HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver police chief to Canuck fans: 'Don't come downtown'

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Regal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Seriously. Don't come downtown. I live down here, and I'd be more than happy if they just shut-off all incoming public transit.

Keep the trains and buses running out to get the commuters home, but shut-off drop-offs after like 6:30pm.

Then setup a bunch of DUI blocks around the entrances to the city for bozos driving in. Then you're limited to either sober people driving in, which is fine, or idiots willing to pay that much for a cab, and I can't imagine there is that many of those.
Even if this wasn't a ridiculous idea in the first place, the world doesn't revolve around a hockey game. Not everyone living dt is coming home before the game, some people live outside dt but work dt at different hours, some people might be visiting family, etc.

I like the idea of trying to create more community events outside of dt to spread out the population. However they should promote how great these events could be instead of focusing on how people shouldn't go dt. They have every right to go where they please and as we've already seen in this thread, telling people what they can't do will just rile them up into doing the opposite. If they actually tried to pull that situation with transit there will be huge backlash.

That said, I do wonder if the "don't come downtown" quote might be overemphasized. I think it makes for an interesting quote, but it sounds like the focus is on how celebrations will be handled in terms of street parties, not on actually trying to stop people from coming dt

Last edited by Regal: 03-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
or you know, Vancouver.
Yeah it makes me laugh at how some of them blame EVERYTHING on the burbs. That holier than thou attitude they walk around with is hilarious. I'm not from Surrey but it's stupid to blame it all on Surrey. Funny how Surrey had their own events and had I think 20,000-40,000 people(maybe more?) per playoff game and not one incident was reported.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If Gregor would have listened to the police recommendation that they needed a stronger security presence, none of this would have happened.
Personally, I think it's a wise move to limit big crowds.

Watching the riots on TV, it was ridiculous how many thousands of people were still downtown hours after the riots started.

If you're an "Innocent Bystander" get out of there, so that the police can move in on these couple of hundred idiots and not worry about the safety of the thousands of on-lookers. Same reason during the Olympics that the police didn't physically engage the protesters on Granville street during the 2nd/3rd day of the Olympics.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
or you know, Vancouver.
or you know, the burbs.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:45 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Yeah it makes me laugh at how some of them blame EVERYTHING on the burbs. That holier than thou attitude they walk around with is hilarious. I'm not from Surrey but it's stupid to blame it all on Surrey. Funny how Surrey had their own events and had I think 20,000-40,000 people(maybe more?) per playoff game and not one incident was reported.
Would you think rioting in Surrey would be broadcasted on CBC, or would rioting in Vancouver in front of CBC get televised over that?

Hmmm, these are questions that haunt me for answers.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:59 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Personally, I think it's a wise move to limit big crowds.

Watching the riots on TV, it was ridiculous how many thousands of people were still downtown hours after the riots started.

If you're an "Innocent Bystander" get out of there, so that the police can move in on these couple of hundred idiots and not worry about the safety of the thousands of on-lookers. Same reason during the Olympics that the police didn't physically engage the protesters on Granville street during the 2nd/3rd day of the Olympics.
That's pretty much what I did. I got called a bandwagoner for leaving

They weren't very strict when it came to alcohol, my friend (an idiot) smuggled his stuff in without much trouble despite the guy checking being right there....

Old
03-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post

They weren't very strict when it came to alcohol, my friend (an idiot) smuggled his stuff in without much trouble despite the guy checking being right there....
Not proud that I smuggled in alcohol, but I basically asked the guy checking to pat down what I had it in and he said it was fine.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If Gregor would have listened to the police recommendation that they needed a stronger security presence, none of this would have happened.
I remember at CBC Plaza there were 4 or 5 cops walking around in the dying minutes (one of them was constable Chu) I wanted to go up to them and say "Good Luck" because I pretty much called a riot if we lost and it was getting pretty imminent.

Poor guys, just 4 or 5 of them responsible for nearly 5,000 people.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Don't blame the yuppies!

Blame Surrey!

Old
03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keke Mortsons helmet View Post
Don't blame the yuppies!

Blame Surrey!
I knew a few people on my facebook that had friends and/or did the stupid acts and they were from all parts of bc..

Not sure if joking though .

Old
03-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Chubros

It's not fair to blame everything on Surrey. That ignores what people from places like Langley, Mission, and Maple Ridge contributed to the riot.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
By who?

Old
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
biturbo19

Oh good. One lil riot and the man gets mad.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:22 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
It's not fair to blame everything on Surrey. That ignores what people from places like Langley, Mission, and Maple Ridge contributed to the riot.
Except not many people were charged from those areas. Surrey had the most rioters involved, it's not all their fault, but it's a big part of why the riot may have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
By who?
I'd imagine the rioters said that to him.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Wetcoaster

It seems the VPD is ignoring the law on illegal search and seizure.
Police officers in Victoria exceeded their authority last week when they boarded buses and began randomly searching riders and seizing unopened bottles of alcohol from those they believed were heading for Canada Day celebrations, according to the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

Rob Holmes, the association's president, said police do not have the legal authority to conduct random searches and there is no law against carrying closed alcohol containers in public.

"Canada Day is celebration of independence and freedom of Canada and Canadians. It is absolutely repugnant to see such a celebration tarnished by a policy of illegal search and seizure," Holmes said Tuesday.

The civil liberties group has laid formal complaints with the B.C. police complaint commissioner and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP, reproaching the municipal police departments of Victoria, Saanich, Central Saanich and Oak Bay and the West Shore RCMP.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gal-bccla.html

The complaints were upheld by the B.C. Police Complaint Commissioner and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP.

The plan is to search everyone on Transit and Skytrain and seize all alcohol. that is illegal unless the container is open or in possession of a minor.

Per the earlier decision directed to both municpal and RCMP departments:
According to a witness report, municipal and RCMP initiated random and non-consensual searches of people to search for alcohol. These searches were carried out in numerous places throughout Victoria, but apparently public transit and transit exchanges were targeted. It appears that many or all of the buses travelling to downtown Victoria were stopped, and passengers were made to exit for mandatory searches. All alcohol, including closed bottles, was apparently seized.
(RCMP officers failed to keep adequate written records)
Finding: The lack of note taking by members of the West Shore RCMP Detachment is inconsistent with RCMP policy.

Recommendation: I recommend that in the future RCMP members properly document each case when liquor is seized and destroyed.
(If a search is illegal it can be overcome by genuine consent but that was not the case as people were likely bullied)
Finding: There is a strong possibility that those whose bags were searched by RCMP members did not give genuine consent to having their bags searched.
The Liquor Control and Licensing Act (Act) prohibits, among other things: consumption of liquor in a public place (section 40); intoxication in a public place (section 41); operating a motor vehicle containing liquor unless it is in a container that is unopened and has an unbroken seal (section 44); and possession of liquor by a minor, or supplying it to a minor (section 34).

The Act does not prohibit possession of liquor that is in a sealed container in a public place; indeed, it does not prohibit possession of liquor that is in an unsealed container in a public place that is not a motor vehicle.
And in conclusion:

Finding: The RCMP Operational Plan and the VPD Operations Plan, while designed to achieve the objective of a safe civic celebration, appear to have been considerably broader in scope than Charter or common law considerations permit, and did not minimally impair the constitutional right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/prr/rep/pii...aIntR-eng.aspx

Old
03-23-2012, 02:06 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Except not many people were charged from those areas. Surrey had the most rioters involved, it's not all their fault, but it's a big part of why the riot may have happened.

I'd imagine the rioters said that to him.
Is there an article on this? Just curious cause it seems like an opinion.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Auger

I saw a few games DT and it was awful. Either go to GM Place (screw the name change) or watch it at home. One can't appreciate the game outside with poor audio and visual quality.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:33 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

These games are way too bloody stressful to be around a bunch of bang wagon fans that don't know **** about or appreciate hockey. I watch these games at home, with a small and select group of friends/fans. There's no other way.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:49 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
These games are way too bloody stressful to be around a bunch of bang wagon fans that don't know **** about or appreciate hockey. I watch these games at home, with a small and select group of friends/fans. There's no other way.
I generally grouped up with my friends who knew something about hockey when I was there so I could tune out the stupid **** the bandwagoners had to say. The reason I was there was the atmosphere, it was incredible when the Canucks scored a goal

Old
03-23-2012, 03:24 AM
KISSland

Quote:
I generally grouped up with my friends who knew something about hockey when I was there so I could tune out the stupid **** the bandwagoners had to say. The reason I was there was the atmosphere, it was incredible when the Canucks scored a goal
This and only this. Not to mention meeting new people. I felt way less stressed being around these people. And trust me my stress level was going through the roof(as I'm sure many others were too.)

I only had one complaint about someone being next to me he was probably 15 years old. Annoying little *****. He kept screaming but he was practically right next to me. I just look behind me and give him a dirty look. He then continues. I then was fed up, turned around and started screaming into his ear, Stewie style. Epic victory, shut him up and we won game 5.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/132938163.html

Quote:
Twenty-one alleged rioters are from Surrey, while 12 are from Vancouver, nine are from Burnaby and four are from Maple Ridge.

Two each are from Abbotsford and Delta, while one each is from Richmond, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Langley, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Victoria, Courtenay, West Kelowna and Seattle.
http://www.surreyleader.com/news/142815465.html

Quote:
The Integrated Riot Investigation Team has so far recommended 348 charges against 150 suspects many of them from Surrey.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:57 AM
KISSland

Thanks for the post. I still don't see the blame surrey mentality some people here have. There's stupid people everywhere. Some more than others.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
I was thinking about how asinine the police search and seizures of liquor are on the buses heading into Vancouver.

Seriously, that is unconstitutional, unfair and unwise.

It's unconstitutional for the reasons wetcoaster mentioned. It's also unfair because many of us cannot afford cars. Why should I be precluded from bringing a bottle of wine to a friend's house just because I don't drive? That makes no sense and quite frankly that should infringe on my rights as a Canadian citizen!

Lastly, I don't see why we're allowing the people who are driving to bring liquor into the city when they are the last people that should have booze.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:18 AM
DarzipanMildo

vCash: 50
I've lived downtown for a decade now and based on my observations and experiences over that period of time, it is perfectly warranted to blame those from outside Vancouver for the bulk of disturbances that transpire, not only after a hockey game, but on most weekends.

Of course, I'm not saying its only plebs from Burnaby, Burquitlem and Surrey committing crimes in Vancouver proper, but they are definitely overrepresented among those who tip of over mailboxes and shout stupid **** on Granville st.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:32 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It seems the VPD is ignoring the law on illegal search and seizure.
Police officers in Victoria exceeded their authority last week when they boarded buses and began randomly searching riders and seizing unopened bottles of alcohol from those they believed were heading for Canada Day celebrations, according to the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

Rob Holmes, the association's president, said police do not have the legal authority to conduct random searches and there is no law against carrying closed alcohol containers in public.

"Canada Day is celebration of independence and freedom of Canada and Canadians. It is absolutely repugnant to see such a celebration tarnished by a policy of illegal search and seizure," Holmes said Tuesday.

The civil liberties group has laid formal complaints with the B.C. police complaint commissioner and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP, reproaching the municipal police departments of Victoria, Saanich, Central Saanich and Oak Bay and the West Shore RCMP.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gal-bccla.html

The complaints were upheld by the B.C. Police Complaint Commissioner and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP.

The plan is to search everyone on Transit and Skytrain and seize all alcohol. that is illegal unless the container is open or in possession of a minor.

Per the earlier decision directed to both municpal and RCMP departments:
According to a witness report, municipal and RCMP initiated random and non-consensual searches of people to search for alcohol. These searches were carried out in numerous places throughout Victoria, but apparently public transit and transit exchanges were targeted. It appears that many or all of the buses travelling to downtown Victoria were stopped, and passengers were made to exit for mandatory searches. All alcohol, including closed bottles, was apparently seized.
(RCMP officers failed to keep adequate written records)
Finding: The lack of note taking by members of the West Shore RCMP Detachment is inconsistent with RCMP policy.

Recommendation: I recommend that in the future RCMP members properly document each case when liquor is seized and destroyed.
(If a search is illegal it can be overcome by genuine consent but that was not the case as people were likely bullied)
Finding: There is a strong possibility that those whose bags were searched by RCMP members did not give genuine consent to having their bags searched.
The Liquor Control and Licensing Act (Act) prohibits, among other things: consumption of liquor in a public place (section 40); intoxication in a public place (section 41); operating a motor vehicle containing liquor unless it is in a container that is unopened and has an unbroken seal (section 44); and possession of liquor by a minor, or supplying it to a minor (section 34).

The Act does not prohibit possession of liquor that is in a sealed container in a public place; indeed, it does not prohibit possession of liquor that is in an unsealed container in a public place that is not a motor vehicle.
And in conclusion:

Finding: The RCMP Operational Plan and the VPD Operations Plan, while designed to achieve the objective of a safe civic celebration, appear to have been considerably broader in scope than Charter or common law considerations permit, and did not minimally impair the constitutional right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/prr/rep/pii...aIntR-eng.aspx
Wow, Fascist much? Typical Officious police activity, trying to make people afraid, every cop involved should have their employment terminated.

Sadly this act of targeting people using public transit only encourages people to drink and drive, which I think is much more serious than a unopened bottle in someones backpack. (the latter being totally legal)

Last edited by SilverHaireDevil: 03-23-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Closed Thread