HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Thrashers Fans- Who's coming to the Jets game Saturday?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Bongo

vCash: 500
As will I.

I'll be back in Nashville during the playoffs to cheer the Preds.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
Just wondering how many Thrashers (former) fans are headed to Smashville Saturday for the Jets ‎game?

I am a former die-hard Atlanta Thrashers fan from Birmingham, and I have successfully converted ‎myself and my son to be Predators fans.‎

Really looking forward to it- it is going to be really strange seeing “our” former team and rooting ‎against them. It has been interesting, though- I thought it would be a difficult transition, but it didn’t ‎take long at all before they kind of just felt like another team.‎

I am thoroughly enjoying being a fan of a winning team, one that has a legitimate chance to make a run ‎at a Cup- after 11 mostly horrible years of pulling for the Thrashers, I almost don’t know how to act.‎

I am a little torn on what to wear- I am 100% a Predators fan now, and of course will be rooting for ‎Nashville and against Winnipeg just like they are any other opponent. But since we didn’t get any real ‎closure last year, I wouldn’t mind having one final time to wear my Thrashers jersey- I may just wear it ‎up until face off, then rip that sucker off…..‎

For those Thrashers fans who are coming to the game- are you wearing Thrashers gear???‎

Dennis in Birmingham
I'll be there with my daughter in 108 - our fifth game this year. We will both be wearing Preds gear, cheering for the Preds.

It'll be emotional for us I'm sure seeing Thrashers Jerseys. When they left, many a tear was shed in our house of 3 female Thrashers fans and yours truly.

GO PREDS

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
ATLhockey437

Got tickets to the game, Ill be rocking a thrashers practice jersey in 309. If there are any STH's on here that know of good lowerbowl sections that me and my buddy could stay in after warmups, please let me know. I imagine it will be packed now b/c of Radulov but we're desperate. We're taking our chances anyways but if we could get a heads up on where to go and not look sketchy, we'd realy appreciate it. It will likely be the only game we go see for the next year and wanna make it a good one.

Any ATL fans going up that have lowebowl seats, if you feel like theres a chance you'll have 2 empty seats near ya, send me a pm asap to exchange numbers and we can get in touch on SAT. I'd happily get ya some food or a lil extra gas money for the trip back if you hook it up.

Last edited by ATLhockey437: 03-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.
ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Got tickets to the game, Ill be rocking a thrashers practice jersey in 309. If there are any STH's on here that know of good lowerbowl sections that me and my buddy could stay in after warmups, please let me know. I imagine it will be packed now b/c of Radulov but we're desperate. We're taking our chances anyways but if we could get a heads up on where to go and not look sketchy, we'd realy appreciate it. It will likely be the only game we go see for the next year and wanna make it a good one.

Any ATL fans going up that have lowebowl seats, if you feel like theres a chance you'll have 2 empty seats near ya, send me a pm asap to exchange numbers and we can get in touch on SAT. I'd happily get ya some food or a lil extra gas money for the trip back if you hook it up.
I'll be very surprised if there are any empty seats.

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
It'll be emotional for us I'm sure seeing Thrashers Jerseys. When they left, many a tear was shed in our house of 3 female Thrashers fans and yours truly.

GO PREDS
Same here- it is going to be an emotional night for sure, but like you, we are 100% behind the Predators- can't wait

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
I don't see how you could be considering the flat out abuse Atlanta has taken from Winnipeggers,other Canadians and fans of northern U.S. NHL teams and members of the media. My attention turned to the Gladiators(they're local) and the Preds(much closer than WPG).
There were some kids that were horribly abusive and nasty last spring, but almost any Winnipeg fan old enough to remember losing the original Jets is pretty gracious. The 'Peg fans here are great folks with the usual peppering of not-so-great folks found in any large group. My son is already aggravated with me for warning him that I will be cheering for both teams (especially if the Jets lose on Friday). I was actually pulling for the Rangers last night, which is abnormal for me, because I really want the Preds to go into the playoffs with home ice advantage.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Sunshine36616

What did Byfuglien say that was bad? Everything I read from him after the move was pretty complimentary. He liked living here.

I'm trying to find a clever way to make a sign that says "Eat a bag of **** Andrew Ladd" that they will actually let me in the door with lol.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
There were some kids that were horribly abusive and nasty last spring, but almost any Winnipeg fan old enough to remember losing the original Jets is pretty gracious. The 'Peg fans here are great folks with the usual peppering of not-so-great folks found in any large group. My son is already aggravated with me for warning him that I will be cheering for both teams (especially if the Jets lose on Friday). I was actually pulling for the Rangers last night, which is abnormal for me, because I really want the Preds to go into the playoffs with home ice advantage.
I hope you get to some Gladiators playoff games. I mean it is the only professional hockey left in Atlanta so might as well right? At this point I think i'm a bigger Glads fan than I am a Preds fan just because I get the opportunity to see the Glads more live since they're not that far away.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Sunshine36616

I haven't been to any Glads games this season I used to go to several a season, but I moved to Woodstock and it's a haul. I missed Pink in the Rink for the first time in like 3 years. Maybe I can get to some playoff games. ECHL is what got me into hockey to begin with.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I haven't been to any Glads games this season I used to go to several a season, but I moved to Woodstock and it's a haul. I missed Pink in the Rink for the first time in like 3 years. Maybe I can get to some playoff games. ECHL is what got me into hockey to begin with.
It would be nice to pack the arena full for any playoff games they have.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
I hope you get to some Gladiators playoff games. I mean it is the only professional hockey left in Atlanta so might as well right? At this point I think i'm a bigger Glads fan than I am a Preds fan just because I get the opportunity to see the Glads more live since they're not that far away.
I was at the next to the last Glads home game last Friday. I went to the Kelly Cup Finals when the Aces won the series in 2005. If they end up facing off in the finals again this season, I may have to go.

Truthfully though it's a little tough for me to follow the Glads game to game. The players change a lot and I can't keep up. I miss Vigilante and Schell! I also just don't get as excited as I don't feel invested in the team.

I've seen plenty of local hockey manning the penalty box at all of my son's high school games this season though, and let me tell you, those games were the most intense games I've ever been to! Here's a peak:

Old
03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
I was at the next to the last Glads home game last Friday. I went to the Kelly Cup Finals when the Aces won the series in 2005. If they end up facing off in the finals again this season, I may have to go.

Truthfully though it's a little tough for me to follow the Glads game to game. The players change a lot and I can't keep up. I miss Vigilante and Schell! I also just don't get as excited as I don't feel invested in the team.

I've seen plenty of local hockey manning the penalty box at all of my son's high school games this season though, and let me tell you, those games were the most intense games I've ever been to! Here's a peak:

That's pretty cool. Did your son's team win the state championship? I've been saying this for a little while but if Atlanta ever wants another shot at the NHL we have to support any minor league team we have. I was never a huge Glads fan while the Thrashers were here but I did manage to see a few games but, once we lost our NHL team I decided that I would go and see as many games as I could up in Gwinnett. Transitioning from the NHL down to "AA" hockey is probably tough for alot of people but the Glads are a solid team and the organization actually cares about the fans. It woud be kind of ironic if Gwinnett wound up winning the Kelly Cup the first season the Thrashers re-located.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:14 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
That's pretty cool. Did your son's team win the state championship? I've been saying this for a little while but if Atlanta ever wants another shot at the NHL we have to support any minor league team we have. I was never a huge Glads fan while the Thrashers were here but I did manage to see a few games but, once we lost our NHL team I decided that I would go and see as many games as I could up in Gwinnett. Transitioning from the NHL down to "AA" hockey is probably tough for alot of people but the Glads are a solid team and the organization actually cares about the fans. It woud be kind of ironic if Gwinnett wound up winning the Kelly Cup the first season the Thrashers re-located.
Yeah, Brookwood, won the GSHL (Georgia Student Hockey League) final. The state championship rings are ordered!
I can't imagine the NHL coming back to town for 30 years or more and who knows how the league will even look at that point. I agree with supporting local hockey, I just find that I have almost no emotional stake in Gladiators games and I'm not prone to manufacture enthusiasm. Still, any hockey playoffs get pretty exciting, and my son wants to go, so I'm sure I'll catch a few Glads playoff games.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
What did Byfuglien say that was bad? Everything I read from him after the move was pretty complimentary. He liked living here.
At last years draft (the one where he was wearing the XXXXXL white tee shirt and you can still see his moobs), he was being interviewed and had no problem bashing Atlanta's low attendance and fanbase and was hyping up heading to Winnipeg. I have no problem being excited to play in the Peg, but it was the shots taken at the city which just lost its team just over a month earlier that pisses me off.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Yeah, Brookwood, won the GSHL (Georgia Student Hockey League) final. The state championship rings are ordered!
I can't imagine the NHL coming back to town for 30 years or more and who knows how the league will even look at that point. I agree with supporting local hockey, I just find that I have almost no emotional stake in Gladiators games and I'm not prone to manufacture enthusiasm. Still, any hockey playoffs get pretty exciting, and my son wants to go, so I'm sure I'll catch a few Glads playoff games.
Not saying the NHL would be back anytime soon but, strong support for the Glads might bring in an AHL team that either takes over the Gladiators name out of Gwinnett or plays down in Philips if the ASG is gone. Then again maybe Atlanta is destined to be a minor league hockey town which i'd be okay with that.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Not saying the NHL would be back anytime soon but, strong support for the Glads might bring in an AHL team that either takes over the Gladiators name out of Gwinnett or plays down in Philips if the ASG is gone. Then again maybe Atlanta is destined to be a minor league hockey town which i'd be okay with that.

As would I. Did you ever go see the Knights? Fun, cheap, and they won more games than they lost. I'm done supporting the NHL in Atlanta. If they somehow get another NHL team(anything can happen)I'll go when somebody gives me a ticket.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
As would I. Did you ever go see the Knights? Fun, cheap, and they won more games than they lost. I'm done supporting the NHL in Atlanta. If they somehow get another NHL team(anything can happen)I'll go when somebody gives me a ticket.
I went to many Knights games with my dad when I was growing up. I think I even managed to see 1 playoff game each round the year they won the Turner Cup.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
At last years draft (the one where he was wearing the XXXXXL white tee shirt and you can still see his moobs), he was being interviewed and had no problem bashing Atlanta's low attendance and fanbase and was hyping up heading to Winnipeg. I have no problem being excited to play in the Peg, but it was the shots taken at the city which just lost its team just over a month earlier that pisses me off.
I don't really have too much problem with that interview. He said he was excited to go (blah blah usual stuff). He said the guys would see the difference in playing in front of a sold out crowd and and an empty building. Coming from Chicago, he knows what it's like to play in front of an exciting crowd. I didn't take it as a slam on the fans and I'm usually pretty sensitive about that. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as what Ladd said "there were nights when the building was empty and we wished we weren't there."

Old
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
I don't really have too much problem with that interview. He said he was excited to go (blah blah usual stuff). He said the guys would see the difference in playing in front of a sold out crowd and and an empty building. Coming from Chicago, he knows what it's like to play in front of an exciting crowd. I didn't take it as a slam on the fans and I'm usually pretty sensitive about that. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as what Ladd said "there were nights when the building was empty and we wished we weren't there."
Ladd and Buff were new guys so I don't think they knew what Philips Arena was capable of looking like the way Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa, Savard and others did.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Then again maybe Atlanta is destined to be a minor league hockey town which i'd be okay with that.
Sorry, I'm NOT OK with that, and I'll NEVER be OK with that.

I want to have a chance to see the best players in the greatest sport on earth without having to drive at least 4 hours to do so.

I want to have a team in my hometown have a chance to compete for one of the most storied trophies in all of sports.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I don't know...I just got the feeling that Buff was just as excited to play up the "empty building" as he was to hype up playing in Winnipeg. And it wasn't two months after the news broke. I just think there's a much better way to handle it than saying he's excited to not play in an "empty building". I would be happier in front of sold out crowds too, but I wouldn't broadcast it during one of the years biggest events while the news is very fresh. Maybe I'm too sensitve, but I am in no way a Buff fan.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post

I want to have a chance to see the best players in the greatest sport on earth without having to drive at least 4 hours to do so.

I want to have a team in my hometown have a chance to compete for one of the most storied trophies in all of sports.
I don't want to see the NHL back here as long as Bettman is running things. He sold us out for 60 million pieces of silver.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Bongo

On a more upbeat note some of you Atlanta folks might be interested in this:

http://www.facebook.com/events/368307273189720

Old
03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
On a more upbeat note some of you Atlanta folks might be interested in this:

http://www.facebook.com/events/368307273189720
Looks AWESOME, but it's during game time.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post

I understand that but we have to be realistic. The odds of the NHL expanding beyond even 30 teams doesn't seem very likely and even if they did ATL would not be one of the front runners. We also have to realize that Atlanta has had 2 cracks at the NHL and both times the end result was the team packing up and heading north of the border. Minor league hockey has had some success in the Atlanta area, the Atlanta Knights drew very well in the few seasons they were here and won the Turner Cup and the Gwinnett Gladiators have always been in the top 5 in attendance and have made the playoffs in 7 out of 9 seasons and even managed to make it to the finals in 2006. I'm sure there are many cities that have supported minor league hockey for decades that would love a crack at the NHL(Milwaukee comes to mind) so the odds are certainly stacked against Atlanta getting a third try so I am just going to take whatever cards are dealt.