Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Fantasy Baseball Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

vCash: 500
Finished my 12 team keeper league draft.

I'm lacking in speed, but I love my rotation and power potential. I ignored saves all together, as holds are a category in this league. So I grabbed a bunch of those guys hoping one or two take over the closer role. Won't be hard to grab a closer once the season gets going anyways.. Got screwed @ 3rd, hopefully Aviles gets it going in Boston.

And yes, those are 'no hitter' and 'cycle' cats. i don't even know....

Last edited by Shape: 03-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
03-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

If Scott Rolen and Pedro Alvarez are available I would take one of them for 3rd. Votto and Tulowitzki on one team is ridic.

Also is Chris Ianetta available? Good pick-up aswell.

Old
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Would even keep Ackley over Arencibia.
I thought about it but catching is so shallow in a 16 team league. I am going to try and pick him up in the first couple of rounds. Ackley's projections for 2012 are not that impressive.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Hot Carlson

Competitive 12 team auction keeper league, 6x6 H2H, $260 draft budget (including keepers). 12 years doing FBB and this is my first auction. Might as well call this one the "bounce-back/upside squad."

C Wilson Ramos $1
1B Mark Teixeira $24
2B Dustin Ackley $8
SS JJ Hardy $9
3B Brett Lawrie $20
LF Carl Crawford $14
CF Desmond Jennings $18
RF Jose Bautista $42
Util Jason Heyward $11
RF Bryce Harper $3
LF Jason Bay $2
1B Brandon Belt $1

SP David Price $23
SP Brandon Morrow $6
SP Adam Wainwright $15
RP Jose Valverde $9
RP Jason Motte $6
RP Javy Guerra $2
P Francisco Liriano $6
P Clay Buccholz $5
P Neftali Feliz $4
P Brandon McCarthy $6
P Derek Holland $3

Old
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Thats a good deal on Jason Bay. He finished off pretty good last season.

Old
03-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Harper was just optioned to triple A.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Hot Carlson

Yeah that was a future Keeper pick. Don't mind shelling out $3 for a flyer on that one. The sucky thing is that a few managers didn't show and the Autobid totally overbid for a few guys I wanted on the cheap, like Brandon Beachy.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Kardi

Doing a new keeper league 12-14 team 13x13 h2h league auction draft. 5 players kept, champion keeps 6.

Draft is THIS FRIDAY Mar 23 @9:00pm EDT.

If you can't make it for the draft. This league isn't for you.
If you get sad if you suck at drafting and you afk mid way through a season. This league isn't for you.
If you're competitive, stay active and know your baseball. This league is for you.

League ID#: 144579
Password: mlb

Are you ready?

Last edited by Kardi: 03-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
3 closers your first 10 picks? Wow! I never pay for saves. But I love the drafters that do. Ha.
I normally grab one top of the line with job security and no more until round 17 or so. Saves are so easy to get after guys start losing jobs and such. Myers is normally available until the very end, people forget hes moving into the closers role.

I also don't get why people draft catchers so early. They are so hard to judge, I remember people would draft Mauer round 5, I always was like WHY? Aside from one massive season he is really a one stat guy, killed AVG but hurt you in power big time. I'd rather draft Arencibia or someone 150th overall.

Who do you guys feel is most underrated and overrated this year?

Overated for me is Lawrie. I'm a Jays fan and love the kid but top 50 pick? Its a gamble for someone who has never played a full season

Underrated might be Jurrjens. I drafted him with one of my final picks in both leagues and he puts up solid numbers. Bucholz could be another one.

Old
03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I also don't get why people draft catchers so early. They are so hard to judge, I remember people would draft Mauer round 5, I always was like WHY? Aside from one massive season he is really a one stat guy, killed AVG but hurt you in power big time. I'd rather draft Arencibia or someone 150th overall.
It all depends on how many teams are in the league. Im in a 16 team keeper league and people seem to hord catchers. It really does suck getting no production out of that spot, so I am going to hord this year.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Who do you guys feel is most underrated and overrated this year?
Yea Lawrie is getting his tires pumped pretty hard, but I'd have to go with Granderson.

Underrated, I'll go with Zobrist. An extra couple of bags and he's a 20/20 guy easily. 90+ runs, 90+ rbi, the average isn't there but he gets on base. What else do you want him to do?? He should be a top 20 pick tbh.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
I Am Beat You

I created a standard head to head league on yahoo with a live draft but would like to make it a keeper league if possible. I've never been in one, so any advice on what I can do to make mine a keeper league would be appreciated.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Man, I am so out of touch with baseball it's sad. I've done my uncle's league for him the past two years, and placed in the money both years... but I don't think I'm going to do well this year.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 942
2 spots left in my Yahoo H2H non-keeper league. Great league, been around since 2004. Consists mostly of Blue Jays fans but anyone is welcome.

League ID#: 4462
Password: zosky

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo....eague?.scrumb=

Old
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Muh
Beadle

Got my draft for year 5 of my keeper league tonight, so pumped.

Going in with Lester-1 year remaining-, Weaver-2yr- and Braun-3yr-.

Got last pick, cause I won last year, but am praying for Stanton to be available for me at 12. Highly doubtful, but one can wish.

If not, I am hoping for Mccutchen and Cain and 12/13.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Got my draft for year 5 of my keeper league tonight, so pumped.

Going in with Lester-1 year remaining-, Weaver-2yr- and Braun-3yr-.

Got last pick, cause I won last year, but am praying for Stanton to be available for me at 12. Highly doubtful, but one can wish.

If not, I am hoping for Mccutchen and Cain and 12/13.
I got Stanton, was suprised to see Mccutchen and Cain go before him.

12 person league.

C: Montero
1b: Berkman
2b: Neil Walker
3b: David Freese
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Braun/Stanton/Francoeur
Util: Freeman/Duda
Bench: Yunel Escobar/Ryan Roberts

SP: Weaver/Lester/Ian Kennedy/Ervin Santana/Edwin Jackson
RP: MO/Jordan Walden/ Scott Downs for holds
Bench: Mike Minor/Buehrle
I leave my other bench spot open for a RP who is listed as a SP that will get me saves or holds.

If all goes to plan I will sign Stanton to a 3 year deal at the expense of Lester's expiring contract.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Brodeur

My AL Only Auction Draft is on Saturday. I'm trying to think of which overvalued players I want to nominate for auction. The idea being that others tend to overpay early in the auction and get conservative towards the middle.

Jeter/Ichiro - Certainly useful, but their reputations tend to make them more expensive than their production.

Mauer - We have two catcher slots for 8 teams, so it's usually nice to get somebody to pay $20 for Mauer. I kept Carlos Santana and Mike Napoli+Alex Avila were retained as well, so the AL crop is pretty thin.

Konerko - He keeps chugging along, but this would take somebody else out of the running for Pujols/Fielder/Teixeira at 1B.

Upton - So we have a wrinkle in our league where if a player gets traded to the NL, you have to drop him immediately. Upton is an impending free agent and will probably be trade bait all season. Others in my league usually don't research/worry about those scenarios, so I can probably get somebody to pay full price for him.

Any other guys you can think of that might be overvalued based on reputation?

Old
03-23-2012, 06:18 AM
mapes

Auction draft tomorrow. Any advice? I've never done one. How much should I overpay for guys? Should I not bid early in hopes others overpay?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Auction draft tomorrow. Any advice? I've never done one. How much should I overpay for guys? Should I not bid early in hopes others overpay?
Auction drafts are so much fun. What are the parameters? Ie, mix league or AL/NL Only, head to head / roto, positions, categories, budget...

My usual tactic with auction drafts is to nominate guys I have absolutely no interest in (pretty much the previous post) during the early rounds. Every auction I've done, people tend to overspend in the beginning and then get conservative in the middle. That's when I usually like to swoop in and get a few 2nd tier guys for below suggested price.

Do you know if the people you're up against have done an auction before? I did an auction league with friends last year who had never done one before. One guy spent something stupid like $80 (out of $260) on Albert Pujols. Suffice to say, having one awesome guy didn't make up for the other 23 players on his roster.

Are you doing the draft through Yahoo? Typically I've done auctions with friends in person, but last year we did it online. Yahoo put suggested prices on each player and they were horribly skewed towards batting. Basic strategy says to spend about $200 on batting and $60 on pitching, but I got so many bargains on pitching that I just went with it. Ended up spending ~$100 on pitching and more or less won every pitching category handily.

Are free agents first come, first served or are you guys using FAAB? If you're in a mix league without a ton restrictions on picking guys up, there'll usually be a bunch of decent players available at all times. So I'd draft for upside if that's the case. There's usually a ton of roster turnover throughout the season with a mixed league.

In AL/NL Only, you might have to take injury history into more consideration.

Have a cheat sheet ready and draw out an outline of what your team will look like budget wise. Something like:

C: $5
1B: $30
2B: $15
SS: $10
3B: $25
etc, etc

Old
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Auction drafts are so much fun. What are the parameters? Ie, mix league or AL/NL Only, head to head / roto, positions, categories, budget...

My usual tactic with auction drafts is to nominate guys I have absolutely no interest in (pretty much the previous post) during the early rounds. Every auction I've done, people tend to overspend in the beginning and then get conservative in the middle. That's when I usually like to swoop in and get a few 2nd tier guys for below suggested price.

Do you know if the people you're up against have done an auction before? I did an auction league with friends last year who had never done one before. One guy spent something stupid like $80 (out of $260) on Albert Pujols. Suffice to say, having one awesome guy didn't make up for the other 23 players on his roster.

Are you doing the draft through Yahoo? Typically I've done auctions with friends in person, but last year we did it online. Yahoo put suggested prices on each player and they were horribly skewed towards batting. Basic strategy says to spend about $200 on batting and $60 on pitching, but I got so many bargains on pitching that I just went with it. Ended up spending ~$100 on pitching and more or less won every pitching category handily.

Are free agents first come, first served or are you guys using FAAB? If you're in a mix league without a ton restrictions on picking guys up, there'll usually be a bunch of decent players available at all times. So I'd draft for upside if that's the case. There's usually a ton of roster turnover throughout the season with a mixed league.

In AL/NL Only, you might have to take injury history into more consideration.

Have a cheat sheet ready and draw out an outline of what your team will look like budget wise. Something like:

C: $5
1B: $30
2B: $15
SS: $10
3B: $25
etc, etc
Its a mixed roto league. Budget is 285. Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, 6 bench spots.

R, HR, RBI, AVG, OPS, SB, W, L, ERA, saves, WHIP are the categiries.

Interesting strategy. I might try putting up a top of the line catcher or RP early maybe. Its definitely a strategy I like.

Yes all leagues I do are Yahoo leagues.

I just did my outline and projected 110 on pitchers (out of the 285 budget) but 60 on 2 starters. Too much? I just value pitching A LOT. To me, it wins or loses leagues for you. Much like goaltending in hockey. Plus, Jurrjens, Wandy, Bucholz, Carpenter (starting on the DL) among others are available late and can be had for probably like 5 bucks I put 20 on one RP spot, 5 on the others. 5 starters, 3 closers.

Not sure if anyone has experience.

Everyones free agents. If they are dropped by someone they go through a 1 day waiver.

Thanks for the help

Old
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Its a mixed roto league. Budget is 285. Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, 6 bench spots.

R, HR, RBI, AVG, OPS, SB, W, L, ERA, saves, WHIP are the categiries.

Interesting strategy. I might try putting up a top of the line catcher or RP early maybe. Its definitely a strategy I like.
That seems pretty shallow for hitting, although OF is not as deep as previous years. How many teams are there? That'll be a big factor about whether or not you should allocate more for pitching. UT spots seem best suited for power types.

Definitely draft for upside as it seems like your league will have a lot of decent guys available to add after the draft.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
mapes

10 person league. Is that good or bad with my setup?

What happens if guys don't show up and have to autodraft? How do they bid?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

I have my draft on Sunday. Im in a 16 team mixed league. I havent paid attention to ST too much this season. Any tips on later round sleeper type players? Last year I took Arrieta and Moustakas in my last two rounds.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
10 person league. Is that good or bad with my setup?

What happens if guys don't show up and have to autodraft? How do they bid?
They get autobid.......and it's pretty awful if you have multiple people missing like my league had last year. If you want to be underhanded, you could probably throw out somebody like Joakim Soria and one of the autobidders would bid him up (but doublecheck that the Yahoo default autobid is more than $1 so that you don't end up with him).

Old
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I got my second draft tomorrow night hopefully I come away with a better team than the last one.

Closed Thread