HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Hey - this was an article from the Globe and Mail (which is the more widely circulated of two national newspapers in Canada) on the hit:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2378559/

It makes no reference to Sedin's earlier hit on Keith.

Of interest?

Quote:
The decision on Keith will be one of the bigger calls this season by NHL senior vice-president Brendan Shanahan and the newly created department of player safety. The Keith-Sedin situation involves two of the league’s best players and what appears, at least on tape, to be a fairly deliberate elbow to the head.
Quote:
What is arguably the best rivalry in hockey has become even more intense. There have been 35 Vancouver-Chicago games over the past four seasons, with three playoff battles. Another seven this spring could be spectacular.

During Wednesday night’s first intermission, Canucks winger Jannik Hansen put it plainly: “They don’t like us, and I know we hate them, it’s pretty straightforward.”
I'm glad the Globe pointed this out given the fact that the Canadian media often makes it sound like Canadians only care about Canada/Canada match-ups...which is not at all the case.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 03-23-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: accidentally cut off a sentence
Old
03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Someone tweeted early this evening that because it's a phone hearing, it will be 5 games max.

Not that anyone thought it'd be more than 5.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Yeah, Bob McKenzie mentioned it earlier. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets all 5. He has no prior record, but it it was deliberate.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
DirkGraham

In the main board, they are talking 10 games or the rest of the regular season and part of the playoffs. I personally think he will get 5. I sure hope it's less but think as he only got 2 minutes last night, it will be extra harsh.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:03 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
It was clearly a malicious hit. Just amps up the rivalry and keeps us in sixth place hopefully.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

The main board is like the plague

Old
03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
He will get 5 games. It was a dirty ass hit, but Sedin did go after him first and didn't get the job done. If people thought our rivalry was winding down, it just got a lot worse last night. I doubt anyone in Vancouver gives a **** about Boston anymore. If by some odd chance we face them in the 2nd round it will be a war.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Not looking to stir anything up, just want to provide an update.

Apparently they have asked Keith to do an in person hearing.

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Meaning Keith could receive 5 or more games. Also told his #NHL hearing could be pushed back much later then the one scheduled for Fri 2pm.

5m Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Hearing tonite #NHL has in fact decided to ask #Blackhawks D. Keith to waive his right to in person hearing for elbow on #Canucks D. Sedin

Old
03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

yeah...i've avoided the main board like a plague on this issue. which is why i figured i could share this particular article on the Hawks forum without everyone totally freaking out!

The one thing I would mention is that the article is a little more *homer* than what the media in Toronto i've heard reflects.

I want to be careful...b/c the last thing this board needs is more trolling - but i'll just say that the Hawks/Van game was national on TSN...there are a *ton* of hockey fans in Canada (myself included) who do not like the Canucks.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
Yeah, Bob McKenzie mentioned it earlier. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets all 5. He has no prior record, but it it was deliberate.
It will be interesting to see. I think 5 is heavy. I really hope Sedin's behaviour doesn't go ignored. I don't think Sedin's hit was at the same level of Keith...but I think S's hit should get some reaction.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Illinihockey

After seeing the Borque hit on Backstrom and the Doan hit on Benn, I'm not sure how Keith could get any more than 5 games. I still say 3.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBunny View Post
Not looking to stir anything up, just want to provide an update.

Apparently they have asked Keith to do an in person hearing.

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Meaning Keith could receive 5 or more games. Also told his #NHL hearing could be pushed back much later then the one scheduled for Fri 2pm.

5m Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Hearing tonite #NHL has in fact decided to ask #Blackhawks D. Keith to waive his right to in person hearing for elbow on #Canucks D. Sedin
Also, not trying to stir the pot but has anyone mentioned Daniel's intentional hit on Keith(no where near as malicious but still an attempt of a headshot).?

Old
03-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Pepe Silvia

yeah 5 games kinda seems like a lot. im thinkin 3 games as well

Old
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Pepe Silvia

this whole thing never would have happened if sedin didn't start it. keith's hit was dirty, but sedin kind of brought in on himself

Old
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Also, not trying to stir the pot but has anyone mentioned Daniel's intentional hit on Keith(no where near as malicious but still an attempt of a headshot).?
I don't think Daniel has a hearing (phone or in person) as of yet, maybe they want to sort it out (suspend/fine) him when they announce Keith's verdict.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Illinihockey

Just as an FYI, there have been 3 suspensions this year over 5 games in the NHL. Wisniewski for his hit on Clutterbuck (repeat offender), Carcillo for his hit on Gilbert (repeat offender), and Andy Sutton for his hit on Alexi Ponikarvsky. Both Sutton and Carcillo were already suspended this year for bad hits before getting a 8 and 7 game ban respectively.

People receiving 5 games for hits you have: Shelly (repeat offender), Brendan Smith, Andy Sutton (repeat offender), Renee Borqure (2nd suspension this year), Brad Marchand (repeat offender).

In summary, I'd be stunned if he even got 5 games looking at the suspensions handed out this year.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Bob McKenzie is tweeting about it now: https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie
I am told no decision of any kind will be made until the morning. So all of this very much remains up in air but it's become complicated.
Ya got that right!

Now I wouldn't be shocked if they gave him the rest of the regular season. So that would be 7 games.

I remember that massive suspension they gave Cooke last year, but that was Cooke.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
Bob McKenzie is tweeting about it now: https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Ya got that right!

Now I wouldn't be shocked if they gave him the rest of the regular season. So that would be 7 games.

I remember that massive suspension they gave Cooke last year, but that was Cooke.
7 games would be the 2nd longest suspension of the season. No player without prior discipline has been suspended that long.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:52 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
7 games would be the 2nd longest suspension of the season. No player without prior discipline has been suspended that long.
I agree that 7 would be long. He has no history, but I don't have a good feeling. Perhaps they want to make an example since it was intentional.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Canuck fan here coming in peace.

Rivalries aside and even if this wasn't a Canucks player, I truly believe that headshots do need to be taken out of the game.. Here are the tweets that I have accumulated throughout the night.

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper

Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Its unknown at this point in time whether #Blackhawks Keith who's is 'susp' indefinitely by #NHL has waived right to in person hearing or not

I am told no decision of any kind will be made until the morning. So all of this very much remains up in air but it's become complicated.

Bob McKenzie ‏ ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
League apparently indicated to CHI and Keith earlier today the hearing would be over phone (5 or less games).

Hours later, NHL indicated it wanted an in person (potential to suspend for 6 or more) hearing instead.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Ubi Sunt
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

Keith is a ****ing idiot and deserves a really long suspension.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:02 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
Keith is a ****ing idiot and deserves a really long suspension.
If he's suspended as long as I think he's going to be, he needs to make a public apology to the team and the fans. This can be very costly to the team. Probably send Sedin a fruitbasket too.

I like that he stuck up for himself, but that's not the way to do it.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:05 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Canuck fan here coming in peace.

Rivalries aside and even if this wasn't a Canucks player, I truly believe that headshots do need to be taken out of the game.. .
I agree with you that Keith's hit was pretty dirty and needs to be addressed. However, it bugs me that Sedin's hit might well go ignored. I don't agree with the "tit-for-tat" mentality. No matter what happened to Keith, he deserves a suspension...but with that said, no matter what happened to Sedin i think he, at a minimum, deserves at least a game.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 03-23-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: just correcting my always bad spelling
Old
03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBunny View Post
I don't think Daniel has a hearing (phone or in person) as of yet, maybe they want to sort it out (suspend/fine) him when they announce Keith's verdict.
i mean it seemed like daniel did it on purpose but thats only a fine imo, keith needs to control his emotions that was terribly stupid and probably will sit for the remainder of the season, every time you watch that hit, its just gross

Old
03-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Ubi Sunt
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

No one would even remember Sedin's hit if it weren't for Keith's retaliation.

It was a chicken**** hit that warranted retaliation, but not at the level Keith took it to. He should have just clowned him like Marchand.

Now he'll probably sit for the rest of the regular season.

Closed Thread