HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Rebuild Thread-"You be the GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Here's what I learned (true story).

Long-ass posts are way cool and much appreciated, but take up too much time and are a poor way to pad your post count. When I joined, I absolutely loved exercises like Espen or cslebn's, but I eventually tired of the work. Now I just make fun of people but damn my post count is way up.
And that's why you have been elevated to exalted mod-dom.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
And that's why you have been elevated to exalted mod-dom.
Shh.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Cap-If you move Tyutin what do you do with Nikitin? Keep him and hope the language thing isn't an issue. I have no clue if i really is or not but lots of folks have implied that it is.
Keep him at a reasonable contract for 2 years and see what happens. If he doesn't work without Tyutin either one of our defensive prospects steps up to take his ice time (ex. Moore) or you acquire a defenseman the following off-season.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We aren't offer sheeting anyone, never mind Schneider.
I didn't say we are, I said I would. I tend to agree that Howson won't for a myriad of reasons.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So after thinking about this for a day or so, and after last nightís debacle if I were the GM, Iíd quit.

Seriously, this would be my approach:

Full rebuild mode. I do not believe this team is even close. The Jackets could conceivably finish 20 points south of 29th. A tweak here, a tweak there ainít gonna git her done in my opinion.

Trade Nash for the most I can get for him. Try and get him to expand his list a bit to give maximum flexibility. But he is going to go regardless for the best offer. Except it would be great not to let him know this, but rather suggest to him that if he doesnít expand the list, it is going to be a few years before this team is competitive.

While I would like to obtain a starting goalie for him. I donít think that is possible. So,I offer a deal to RFA Cory Schneider. Vancouver will probably match but if they donít I have my goalie. If they match, I offer Josh Harding a 3 year deal at some realistic number, hopefully around $2 million or so. If he signs I either trade Mase or buy him out. If Harding passes Iím not sure what to do. Pray like hell that Maseís new pads are the answer I guess. Depending on how Mase plays down the stretch I either keep him or I buy him out and sign the 2 best UFA guys I can find. Maybe try and sign Dek to a 2 way as added insurance. If I could trade Mase I would.

I hire a new coaching staff. One that I believe can get the most out of what we have to work with because realistically I donít see me being able to get a lot in return for guys who underperformed in 2011-12 and who have long term deals. And also a staff that can develop the young guys because the franchise canít afford another 10 years of floundering.

If someone offers something for Umbie, Methot, or Brass I listen and if it is decent I take it to shake up the roster and hopefully improve the team.
It would have to be most decent for Brass. The other two not so much.

I resign Dorsett & Mackenzie for market rates for a 4th liner with maybe a slight bump to Dorsett. The two of them for 2.2-2.5 mill a year. Keep the terms as short as possible, two years maybe.

I resign Nikitin to a 3 year deal for around 1.2- 1.5 mill a year.

Goodbye to Boll(I think),Boyce and Ryan Russell, Aaron Johnson and Lebda. And Juice. He makes too much and has been injury prone.

I try and get a stay at home, shut down, physical D-man in FA for a reasonable price. In looking through the list Iím not sure there is such an animal in my price range but Iíll look. Maybe Hal Gill if the Preds donít resign him. If I canít I bring up Savard and see how he does. He looked okay to me while he was here but from hockeygirlís report he hasnít been so good in Springfield, possibly because he thinks he should be in Columbus.

My draft philosphy depends a lot on what happens with the Nash trade.

As I see it, there are two targets where I could get the most for him.

The Rangers who unless they win the Cup will be a bit more inclined to break up a bit of their team chemistry than they were at the deadline. The goal is one of their D-men, preferably a shut down type, but any one of Girardi,Stahl, McDonagh or del Zotto will do plus Brandon Dubinsky plus their #1 pick this year plus, if it could be wrangled, another prospect or young roster player. Kreider would suffice but he has to be signed first.

Toronto would be my second choice because I would love to have their #1 which looks like it is definitely going to be top 10 and may be as low as 7th or 8th. I also would try and get Lupol or Kessel in the deal. If that canít be achieved Gardiner and another #1 pick or a bunch of picks (this years 2 and next years 1) plus Schenn might get it done.

Failing to achieve either of these trades, I guess San Jose is the next option but I donít really have a feel of what they have that I want except Coture and they arenít likely to part with him.

Because it is full rebuild mode, I draft Yakupov with the #1. If we have Torontosí #1 as a result of the Nash trade, with the second pick I draft whoever is available from Grigo,Galyenchuk, Faksa, Forsberg and the top 3 d-men Murray, Trouba, and Dumba. Of these Grigo would be the only hesitation but if he was available at 8 I might take a flyer. Or maybe take the next best player available depending on what the homework reveals. If the trade leaves us with either the Rangerís or another teams #1 plus LAís #1 I would try to package one of those 1ís and one of our 2nds(maybe both) to see if we can move up into the top 8. if not the top 8 then depending on who is available I might make a similar trade later in the first round.

I draft a solid, physical shut down defensemen with my LA pick if we get it (and hasnít been traded) and there is a guy I really want still on the board. If not I pass until 2013. If I haven't traded them, use my 2nds to draft a d and maybe a goalie if a real gem is available otherwise I take a 2nd d-man.

I try and trade Umbie and Methot for whatever I can get unless there is some deep dark mystery as to why Umbie sucked this year-Methot I just donít like and his contract is tough. I trade Brass if I get a reasonable return.

I re-sign Dorsett and Mackenzie.

I pray we win the lottery next year and draft Nathan Mackinnon in 2013. Otherwise I rely on Sore Loser's report that there will be plenty of high end offensive talent next year and take the best guy I can.

I wouldnít expect this team to be much better next year(possibly it could be worse) but a few years out this would give us the best chance of building a solid franchise.

Looking out a couple or three years my roster could look like this if I get what I want from Rangers

Yak- Brass- Kreider
Mackinnon- RyJo-Atkinson
Calvert-Letestu- Dubinsky
Jenner-Mackenzie-Dorsett
??? as 13th forward

Ranger-D-man- JMFJ
Wis-Moore
Toots-Nikitin
Savard or ???

Goalies??? (Hopefully one of the FAís or a reclaimed Mason)

If I trade with Toronto my roster looks like this

Yak-Brass-Atkinson
Mackinnon-RyJo-2nd top 8 pick 2012
Calvert-Jenner-Letestu
???-Mackenzie-Dorsett

Wis-JMFJ
Toots-Nikitin
Moore-Savard/Methot/new guy-Murray,Dumba or Trouba if s d is selected w/second top 8 pick

Goalie??? Same as above

And in both cases a top draft choice or two or FA finds a home. RyJo and Brass could hopefully be interchanged with RyJo fulfilling his promise as the #4 pick.

The rebuild option doesnít bring an immediate cup contender to Columbus but I think a rebuild in this fashion would have the potential to get the ball (puck?) rolling towards that goal.

Biggest question marks to me are how/can goalie situation be stabilized and can our D develop as we think (hope?) it can.

I think we can draft enough high powered offense to score some goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't disagree that much.

Personally, I wouldn't bring Huselius back. Instead, I'd bring a former Jacket back--Ray Whitney. It would be 50% a marketing move and 50% a hockey move. You know what though, that worked out pretty well once upon a time when the Ducks decided to bring Selanne back into the fold.

Shane O'Brien is a guy I'd also consider adding. With him, Wiz and JJ, other teams will have to keep their heads on a swivel.

I'd trade Nash to San Jose for Pavelski, Greiss and their first round pick--if you can manage more, great. If they miss the playoffs, Wilson has to realize the windo is closing and he's either got to blow the team up or get a guy like Nash who'd have instant chemistry with Thornton.

Even with those moves the team would still need a lot of work particularly at forward. I started going through scenarios in typing up what I'd do and realized more and more that there's just no way this team is a playoff team next year unless guys like Johansen, Atkinson and whoever we draft play out of their mind. As such, I bring in (1) pieces that will help build for the long term and (2) character guys to surround and develop the work ethic in the young players like Whitney and even O'Brien.

One thing I'll quibble with people--I wouldn't re-sign Nikitin for more than two years. I'd want to see for sure what he's capable with Tyutin and I really do think that moving Tyutin should be considered to save cap space going forward. I also wouldn't break up JJ and Wiz. They have solid chemistry. What we need is a 1A or 1B pairing to add to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'll look at next year only. I think that the Jackets face a several year rebuild to be competitive. I'll try to be realistic as well (i.e. no trade of Umberger since no GM will ever get drunk enough to take him), no top UFAs (Parise, Suter, Weber) since they ain't coming to Columbus.

The defense is pretty well set already. Not much will be done here. It's going to take a few years on the offensive side of the equation. Goalies are just cogs in the machine for the time being. Need better than CBJs have, but a top acquisition isn't vital yet as I would think that next year's team probably won't be anything more than one which might flirt with a playoff berth.

Defense:
1) JJ ($4.4m)
2) Wiz ($5.5m)
3) Tyutin ($4.5m)
4) resign Nikitin ($1.8m/2or3 years)
5/6/7) Methot ($3m)/Moore ($1m)/Savard (.$.9m)

See ya: Lebda, Martinek, A. Johnson

Totals $21.1m

Top 6 forwards: This is just one year forward. A realistic assessment

1) #1 Pick ($3.8m)
2) Umberger (have to slot him here in hopes of a rebound) ($4.6m) (likely a bottom 6 early on next year)
3) Brassard (last chance for him) ($3.2m) (could fall to bottom 6)
4) Return from Nash trade ($3.5m)
5) Sign Huselius (contingent on medical evaluation) or lower tier UFA (like Whitney) ($3m)
6) Prospal ($2.5m) (could fall to bottom 6)

See Ya Boll, Boyce

Totals $20.6m

Bottom 6
1) Resign MacKenzie (2yrs/$1.5m)
2) Resign Dorsett (2-3yrs/$1.3m)
3) Atkinson ($.9m) could move up to top 6
4) Gillies ($.6m)
5) Letestu ($.6m) could move to top 6
6) Johansen ($1.9m) could move up to top 6

Total $6.8m

Goalies:

1) Sign UFA
Vokoun or Hedberg would be more than acceptable.
2 years at $3m for either I'll guess

2) Resign Sanford to a two way deal (.7m) with a $.3m signing bonus

3) Sign RFA Cedrick Desjardins (Sanford's former teammate in Hamilton (AHL) to a two way deal (.7m)

Adios Mason

Total $4m

Payroll Totals: $52.5
Buyouts: $2.0 (Commodore, Mason)

Total $55 million or so. That will increase a bit for a roster filler defenseman and a 13th forward.

There is some room here. But I'd leave some room for acquisitions via trade and UFA acquisitions for 2012-13. I'd love for the team to buy out Umberger if the new CBA provides for an amnesty buyout, but I'll assume that won't happen. There also could be a high #1 and/or a goalie for Nash which would change my roster. I operate under the assumption that Nash should be moved-that it would be best for all concerned. Perhaps the LA Kings pick (assuming they make the playoffs) will be roster ready.

I really don't have any issue with Richards as coach. I'd give him another year. He's got some experience and seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Oh, I'm not. I'm in my 40's and know what dead weight really is. Shoulda got a divorce.... I keed, I keed.

I like Luongo and think he would absolutely help this team but to pay him $6.7MM for the next 5(?) years before the actual contract value goes down scares me. Not to mention he's under contract until his 40's. The cap hit doesn't bother me but if he isn't a top notch keeper for another 3-5 years, this would be a bigger problem in my opinion.

Granted it all depends on what we give up. I liked the way Blahblah outlined the reshaping. If we could actually get some young talent in the top 6 that would perform then spedning the money on a guy like Luongo now might not be so bad. I'm thinking guys like Kreider and Dubinsky from the Rangers in a Nash deal (including other parts but those two would be a nice place to start in our top 6-9). Maybe drop back a couple spots in the draft and pick up a Lars Eller or Colborne? Draft Yakupov or Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Could you pull in a guy like Paajarvi from Edmonton (buy low....)? Will Vancouver look to move Raymond in the off season? I still like him and he has experience, wheels and some skill. Lot's of young guys but the defense should be much improved and there is more coming. I also wouldn't mind adding Erixon from the Rangers if he came with Kreider. I think he has significant potential to be a top pair guy.

Anyway, all that said, you put yourself in a position with future talent you don't need to pay a ton to until 3-5 years into Luongo's contract. He's stable enough that you could develop a guy from this years draft for 3-4 years down the road and that might be a good place to start.

Something like:

Umberger Brassard Raymond
Dubinsky Eller Atkinson
Prospal Johansen Kreider
Mackenzie Letestu Dorsett
Gillies Kubalik

Lot's of flexibility and speed with enough size and grit (in my opinion). This also doesn't put our first round pick into play next year if we aren't forced to. I could see Brassard getting moved and even if he were, guys like Dubinsky and Eller are solid centers (maybe better than wing).

JMFJ Wiz
Tyutin Nikitin
Erixon Moore
Savard

I'm not sold on Nikitin right now. He seems to have taken a step back without Tyutin. Maybe that's just coincedence.... I also would consider splitting JJ and Wiz if we could get another shut down guy like Mike Sauer from the Rangers (separate deal?). Depending on how things went, you could move Tyutin for future assets if that were possible. ONLY if we had players that could replace him. I still think he's a very good #3 and would be nice to keep on board. But I would move him for the right deal.

Luongo
Mason

I only left Mase on here (I'm an advocate for potential buyout) because I really haven't looked into this hard enough. I'm concerned Sanford may have some health issues and not interested in re-signing him at this point and I don't know that a guy like Biron or Harding fits if Luongo is the starter.

This team could be competitive and start the comeback. Some question marks for sure but having some of our young players continue to develop and not having to rely on the 2012 1st to play right away could be a very good thing. We also begin to rebuild our prospect pool given the potential 5 picks in the top 61 this year.

Just a quick random thought spurred by the Luongo comment. I'll try somethign more concrete later. Could be totally different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
I'm going to start with the idea that I got hired at the end of the season; otherwise, I'm jumping off of the room of Nationwide Arena for being the architect of this mess.

To start with I have the following players going into next year:
Nash (7.8), RJ (4.6), Brass (3.2), Prospal (2.5), RyJo (2), Cam (.9), Letestu (.6), Gillies (.6), Wiz (5.5), JJ (4.4), Methot (3), Toots (4.5), Moore (.9), Savard (.9), Mase (2.9).

This totals to about 46.8 Mil free to spend to the cap (I'm assuming this stays level for the moment - don't spend what you don't have).
With this money I have 1 G, 6 D, 8 F.

To start the action I am going to work under the idea that I have holes everywhere but I don't have to trade anyone necessarily. Though Toots is mega overpaid.

My first step is to shore up the goalie position. I trade Methot to Minny for the rights to Harding and immediately negotiate a 3 mil contract will him. That is overpaying, but he is more proven than Bernier and Schnieder - and I don't want to lose him to Toronto. This leaves me the flexibility to use Mase as really high paid back up to see if he can continue to rebound or he can become trade bait. net change is 0 dollars and there is still about 17.5 mill to play with.

Next I need to address roster holes. My current roster might look like:
Empty - Brass - Nash
Empty - RyJo - Cam
Prospal - Letestu - RJ
Gillies - Empty - Empty

JJ - Wiz
Toots - Empty
Moore - Savard
Empty

These aren't the slots I want to keep people in so I'm going to draft and sign UFA to fill the holes. First though, I'm resigning Nik Nik to play with Toots and they are becoming the 3rd D pair. Assume Nik Nik signs for 1.7 Mil - leaves 15.9 Mil to spend. I then slot Moore up with Wiz on the 2nd pair and use Savard as my 7th. This leaves me a slot on the first pair. I know JJ, and he's gutsy so I want a brick wall next to him. I see Dennis Wideman coming off 4 mil in Was and think here's my guy. Sign him for 4-4.5 Mil to play next to JJ. This leaves 11.4 Mil at worst. The defense now looks like:

JJ - Wides
Moore - Wiz
Toots - Nik Nik
Savard

I like the balanced feel I see. Next we need to address forwards. D Mac and Dorse are getting resigned for about 1 mil each. This gives an edge for a good 4th line that can shutdown and agitate with Dorse being able to play up to the 3rd line.

I like the 3rd line as is. It has grind and it has score on it. This line is built to work hard. This leaves two slots to address on the 2nd line and 1st line. First thing I'm doing is I'm looking for some guys that are tough but can also be offensive. I like the looks of Greg Campbell, Jiri Hudler, Daniel Paille, and Adam Burish. This makes me want to work on my lower lines some more. I trade RJ at the draft for picks (2nd and 4th - 2013) and in his place I sign Greg Campbell for 2.5 Mil. This adds 2 mil to spend and leave me 13.4 Mil.

I still don't like the size of my top lines with Cam and the potential of a Yak or Hudler. And I want someone meaner to play alongside Nash and Brass. I can't find a way for that to happen though so I sign Hudler as a balanced player for the 1st line to a 2.5 - 3mil contract. This leaves me 10.5 mil at worst and a hole or two on the second line. Now I'm kind of wishing I had Umberger still to fill that slot. RyJo - Cam is somewhat of a mystery. They really seem to need a hitter who can pass. I know the fix; PA Parenteau. open market it seems like he is worth 3 mil. So at 3.5 he signs with the CBJ. Down to 7 mil. What's the roster now?

Hudler - Brass - Nash
Cam - RyJo - PA
Campbell - Letestu - Prospal
Gillies - DMac - Dorse

JJ - Wide
Moore - Wiz
Toots - Nik
Savard

Harding
Mason

Still lacking elite two way, balanced players in the top 6 (assuming RyJo doesn't make a huge leap). Right now the draft pick is being traded down to pick Forsberg, Galenchyuk, or a D man.

Here's where I'm going to go off the deep end. I go win now. I've got some experience mixed with youth. I've got youngsters developing in the minors and in the lineup (but not much). I sign Burish for 1.8 Mil and roll him for Gillies. I expect SJS to collapse and not make the finals. I look at packaging the 1 overall + Brassard for Jumbo Joe*. We do some adding and subtracting for balance. This still leaves me cap space of about 2 mil and gives the lineup:

Hudler - Joe - Nash
Cam - RyJo - PA
Campbell - Letestu - Prospal
Burish - DMac - Dorse

JJ - Wide
Moore - Wiz
Toots - Nik
Savard

Harding
Mason

I like how mean the lower lines are and the 1st line is stellar. The D can be tough enough and I figure this team gets knocked out in the second round of the playoffs. The biggest weakness is the 2nd line and a question of how the team D will do. To work on that I hire a coach who will get compete from players and will get a good team defense philosophy.

Win now mode engaged.

*Willing to do this deal for Pavelski + as well. I like Yak but getting a big center is more important. If there was a way to do both and keep Nash, then sign me up. I also think that based on scouting reports 2013 will be great draft year for forwards so I can continue to build internally.

**instant stars for the ASG as well
Quote:

Long-ass posts are way cool and much appreciated, but take up too much time and are a poor way to pad your post count. When I joined, I absolutely loved exercises like Espen or cslebn's, but I eventually tired of the work. Now I just make fun of people but damn my post count is way up.
Word

Old
03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
cslebn

Quote:

It's really easy when you're a hockey nut and you already have this all worked out in spreadsheets () and just need to transpose into a forum text box.

I seriously would love a day behind the scenes and a chance to tinker just to see how hard it is and if we could succeed.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Fire Houson
Trade Nash for a decent return
Draft Yakupov
Sign a #1 goalie off UFA
Hire adequate GM and management staff
Wait a couple of seasons for team to build up
Playoffs
This is a good beginning; if possible I'd also reduce the McConnell, et. al., influence on the organization (both on ice and in Arena) and replace that influence with experienced NHL people from successful organizations.

Also, if I was GM, I would review every minor league organization connected with every NHL team and emulate the methods employed by those organizations that succeed in providing appropriate depth at the appropriate time for their major league team.

I think the root cause for 11 years of losing starts in the owner’s suite... After many players and many coaches over 11 seasons the results don't change in Columbus, the team needs outside help to change the losing NHL culture to that of a winner.

Last edited by Robert: 03-22-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
It's really easy when you're a hockey nut and you already have this all worked out in spreadsheets () and just need to transpose into a forum text box.

I seriously would love a day behind the scenes and a chance to tinker just to see how hard it is and if we could succeed.
Nothing wrong with that - like I said, the exercise is enjoyable, I just can't get my brain to focus long enough lately to see it through. Nice to know folks still can so I can at least read it. That, and the joke about padding my post count.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 03-23-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old
03-22-2012, 09:45 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Oh, I'm not. I'm in my 40's and know what dead weight really is. Shoulda got a divorce.... I keed, I keed.

I like Luongo and think he would absolutely help this team but to pay him $6.7MM for the next 5(?) years before the actual contract value goes down scares me. Not to mention he's under contract until his 40's. The cap hit doesn't bother me but if he isn't a top notch keeper for another 3-5 years, this would be a bigger problem in my opinion.

Granted it all depends on what we give up. I liked the way Blahblah outlined the reshaping. If we could actually get some young talent in the top 6 that would perform then spedning the money on a guy like Luongo now might not be so bad. I'm thinking guys like Kreider and Dubinsky from the Rangers in a Nash deal (including other parts but those two would be a nice place to start in our top 6-9). Maybe drop back a couple spots in the draft and pick up a Lars Eller or Colborne? Draft Yakupov or Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Could you pull in a guy like Paajarvi from Edmonton (buy low....)? Will Vancouver look to move Raymond in the off season? I still like him and he has experience, wheels and some skill. Lot's of young guys but the defense should be much improved and there is more coming. I also wouldn't mind adding Erixon from the Rangers if he came with Kreider. I think he has significant potential to be a top pair guy.

Anyway, all that said, you put yourself in a position with future talent you don't need to pay a ton to until 3-5 years into Luongo's contract. He's stable enough that you could develop a guy from this years draft for 3-4 years down the road and that might be a good place to start.

Something like:

Umberger Brassard Raymond
Dubinsky Eller Atkinson
Prospal Johansen Kreider
Mackenzie Letestu Dorsett
Gillies Kubalik

Lot's of flexibility and speed with enough size and grit (in my opinion). This also doesn't put our first round pick into play next year if we aren't forced to. I could see Brassard getting moved and even if he were, guys like Dubinsky and Eller are solid centers (maybe better than wing).

JMFJ Wiz
Tyutin Nikitin
Erixon Moore
Savard

I'm not sold on Nikitin right now. He seems to have taken a step back without Tyutin. Maybe that's just coincedence.... I also would consider splitting JJ and Wiz if we could get another shut down guy like Mike Sauer from the Rangers (separate deal?). Depending on how things went, you could move Tyutin for future assets if that were possible. ONLY if we had players that could replace him. I still think he's a very good #3 and would be nice to keep on board. But I would move him for the right deal.

Luongo
Mason

I only left Mase on here (I'm an advocate for potential buyout) because I really haven't looked into this hard enough. I'm concerned Sanford may have some health issues and not interested in re-signing him at this point and I don't know that a guy like Biron or Harding fits if Luongo is the starter.

This team could be competitive and start the comeback. Some question marks for sure but having some of our young players continue to develop and not having to rely on the 2012 1st to play right away could be a very good thing. We also begin to rebuild our prospect pool given the potential 5 picks in the top 61 this year.

Just a quick random thought spurred by the Luongo comment. I'll try somethign more concrete later. Could be totally different.
Interesting thoughts. I'll try to keep mine shorter.

In light of the responsibility placed upon the goalie and the fact that we as a destination are equal to being banished to hell, we're gonna have to overpay to get a veteran. Not sure I want Roberto's head games, snow angels or aging body when it seems that no goalie can string together 3-4 years of solid play and when it comes to playoffs, Luongo isn't the guy you want in net. If you listen to the Canuck faithful, some want him out of there. I think I'd pass. Might look hard at Schnieder, kick the tires. I can't think of anyone I'd want to be honest. The ones that are available are really no better than Mason and the room seems to love him.

I liked Blah's line too. I usually do agree with him. We may need to discuss Huselius. LOL In looking at yours, the first thing that jumped out at me was Umberger on the first line. That's just not gonna get it. I like RJ. I want to think he's just laying down, sort of passive aggressive against management but he is debatable on the second line, no way I'd put him on the first line, even though he's paid top line. Same with Brass. As far as I'm concerned you could ship all of the top two lines out. I'm pretty fed up. Lack of chemistry, talent, attitude, whatever. Bye, bye.

If Nash leaves and the Rangers let us go through their garage sale, I'd buy. They have a good development program and a surplus of talent that all can't be used. I still want Sauter!!! No one listens to me but he's a good dman, not top line in NY but could be here. The only D-men I'd keep is Tyutin, Jack and Moore.

I've spent the last couple months watching. I've seen enough.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Word
Actually, lots of words.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post

In light of the responsibility placed upon the goalie and the fact that we as a destination are equal to being banished to hell, we're gonna have to overpay to get a veteran. Not sure I want Roberto's head games, snow angels or aging body when it seems that no goalie can string together 3-4 years of solid play and when it comes to playoffs, Luongo isn't the guy you want in net. If you listen to the Canuck faithful, some want him out of there. I think I'd pass. Might look hard at Schnieder, kick the tires. I can't think of anyone I'd want to be honest. The ones that are available are really no better than Mason and the room seems to love him.

I liked Blah's line too. I usually do agree with him. We may need to discuss Huselius. LOL In looking at yours, the first thing that jumped out at me was Umberger on the first line. That's just not gonna get it. I like RJ. I want to think he's just laying down, sort of passive aggressive against management but he is debatable on the second line, no way I'd put him on the first line, even though he's paid top line. Same with Brass. As far as I'm concerned you could ship all of the top two lines out. I'm pretty fed up. Lack of chemistry, talent, attitude, whatever. Bye, bye.

If Nash leaves and the Rangers let us go through their garage sale, I'd buy. They have a good development program and a surplus of talent that all can't be used. I still want Sauter!!! No one listens to me but he's a good dman, not top line in NY but could be here. The only D-men I'd keep is Tyutin, Jack and Moore.

Not bad Coug... Loungo no! We need a younger guy with a future for that spot.. As for our top 6 if Nash is gone there isn't much left, I like Brass.. As for Juice, the knee jerk in me says dump him but for the board I'll say the Jackets won't be much better with him because I doubt he will be healthy.

Our top six next season must include Yakupov (youthful mistakes included), Johansen, Brass, a top six forward from the Nash trade and some luck!

Old
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not bad Coug... Loungo no! We need a younger guy with a future for that spot.. As for our top 6 if Nash is gone there isn't much left, I like Brass.. As for Juice, the knee jerk in me says dump him but for the board I'll say the Jackets won't be much better with him because I doubt he will be healthy.

Our top six next season must include Yakupov (youthful mistakes included), Johansen, Brass, a top six forward from the Nash trade and some luck!
If Nash is gone, you better bring me something other than that lineup or I'm throwing the ******** flag. I mean it. I'm done with the top two lines. They've had all year to show me something other than excuses and they failed. Get them out of here.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
If Nash is gone, you better bring me something other than that lineup or I'm throwing the ******** flag. I mean it. I'm done with the top two lines. They've had all year to show me something other than excuses and they failed. Get them out of here.
Funny, if I said that...... oh well. It's been a tough season and Mr. Mason was the start. I can see potential for the CBJ with major changes in mgt that will lead to major changes in the lineup etc..

The Jackets have enough assets to start over next season if applied correctly from bottom up. I know the powers to be around here think I'm pimping Dineen all the time but Dale Tallon is the guy who has built the new Panthers, Kevin has simply coached them well. No reason the Jackets can't be the next Florida Panthers..

Old
03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Best idea yet.

- I win the lottery
- I buy a majority stake in the team
- I install myself as supreme authority, including wearing a crown and carrying a gold scepter. The crown will be made of solid gold, the scepter will come from Party City's clearance section
- During training camp, as cuts approach, I walk around the locker room dressed like Darth Vader
- I give easily the most entertaining interviews in the history of professional sports, complete with wearing goofy costumes while maintaining a straight face. Try to imagine a team owner dressed like an Inquisitor from a Monty Python skit, then trying to work "Nobody expects it" into every answer
- Constantly make vague references to pushing peasants into the mud pits, only to pull them after realizing that there's no danger because the peasants are standing on Scott Lachance's NHL career and Jeff Carter's pride

Old
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
- I give easily the most entertaining interviews in the history of professional sports, complete with wearing goofy costumes while maintaining a straight face. Try to imagine a team owner dressed like an Inquisitor from a Monty Python skit, then constantly trying to work "Nobody expects it" into every answer
I actually wondered today if there would be retaliation if an NHL player were to answer the question "What would you do if you weren't an NHL player?" with "I'd play for the Blue Jackets."

Old
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Funny, if I said that...... oh well. It's been a tough season and Mr. Mason was the start. I can see potential for the CBJ with major changes in mgt that will lead to major changes in the lineup etc..

The Jackets have enough assets to start over next season if applied correctly from bottom up. I know the powers to be around here think I'm pimping Dineen all the time but Dale Tallon is the guy who has built the new Panthers, Kevin has simply coached them well. No reason the Jackets can't be the next Florida Panthers..
You can still come sit by me anytime, Robert.

You know I love them. I do. And I will forgive them most anything. But if this year has shown me anything it's that we have not gelled, we do not play well together. We can point at the injuries, but everyone has them. When this ship was sinking, the top guys should have stepped up and stopped it.

They didn't.

Did you see the clip of Juice dancing at the Black Tie event? Didn't look like a man with groin issues to me. There I said it.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
You can still come sit by me anytime, Robert.

You know I love them. I do. And I will forgive them most anything. But if this year has shown me anything it's that we have not gelled, we do not play well together. We can point at the injuries, but everyone has them. When this ship was sinking, the top guys should have stepped up and stopped it.

They didn't.

Did you see the clip of Juice dancing at the Black Tie event? Didn't look like a man with groin issues to me. There I said it.
Did not see it... (Juice dance)..

Old
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I actually wondered today if there would be retaliation if an NHL player were to answer the question "What would you do if you weren't an NHL player?" with "I'd play for the Blue Jackets."
I'd do a promo that announced the change of the team name to "Starlight Express", then kick it off with a conga line onto the ice in pregame warmups. Then if anyone was asked about playing for the Jackets, they'd be required to answer, "I ride the Starlight Express into happily ever after."

That would still be substantially less embarrassing for all involved parties than the Ottawa Senators' playoff mascot a few years ago.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:44 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Did not see it... (Juice dance)..
Yeah. It's out there. Probably up on the Jackets.com He was twisting like Elvis. Good dancer, except for the nagging groin kept him off the ice forever thing.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJGpUuD4EM

Check out Juice at about 3:07

Last edited by CBJCougar: 03-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Word
Troll.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Troll.
I don't often if ever mention poster stats or post content but this time even DSL and JF got one right...

Old
03-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd do a promo that announced the change of the team name to "Starlight Express", then kick it off with a conga line onto the ice in pregame warmups. Then if anyone was asked about playing for the Jackets, they'd be required to answer, "I ride the Starlight Express into happily ever after."
Wrong kind of skates.

Quote:
Word
Quote:
Quote:
I don't often if ever mention poster stats or post content but this time even DSL and JF got one right...
To be clear, I am not discouraging long posts, merely stating that I used to make them but don't anymore - I read 'em, but don't write 'em. The joke was that this place will eventually stamp out the ability to concentrate for longer...

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 03-23-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old
03-23-2012, 06:39 AM
EspenK

Quote:

To be clear, I am not discouraging long posts,
ok

Old
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded part. They root for their goalie, because, well.... he's the freakin GOALIE. But off the ice, I'm not so sure the love is there.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

To be clear, I am not discouraging long posts, merely stating that I used to make them but don't anymore - I read 'em, but don't write 'em. The joke was that this place will eventually stamp out the ability to concentrate for longer...
As a mod, you HAVE to read long posts looking for infractions and words like "scrotum".

The rest of us just skim read them knowing that really long posts almost always presume too much expertise or lack of gainful employment, or signal a sick day home from High School.

It is also well known that those with THAT much to say in one post should do what other Hfers "hold forthers" have done and start their own blog.

Of course, I am a regular in HF Cbj GD Chat which has trained me to keep it to one liners, and already this post will cost me cred among my people.

Closed Thread