HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Del Zotto's performance on the right side

Old
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Del Zotto's performance on the right side

As of late, John Tortorella, in order to create a more balanced and legitimate top 4put together Staal and Del Zotto, both exclusively left-side defensemen together on a pairing.

We have seen this a lot since Erixon's recent callup, but it had been done on and off earlier in the season.

How do you NYR fans think Del Zotto has performed on the right side? What I have seen is his performance defensively significantly declined,and his offense has not been huge since the switch either.

03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
As of late, John Tortorella, in order to create a more balanced and legitimate top 4put together Staal and Del Zotto, both exclusively left-side defensemen together on a pairing.

We have seen this a lot since Erixon's recent callup, but it had been done on and off earlier in the season.

How do you NYR fans think Del Zotto has performed on the right side? What I have seen is his performance defensively significantly declined,and his offense has not been huge since the switch either.
Valid point but I think he is still hurt from the hip pointer or whatever he got when he hit the post. The other night instead of hitting someone with his right hip, which was closest to the other player, he turned his body to get a piece of the player.

I'd like to see him healthier before saying his play has regressed because he's playing on a different side.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well... when he got his assist on Cally's goal in OT, he was on the left side of the ice

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

One problem DZ had when playing the right side was he would drift over to the left side. He has improved on that. The hip will be an issue for the rest of the season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Pugs35

He's looked better since Erixon came up than he was at it earlier. I thought he was flying against the Avs, okay agains NJ and yeah obviously bad the other night. I'm not sure it was playing on the right that did it however.

I think you've got to keep him there for now and see if they can make it work, though.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
One problem DZ had when playing the right side was he would drift over to the left side. He has improved on that. The hip will be an issue for the rest of the season.
This contributed more to his struggles than the switch in my opinion. Was at the game Wednesday night and he appeared to struggle pushing off and skating in general at times. It will definitely persist but hopefully it gets a little better. Kaleta better get his tonight.

nyranger61494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
SnowblindNYR

People keep saying how the Rangers' D-men were bad against the Wings. First it was our first pairing now it's MDZ. But we allowed 27 shots, 1 goal, and Lundqvist didn't need to come close to standing on his head. The Wings were injured, but this is still not the Minnesota Wild we're talking about. Something seems to be missing here. If 3 of our top 4 D-men struggled so badly how did we end up holding them to 1 goal in a game where Lundqvist wasn't a monster or anything.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Vitto79

Tons of lefty Dmen are on the Right Side, I really hope this sticks. Not only for this yr but next when Sauer is hopefully back or when McIlrath can make the team.

McD, Girardi
Staal, Del Zotto
Erixon, Sauer
Stralman and Bickel both back as RFA signings.
McIlrath in CT

good depth for next yr already

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
He's a step down on the right side, but better than Bickel or Stralman getting top 4 minutes

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
People keep saying how the Rangers' D-men were bad against the Wings. First it was our first pairing now it's MDZ. But we allowed 27 shots, 1 goal, and Lundqvist didn't need to come close to standing on his head. The Wings were injured, but this is still not the Minnesota Wild we're talking about. Something seems to be missing here. If 3 of our top 4 D-men struggled so badly how did we end up holding them to 1 goal in a game where Lundqvist wasn't a monster or anything.
Keep in mind on this board, anything but a 15-0 win in which they scored on 50% of their shots and went 4/4 on the power play is considered less than a decent game. A good game is a 40-0 win.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Valid point but I think he is still hurt from the hip pointer or whatever he got when he hit the post. The other night instead of hitting someone with his right hip, which was closest to the other player, he turned his body to get a piece of the player.

I'd like to see him healthier before saying his play has regressed because he's playing on a different side.
Agreed. He's played there on a few occasions, if I recall correctly, and his play has been average to good for the most part. Let him continue to adjust and recover from his hip problem.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

In the long run, I perfer him on the right side. He is a lefty shot and I feel it will give him more of an opportunity to shoot. There is going to be some growing pains though.

I really like Del Zotto with Staal. I don't feel he made a whole lot of mistakes in that Red Wings game, outside of losing control of the puck that to lead to a scoring chance.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I would imagine a more fundamentally sound player like McDonagh would be a better option to play on his off side. I trust him more in that situation than Del Zotto.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote