HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Everyone was eccstatic over the pick.
If you are bored at work like I am,

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ad.php?t=86756

I thought Korpikoski was going to be the guy we picked. Didn't really want Chipchura but became a fan of his when he was in Hamilton.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Well, Fischer lost his mom and had a serious illness that made him lose a lot of weight in his first 2 years of college iirc.

Not that it's an excuse IMO, his senior season was absolutely dreadful. Looks like he'll make the AHL this season, so he might turn into a 7th D/AHLer.
that's why I alluded to developpment. But the bottom line is the Chipchura pick is much less of a "fail" than the Fisher pick was. And it can be argued that Fisher was Timmins' biggest error. But without the 20/20 hindsight. at the time these picks were seen as "safer" picks, even though Fisher was playing in a HS league (which does make it harder to project)

Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
his skating was drastically different after the injury and not very good. His physicality was lessened after the injury also.

But my bottom line point I was trying to get at was that it wasn't a terrible "bust" pick or that Timmins' screwed up. He was a solid pick that, without the injury, could have netted us a very solid 2nd/3rd line player.

If you want to point to a massive error in judgement (if you can call it that) it would be the David Fisher pick. Not one where a player had a massive injury or one that was under devellopped.
The Fischer pick was a disaster and this board collectively puked when his name was called. Fischer was the joke of HFBoards leading up to the draft and to hear our team call his name was flat out embarrassing.

That being said, it has been well documented that Giroux was Timmins' guy and the Minnesota scout talked him and Gainey into making the pick. Following that draft, Timmins was given autonomy in making the picks.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The Fischer pick was a disaster and this board collectively puked when his name was called. Fischer was the joke of HFBoards leading up to the draft and to hear our team call his name was flat out embarrassing.

That being said, it has been well documented that Giroux was Timmins' guy and the Minnesota scout talked him and Gainey into making the pick. Following that draft, Timmins was given autonomy in making the picks.
well, I was trying to be more PC in my response but ya, I was not happy at all when he was chosen. I was hoping for Berglund myself.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't think Giroux was Timmins' pick.

All I heard after the draft was Timmins saying how Carle ate Giroux up in the skating drills during our own combine.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

All I heard after the draft was Timmins saying how Carle ate Giroux up in the skating drills during our own combine.
He was simply complimenting Carle's skating by using a great skater like Giroux as an example.

If I am not mistaken I believe Grant McKagg even stated that giroux was Timmins' guy. I have heard this numerous times but don't have a link.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
He was simply complimenting Carle's skating by using a great skater like Giroux as an example.

If I am not mistaken I believe Grant McKagg even stated that giroux was Timmins' guy. I have heard this numerous times but don't have a link.
just about anyone picked after him in the 1st or 2nd rounds would have been a better choice. This is why picking a high school kid is tough and scouts really need to do their homework when they do, because it can really blow up in your face.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Regardless, it seems Pat Westrom was the guy massively pitching Fischer since he knew him well before the draft.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
And those are the mistakes that set your franchise back..

Old
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Regardless, it seems Pat Westrom was the guy massively pitching Fischer since he knew him well before the draft.
He doesn't work for the Habs anymore I hope?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I believe he still does. He might've whiffed on Fischer, but he probably had something to do with the McD pick.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
He may be a valuable asset.......it is just as important to know who not to pick as it is to know who is the right pick. Simply get him to submit a list and the label all of his picks as ND's

Old
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Morgan Rielly will return to the MJ Warriors for the first round of the WHL playoffs

Old
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
FF de Mars

I wasn't happy when we drafted Chipchura. I was working as a lifeguard that summer and I was cursing at the water for the whole day when I learned we drafted him. I remember he wasn't a concensus pick on HF as well. Many people didn't like the pick.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I believe he still does. He might've whiffed on Fischer, but he probably had something to do with the McD pick.
Are you telling me he is the one responsible for getting Gomez?!?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

Please provide a link.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Let's say we pass Edmonton for the 2nd overall and end up drafting there. Let's also say Yakupov goes 1st overall, who do you guys think we take? Because I have this vibe that Timmons won't take Grigorenko.
Gringo as his teammates call him is ranked #2 by McKenzie,ISS and by almost every list except Craig Buttons.Grigorenko is a cerebral player that controls the play and gives his teammates sweet passes or he can also unleash NHL quality shots.Dumba is the only player in the same category as Yakupov and Grigorenko,so if they pick someone other than Gringo it would be Dumba.I'm pretty sure Edmonton will want Dumba to run the PP for Nugent-Hopkins,Eberle,Hall and company,which leaves Gringo for the Habs.Timmins isn't the only person making the decisions at the draft and Galchenyuk plays on a team with Yakupov which makes his body of work a little bit suspect IMHO.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

I thought Korpikoski was going to be the guy we picked. Didn't really want Chipchura but became a fan of his when he was in Hamilton.
Really liked Beakermania and Marc the Habs Fan replies... at the time, I was thinking like Beaker, seems like Marc did know his stuff

Anyway, on to the draft, I really want us to get another 2nd rounder, too many interesting players could fall there. I wouldn't mind a D with our first pick, depending if Grigorenko-Forsberg-Galchenyuk are already picked, but damn Wilson and Matteau both could fall in the 2nd round (although I doubt it), there's Samuelsson there, Marcantuoni (love his skating, he's a rocket on skates, could he fall to 3rd ?!), Sissons, Bozon, Frk, Kerdiles...

And damn, why do they have to hold the draft a friday ?!?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

First page = fans being happy (or not) about the pick
Last page = language debate

Typical HF

Old
03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Gringo as his teammates call him is ranked #2 by McKenzie,ISS and by almost every list except Craig Buttons.Grigorenko is a cerebral player that controls the play and gives his teammates sweet passes or he can also unleash NHL quality shots.Dumba is the only player in the same category as Yakupov and Grigorenko,so if they pick someone other than Gringo it would be Dumba.I'm pretty sure Edmonton will want Dumba to run the PP for Nugent-Hopkins,Eberle,Hall and company,which leaves Gringo for the Habs.Timmins isn't the only person making the decisions at the draft and Galchenyuk plays on a team with Yakupov which makes his body of work a little bit suspect IMHO.
Actually......Timmins does make the decision on who to draft. It has been that way for a while.

Are you saying that it is an absolute that Grigorenko will be picked before all of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray, Trouba and Reilly.

You may be in for a shock.........on the plus side you can chalk it up to experience. As Grant McKagg said, "just because you can rank a guy as #2 doesn't mean you can pick him at #2"......or something like that.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
JAVO16

Quote:

Great skater is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Giroux. Maybe elusive skater or whatever but that comes more with a great hockey mind than with great skating ability. Looking at him play, it's obvious in my mind that he's not a great skater.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Actually......Timmins does make the decision on who to draft. It has been that way for a while.

Are you saying that it is an absolute that Grigorenko will be picked before all of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray, Trouba and Reilly.

You may be in for a shock.........on the plus side you can chalk it up to experience. As Grant McKagg said, "just because you can rank a guy as #2 doesn't mean you can pick him at #2"......or something like that.
I don't think anyone knows how it's going to go down, like every single year. I think the only time people here had a clue how it was likely to go down was when we picked Leblanc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Great skater is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Giroux. Maybe elusive skater or whatever but that comes more with a great hockey mind than with great skating ability. Looking at him play, it's obvious in my mind that he's not a great skater.
I don't think he was any worst a skater than Maxwell was. They both weren't burners, but had a certain shiftiness.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Really liked Beakermania and Marc the Habs Fan replies... at the time, I was thinking like Beaker, seems like Marc did know his stuff

Anyway, on to the draft, I really want us to get another 2nd rounder, too many interesting players could fall there. I wouldn't mind a D with our first pick, depending if Grigorenko-Forsberg-Galchenyuk are already picked, but damn Wilson and Matteau both could fall in the 2nd round (although I doubt it), there's Samuelsson there, Marcantuoni (love his skating, he's a rocket on skates, could he fall to 3rd ?!), Sissons, Bozon, Frk, Kerdiles...

And damn, why do they have to hold the draft a friday ?!?
Only the 1st round is on Friday.

The rest of the draft is on Saturday.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Okay people are falling in love with Forsberg because he is a big '?'. Wtf. When I read some of us would take him in front of Yakupov is sooooo retarded.

Yakupov has superstar skills. Nobody else in this draft has that.
I think what have people so excited about Forsberg is that he is being considered the top swedish forward prospect since Nicklas Backstrom by many in Sweden. Swedish top ten picks tend to hit and hit big time, and when a guy from that country comes along and is as highly thought of as Forsberg is he should be considered a top prospect.

That said Yakupov is the prize of this years draft, but I am a little concerned about him. The concussion bothers me, as does the fact he's not very big and plays an all out brand of hockey similar to Ovechkin, and then you look at the play where he got hurt (cutting across the middle with his head down going 100mph), and you gotta worry about his long term ability to stay healthy as a serious issue...

Old
03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Only the 1st round is on Friday.

The rest of the draft is on Saturday.
Yeah, I know, but most of the good stuff happens on the 1st round... oh well

Closed Thread