Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 500
I'm definitely on board with the Faksa pick.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Well, I guess I better post the link.

Posts #6 and #8.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...aksa+landeskog

Here is another good thread too.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...aksa+landeskog

Wow, that's pretty intruiging considering the impact Landeskog is having already. This draft is starting to sound like the top ~12 are very strong with the top 2 being the obvious premiere players.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Enstrom's worth is right now at an all-time low. He is having arguably his worst season in the NHL and is only one year away from UFA. He is not a defensive stalwart, and his pace offensive is not great this year and overall has just been average. Right now his value is not that high.

Right now even at 6 I take Radek Faksa. This guy just oozes character and potential. I am starting to think he might be a Mike Richards part 2. 55-75 point two way center, that hits, PKs, PPs, works hard, captain material, blocks shots, sets up teammates, bascially the entire package (except Faksa is 4 inches, 30 pounds (when he's filled out) bigger). Yeah, this is the guy I want. Faksa - Scheifele - Burmistrov down the middle will be scary in a couple years.
Let's get the word from Dale

Old
03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Rheged
JMFT

At this point I think I'd be happy with any of 20 or so of the first round rated prospects. The defense was always regarded as really strong but the further along we get the more its seeming like there are 8-9 pretty good forward prospects too.

One way or another I think at least I'll be a happy camper with who we get in this draft.

Old
03-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
At this point I think I'd be happy with any of 20 or so of the first round rated prospects. The defense was always regarded as really strong but the further along we get the more its seeming like there are 8-9 pretty good forward prospects too.

One way or another I think at least I'll be a happy camper with who we get in this draft.
I agree. There may not be too many studs in this draft, then again there may be? But, there does appear to be a solid and respectable amount of forwards and defenseman.

Forwards in really no particular order - Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Faksa, Gaunce.

Defenseman - Dumba, Reinhart, Reilly, Ceci, Koekkoek, Murray, Finn, Trouba, etc.

I think no matter what, we'll get ourselves a quality player given as we'll likely be around the top 10.

03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think no matter what, we'll get ourselves a quality player given as we'll likely be just outside the top 10.
And then right after the draft some people on here can rage on TNSE for not picking the guy that "they" think was the best and the cycle can continue....

Old
03-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
And then right after the draft some people on here can rage on TNSE for not picking the guy that "they" think was the best and the cycle can continue....
by "they think" i'm going to assume you mean higher rated by CSS?

But jokes aside. There's a couple of guys i'd love to see us get, Faksa being the main one.

Obviously there are better guys I'd love to have, but Faksa is ranked (or at least was) in a range for us to have reason to believe we can get him.

And as Rheged stated, with the more the season goes, the stronger the forwards start to look, this is a good thing. Though we could use a stud d man for sure, I think we can afford to wait a little longer on it, where as we have a pressing need for quality forwards.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Well I'm bored, so I thought I'd share the results of the 7 round mock I took part in on hf here, with some reasoning (I was the Jets obviously). Here's the link to the draft, if anybody cares.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1106269

WARNING, THIS IS A LONG POST

Round 1 (9th) - C Radek Faksa, Kitchener (OHL)
Notables already gone: C Alex Galchenyuk, D Jacob Trouba, C Brendan Gaunce. Galchenyuk has tons of talent, but the injury concerns and concerns that he is a Sam Gagner to Yakupov's Kane might have him slip. Trouba has good size, great skater committed to the U of Michigan. Nice player, but taken too high in this mock, IMO. Gaunce is another big center, but I do not think his offensive upside nor physicality compare to quite to Faksa.
Reason: I think I've been over why I am high on Faksa. He is the complete package. Plays both ends of the rink, good skater, likes to play physical, good great size. Honestly this guy is pretty close to being able to step in next year as a 3rd line C, with lots of offensive upside. He is on a huge upswing ala Scheifele. Definitely my pick for the draft.
Others Considered: RW Martin Frk, D Griffin Reinhart, C Zemgus Girgensons. Frk has come back very very strong from his concussion, plays like a wrecking ball with great hands and speed. Dustin Brown potential. Reinhart is a very big defenseman that is solid defensively and has lots of offensive upside. If Faksa was gone, likely would have taken him. Girgensons does not have the offensive upside, but a big smooth skating center, he will at very worst be a great 3rd line C, IMO (bigger Jim Slater at worst) but does have good hands as well.

Round 2 (39th) - C Henrik Samuelsson, Edmonton (WHL)
Notables already gone: D Brady Skjei, C Tomas Hertl, LW Tanner Pearson. Skjei is a big smooth skating D, like him alot. Hertl is tearing it up with a really weak team in the CZE men's league, he has great hands, wicked shot and great offensive instincts. Would have LOVED to grab him at 39, but the odds he slips out of first round are slim. I am not as high on Pearson as others. He is a solid player, but probably a mid-second rounder, IMO. I take Samuelsson over him easily.
Reason: Henrik Samuelsson is an intgriuing player. Son of former NHLer Ulf Samuelsson, he plays with that same edge. Grew up in USA, played USDP, but then moved to Sweden at the start of this year. Did not like it, came back to NA and has been lights out with the Oil Kings. Loves to grind, hit, drive the net and overall be a pain in the ass to the other teams, but he also skates well and has a very good set of hands. Is a late riser, a steal at 39 IMO, at the real draft I see him going first round.
Others Considered: LW Daniil Zharkov, D Hampus Lindholm, D Damon Severson. Zharkov is another big winger that is deadly offensively. Doesn't mind using his size. Struggles with consistancy though. Lindholm has great offensive upside, good size, good skater, solid second round prospect. Severson is who I would have taken if Samuelsson did not slip to me. Average size, but filled out well already, he has great shot, physical, good skater and is electrifying player, for alot reasons. Needs to work alot on consistancy, but is still young.

Round 3 (69th) - D Trevor Carrick, Mississauga (OHL)
Notables already gone: C Lukas Sutter, RW Tomas Hyka, D Damon Severson. Son of NHLer Rich Sutter, Lukas does not possess great size, but he is gritty as hell and loves to mix it up. Is showing lots of offensive potential this year as well. Hyka was passed over last year, but after a great camp in Philly, Philly tried to sign him, found out the couldn't and let everybody in on the secret that is Hyka. Got fantastic wheels, great hands, smart hockey player, could end up one of the steals of the draft. Little bit small though. Severson I've been over, was really hoping that he would slip to 69.
Reason: Carrick might be a little early but he might just be a Yuen type of steal. He has decent size at 6'2'' 175lbs for a 17 year old and is just a very very smooth skater and very steady player. Does not make mistakes defensively. His offensive game is still raw, but there might still be upside there.
Others Considered: G Andrei Makarov, D Jake McCabe, LW Coda Gordon. Makarov was passed over last year then released by his QMJHL team, but he has really come into his own this year with Saskatoon as the starter there. Played really well all season as the starter for the weak team. Little on the small side for a goalie, but also played solid at the WJC for Russia. McCabe is a solid safe stocky defenseman that has shown some offensive potential this year as a freshman. Some injury concerns though. Gordon was red hot to start the year, but cooled off as it went on. Knows how to find the back of the net though.

Round 5 (129th) - G Patrik Bartosak, Red Deer (WHL)
Reason: Bartosak was passed over completely last year despite some very very good numbers in the CZE junior leagues. He came over to NA with Red Deer this year and quickly took the starting spot and ran with it. He was great until a devastating shoulder injury ended his season and the Rebels fell apart completely after that. He is a just average size, but lead all rookies in SVP, 4th in the whole league. Could be a steal that slips due to injury.
Others Considered: LW Christoph Bertschy, G Jake Paterson, G Jon Gillies
Bertschy is a solid young Swiss player. He has unreal hands and a good skater, but his size and him being a perimeter player raise red alarms for me. Whether he can be successful on the small ice surface remains to be seen. Paterson is solid goalie prospect, put together a fine season, but just average size and Bartosak is just better IMO. Gillies is a huge goalie out of the USHL, has played solid if unspectacular there. A project, but has lots of upside.

Round 6 (159th) - D Alex Gudbranson, Kingston (OHL)
Reason: Younger brother of Panther Erik Gudbranson, he does not have the natural offensive talent of his brother, but Alex likes to mix it up as well. Solid hitter, gritty, and decent enough size, his upside is really limited but could end a Matt Greene type warrior that everyone wants.

Round 7 (189th) - LW Artemi Panarin, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Reason: With the last pick I swung for the fences. Panarin is not overly big listed at just 5'10'' 168lbs and he has been passed over twice already in the draft, but he had a coming out party this year at just 20 years old. He was given an "A" with Vityaz and lead the team in scoring for much of the year before a late season transfer to Ak Bars Kazan. He has great hands and is a great skater. He is signed in the KHL for one more year, he might never come over/he might not adjust to smaller ice/etc, but he has tremendous upside. Also was great with Russia in the 2010 WJC getting 5pts in the tournament.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Not terribly familiar with the later rounds but Faksa and Samuelsson seem like great value for those picks, would definitely be on board with that.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Huffer

Great Summary Holden. I would be happy if the draft went that way. Really like the Faska pick (Reinhart would be my only other pick there), and like Samuelsson pick as well (although I would also be happy with Lindholm from what I have read about him, it would depend on "intangibles" at that point).

I can't comment much on guys in rounds 3+ as you usually don't get to read much about them. I have read some posts on the boards here that like the goalie Gillies though.

At this point I know we are going to get a really good player with our first pick. I'm now thinking more and more about who we can get with our 2nd. It's early enough that maybe someone good could drop there. You never know.

Great work.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Good draft holden.

As stated before I'd love to get Faksa, Samuellson looks good to.

I think if Makarov's still on the board (in the third-4th) I think I take him. Goalies take a long time to develop, and a prospect with (IMO) very high upside would be great to get in that slot (even if it's not an overly pressing need currently).

Lastly, I can't remember his name but there was a good article linked on here to Swedish power-forward type, expected to go pretty late. Damned if I could recall his name but he sounded intriguing and like a solid project player for a deep pick.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Enstrom's worth is right now at an all-time low. He is having arguably his worst season in the NHL and is only one year away from UFA. He is not a defensive stalwart, and his pace offensive is not great this year and overall has just been average. Right now his value is not that high.

Right now even at 6 I take Radek Faksa. This guy just oozes character and potential. I am starting to think he might be a Mike Richards part 2. 55-75 point two way center, that hits, PKs, PPs, works hard, captain material, blocks shots, sets up teammates, bascially the entire package (except Faksa is 4 inches, 30 pounds (when he's filled out) bigger). Yeah, this is the guy I want. Faksa - Scheifele - Burmistrov down the middle will be scary in a couple years.
first off very nice break down on your mock draft

Holden I have seen Faksa rising quite a bit lately and he is now in the top 10 in some draft prospect rankings that I have seen. I would love to get him if he is still around when we pick but I think the lowest we will fall is 8th or 9th at this point so it could be a squeeze play.

If both Reinhart and Faksa were available when we pick I assume you would go with Faksa?

Old
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
first off very nice break down on your mock draft

Holden I have seen Faksa rising quite a bit lately and he is now in the top 10 in some draft prospect rankings that I have seen. I would love to get him if he is still around when we pick but I think the lowest we will fall is 8th or 9th at this point so it could be a squeeze play.

If both Reinhart and Faksa were available when we pick I assume you would go with Faksa?
Tomorrow is a big game if we lose we are done , maybe not technically but realistically done.

We play some teams behind us , Carolina , TB and on the road mostly If there is a let down or just the other teams play well we could slide a few spots.

Could be from last years spot,7 to 10 I think . Of course we could pull the magic ball like NJ last year but highly unlikely.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
JetsFan815

If Tanner Pearson falls to the second round, the Jets are almost guaranteed to pick him up. He'll be a good pick for us as he seems to be very undervalued by the NHL

Old
03-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
If Tanner Pearson falls to the second round, the Jets are almost guaranteed to pick him up. He'll be a good pick for us as he seems to be very undervalued by the NHL
You are talking about a guy who has been passed over not once but TWICE in the entire draft. Now he is talked about as a 2nd round pick, how is that undervalued? I can name 20-30 guys OFF THE TOP of my head that tore it up in juniors as a 19-20 year old and did nothing at all at the NHL level. He could be a solid player, but he might be just another junior sensation. He has great offensive instincts, decent skater, good shot, decent hands, but no skills that blow you away. Not overly physical, just average size and not particularly good defensively. A true boom or bust type of player, IMO. We'll see, somebody might take a flyer on him late 1st, he might last until 3rd round, it is very hard to tell with overagers like him. I'm thinking that with our 2nd likely being early on there will be better options available at 35-40.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Bane99

If I were going to pick a boom or bust guy I would go after Nikita Gusev. He's been compared to Claude Giroux skill wise by some scouts and has grown two inches since his draft year. He's now 5'11. If he hadn't been 5'9 in his draft year I think he would've been a first round pick. I do like Faksa and Samuelsson as our first two picks though.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Personally I think I might prefer if the JETS drafted a forward like Gaunce, Faksa, or Girgensons unless a defenseman like Trouba, Ceci or Reinhart is deemed the BPA at our pick. Regardless, I feel we will get ourselves a heck of a player in the 1st round. Don't think we'll have a chance at Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

Don't want to gamble the 1st on a player like Collberg or Aberg. Should they drop, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on them in the 2nd round.

To me, Gaunce seems to have Dave Bolland type skills. He could be an offensive catalyst on your 2nd line because he does have the offensive skills to play that game or he can play a solid agitating/checking style on your 3rd and still have the capability of generating scoring chances.

I like the Kopitar comparison to Faksa, but should his offensive abilities not quite translate the way Kopitar's has, Faksa could still round out into a Martin Hanzal type who could anchor your checking line as a shutdown center yet still, slowly develop his scoring touch at the NHL level because he has proven to have it in junior.

As for Girgensons, he's more of a long term project as he is expected to go the NCAA route which could be 3 or 4 seasons, but he very well could be well worth the wait. I'm sure most of us have heard or read the Brind'Amour comparisons with Girgensons. Can't go wrong with that.

I'd really like to see Chevy do some wheeling and dealing to get us either back into the latter part of the 1st round or pick up an additional 2nd rounder. Would have been nice if the draft picks from the Oduya deal were for this year.

With the 2nd rounder (s) I would hope we would target the opposite position of the player chosen in the 1st round. Players in the 2nd round range or latter part of the 1st that have me intrigued are Samuelsson, Teravainen, Collberg, Tom Wilson, Sam Kurker, Hertl and Bystrom.

Where goalies are concerned, I like Dansk and Makarov outside the 2nd round, although it's likely they'll be gone by then.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Personally I think I might prefer if the JETS drafted a forward like Gaunce, Faksa, or Girgensons unless a defenseman like Trouba, Ceci or Reinhart is deemed the BPA at our pick. Regardless, I feel we will get ourselves a heck of a player in the 1st round. Don't think we'll have a chance at Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

Don't want to gamble the 1st on a player like Collberg or Aberg. Should they drop, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on them in the 2nd round.

To me, Gaunce seems to have Dave Bolland type skills. He could be an offensive catalyst on your 2nd line because he does have the offensive skills to play that game or he can play a solid agitating/checking style on your 3rd and still have the capability of generating scoring chances.

I like the Kopitar comparison to Faksa, but should his offensive abilities not quite translate the way Kopitar's has, Faksa could still round out into a Martin Hanzal type who could anchor your checking line as a shutdown center yet still, slowly develop his scoring touch at the NHL level because he has proven to have it in junior.

As for Girgensons, he's more of a long term project as he is expected to go the NCAA route which could be 3 or 4 seasons, but he very well could be well worth the wait. I'm sure most of us have heard or read the Brind'Amour comparisons with Girgensons. Can't go wrong with that.

I'd really like to see Chevy do some wheeling and dealing to get us either back into the latter part of the 1st round or pick up an additional 2nd rounder. Would have been nice if the draft picks from the Oduya deal were for this year.

With the 2nd rounder (s) I would hope we would target the opposite position of the player chosen in the 1st round. Players in the 2nd round range or latter part of the 1st that have me intrigued are Samuelsson, Teravainen, Collberg, Tom Wilson, Sam Kurker, Hertl and Bystrom.

Where goalies are concerned, I like Dansk and Makarov outside the 2nd round, although it's likely they'll be gone by then.
Very nice analysis. Love the comparaisons, all sound pretty good. I think that Faksa might be a little more physical than Kopitar, but not quite as smooth a skater (Kopi has just an unreal stride, it's a thing of beauty) but overall pretty damn good. As much as I like Girgensons (which I really do) I do think that he is a step down from Faksa/Gaunce.

I would be ecstatic if Hertl/Samuelsson fell to us in the 2nd! Honestly I think that you go BPA. If it's two forwards, it's two forwards. If it's two D, you go two D. These players won't be ready for 3-4 years, who knows what you will need then.

Lots of mocks/scouting reports I have seen now have Dansk ABOVE both Vasilevski and Subban, so I am doubting that he will be available even early 2nd, nevermind later than that. Makarov is an interesting player, he could be an early pick, might go much later, hard to say. He played behind a pretty awful Blades team, hard to say. I almost like Bartosak more than him as you could probably get Bartosak 2-3 rounds later.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Anyone know anything about Brendan Gaunce?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...Brendan-Gaunce
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...mplete_player/

Plays centre, leds the Belleville Bulls in scoring in the regular season (68pts in 68 games), just turned 18 and is 6'2 and 212lbs already. Sounds like his skating is his one weakness.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Wpgpage

Hes not bad good play maker seen him twice this year at Fronts games was impressed but not blown away defiantly like Faska better but he would be a solid pick, at around 11/12 range.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
You are talking about a guy who has been passed over not once but TWICE in the entire draft. Now he is talked about as a 2nd round pick, how is that undervalued? I can name 20-30 guys OFF THE TOP of my head that tore it up in juniors as a 19-20 year old and did nothing at all at the NHL level.
My favourite - Craig Endean.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Gil Fisher

It`s unfortunate that a top draft pick has to be sent back to Junior for two years before they can learn the pro game in the minors. The best development for some of these top first rounders would be one year on the Rock and then straight to the NHL. It`d be nice if there was an exemption for the top 15 picks or something.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Gil Fisher

Anybody know how far we can move up in the lottery. Is it two places? Up or down?

We`re solidly in 10th (last) right now, but there`s four teams just 3pts back. IF Rangers and Sens take the points this week, I can see us finishing in the 6-spot.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Anybody know how far we can move up in the lottery. Is it two places? Up or down?

We`re solidly in 10th (last) right now, but there`s four teams just 3pts back. IF Rangers and Sens take the points this week, I can see us finishing in the 6-spot.

the most you can move up is 4 places.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
It`s unfortunate that a top draft pick has to be sent back to Junior for two years before they can learn the pro game in the minors. The best development for some of these top first rounders would be one year on the Rock and then straight to the NHL. It`d be nice if there was an exemption for the top 15 picks or something.
The top 15 guys are exactly the guys the CHL doesn't want to leave the league though

Closed Thread