HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
hockeymass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
there's a woman who plays in our (essentially) beginner league who not only wears a visor but wears it tipped back so it's not covering anything really. I'm 100% sure she does this because her boyfriend who's an experienced player does the same thing. it's only a matter of time before she gets a puck or stick in the eye. I don't wish injury on anyone but I hope I'm there to say a big "told ya so!" when it does happen.
I don't understand why a woman wouldn't wear a cage or fishbowl. My face would probably benefit from a good scar.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:44 AM
noobman

Unless someone wants to start paying me 500k+ a year to play hockey I'm keeping my cage on.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Merged with the big thread. Carry on!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
WTF, where did I come up with the car accident thing?
dany heatley was in a car accident...but that's not how he injured his eye.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Unless someone wants to start paying me 500k+ a year to play hockey I'm keeping my cage on.
Why would getting paid $500K make you take your cage off? An injury to the face is an injury to the face regardless if you are playing for a can of beer or a million dollars.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Why would getting paid $500K make you take your cage off? An injury to the face is an injury to the face regardless if you are playing for a can of beer or a million dollars.
I think he means because then he'd be playing in the NHL and you can't wear cages in the NHL unless you have an injury.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Mostly hyperbole. As in, unless you're playing in the NHL, where you can't wear cages, you wear the cage.

Tellin ya guys...don't knock unless you've tried the $60 Bauer cage. Like nothing there.

On the topic of picking gear for looks, the girl on my team knows tons of D1 women's players who wear low end pants or take out padding to make their butts look smaller. My Tacklas + my childbeaing hips make me look ridiculous, but I haven't bruised my backside in years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
hyster110

i hate wearing a cage and only wear on when i have to by league rules. i have played hockey for over 4 years with a visor and havent any major incident with getting hit in the face.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I think he means because then he'd be playing in the NHL and you can't wear cages in the NHL unless you have an injury.
I had no idea there is such a rule? Hard to believe in a day and age when they are trying to make the game "safer" that there would be a rule that would prohibit a player from wearing a cage.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
I had no idea there is such a rule? Hard to believe in a day and age when they are trying to make the game "safer" that there would be a rule that would prohibit a player from wearing a cage.
Think of it this way. If only some players are wearing cages, it's going to be an absolute disaster when a player without a cage gets hit face-to-face by a player with a cage.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Maybe because if you're playing for real money, playing to your absolute best matters? Anybody will play better without a cage on. Safer, no. Better, yes. Nobody wears a cage because it makes them a better player.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
On the topic of picking gear for looks, the girl on my team knows tons of D1 women's players who wear low end pants or take out padding to make their butts look smaller. My Tacklas + my childbeaing hips make me look ridiculous, but I haven't bruised my backside in years.
Yeah, my very comfortable, broken in Tacklas are totally worn out and all the padding is compressed at this point. I fell hard a week ago in a spot with little padding and got the worst bruise on my ass/hammy of my life. Had a new pair hanging in the garage just waiting for me to start wearing, but wasn't ready to don the bulky, stiff new pants in a game. What a mistake.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I don't understand why a woman wouldn't wear a cage or fishbowl. My face would probably benefit from a good scar.
I don't know what the rule is in Canada but in the IIHF rules women have to wear a cage or fishbowl unless they were born before December 31st 1974, in which case they can wear a half visor.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
9.6 Dangerous Equipment - The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply to the Refereesí instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.
A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury.
In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor. If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
SMR
Rookie User

I wear a cage. Dental work is expensive and painful.

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
OkimLom

Roller-Visor, took a puck to the forehead with no visor. Decided it was time...

Ice- Fishbowl. For safety reasons.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Roller-Visor, took a puck to the forehead with no visor. Decided it was time...

Ice- Fishbowl. For safety reasons.
sounds like you play both roller and ice. would you say the puck hurts less in roller?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:04 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
9.6 Dangerous Equipment - The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply to the Refereesí instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.
A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury.
In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor. If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner.
Thanks for posting that. I had no idea.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I had no idea.
The NHL rules are just a google search and a click away. The website is very good, easy to find what you're looking for with drop-down bar subheadings.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
sounds like you play both roller and ice. would you say the puck hurts less in roller?
Definitely. I've taken roller pucks to my forehead and the throat while playing outside with them, and I just sucked it up and carried on playing. With ice pucks it can hit the padding on my shorts and still hurt, it even hurts my hand when making a glove save sometimes, and that's with a pro glove. It really depends where it hits you though, if someone hits a roller puck hard enough with spin on it, it can leave a pretty nasty cut if it hits bare skin

Old
03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Roller pucks are a good bit lighter.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
noobman

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

See rule 9.6.

Think about it... if someone wearing a metal cage goes face first into someone wearing nothing, what do you think is going to happen to the guy wearing nothing?

The only way full facial protection works is if it's mandated across the league. It could potentially come in if the league decides that half-visors are required at a minimum, but even then I think it would be many years before we saw a player don a cage at the NHL level.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

See rule 9.6.

Think about it... if someone wearing a metal cage goes face first into someone wearing nothing, what do you think is going to happen to the guy wearing nothing?
To be honest I'm thinking about it from the perspective of the player wearing it wanting to protect his face. My concern isn't about players not wearing it.

That said I'm just a goalie, so not wearing anything to cover my face doesn't make any sense to me.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:36 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
To be honest I'm thinking about it from the perspective of the player wearing it wanting to protect his face. My concern isn't about players not wearing it.

That said I'm just a goalie, so not wearing anything to cover my face doesn't make any sense to me.
Well, the number of times an average skater gets tagged in the face area during a game is pretty low, unless he's playing with a bunch of plugs that can't keep their sticks down. The problem is that, as with the Berard example, freak accidents can happen, and they can be real bad.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:02 PM
pelts35.com

The odds are irrelevant when it happens to you. At that point all that matters is the one, just ask Berard or pronger or laperierre.