HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part III (incl. protest discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
University/College Questions Part III (incl. protest discussion)

Continue here as Part II filled up.

Part I: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=755500
Part II: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=915543

Old
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
llamateizer

intersection with sherbrooke and Berri
pretty interesting

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...on-en-accelere

Old
03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
pretty interesting

Or how 200,000 protesters all went in front of Îlot Voyageur...

Old
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Jake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
pretty interesting

wow thats crazy

Old
03-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake5 View Post
wow thats crazy
It was even crazier to see it first hand.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Adamcrazy3

Craziest protest I've seen in my life. I was in favor of the hike but I'm starting to change my mind. I hope Charest feels the same way.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Batali Crocs*

I hope these protesting whiny little *****es all fail their semesters. I'm all for the hike and i'm a concordia student who pays tuition.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
I hope these protesting whiny little *****es all fail their semesters. I'm all for the hike and i'm a concordia student who pays tuition.
To be fair, they did not cause damage and while I am in same position as you, i can respect a peaceful protest.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
If we fail our semester, you will fail yours as well. Careful what you wish for tough guy.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
If we fail our semester, you will fail yours as well. Careful what you wish for tough guy.
Why would we fail ours?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why would we fail ours?
The point is, nobody will fail their semesters. If in some sort of crazy, twisted world, the government would fail all students because of ongoing strikes, they wouldn't make a difference between people for and against the hike.

If he only hoped that people for the strike fail their semesters just because, well, keep wishing, maybe Santa exists after all.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
$325 per year for 5 years. $1625 more per year than now, at the end of 5 years. That's a huge increase in so little time.
that's less than a dollar a day.
I laugh everytime I read this ****ing ****. Seriously dude, if every person would think like you on this planet, man I would be the richest guy in the world! Just keep 1 dollard per day and then you look at how much you got at 90 years old.

Gtfo man, seriously.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
The point is, nobody will fail their semesters. If in some sort of crazy, twisted world, the government would fail all students because of ongoing strikes, they wouldn't make a difference between people for and against the hike.

If he only hoped that people for the strike fail their semesters just because, well, keep wishing, maybe Santa exists after all.
While I understand the logic, you can't seriously expect those who missed tests and homeworks to be granted same mark as those who did it?

Hate to say it, but don't listen to your student association, they are moronic. Fact of the matter is, if you're the only guy in your class that skipped, well, odds are, you're ****ed for that class. If your entire class skipped, thats another story.

A university cannot just pass you 'just because'. It will literally mean that your education is a joke. At best your teacher, IF he wants to, will provide you an extension for homeworks and rework the grading. However...don't be naive, not every teacher will accept it and a lot of students will be unhappy.

For classes you have a final in(most i assume), expect the teacher's who aren't pro strike to bring up material from class to give an edge to those who attended.

Also, the problem with strike is people who werent ready for tests, quizzes and etc missed. A teacher is not stupid, a lot will skip to get extensions, not because of strike, they will not be blindly accepting.

As an example, a few summers ago, there was a conference at SGW, so my class, originally at H got rescheduled to LOY. In consequence, teacher panicked and removed multiple quizzes, and the midterm...leaving us with a 95% final. He wasn't easy on the final.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:48 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
When I see people interacting with others in this manner, it's one of the reasons why I think education should stay accessible to all

Old
03-23-2012, 12:56 AM
coolasprICE

Not to bring language into this, but are there any francophone student / groups in the french universities that are for tuition increases ?

It seems to be those that are pro-hikes are usually from Concordia / McGill.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:59 AM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
While I understand the logic, you can't seriously expect those who missed tests and homeworks to be granted same mark as those who did it?

Hate to say it, but don't listen to your student association, they are moronic. Fact of the matter is, if you're the only guy in your class that skipped, well, odds are, you're ****ed for that class. If your entire class skipped, thats another story.

A university cannot just pass you 'just because'. It will literally mean that your education is a joke. At best your teacher, IF he wants to, will provide you an extension for homeworks and rework the grading. However...don't be naive, not every teacher will accept it and a lot of students will be unhappy.

For classes you have a final in(most i assume), expect the teacher's who aren't pro strike to bring up material from class to give an edge to those who attended.

Also, the problem with strike is people who werent ready for tests, quizzes and etc missed. A teacher is not stupid, a lot will skip to get extensions, not because of strike, they will not be blindly accepting.

As an example, a few summers ago, there was a conference at SGW, so my class, originally at H got rescheduled to LOY. In consequence, teacher panicked and removed multiple quizzes, and the midterm...leaving us with a 95% final. He wasn't easy on the final.
I don't know why a student would go on strike alone if his student association voted against the strike... For those of us who are on strike no classes are given and the semester will end later with longer classes. And 40 years ago the student boomers were in the streets every week and striking a lot, but the classes they missed didn't prevent them form getting good jobs after.

On another subject great protest today, I was amazed by the massive number of protesters. I was hoping for 60 000 maybe but 200 000, what a huge collective "UP YOURS CHAREST" it was. Neoliberalism is finally being challenged publicly in Québec after years of political and social stagnation from the liberals.

Last edited by RonFournier: 03-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old
03-23-2012, 01:05 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not to bring language into this, but are there any francophone student / groups in the french universities that are for tuition increases ?

I can't say if they are pro-hike but I'm sure many faculties voted against a long strike.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:07 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

what do you mean it's the Govt that would fail ? last I've known, they didnt force you to miss any classes or exam... you have classes, wether you attend or not is YOUR decision.

YOU succeed or YOU fail. At least, that's the way adults usually see things.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
I don't know why a student would go on strike alone if his student association voted against the strike... For those of us who are on strike no classes are given and the semester will end later with longer classes. And 40 years ago the student boomers were in the streets every week and striking a lot, but the classes they missed didn't prevent them form getting good jobs after.

On another subject great protest today, I was amazed by the massive number of protesters. I was hoping for 60 000 maybe but 200 000, what a huge collective "UP YOURS CHAREST" it was. Neoliberalism is finally being challenged publicly in Québec after years of political and social stagnation from the liberals.
So, you mean less time for students to work during summer to... lets say, get some cash for cegep/university ?

brilliant!

Old
03-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Boardish

Quote:

Yes there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
what do you mean it's the Govt that would fail ? last I've known, they didnt force you to miss any classes or exam... you have classes, wether you attend or not is YOUR decision.

YOU succeed or YOU fail. At least, that's the way adults usually see things.
Mega-facepalm. Seriously.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:27 AM
coolasprICE

Students expect lower tuition, more grants and subsidies, lower cost of borrowing, lower income taxes, higher minimum wage, and legalization of pot.

did I miss anything?

Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Students expect lower tuition, more grants and subsidies, lower cost of borrowing, lower income taxes, higher minimum wage, and legalization of pot.

did I miss anything?
It's almost like they want us to become a modern society. Crazy ideas!

To want to spend taxes on programs that help society and not increase Canada's military presence and prison programs? Insane!

It's almost like they got the ideas off some crazy modern Scandinavian and European countries like Sweden, Norway and Germany! Preposterous. Entitled children, am I right?

Old
03-23-2012, 01:39 AM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
So, you mean less time for students to work during summer to... lets say, get some cash for cegep/university ?

brilliant!
We all knew it was the case when we voted for the strike and we're assuming it for a cause we think is worth it. Stop infantilizing us we made concious choices and we are aware of the consequences.

Quote:

did I miss anything?
You forget that we're also asking for higher mining royalties (I can't believe I have to keep reminding people that our exploration mining royalties are 30 000% lower than BC's), higher corporate tax rates ( we have one of the lowest corporate tax rates in North America ) and 10 levels of tax rates for workers instead of 3, which lightens the fiscal weight on middle class.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:42 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
It's almost like they want us to become a modern society. Crazy ideas!

To want to spend taxes on programs that help society and not increase Canada's military presence and prison programs? Insane!
too bad it's not as simplistic as this... otherwise we'd be all at 15% income tax, puffin freely and waiting 5 minutes at the emergency.

what's even better is that many use Scandinavian ''free education'' yet forget to leave out their incredibly high taxes.

instead of crying ''we want cheap education'', why not protest and say ''we want cheap education and we're ready to sacrifice X, Y and Z''

Old
03-23-2012, 01:49 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
We all knew it was the case when we voted for the strike and we're assuming it for a cause we think is worth it. Stop infantilizing us we made concious choices and we are aware of the consequences.

You forget that we're also asking for higher mining royalties (I can't believe I have to keep reminding people that our exploration mining royalties are 30 000% lower than BC's), higher corporate tax rates ( we have one of the lowest corporate tax rates in North America ) and 10 levels of tax rates for workers instead of 3, which lightens the fiscal weight on middle class.
Do you think royalties and tax cuts are handed out for ***** and giggles? Like Charest and his buddies are throwing all the cash in a dollar shaped pool?

Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of corporations, especially in Quebec. If they don't get the tax cuts, that means less revenue for the executives. How do you think they'll react to that? They'll either lay-off employees, or pack up and move elsewhere. Either way, it ends up with people losing their jobs.

I don't know why people think Charest would go through with all these wildly unpopular ideas if there wasn't a reason.

I will agree with the tax brackets though...

Closed Thread