HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver police chief to Canuck fans: 'Don't come downtown'

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Last time I checked, we have freedom of movement in this country.
No ****. You can bet your ass I'll be downtown for every big game this year, I'd love to see the police try to control this somehow.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
wholesickcrew

Oh look, more mass generalizations on HF. Yep, the riot was all Surrey's fault. And Canucks fans are all tinfoil hat-wearing whiners.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Oh look, more mass generalizations on HF. Yep, the riot was all Surrey's fault. And Canucks fans are all tinfoil hat-wearing whiners.
I'd also like to point out that there were no problems on Scott and 72, or in Whalley after game 7.

03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Thanks for the post. I still don't see the blame surrey mentality some people here have. There's stupid people everywhere. Some more than others.
Would not blame them if they torched their own town. When people travel to your town and riot it makes you sensitive.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
billvanseattle

The bloody riot was so predictable.

IIRC, wasn't the issue that the city wanted the province to pay for additional enforcement, and the province told the city it was their own responsibility.

Personally, I think they should have split it, but kinda after the fact.

For this years riot, I think they should make damn sure they have a better presence, and delcare it illegal to cover your face downtown for a 3 hour period. Have police with beanbag guns, tell people if they try to cover their face they will be shot with bean bags, and arrested.

I really hope some of the scum that were arrested get hit with massive fines that they can't afford (being from that they were from Surrey and all).

Old
03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
silvercanuck

The Police were totally out of touch and incompetent. Any one that was listening knew there was going to be trouble after game seven. People were openly talking about it. Some even printed up T-shirts saying "here for the riot". Young people went downtown expecting to riot and that's exactly what happened.

This year should be different

A. I don't think the Canucks are going to win more than one round.

B. People got this out of their system.

C. The Police are actually expecting trouble this time.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:04 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
The bloody riot was so predictable.

IIRC, wasn't the issue that the city wanted the province to pay for additional enforcement, and the province told the city it was their own responsibility.

Personally, I think they should have split it, but kinda after the fact.

For this years riot, I think they should make damn sure they have a better presence, and delcare it illegal to cover your face downtown for a 3 hour period. Have police with beanbag guns, tell people if they try to cover their face they will be shot with bean bags, and arrested.

I really hope some of the scum that were arrested get hit with massive fines that they can't afford (being from that they were from Surrey and all).
Yep. You'd have to be an idiot to not see it coming. Which makes it so much more embarrassing.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:26 PM
CanucksBen

This sucks, it was really fun in the street of Vancouver (pre riot), its sucks some idiots ruined it

Old
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Riots were very much premeditated. When I was getting on the skytrain to leave before the **** storm occured, besides being called a bandwagoner, I overheard people saying they were going to "join the riots"

Old
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
dc

I can't picture any big screen companies or owners wanting to put their screens downtown after the damage that was done last summer.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
yeah, like people aren't gunna go downtown.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Would not blame them if they torched their own town. When people travel to your town and riot it makes you sensitive.
I understand, but if you blame Surrey, you blame all of B.C., as I wouldn't be surprised to see Vancouver, Burnaby, and other cities just as much to blame for.

I'm not going to drop names, but I knew A LOT of people that were joining in the mob mentality. And they all split between Surrey, Van, Burnaby, and etc.

I guess I'm just taking this harder than most cause a girl I'm interested in is from Surrey.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
I can't picture any big screen companies or owners wanting to put their screens downtown after the damage that was done last summer.
Definitely can see this, I think they'll have it up until we get to the finals. I think the security there will be up the ass at the time and the only places offering the game will be the restaurant, bars, etc.

Will be depressing if there's absolutely nothing to offer. The only time I went in DT was for game 5 and game 7. Game 6 I bought tickets to the viewing, sigh.

But the two times I did go were absolutely thrilling.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I'd also like to point out that there were no problems on Scott and 72, or in Whalley after game 7.
There were no problems because all the troublemakers from those parts went downtown.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

There are a few too many (offensive) sweeping generalizations flying around this thread. Shutting this down for the time being. If the topic is allowed to be carried on in the future, please remember that unsubstantiated generalizations (e.g. - "the riot was all Surrey's fault") are not acceptable and will be punished per the site rules.

Thank you.

Closed.

Closed Thread