HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Staal and signing Ryan Suter

Old
03-23-2012, 06:07 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
If we get to the SCF we're not going to want to trade anybody. What if Staal goes God mode during the run? He'll seem like a bargain. Same with Dubinsky.

Now, if they lose in the 1st round again, I wouldn't be against adding Staal to the Nash deal to lessen the cost in future assets.

Suter is better than Staal IMO. The extra 2 million would be worth it.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:10 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
I dunno. I like Staal hes good. If we fare well and if/when he's 100 percent again, we will see

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:21 AM
NashLife
what if doobie?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I what world will Suter get $7.5 million BBker's?!?!

That's elite money for a non-elite Dman. That's thae same money Gaborik is signed for.
I would say that's the price you need to expect to pay for any of those players.

NashLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I what world will Suter get $7.5 million BBker's?!?!

That's elite money for a non-elite Dman. That's thae same money Gaborik is signed for.
Don't attempt to make sense in this thread. Someone is talking about restructuring contracts which is not allowed in the CBA. The CBA expires in less than 6 months and people don't seem to even notice.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
How about we just go back in time and pick Anze Kopitar instead of Staal?
If that's the case lets go back to '03 and pick Parise, '06 and pick Giroux, '08 and pick Eberle, Parise-Giroux-Eberle

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:31 AM
JayQueensNY88*

I am not opposed to this..I think Staal is very over rated.But Suter will probably cost in the (over priced)6 mill $ range,in that case i would rather keep Staal and hope Sauer comes back healthy.Also comes down to what would the return for Staal be????? If NYR can move staal and Sauer,,then i would also be all for signing Suter.Tough situation,rreally.

Last edited by JayQueensNY88*: 03-23-2012 at 06:52 AM.
JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarSv View Post
I would say that's the price you need to expect to pay for any of those players.
Suter should not, and will not, get that much money this summer.

He'll get $6 to $6.5 million max and that may be pushing ut.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I definitely think Hagelin can be a 40 goal scorer. Then again, that might be a pipe dream but with a full season and offseason under his belt, he could very well be a 75-80 point player. If he'd played here for all 82 games he could have been a 60 point player in his rookie season.

Dont know about that. I'll be happy if he's a consistent 40-50 point player throughout his career. Still a pretty good career especially when you bring more to the table than just offense.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
People have done crazier things. The Bruins look at that and say "he was committed to being a pro and a good teammate to the team that owns his rights." Not so much committed to being a Ranger. If he waits out until June of next year and goes back to BC, he could very well end up being a Bruin, and denying that fact is insanity. Now if he decides to come here instead next year instead of BC, then this speculation is meaningless, but at this point it has merit. He might not be going back to BC to screw the Rangers, but out of loyalty to BC. Then after the season is over, if he wants to sign with the Rangers for a playoff run he can, or he can hold out and go join his childhood team. The ball is totally in Kreider's court and as of now, nobody knows if he is going back to BC or not.
No, it has zero merit. Just because something could happen, doesn't mean that there is even a remote chance that it will. Do you honestly believe that the Rangers aren't on top of the situation? That they don't talk to Kreider and know where his head is at? Sather did a live telephone interview during a BC game a few weeks ago. You think he's going to do that if he has any doubt that Kreider will sign? Kreider payed his own way to skate with the Rangers over the summer. He attended the Rangers/Bruins game in boston and did an interview with Gianone during the intermission. Do you think he's going to do those things if he doesn't intend to sign with the Rangers?

This is the same ******** people said about McD and there was absolutely no basis for that either. Just people getting their panties in a bunch worrying about something that was extremely unlikely to happen.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:30 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nash's price will go up in the offseason. Only way that trade gets made is if Kreider decides to go back to college and Columbus agrees to pay part of the contract or Nash agrees to restructure (like the Jagr deal). Otherwise management would be crazy to take on that contract.

So either a contract restructure or Columbus pay part
+
Kreider decides to stay at BC for another year
=
Dubi, Kreider, Sauer, first for Nash.

Those would be the only players I'd be willing to part with in that trade and that's conditional of IF Kreider goes back to BC. If he says he's coming out, see how he performs in the NHL before trading him for that massive contract.
Contracts can't be restructured under the current CBA (and doubtful that it will be possible under the new CBA, whenever that is done).

Teams can't agree to pay part of a players salary/cap hit. Jagr was traded to the Rangers under the old CBA, which is why we were able to do it then. The only way 2 or more teams can pay the salary of 1 player is through re-entry waivers. And there's no way in the world Nash will go through re-entry.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:40 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Talk about a loop hole. The next CBA has to cover this up somehow. Renegade draft picks shouldn't be rewarded by becoming UFA's.
It's not a loophole. For NCAA players, teams have 4 years from when he is drafted in order to sign him. For CHL players and some European players, teams only have 2 years. That's how we got Erixon. He wouldn't sign with calgary, so they had to either trade him or lose him for nothing. If he walked, he would have gone back into the draft (because of his age...Kreider is too old for the draft now).

Even if Kreider waited another year and became a UFA, he'd still be subject to the entry level system. So while it would enable him to pick his team, it wouldn't garner him any more money.

Don't expect any of that to change in the next CBA. It doesn't happen often enough that teams are going to worry about it.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
We need offense. Parise please.
The Rangers cannot afford a $6m cap hit. Not so much next year, but in two.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Entry level systems become more restrictive in new CBAs. Kreider would be subject to the new rules in any free agency in August 2013. That's assuming the CBA keeps the August 15 date after the class graduates in the next CBA. In the previous CBA,a player had to sit out an entire season to become a free agent. There was more entry level money in the last CBA. If the new CBA adds years to the entry level system,Kreider would be subject to the new rules. All of the indications are Kreider is signing when BC is finished playing. Could be on Monday or Tuesday. Kreider is better signing and playing this season before the CBA expires in September. He loses a season off the ELC and can become a group II with arb rights in 2014.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
I am not opposed to this..I think Staal is very over rated.
Adn last year, he was very underrated. Funny that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:47 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Suter should not, and will not, get that much money this summer.

He'll get $6 to $6.5 million max and that may be pushing ut.
6,5 MAX then for Suter. As a UFA (gotta figure Detroit will be bidding high if Nashville drops out & Lidström retires - no?). Will not change much ($2,5 M cap space) anyway. It fits under the cap regardlessly. For one year only though. I guess it´s all in for next year in that scenario then... we will need to get very creative.

I would instead try to sign R Whitney as a UFA on a one year deal next year and keep what we have moving fwd. Maybe do something at the deadline depending on the circumstances then

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
JimmyStart*

Let's get parise and Suter both to sign a 1 year 7 mil mercenary contract like Hossa ( he did that right) They'll totally do that. Reality

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Deathdealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
why in the world to people want to change a winning formula?

it actually pisses me off. Staal is great.
staal is one of the most over rated players i have ever seen. wtf has he done so far?

358gp 22g 63a 85p +11. 5 power play points over that time.
playoff stats 22gp 2g 3a 5p -2
4mill cap hit
stop drinking the water that sam and joe shove down your mouth every game

Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
6,5 MAX then for Suter. As a UFA (gotta figure Detroit will be bidding high if Nashville drops out & Lidström retires - no?). Will not change much ($2,5 M cap space) anyway. It fits under the cap regardlessly. For one year only though. I guess it´s all in for next year in that scenario then... we will need to get very creative.

I would instead try to sign R Whitney as a UFA on a one year deal next year and keep what we have moving fwd. Maybe do something at the deadline depending on the circumstances then
How you can say that when you have absolutely no clue what the cap will be next year?

Old
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
staal is one of the most over rated players i have ever seen. wtf has he done so far?

4mill cap hit
He hasn't been great this year, but he's still getting his game back since the concussion. He was great last year and every bit deserving of that contract. If you can't see that, then you don't understand what you are watching.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I've seen some crazy ass things in this thread.

Hagelin is going to be a 40-40 player?!?

Kreider is going to hold out to sign with the Bruins?!?

We can restructure contracts?!?

Trading Staal and signing Suter at almost 3 million more a year?!?

First off, Hagelin will most likely have similar numbers to Callahan at his best. Hockey IQ is very high and his speed is something to kill for. Doesn't have the shot or the hands to be a 40 goal guy.

Second, Kreider is not going to hold out to go play in Boston. Right now, the Rangers are a better team, and have been much better head to head. Both teams have great futures. Kreider wanted to finish school. He made that clear a few years ago. He's been taking summer classes as RangerBoy has noted MANY times throughout this saga.

Third, you can't restructure contracts, and the CBA is ending soon.

Finally, for 6-6.5 million, we have Staal and Erixon/Sauer and for a little more, McIlrath and/or hopefully Schultz. Staal has not played bad, and he will get better. It doesn't help that he's playing with Bickel, who at times looks like he doesn't belong playing NHL hockey. If Sauer was back, there would be no issue with Staal's play.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
How you can say that when you have absolutely no clue what the cap will be next year?
True, true

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post

4mill cap hit
Yeah. Stop listening to Sam & Joe as they point out all the great plays Staal makes during the game. Just ignore that stuff. Instead, go to espn.com & look at his stat line. Clearly that's the best way to review the value of a defensive player.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:57 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
No thanks. Suter will come with a hefty 7-8 mil cap hit and at that point I'd rather use that cash to bring in an impact forward.
This^, but...
Staal value slowly rising from all time low due to concussion. There is enough there for us to gamble on his recovery at least next season before cap dumping him, and his upside to again be bust shutdown D + his spirited play, necessitates that all taken together, we should keep Staal unless overwhelmed.

If memory serves Staal is 4.xm and Girardi 3.x mil, Girardi does not have the cache of the Staal name, but still may yield high enough return. That's enough to swing Suter, assuming he would come here. No body should be offered crazy length on contract.
Overpay by extra mil for 2 years and keep contract 3 years or so, not 5-6 years.

The other factor is Dubi.
Dubi gives us a lot but If we get decent return on his 4.x mil, that is also more for a sniper and Suter.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The Rangers cannot afford a $6m cap hit. Not so much next year, but in two.
If we trade Dubi next offseason then it's manageable.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
All of this Parise/Nash/Suter/Ryan talk is fan fodder. Sather hasn't traded assets for a top tier player in a long ass time. He's signed big names, but he grows the farm. Parise is the most likely on the list, but it's still a long shot.
If its such fan fodder then why did he go so hard after Nash in the off season?

Also... Please explain how this makes sense
Quote:
All of this Parise/Nash/Suter/Ryan talk is fan fodder.
Then in the next breath....
Quote:
Parise is the most likely on the list, but it's still a long shot.
So its fan fodder but he is most likely on the list?

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 03-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote