HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Worst GM In Montreal's History

View Poll Results: Who's The Worst?
Irving Grundman 12 4.74%
Rejean Houle 205 81.03%
Bob Gainey 20 7.91%
Pierre Gauthier 16 6.32%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
How is this even a question? its Houle. Our run of mediocrity was his handiwork.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
SeriousHabs

Gauthier at 0? Surprising. I am a sheep, voted Houle!

Roy trade.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Houle. But he wasn't a GM. Corey thought he was which was the dumbest mistake of them all. Yet, he was appointed as one so he is the worst one. But based on ratio experience/results? Gainey gets it. Gauthier not that far behind yet we will not be there as a GM that long to get the trophy.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Houle is the worse yes but he was thrown in the wolves by Corey who had no idea what he was doing.

Gainey/Gauthier on the other hand had GM experience and completely mismanaged assets on this team.

It's ok to trade guys like Ribeiro, Latendresse, S.Kostitsyn and Grabovski if they don't fit with the team but get some ****ing return for your value. Those 4 guys were traded for Niinimaa, Pouliot, Ellis, Boyd, Pateryn and a 5th. Only ****ing Pateryn is left from those trades and most of the players we traded away are still young. It's ridiculous.

The Gomez trade just puts it over the top. To trade a great young prospect who is developing to be a solid top pair guy for an over the hill veteran who makes more than most stars in the league was brutal. Add to the trade Higgins, who was a solid top 9 player.

The team drafted well under Gainey (thank you Timmins) but I have never seen assets being mismanaged like that in my life.

Only trade I could say we won with Gainey was the Pacioretty/Gorges trade for Rivet. Every other is up for debate or a loss.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Go Habs Go

Houle could've been Milbury's mentor

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Once again, all the kids who think Gainey was bad have NO CLUE what Houle/Corey did to a perfectly solid Habs team.

Gainey made a few critical errors... but Houle utterly destroyed, man.

I remember lying awake at night thinking "WTF???" after he pulled YET another one of his crappy trades.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:44 PM
OneSharpMarble

Gainey was more below average than "god awful". His gomez trade was a disaster but he didn't dismantle a whole decade.

If you voted gauthier you should get your head examined.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Houle, and it's not even close, wasn't really totally his fault (Corey is to blame for all of this), but he was the man in charge, so he gets the vote, easily.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
VL55

Grundman is in the discussion because of Wickenheiser?

Doug Wickenheiser was big, strong, a center and had just scored 89 goals and 170 points in the WHL. He looked a damn good bet!

Denis Savard was a great choice and in fact had slightly better number (181 points but significantly less goals). But he had enough question marks that he wasn't even second overall but third choice of the draft. He was smaller, a wingman, had posted his numbers in a slightly weaker league etc. He seemed to have a bit less value. In hindsight, he had the runaway best career of the draft but I don't see how picking Doug was dumb given what he had shown. Today's crowd would scream bloody murder if we let passed someone like him at the draft ('Big center! Big Center! Arg! *stroke*).

When you get pocket aces preflop, you gotta bet them. If pocket kings break them, so be it, you still can't second guess your bet.

Houle was the worst, no Question. Gainey was actually above average in his first few years. He did improve the team a lot from the Houle mess. Then it sadly went downhill. We all know the events it coincided with so I'll cut him a break.

Gauthier on the other hand might be solidifying his hold on the number two spot.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Rejean Houle is probably the worst but Gainey got my vote. I would like to take this opportunity and say again:
**** you Mr. Gainey, and **** you Mr. Gauthier.
It's the first time thay you take this opportunity, no?

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
tinyzombies

I like Gauthier. That Kaberle trade tho... he was gambling that Kabs would keep us around until Markov? Ugly. But that Markov gamble will pay off long run. I like his other moves, other than not landing a biggy and going for "depth". He dumped Kostitsyn - hurray!

Houle had some nice finds, or some nice people working for him.

Grundman...no win situation, and he was not in charge. Nobody could have solved that. He lost a couple Hall of Famers before he started.

Gainey did well... if that meant not sacrificing all for a Cup... he did as well as anyone could. Not even Pollock could have done better with that mandate. His patchwork was genius. I wished he would have gone for it all. I suspect he'll be back as a GM one day. Maybe he'll lose his desire for gentle boys (Turgeon, Audette, Hogue, etc.)

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-23-2012 at 01:44 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:07 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Grundman is in the discussion because of Wickenheiser?

Doug Wickenheiser was big, strong, a center and had just scored 89 goals and 170 points in the WHL. He looked a damn good bet!

Denis Savard was a great choice and in fact had slightly better number (181 points but significantly less goals). But he had enough question marks that he wasn't even second overall but third choice of the draft. He was smaller, a wingman, had posted his numbers in a slightly weaker league etc. He seemed to have a bit less value. In hindsight, he had the runaway best career of the draft but I don't see how picking Doug was dumb given what he had shown. Today's crowd would scream bloody murder if we let passed someone like him at the draft ('Big center! Big Center! Arg! *stroke*).

When you get pocket aces preflop, you gotta bet them. If pocket kings break them, so be it, you still can't second guess your bet.

Houle was the worst, no Question. Gainey was actually above average in his first few years. He did improve the team a lot from the Houle mess. Then it sadly went downhill. We all know the events it coincided with so I'll cut him a break.

Gauthier on the other hand might be solidifying his hold on the number two spot.
Langway trade was kind of dumb

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Subban76

There's no debate here, Houle hands down. Anyone old enough to have lived those years knows.

Terrible trades, worst drafting ever, BG & PG don't even come close to Houle, and I mean not even close

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The end result might be bad for Gauthier, but at least he had some good and some bad moments (more bad than goods).

There is nothing good that came out of Houle's reign.
Sheldon Souray, Mike Ribeiro, Andrei Markov, Eric Weinrich, Francois Beauchemin and Michael Ryder.

There was some good.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:55 AM
StanAjax

Yeah, Houle is the winner, no doubt.

For some reason, I always thought he would trade himself for Mike Milbury. Guess that would have made too much sense, though.

Blame Corey and Molson for his tenure, though. Seeing the most skilled players leave year after year leaving Koivu with scrubs like Craig Darby, Juha Lind, Johan Witehall...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:51 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Houle made me stop watching hockey for a bit. I'll go with him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
idk

Houle. Far and away Houle is the worst GM in recent history. You can discuss the reasons behind this all you want (little experience, meddling upper management) but the fact remains that Houle took a team that had been a contender for for at least two decades and systematically destroyed it. Even setting aside the Roy trade - Odelein for a broken down Richer? Turgeon, Fitzpatrick and Conroy for a broken down Corson and Murray Baron? Bure for Zalapski and Hoglund? Brashear for Cullimore? Acquiring Juha Lind for Scott Thornton (not an offensive dynamo himself, but he would score in his next season more than Juha Lind scored in the rest of his career)? A first round pick (10th overall) for a Trevor Linden that hadn't broken 20 goals in four years?

Sorry - we can bemoan the Gomez signing and the Kaberle trade but those have nothing, nothing on the farce that was the Rejean Houle era.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:43 AM
CGG

Interesting that Houle seems to be getting praised for finding Ribeiro, Ryder and Markov in the draft while ignoring all the crap choices he made (Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, etc etc) but all the great picks that Gainey made (Halak, Streit, Subban, Maxpac, Price over Brule) he gets no credit at all for - it was all Timmins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
The team drafted well under Gainey (thank you Timmins) but I have never seen assets being mismanaged like that in my life.

Only trade I could say we won with Gainey was the Pacioretty/Gorges trade for Rivet. Every other is up for debate or a loss.
Okay. Kovalev trade. Debate it. I say it was a great move. You apparently think it was a loss and would have preferred Jozef Balej and a 2nd round pick that never made the NHL?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
CGG

When trying to blame the demise of the Habs on a GM, let's not let Serge Savard off the hook entirely either. He did win 2 Cups, but accelerated the run into mediocrity with a few terrible moves like:

-Chelios for Savard - Denis was eventually dispatched to the Lightning for no return, this was far worse than the Gomez trade IMO
-Desjardins, LeClair, Dionne for Recchi - didn't work out so well
-Guy Carbonneau for Jim Montgomery - yes this actually happened
-Bellows for Marc Bureau - Bellows got more points with the Lightning the following season than Bureau got in 3 years for the Habs
-Lebeau for Tugnutt - before Tugnutt was anywhere close to decent
-Muller & Schneider for Turgeon & Malakhov - Turgeon was the best player at that point, but the D really suffered losing Schneider after Desjardins was gone too

And let's not forget his draft record. Here's his first round picks:

Alfie Turcotte
Petr Svoboda
Shayne Corson
Jose Charbonneau
Tom Chorske
Mark Pederson
Andrew Cassels
Eric Charron
Lindsay Vallis
Turner Stevenson
Brent Bilodeau
David Wilkie
Saku Koivu
Brad Brown
Terry Ryan

I count 3 decent NHL'ers out of 15 first round picks.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:21 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I voted Gainey.

Houle had to cope with a scouting staff that became dormant under Savard, with Ronald Corey who micromanaged everything and an ownership group that demanded he shed payroll.

Gainey had Timmins - one of the best head scouts in the business - and he still manged to destroy this team. He has no excuse for his terrible moves except that he's a terrible GM.
And don't forget the money Gainey worked with compared to Houle.

Houle and Gainey were the worst GMs ever... but because Gainey had so much money to work with, he gets my vote.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

Alfie Turcotte
Petr Svoboda
Shayne Corson
Jose Charbonneau
Tom Chorske
Mark Pederson
Andrew Cassels
Eric Charron
Lindsay Vallis
Turner Stevenson
Brent Bilodeau
David Wilkie
Saku Koivu
Brad Brown
Terry Ryan

Koivu, Cassels, Svoboda, Corson.

That's 4 players who were, at least at some point in their career, 1st line / 1st pairing players.

I'd add Turner Stevenson (644 games, 190 pts) as a decent NHLer. A bad 1st round pick with hands of stone, but still a decent NHLer. Same can be said for Chorske.

And then, there are those great picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... rounds : Lemieux, Richer, Roy, LeClair, Desjardins, Schneider, and then you also have Lumme, Odelein, Brisebois, Conroy, Savage, Rivet, Bure, Tucker, Theodore, Vokoun, Robidas.

That's a bad 1st round record, but, overall, it's not too shabby.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
MathMan

Houle AINEC.

Familiarity breeds contempt, but for all their flaws, Gainey and Gauthier don't even belong in the discussion.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:04 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Houle and it's not even close. Anyone that picks Gainey has no clue about hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
When trying to blame the demise of the Habs on a GM, let's not let Serge Savard off the hook entirely either. He did win 2 Cups, but accelerated the run into mediocrity with a few terrible moves like:

-Chelios for Savard - Denis was eventually dispatched to the Lightning for no return, this was far worse than the Gomez trade IMO
-Desjardins, LeClair, Dionne for Recchi - didn't work out so well
-Guy Carbonneau for Jim Montgomery - yes this actually happened
-Bellows for Marc Bureau - Bellows got more points with the Lightning the following season than Bureau got in 3 years for the Habs
-Lebeau for Tugnutt - before Tugnutt was anywhere close to decent
-Muller & Schneider for Turgeon & Malakhov - Turgeon was the best player at that point, but the D really suffered losing Schneider after Desjardins was gone too NOT A TERRIBLE TRADE BY ANY STRETCH

Alfie Turcotte
Petr Svoboda
Shayne Corson
Jose Charbonneau
Tom Chorske
Mark Pederson
Andrew Cassels
Eric Charron
Lindsay Vallis
Turner Stevenson
Brent Bilodeau
David Wilkie
Saku Koivu
Brad Brown
Terry Ryan

I count 5 decent or better NHLers

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
optimus2861

Anyone who is not casting a vote for Houle couldn't have lived through that hellish era. The man was in completely over his head. Got fleeced on virtually every trade he made. The team went from a declining but still somewhat competitive one to an absolute trainwreck under his watch.

There aren't enough rotten things to say about he, Tremblay, or Ron Corey. That trio earns a special place in Canadiens hell!

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote