HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rick Dudley making me feel better about our future

Old
03-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Dio666

vCash: 500
Rick Dudley making me feel better about our future

Something positive to talk about. Rick was interviewed this morning on the Fan590. Had some good things to say about the Leafs future (next year) and players.

True or not. It does make me feel better considering this disgusting free fall we've experienced.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...23_102156_7640

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Can someone post a recap for those at work.

Thanks.

03-23-2012, 10:14 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
- Talked about emergency call ups and what you're looking to do when you're using them. Saying that they had forward injuries so they called up forwards.
- Talked about Gardiner joining the Marlies, hasn't been part of the discussion, up to Brian, but they made him available to get him more playing experience, not exactly sure when he'll go down though.
- Talked about changing coaches and the stuff former coaches do wrong. Dudley said Wilson is a bright guy, good coach, friend of his, won't say anything bad about him. He knows Randy is a great coach, watched them play many, many times, and they play with some toughness that you need. He doesn't go down into the room so he didn't know what was going on between the players and the coach.
- Randy can help most players. He can help mature them and he's done it before. He's very demanding and it'll be tough at times. A lot of our young players will grow under that (talking mostly about Luke Schenn)
- We have several pieces that can be major parts to a very good team. He's been through this. Talked about being in Tampa and how fans thought they'd never win and then they won the Cup, said the same thing about Chicago and how they wanted Tallon's head but then they won the Cup. He said they will have a big page turn and that this team becomes an elite team.
- The guy at the top has a plan and he's going to execute that. And this is what gives him hope for this team to become elite. Brian will not be swayed and that he has the right mind frame to stick to his plan and that no matter what people say he will continue to stick to his plan and this team will be elite. Giving the team a chance to mature together and that this will help them as well. These guys are still really young and they will end up be good NHL players and the core is still very young. (Mentioned Lupul, Kessel and how Gardiner, Kadri are still growing)
- Said he doesn't want to have multiple players that by the time Jake Gardiner is the player he's going to be, that they aren't going to be able to contribute. Meaning the core guys aren't too old to play with him. (Says Phaneuf is still really young, mentions Colborne saying he'll be a #2, Gardiner will be a #2 d man, Kadri will be a very very good NHL hockey player, Blacker has enormous talent, a defenseman everyone looks for right now in the NHL) Said these pieces will develop into big players. Said the players we have now (Grabovski, Phil, Dion, etc.) will still be at a good age for us to not worry as our youngsters develop.
- Gardiner is instinctive, his hockey sense surprises him the most, good under pressure, said the stuff he does at his age is a big plus.

Basically wrote down every question he answered. Sorry if stuff doesn't make sense. I listened and typed at the same time here.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
leafsfuture

He called Kadri "inordinately talented". Based on what I keep hearing, there is no doubt this team still believed kadri can be a great NHler

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
He called Kadri "inordinately talented". Based on what I keep hearing, there is no doubt this team still believed kadri can be a great NHler
He flat out said Kadri will be a very, very good NHLer. There's no way this team has lost confidence in him, at all.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i hope so

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:28 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
-

Basically wrote down every question he answered. Sorry if stuff doesn't make sense. I listened and typed at the same time here.
Thanks for the re-cap. Its about time we started talking positive again.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:30 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
That interview was refreshing. Bout time it wasn't pure negatives being discussed.

Dudley seems high on Colborne.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Kadri next year will surprise a lot and I can't wait.

03-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Dirtydion has done a great job with the recap for sure.

Love the fact he shows that the organization isn't down on kadri and is high on gardiner and blacker.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Thanks for the re-cap. Its about time we started talking positive again.
No problem.

He seems really high on Gardiner, Kadri, Colborne. And really seems like the guys higher up have Lupul, Grabovski, Kessel as our core. Really sounds like they see this team having growing pains and just waiting for everyone to develop and come together and that Burke really does have a plan for the off-season.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
ThreeHundred

What do you want him to say? They all suck?

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
- Talked about emergency call ups and what you're looking to do when you're using them. Saying that they had forward injuries so they called up forwards.
- Talked about Gardiner joining the Marlies, hasn't been part of the discussion, up to Brian, but they made him available to get him more playing experience, not exactly sure when he'll go down though.
- Talked about changing coaches and the stuff former coaches do wrong. Dudley said Wilson is a bright guy, good coach, friend of his, won't say anything bad about him. He knows Randy is a great coach, watched them play many, many times, and they play with some toughness that you need. He doesn't go down into the room so he didn't know what was going on between the players and the coach.
- Randy can help most players. He can help mature them and he's done it before. He's very demanding and it'll be tough at times. A lot of our young players will grow under that (talking mostly about Luke Schenn)
- We have several pieces that can be major parts to a very good team. He's been through this. Talked about being in Tampa and how fans thought they'd never win and then they won the Cup, said the same thing about Chicago and how they wanted Tallon's head but then they won the Cup. He said they will have a big page turn and that this team becomes an elite team.
- The guy at the top has a plan and he's going to execute that. And this is what gives him hope for this team to become elite. Brian will not be swayed and that he has the right mind frame to stick to his plan and that no matter what people say he will continue to stick to his plan and this team will be elite. Giving the team a chance to mature together and that this will help them as well. These guys are still really young and they will end up be good NHL players and the core is still very young. (Mentioned Lupul, Kessel and how Gardiner, Kadri are still growing)
- Said he doesn't want to have multiple players that by the time Jake Gardiner is the player he's going to be, that they aren't going to be able to contribute. Meaning the core guys aren't too old to play with him. (Says Phaneuf is still really young, mentions Colborne saying he'll be a #2, Gardiner will be a #2 d man, Kadri will be a very very good NHL hockey player, Blacker has enormous talent, a defenseman everyone looks for right now in the NHL) Said these pieces will develop into big players. Said the players we have now (Grabovski, Phil, Dion, etc.) will still be at a good age for us to not worry as our youngsters develop.
- Gardiner is instinctive, his hockey sense surprises him the most, good under pressure, said the stuff he does at his age is a big plus.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
CellarDweller0

great recap. thanks a bunch!

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
when your mind is negative, it clouds people thoughts and judgement.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
No, we leave that up to people like yourself.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Ive said this all along. However when it comes from a manager of a team coming off of a collapse your going to hear things like this. Just means they are gearing us up for next season and to stop worrying about this one.

I watch kadri puck handle and there is probably 5-10 players in the league that are as skilled as him. Kid has incredible tools just needs to complete his game. I cant wait to have some young guns running this team next year. Kids who have desire and heart. honestly get rid of soft MaCarthur, get rid of emotionless kulemin, get rid of to slow to keep up armstrong, get rid of tae kwon-do artist connolly and bring in veteran leadership and our rooks.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I always enjoy Dudley and Poulin's interviews.

Thanks for posting.

03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Tapcondition

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
That interview was refreshing. Bout time it wasn't pure negatives being discussed.

Dudley seems high on Colborne.
It helps that Blair isn't really into hockey, so he doesn't carry the pessimism that the beat reporters tend to have. He just let Dudley speak.

Tapcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

**EDIT: Saw that Dirty Dion beat me to it, not sure if I have anything more...**

Wasn't that much to it.

- Talked about the emergency call-ups, whether it was done for a legit emergency or just to get the guys (Hamilton and Kadri) time with the big team, id est was it a forward injured or was it a defender. Duds was asked if it needed to be position for position or if you could call-up a defender for a forward. Duds said he didn't think you would want to do that.

- Was asked about Ron Wilson allegedly having a disconnect between himself and Luke Schenn, which may have been the reason for Luke's sturggles. Dudley said he didn't really have knowledge if that was the case but said RW was a good coach and a good friend and wished him well in his career.

- Talked about his experience in Tampa Bay and Chicago, how both organizations endured years of "We're never going to be a contender" attitude from fans and sometimes management, yet the GM in each case had a plan and stuck to it and they became legit contenders.

- Dudley feels the Leafs have a lot of pieces in place already, and that a jump to elite team isn't that far away. Said he thought that there could be a chance it happens next season. [IMO it was said as speculative and not starry-eyed homerism, more meant to indicate that the team doesn't have that much more to add to be a great team]

- Talked about the prospects in the system, specifically mentioned Colborne as a potential 1C or 2C big-bodied centre that a lot of teams will covet. Talked about Gardiner and his great hockey sense and danger sense, said Gardiner could eventually be a #1 or #2 defenceman.

- Was asked about how important prospects are in the cap world, since ELCs are so good at getting a young star under the cap. Dudley said that that was a small part of everything. He said that one of the good things about the Leafs is there is a smaller gap between the stars already on the team (Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf) and the prospects that are developing. Said that when Gardiner is ready to be the NHLer he will become, guys like Phaneuf and Kessel will still be there and the team will grow together.

*I think that's most of it, may've missed a few things...*

Last edited by indigobuffalo: 03-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:51 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
So you are calling him a liar?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

after hearing this i hope some leaf fans preech patience and stop making crap up about burke being "impatient" and trading the future for now. He wont do that and i believe there a good plan in place. Very happy he talked about Jesse Blacker i love this kid and he will be a good one.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Appreciate for typing it all out. Also, I hope as long as Burke remains Leafs GM, he sticks to whatever he had in mind rather than succumbing to media (who ultimately drive the fans).

I am taking this with caution though. I will only believe when I see a successful product on ice. If we are going to be elite team, we should be doing fine without Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf (just like Pens did). Not there yet by any means.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Appreciate for typing it all out. Also, I hope as long as Burke remains Leafs GM, he sticks to whatever he had in mind rather than succumbing to media (who ultimately drive the fans).

I am taking this with caution though. I will only believe when I see a successful product on ice. If we are going to be elite team, we should be doing fine without Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf (just like Pens did). Not there yet by any means.
This is something that Dudley mentioned. He said Burke had a plan and that he won't get swayed by the media, or the fans. He knows what he's going to do have to do to get this team to become elite and he's going to do it.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Very refreshing, and thanks for the recap.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote