HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL: XXVIII

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrskudra1 View Post
lets not subject an entire fan base with one statement. I'm 25 but our family has had season tickets since 71. My dad waited out the unsuccessful 70s and 80s. A lot of us were there with the Ramzi Abid, Rico Fata, Milan Kraft, Kris Beech, Josef Melichar, and Konstantin Koltsov days. The "X-Generation". Bandwagons happen, and they suck for true fans. But lets not act like hockey didn't exist in Pittsburgh before 2005
It's one thing to talk about the pre-Mario era (although if you want to compare fathers sitting through bad periods try 50+ years sitting through mostly terrible hockey for mine). But the more recent "down" period? You missed the playoffs for four seasons. If a franchise can't survive being lousy for that short a time it raises serious questions about market viability. The Rangers missed the playoffs seven straight seasons not too long ago. Nobody dropped a couple of generational talents in our laps to make it all better.

Quote:
I'm sincerely not trying to troll, but our franchise through 67 to the late 80s was pretty abysmal. We truly tanked for Mario, but you know what it saved our franchise. I wish we were located in a city like New York, but we just are not. We're a city of just over 200,000 people. We're a small-big city with a football and baseball history.
You're not New York but neither is New Jersey, St. Louis, Nashville, or any number other markets that never resorted to tanking to survive. The Devils probably wouldn't have lasted if they didn't have the sustained period of success, but they built it on smart trades and savvy drafting. St. Louis and Nashville weren't hockey markets before they got teams, but they both built something without having to tank. There's simply no excuse for it. It's absolutely disgusting that Bettman called the Penguins a model franchise. Being terrible at just the right time to land not just superstars but the absolute best players in the league is not a model any team should aspire to.

Quote:
We became wretched in debt in the 90s forcing Mario to buy the team. After that the financial structure was weak in a city that already was experiencing the pains of the post 2001 economy. We got lucky, and we have to thank Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle for saving the team. Those who have stuck it out for this team truly deserve it no matter how fortunate we've been on the draft. Bandwagon fans.....well we all got them when things are going well
Going from the conference finals in 2001 to 30th in attendance shortly thereafter does not speak of a deserving and devoted fanbase. After more than a decade of Lemieux and Jagr, it's absurd to say that the fans who stuck it out through a whole four bad seasons deserve another decade or two of having the best two players in the league. You deserve some good hockey, maybe. But you don't deserve that. Nobody does. That's stopping just short of Canadiens fans claiming they deserved all those dynasties when the system was rigged in their favor.

Last edited by Zil: 03-23-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old
03-23-2012, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Can Pittsburgh play this way from another 3 months? The 92-93 Penguins won 17 straight games in March-April 1993. They were ordinary against the Devils in the first round and then lost to the Islanders in the 2nd round.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:45 AM
beastly115

I'd love for the Pens to have to face Philly in the 1st round. Pens may still win but they'd be limping into the 2nd round.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I'd love for the Pens to have to face Philly in the 1st round. Pens may still win but they'd be limping into the 2nd round.
It is not the Hockey, or especially "TSN/CBC's", way to say that luck is a part of it -- but it most certainly is.

And part of "luck" is to play the right team at the right time. There are so many examples -- but look at the 05/06 PO's.

Ottawa were CRAZY good that year, on paper atleast (Forwards in their prime: Alfie, Heatly, Spezza, Havlat, Fisher, Schaefer, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, Eaves and Smolinske; Chara on defense, along with Philips, Redden before his worst fall, Mezaros, Volchenko; Hasek in the net).

Buffalo, also really good, they really got everything together, 3 lines that scored like nuts etc, got on a heck of a tear and beat a pretty weak Philly team but also sent Ottawa packing and they were tremendous in that series.

But Buffalo's D's went down one by one. And when Carolina played them, they were just broken down pretty much completely. Guys like McKee played but couldn't skate and so forth.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Abooch68

I don't buy people comparing the Giants winning the Superbowl to the Rangers. Hockey is much different than football and IMO alot harder to win in.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote: Originally Posted by BBKers Yesterday, 06:36 PM
Sedin is officially concussed for the extremely dirty elbow by Keith. Out at least 2 weeks - probably more. They should throw the book at Keith. 10 game suspension... and a big fine. Especially since he had intent and voiced that he was going to retaliate to an earlier hit in the game he took by Sedin. That **** just aint kosher

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Affinity Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Please, he'll get 3-5 games. Burrows will get a fine or suspension for his knee on knee and Sedin will also get a fine for his hit. It was a rough game all around.
Quote: Originally Posted by BBKers Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Willing to bet you are wrong here. How much?

Quote:
Yesterday, 08:40 PM Quote by Affinity: Well his hearing is over the phone so it can't be more than 5 games.
Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie ‏ @renhockey
nhlpa needs to approve the change by the nhl in the Duncan Keith hearing. Nhl asked for a face to face hearing instead of a phone hearing
So I guess he is going to see more than 5 games...

Old
03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post

So I guess he is going to see more than 5 games...
Good. This is the exact type of chicken-**** hit that the sport needs to get rid of.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Also if the 2007/2011 Giants can win Superbowls, then this Rangers team can win a Cup and they most certainly can beat the Pens.
There is no way you can compare the two franchises; the Giants are head and shoulders above the Rangers in the areas of ownership and management. Four(4) super bowls in 26 years vs. one(1) stanley cup in 71 years plus an elite winning leader in Manning. Wake up pal!

Old
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
BBKers

Re: Keith

He has had this kind of elbow to head hit before with a look like blatant intent to injure b4...

Old
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
BBKers

Another retaliatory one here - but then again it was Cooke...

Nonetheless --- hes outta strikes

Old
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
BBKers

And the latest one on Sedin:

Old
03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
There is no way you can compare the two franchises; the Giants are head and shoulders above the Rangers in the areas of ownership and management. Four(4) super bowls in 26 years vs. one(1) stanley cup in 71 years plus an elite winning leader in Manning. Wake up pal!
I mean you can argue that the two most recent Superbowl teams were some of the worst in history. 10-6 wildcard and 9-7 miracle. Rangers are first in the East right now and I was simply saying that crazier things have happened. That's all.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I mean you can argue that the two most recent Superbowl teams were some of the worst in history. 10-6 wildcard and 9-7 miracle. Rangers are first in the East right now and I was simply saying that crazier things have happened. That's all.
Regular season records didn't matter to anyone with the Super Bowl until the Giants won them.

It is correct, it is harder to win the stanley cup once the playoffs have started in the NHL than to win a Super Bowl. It is harder to get into the NFL playoffs.

03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
The Rangers have elite winning management and elite winning leadership in Torts and Richie

Old
03-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Affinity

Wow 5 games for Keith.. Didn't see that coming

Old
03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
darko

Must win game for Jets tonight against Caps. They lose and they are done.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Can Pittsburgh play this way from another 3 months? The 92-93 Penguins won 17 straight games in March-April 1993. They were ordinary against the Devils in the first round and then lost to the Islanders in the 2nd round.
They could definitely play this way for the rest of the year and playoffs...but only if the opposition lets them ! I'm pretty sure that sooner or later guys will be paying a lot more attention to both Crosby and Letang & Malkin much more intensely and will be laying on the body at every opportunity available .

The level of compete and nastiness is about to rise and those guys are quite prone to injury if they endure a steady parade of vicious but clean hits . We also will see the same on our guys like Staal-Richards-Gabby who will have to have the head on a swivel from here on out .

The new and real season is about to begin and I would be very shocked if the Penguins don't have one major injury before the playoffs start as they are going to be big targets for opposing & competing teams in the Conference .

Old
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Must win game for Jets tonight against Caps. They lose and they are done.
lets go Jets. i want the Caps out of the playoffs...cant stand them

Old
03-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I've been wondering this myself. It certainly would not be the first time we've ever seen a team peak too early.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Another retaliatory one here - but then again it was Cooke...

Nonetheless --- hes outta strikes
Quote:
He has had this kind of elbow to head hit before with a look like blatant intent to injure b4...

Keith isn't a dirty player but he has shown he will throw an elbow to guys who go after him first

I dont like it but I understand the logic. You go high on Keith and he is sending message he will tag you later

Not good but again I understand it from a players perspective

Keith should have gotten 7 games (Remainder of Reg season) IMO

Old
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

OV with another goal. Quite a run he's been on lately.

EDIT: And a second one, too.

RANGERS =

Last edited by we want cup: 03-23-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Good. I really like Ovechkin. Would love to see him tear up the score sheet again.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Caps blew a 3-0 lead. 4-3 OTL.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Devils finally lost a shootout for once.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:05 PM
truebluegoalie

No West Coast games tonight? That seem odd to anyone? I guess it is expected as the season winds down, just seems strange to see no late start times.

Closed Thread