HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2011-12 Season Thread (Part 2)

Old
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2011-12 Season Thread (Part 2)

Previous thread reached the 1,000 post limit. Continue the discussion here.

Link to last thread.

03-18-2012, 10:44 PM
coltsfan3035

Game one this Thursday at the BMC and boy am I excited! Hopefully the boys all rally for Tanner and play like we all know they can!

coltsfan3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Wiley Old Vet

Saw the replay on the news and... ouch. Losing Pearson hurts. Poor kid. His was the best story in the league this year, by far. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
At least the Colts have some depth but overcoming that will be tough. He had a habit of scoring at the right times and it was fun watching him play at that level. He never takes a shift off. I don't see all the games but the ones I do see I always thought he has one of the top performers.
The Colts have had a great year and they should be able to win the first round but anything can happen and the Majors seem to have the Colts number this year. All the east series should be tough this year. I wonder what the upset will be?

Wiley Old Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 453
I think all the games will be close and we will be getting Behenna back for game 3 so I think we should be able to beat the Majors in 6 games. Will be at the game on Thursday, so I hope they win. And does anybody know how long Pearson will be out for because I have heard a few different time frames for his injury.

LeafsColts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
loo

Play offs are here Mr. Wilson

Guess it all depends on where you're sitting. If its on the bench most of the time, a long suspension to a top six forward could pretty much make your whole month. One man gathers what another man spills... As per Mr. Wilson

Still feel the same about developing players with the team heading into the play offs. Pearson down, Behenna suspended can your boys of interest step up?
Not quite the same opinion on Halmo suspension, no mention of player development there. You must be from the GHTL ...where you developed this talent.

loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
MrWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by loo View Post
Guess it all depends on where you're sitting. If its on the bench most of the time, a long suspension to a top six forward could pretty much make your whole month. One man gathers what another man spills... As per Mr. Wilson

Still feel the same about developing players with the team heading into the play offs. Pearson down, Behenna suspended can your boys of interest step up?
Not quite the same opinion on Halmo suspension, no mention of player development there. You must be from the GHTL ...where you developed this talent.
I'm flattered...being quoted by such a font of hockey knowledge is indeed humbling...

'Feel' is a strong word. Not much to feel about it, but since you mention it, sure I do. Ask any one of those '94 boys if they would rather sit than play. On this team, I have no 'boys of interest.' Not sure where that came from. They're simply young players that should have been developed better by this organization IMHO.

Halmo being suspended is a joke and you know it. But, the situation is the same. Someone will be playing more on that team now that he's out. I'm not sure there is any inconsistency here. I don't agree with the suspension, but it does bode well for a player watching Halmo from the bench. Again, its not really about the "playoffs" in the OHL, but making it to the NHL. Tough for any player to do that, especially from the bench. Halmo has had plenty of time to prove he belongs in the NHL--and he does. Some are still looking for that chance and they're about to get it. I hope they make the most of it.

The Colts have made it to the postseason, so I stand corrected. Honestly i didn't think they would. Two of the guys that got them there are out, so I doubt they'll last long. But hey, the young guys will get to play. Works for me. I'll enjoy watching them a lot more.

MrWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
loo

1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd round draft picks make the jump to the OHL their 1st year out. Some are fortunate to play as under agers at Teir 2 or Jr. B. When these players make the jump the next year they are already a full year behind in development.
They have to tough it out make use of every stitch of game time they can. Hopefully next year they will show the growth as Pearson, Schief, Behenna, Beyers, and a few others that were rookies. None of these guys were 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks and all were cuts their 1st year out to camp.
There is no doubt in my mind that all the 94's on this team this year will show their experience next year and be rewared with ice time.
There is no easy way to get ice time for 5th round drafts and higher, in their 1st year in the league, you must earn it.

loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Wiley Old Vet

I think you guys are missing the point wrt playing the young guys, all of them, not just the big name guys. Yes, a big part should be to help develop the players so they get noticed. More importantly though is you have to give them playing time in lots of "non-critical situations" during the season so that if you get injuries during critical situations they can fill in. It also gives the key players a chance to be fresher come the playoffs when shortening the bench is more important. Owen Sound plays their rookies during the year and it shows. They just can't replace a guy like Halmo though so your comparison is off base. The Colts can't replace Pearson either. I for one would rather start talking about the games instead of Hawerchuk's coaching philosophy wrt the rookies. Tired subject at this point.
I think they have enough depth to get deep into the second and maybe into the third round but it will be a grind and be harder without him.

Old
03-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Wiley Old Vet

I would really like to see this team do well in the playoffs. They seem like a good group of kids and after last season the atmosphere is really positive. They aren't as complete as they were in 2009/10,that team was scary good, but that makes it almost better for me.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
NHL Fanatic

Barrie vs Mississauga game one tonight, this series will be very low scoring. Both teams can play defense, scoring will be crucial. Barrie has more offensive talent up front but have had trouble scoring goals. Tanner Pearson loss was a huge blow but if Scheifele, Telegin and Behenna can step up this series can be over before it starts. Personally based on the Majors play in the last few Months, I have them taking this series in 6 or 7.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 03-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.
NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
NHL Fanatic

Was in Barrie for game one tonight, Barrie played well. Ivan Telegin was impressive. He definitely stepped up with Tanner Pearson out. He scored 2 goals, one which was beautifully set up by Scheifele. His speed is off the charts, it looked like he was never tired all game. Aaron Ekblad was solid in holding down the fort. He is so smart with the puck it's almost effortless. Mississauga's first line was no where to be seen, they looked tired out there. Brandon Maxwell had a very solid game in keeping the game close. 2-1, until the empty netter. Brandon Maxwell delivered a brutal two handed slash to Telegin on the skates with 0.4 seconds on the clock behind the play. The refs missed the play but if the league reviews the play I would assume a possible suspension for Maxwell.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:51 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Was in Barrie for game one tonight, Barrie played well. Ivan Telegin was impressive. He definitely stepped up with Tanner Pearson out. He scored 2 goals, one which was beautifully set up by Scheifele. His speed is off the charts, it looked like he was never tired all game.
Tonight wasn't Telegin stepping up, it's Telegin playing exactly the same way he's played for the past two months. Far and away the best Colt over the past 60 days. Tonight was the big test for the Colts. Had to win at home, and with CB24 back on Monday there is no reason they shouldn't win in 6, and if we're lucky 5 games.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:55 AM
coltsfan3035

Good job by the boys last night to go up 1-0 in the series. Very defensive series it's looking like its going to be, with the difference likely to come down to special teams. Colts 1/3 on PP, Majors 0/5 last night. Great job by Sutch blocking endless pucks, PK was solid, once again Telegin was a force all night for us.(I wonder if he'll ever get noticed around the league) Solid games from the d core also shutting down the majors top line. Berger with a strong game also.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Tonight wasn't Telegin stepping up, it's Telegin playing exactly the same way he's played for the past two months. Far and away the best Colt over the past 60 days. Tonight was the big test for the Colts. Had to win at home, and with CB24 back on Monday there is no reason they shouldn't win in 6, and if we're lucky 5 games.
Seeing him on TV is completely different than seeing him play live, you get more of an appreciation of his game. Telegin is so dynamic and his speed is just on another level. He see's the ice well and is in very good position. Mississauga has their hands full with Barrie's top line.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 03-23-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
LeafsColts13

The Colts played well and hopefully they take a 2-0 series lead tonight. I noticed the Colts started to take over after that great shift by Ezikiel, Sutch and Bradford and everybody had a good game. The one thing I was surprised about was the amount of people in the arena. This is my first playoff game at the BMC since I moved to Barrie and I thought it would be sold out, but it was the least amount of people I have seen this year. Anyways the way they played last night I think they can get it done in 5 games.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:54 PM
hockeykid87

How has Ekblad looked lately? Really interested in this kids development, I hope he becomes a force in the NHL in a couple years

hockeykid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
This is my first playoff game at the BMC since I moved to Barrie and I thought it would be sold out, but it was the least amount of people I have seen this year.
This is the first time I've ever seen a playoff game that poorly attended. Very disappointing. No idea what happened, but hopefully we get back to our usual playoff crowds on Monday.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
How has Ekblad looked lately? Really interested in this kids development, I hope he becomes a force in the NHL in a couple years
As good as he is, I am absolutely positive that Ekblad will not be a force in the NHL in a couple of years - he has to play a minimum two more years in the OHL! Seriously though, he's progressed well and is playing top two minutes (though maybe Buonomo has earned being on that top pairing). This experience will help him down the road. His shot from the point looks like it will be lethal in a couple years...18 inches off the ground and able to get it through. It will probably take him a couple years after that to make a big impact at the NHL level, but it certainly looks like he will at some point.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:06 PM
LeafsColts13

Bad game tonight. Hopefully a weekend of practice and the return of Behenna will get them back on track. I think I will try to go to game 4 in Missy, should be easy to get a ticket.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:50 AM
NHL Fanatic

The game in Mississauga was really physical. Cord and Kuptsov got away with some questionable head hits. Mississauga took Barrie players off their game which led to Barrie taking many undisciplined penalties. I don't know what Harvey said to Camara that made him flip, but after both players got sent off Camara tried to get into the Majors dressing room. Behenna must be a factor as he returns to the lineup.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
The game in Mississauga was really physical. Cord and Kuptsov got away with some questionable head hits. Mississauga took Barrie players off their game which led to Barrie taking many undisciplined penalties.
I think it was the questionable headshots (especially the one on Ekblad) and the lack of penalty calls that seemed to unravel the Colts. I missed it, but understand Surch got thrown out for nothing...it would be nice if officiating isn't the story tomorrow...

Old
03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
coltsfan3035

Officiating not the question tonight as the colts get 9 pps to the majors 3. Great game by the colts! Telegin continues his tear, Beyers 2 assists, Buonomo 2 PP assists, OC 1g 1a! Great all around game, bergs was lights out as well for the SO!

Old
03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
doogie24

Any word on why Zach Hall didn't play tonight?

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:42 AM
NHL Fanatic

Officiating has been really inconsistent in this series. This is playoff hockey, and the refs have been controlling the outcomes of the games IMO. Solid game by the Colts tonight, will be a good one tomorrow.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:48 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Any word on why Zach Hall didn't play tonight?
Saw him in the stands. He didn't say what the injury was, but hopefully he'll be back soon (Saturday?).