HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
  #251
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
First round picks aren't tradable in the OHL, though, right?
No Sir, they are not. Only defected draft picks are (ie. Max Domi and Adam Bateman)

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
  #252
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,718
vCash: 500
i have 7 mutual friends with him on facebook ... im a boss

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
  #253
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Believe me, every program can afford it, some choose not to do it out of a bottom line mentality.

Those who are worried about McDavid reporting have never had a conversation with him and dont know the parents. All season they kept their cards close to the vest. Limited interviews, focus on the next game and dont worry about April. Thats how they are. Until hes drafted or he agrees in principle to an education packege, they wont comment publically. Because of that, people make leaps. Irrisponsable leaps in my opinion.

And although its not on official requirement, they do ask about reporting and willingness to go anywhere. They woudlnt pass anyone who was not willing to do so. The Otters are under no obligation to pick him. Of course the OHL is not going to say publically that McDavid is going to be forced to report, thats bad PR, but trust me, Hockey Canada would not approve the application for someone who doesnt want to play in Erie. Its all part of the process.
That is great for all Otters fan to hear. I believe your opinion on this more so than any other poster that I have recently read on this matter. From what I hear Connor is not only of phenomenal talent on the ice but is a excellent person off the ice as well. I hate saying that he will for sure be in Erie even after reading your post because Im more of a I will believe it when it is written in stone kind of person, but if Erie is lucky enough to get him he is going to be absolutely loved here and treated the best way possible. Brad Boyes was the best player to play for Erie and everyone in the city knows his name and to this day he is still talked about. I remember the playoffs the year they won the title and every team in the league said the atmosphere in Erie was unmatched compared to other teams and of how loud the crowd was. The year they retired his jersey the team was not very good and it was a sellout crowd that night at least 5 years after he played here. With all due respect to Boyes Connor is a much better player at this point in his career so imagine how he would be treated here.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
  #254
mlechtner13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
That is great for all Otters fan to hear. I believe your opinion on this more so than any other poster that I have recently read on this matter. From what I hear Connor is not only of phenomenal talent on the ice but is a excellent person off the ice as well. I hate saying that he will for sure be in Erie even after reading your post because Im more of a I will believe it when it is written in stone kind of person, but if Erie is lucky enough to get him he is going to be absolutely loved here and treated the best way possible. Brad Boyes was the best player to play for Erie and everyone in the city knows his name and to this day he is still talked about. I remember the playoffs the year they won the title and every team in the league said the atmosphere in Erie was unmatched compared to other teams and of how loud the crowd was. The year they retired his jersey the team was not very good and it was a sellout crowd that night at least 5 years after he played here. With all due respect to Boyes Connor is a much better player at this point in his career so imagine how he would be treated here.
Yeah. The past two years before this year, the arena wasn't usually sold out, but those who were there made the atmosphere great. Erie is a great hockey town and I'm glad they just extended the arena lease. The Otters will continue to rebuild and keep getting better each and every game next season. They have the young talent with guys like Harper, Fox, Pelech, Brown, Donnay, and Maaskant.

mlechtner13 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
  #255
Dhockey16
Registered User
 
Dhockey16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.

Dhockey16 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
  #256
Dhockey16
Registered User
 
Dhockey16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Also, any reason as to why OHL teams can't trade 1st round picks? Baie-Comeau seemed to get a pretty good mix of players and picks for Mackinnon, not sure why it wouldn't work in the O. Some insight would be appreciated.

Dhockey16 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #257
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.
I agree with both previous posts. Only time will tell and we will see what happens. Erie has the utmost potential with the core they have and Connor can turn them into a title contender in two years. The education here really is just as good if not better than other cities. I have lived here my whole life and went through the education system in Millcreek. Which is the school district he would most likely be in.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
  #258
Dhockey16
Registered User
 
Dhockey16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I agree with both previous posts. Only time will tell and we will see what happens. Erie has the utmost potential with the core they have and Connor can turn them into a title contender in two years. The education here really is just as good if not better than other cities. I have lived here my whole life and went through the education system in Millcreek. Which is the school district he would most likely be in.
I'm pretty sure it's McDowell or Prep for the Otters. Students get out of McDowell what they put into it, and it appears that Connor is serious about education so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how his family feels religiously or what they think about an all-male school (Cathedral Prep), but he may be one of the few kids who choose the private school route. I think most people would agree the Otters will be a playoff team in a couple years with or without McDavid, but he's the difference between fighting for a 7 or 8 seed and a 1 or 2 seed. I'd love to see him feeding passes to Stephen Harper in front of the net. Even off the ice though I really believe he could adapt well to Erie if he gives it a shot. Ryan O'Reilly was only on the team for two years and he's still a pretty familiar figure around Erie even outside of people who know hockey. I can remember playing pickup at a particularly run down local arena over summer a few years back and O'Reilly was right in the middle of the action more than one time; albeit going significantly less than %50, but spending his time in Erie nonetheless. Apparently he saw something in Erie that so many others (Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, even Jeff Skinner) never gave a thought. As mentioned before, only time will tell.

Dhockey16 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
  #259
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's McDowell or Prep for the Otters. Students get out of McDowell what they put into it, and it appears that Connor is serious about education so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how his family feels religiously or what they think about an all-male school (Cathedral Prep), but he may be one of the few kids who choose the private school route. I think most people would agree the Otters will be a playoff team in a couple years with or without McDavid, but he's the difference between fighting for a 7 or 8 seed and a 1 or 2 seed. I'd love to see him feeding passes to Stephen Harper in front of the net. Even off the ice though I really believe he could adapt well to Erie if he gives it a shot. Ryan O'Reilly was only on the team for two years and he's still a pretty familiar figure around Erie even outside of people who know hockey. I can remember playing pickup at a particularly run down local arena over summer a few years back and O'Reilly was right in the middle of the action more than one time; albeit going significantly less than %50, but spending his time in Erie nonetheless. Apparently he saw something in Erie that so many others (Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, even Jeff Skinner) never gave a thought. As mentioned before, only time will tell.
Ya Erie honestly can be one of the best places to play junior hockey its just a shame it has not been in most recent years but that is due to the fact kids don't want to come here. The other outstanding factors such as education remain strong, McDowell high school's class each year about 85 to 90% go on to secondary education maybe even more than that. In two years Erie should be a good and competitive team but if the can have Mcdavid they can be a great team challenging for the title.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 10:59 PM
  #260
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
Also, any reason as to why OHL teams can't trade 1st round picks? Baie-Comeau seemed to get a pretty good mix of players and picks for Mackinnon, not sure why it wouldn't work in the O. Some insight would be appreciated.
Just the way OHL does things, but as I mentioned before theres a trade period in August/September if a 1st round pick doesnt report to camp you can trade said player and get a conditional 1st round pick in the next years draft along with whatever you get in return from the other team.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
  #261
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's McDowell or Prep for the Otters. Students get out of McDowell what they put into it, and it appears that Connor is serious about education so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how his family feels religiously or what they think about an all-male school (Cathedral Prep), but he may be one of the few kids who choose the private school route. I think most people would agree the Otters will be a playoff team in a couple years with or without McDavid, but he's the difference between fighting for a 7 or 8 seed and a 1 or 2 seed. I'd love to see him feeding passes to Stephen Harper in front of the net. Even off the ice though I really believe he could adapt well to Erie if he gives it a shot. Ryan O'Reilly was only on the team for two years and he's still a pretty familiar figure around Erie even outside of people who know hockey. I can remember playing pickup at a particularly run down local arena over summer a few years back and O'Reilly was right in the middle of the action more than one time; albeit going significantly less than %50, but spending his time in Erie nonetheless. Apparently he saw something in Erie that so many others (Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, even Jeff Skinner) never gave a thought. As mentioned before, only time will tell.
According to this it's McDowell High school and Cathedral Prep School

http://www.bestofbothworlds.ca/academic-advisors-s12058

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 08:07 AM
  #262
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Does anyone know why Josh Ho-Sang didn't apply for exceptional status last year?

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
  #263
mlechtner13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's McDowell or Prep for the Otters. Students get out of McDowell what they put into it, and it appears that Connor is serious about education so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how his family feels religiously or what they think about an all-male school (Cathedral Prep), but he may be one of the few kids who choose the private school route. I think most people would agree the Otters will be a playoff team in a couple years with or without McDavid, but he's the difference between fighting for a 7 or 8 seed and a 1 or 2 seed. I'd love to see him feeding passes to Stephen Harper in front of the net. Even off the ice though I really believe he could adapt well to Erie if he gives it a shot. Ryan O'Reilly was only on the team for two years and he's still a pretty familiar figure around Erie even outside of people who know hockey. I can remember playing pickup at a particularly run down local arena over summer a few years back and O'Reilly was right in the middle of the action more than one time; albeit going significantly less than %50, but spending his time in Erie nonetheless. Apparently he saw something in Erie that so many others (Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, even Jeff Skinner) never gave a thought. As mentioned before, only time will tell.
Yeah, they usually choose McDowell. I graduated there 2 years ago, and it seemed to me that the whole team was there. I have only heard of one Otter going to Prep, and that was Jase Sniderman a few years ago.

mlechtner13 is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
  #264
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.
i know what you're saying but frankly any leverage a kid and his family can use to get him where they want is perfectly fine with me. You are talking about a league where they are taking 15-20 year olds far from their homes in many cases, and raking in huge dollars off these 'employees' whom in turn they do not pay.

Honestly im not even sure how its legal. lol.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
  #265
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
i know what you're saying but frankly any leverage a kid and his family can use to get him where they want is perfectly fine with me. You are talking about a league where they are taking 15-20 year olds far from their homes in many cases, and raking in huge dollars off these 'employees' whom in turn they do not pay.

Honestly im not even sure how its legal. lol.
You are joking right? no one is forcing these kids to move away from their homes to play hockey. They are doing it because it is the next step in their dream of one day playing in the NHL. These kids are fortunate to have the skill to be able to play at such a high level. That is like saying some one who signed up for the military should never have to leave home or fight to defend their country. I am a huge supporter of our troops do not get me wrong but they signed up to do it just like all of the players in this league.

If a player is serious about a career in hockey or any sport for that matter it may take moving away to better your game. That is just how it is and these kids will gladly do it to be playing in the NHL some day.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
  #266
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.
This isn't accurate. London didn't pick Domi - they picked Horvat. Kingston drafted Domi...and he refused to show so they traded him to London.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a top prospect trying to control where he plays. It happens all the time. These teams make a lot of money off the players.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
  #267
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
You are joking right? no one is forcing these kids to move away from their homes to play hockey. They are doing it because it is the next step in their dream of one day playing in the NHL. These kids are fortunate to have the skill to be able to play at such a high level. That is like saying some one who signed up for the military should never have to leave home or fight to defend their country. I am a huge supporter of our troops do not get me wrong but they signed up to do it just like all of the players in this league.

If a player is serious about a career in hockey or any sport for that matter it may take moving away to better your game. That is just how it is and these kids will gladly do it to be playing in the NHL some day.
yes, because the military drafts 15 and 16 year old kids, dispatches them off to far off places and doesnt pay them, and your odds of staying in the military and making a career of it are also in the vicinity of 0 %

The way you describe it, you'd think that most of the kids in the CHL actually ever earn money in some form of hockey, and that they should be grateful that there are business owners out there that are willing to let them chase their dreams by working for free while they line their pockets with free labour.

is it fun for the kids? probably. they get to play hockey - what kid who loves hockey doesnt like to play hockey. that's not the point.

why dont you find a list of business or sports leagues that employ children as young as 15/16, essentially forces them to play in cities that could be a thousand plus miles from home in for profit enterprises that dont pay said employees.

just because they sign up for it doesnt make it a good system.
what other choice do they have? to NOT play. not much of a choice is it?
do you think its OK for the NCAA to rake in billions of the backs on unpaid athletes who cant even get a free lunch without putting the entire program at that school in danger of suspension? at least those guys get scholarships and have their post secondary education paid for.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
  #268
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
yes, because the military drafts 15 and 16 year old kids, dispatches them off to far off places and doesnt pay them, and your odds of staying in the military and making a career of it are also in the vicinity of 0 %

The way you describe it, you'd think that most of the kids in the CHL actually ever earn money in some form of hockey, and that they should be grateful that there are business owners out there that are willing to let them chase their dreams by working for free while they line their pockets with free labour.

is it fun for the kids? probably. they get to play hockey - what kid who loves hockey doesnt like to play hockey. that's not the point.

why dont you find a list of business or sports leagues that employ children as young as 15/16, essentially forces them to play in cities that could be a thousand plus miles from home in for profit enterprises that dont pay said employees.

just because they sign up for it doesnt make it a good system.
what other choice do they have? to NOT play. not much of a choice is it?
do you think its OK for the NCAA to rake in billions of the backs on unpaid athletes who cant even get a free lunch without putting the entire program at that school in danger of suspension? at least those guys get scholarships and have their post secondary education paid for.
So people don't make careers out of the military? People are in for twenty years and retire with pensions but that's besides the point.
Look junior hockey is this way for a reason the players sign up to play and like I said no one forces them to play. If they don't want to play in junior hockey they can go the college route. If you don't like it then don't support or watch the league. It's as simple as that.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
  #269
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
So people don't make careers out of the military? People are in for twenty years and retire with pensions but that's besides the point.
Look junior hockey is this way for a reason the players sign up to play and like I said no one forces them to play. If they don't want to play in junior hockey they can go the college route. If you don't like it then don't support or watch the league. It's as simple as that.
its not as simple as that and you completely missed the point with respect to the military analogy.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
  #270
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Just because McDavid received exceptional status doesn't mean the Erie Otters are forced to pick him. McDavid and his parents are reserved, they were saying all right things. Why say they will report to Erie if the kid hasn't even been picked by the team. With that said McDavid applied knowing Erie had the first pick. The Otters will select him and he will report.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
  #271
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
its not as simple as that and you completely missed the point with respect to the military analogy.
You missed the point in my first post but that's is beside the point. A lot of kids have said junior hockey is the best time in their careers and they love it. I understand your point but it's not as bad as you make it sound. Hey the league is not for everyone so don't support it if you feel that way.

Any way this thread is about Connor mcdavid and his phenomenal talent, not about problems people have with junior hockey so let's keep the posts about mcdavid please.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
  #272
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Just because McDavid received exceptional status doesn't mean the Erie Otters are forced to pick him. McDavid and his parents are reserved, they were saying all right things. Why say they will report to Erie if the kid hasn't even been picked by the team. With that said McDavid applied knowing Erie had the first pick. The Otters will select him and he will report.
I agree and that could not have sounded better.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
  #273
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
just because they sign up for it doesnt make it a good system.
what other choice do they have? to NOT play. not much of a choice is it?
do you think its OK for the NCAA to rake in billions of the backs on unpaid athletes who cant even get a free lunch without putting the entire program at that school in danger of suspension? at least those guys get scholarships and have their post secondary education paid for.
Technically you do get your education paid for if you play in the CHL. The minimum is one year of schooling for each year you play in the CHL. There are increased education packages from there for a limited number of athletes.

Having said that, I have always been conflicted with the draft in junior hockey. On one hand I think there should be some fairness in the competition. I don't like when players don't report, though we haven't really had that issue in Barrie (except with Kerby Rychel). On the other, I would have a tough time sending my kid away at 16 years old, especially to another country (even though its the US). At the end of the day, I think the compensatory pick is a decent compromise of the two.

I expect McDavid will report. He knew long ago that Erie would have the first pick - well before he decided to apply. Certainly he could have withdrawn before the decision was announced. I expect to see him with the Otters next year.

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:51 PM
  #274
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Technically you do get your education paid for if you play in the CHL. The minimum is one year of schooling for each year you play in the CHL. There are increased education packages from there for a limited number of athletes.

Having said that, I have always been conflicted with the draft in junior hockey. On one hand I think there should be some fairness in the competition. I don't like when players don't report, though we haven't really had that issue in Barrie (except with Kerby Rychel). On the other, I would have a tough time sending my kid away at 16 years old, especially to another country (even though its the US). At the end of the day, I think the compensatory pick is a decent compromise of the two.

I expect McDavid will report. He knew long ago that Erie would have the first pick - well before he decided to apply. Certainly he could have withdrawn before the decision was announced. I expect to see him with the Otters next year.
Lets say a player goes onto spend some time in the AHL (lets say 8 years) never makes it to the NHL except for a few games. Is that education package waiting for him? Can the player use the education package during off season during that 8 years?

UvBnDatsyuked is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:07 PM
  #275
welcometothebigshow2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Lets say a player goes onto spend some time in the AHL (lets say 8 years) never makes it to the NHL except for a few games. Is that education package waiting for him? Can the player use the education package during off season during that 8 years?
As soon as a player signs a pro contract, his education package is gone.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.