HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Sleight Of Hand
No More Coldplay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I'm expecting a discussion with substance that I'm clearly having here with quite a few Hawks fans. So I think I'll stay.
The difference is....if a Hawk fan went on a nuck board they would be infracted by the 2nd post.

And Keith won't get more than 5. He is called there to pacify AV/Vancouver Management and all the whining Canucks fans. If he gets the rest of the regular season it is still a rested keith before the playoffs. win/win!

Old
03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
I guess Shanahan is confused on words--PREDATORY/PRE-MEDITATED means an element of planned tracking down the "VICTIM" to deliver the blow.....EXACTLY wass SEDIN did to KEITH too! Therefore if PRE-MEDITATED/PREDATORY /HUNTING DOWN a VICTIM is the most important criteria for extra punishment--SHANAHAN ought to be FAIR and provide EQUAL JUSTICE...

Instead he seems to be VALUING "RETALIATORY PREDATORS" as "WORSE" than
ORIGINAL FIRST PREDATORS --this is 100% WRONG --nor as I have STATED is the CONSEQUENCES of the illegal hit to the head as dtermining EXTRA punishment right either...

SHANAHAN should instead be providing JUSTICE bades solely on the illegality of the head shots themselves ---CONSEQUENCES (survival to play on --or not--are the luck or lack of of the draw)...KEITH just as easily COULD have been concussed on Sedin's blow to his head---THAT and only that--THE ILLEGAL ACT --should be the focus of EQUAL PUNISHMENT --not using BAD LUCK or RETALIATION as the main focus od degree of "worseness" in comparing the 2 hits --BOTH were equally heinous--BOTH should get punished the SAME from equal 1st time offenders...TO make a special case against Keith solely on consequences and bad results AFTER the hit --is NEVER going to bring deterrence--guys will risk the chance that like sEDIN-they MAY get away with it IF they: i) do it first and not 2nd in sequence and ii) get lucky and their VICTIM survives to play on (albeit now intimidated into pussiness)...WE cannot afford Shanahan giving unequal punishments here-it wiljust lead to more confusions as similar events transpire... LET ME BE FIRST TO TRY IT-I MAY GET AWAY WITH IT!

(OK it will dtere retaliation-but it promotes 1st instigation head shots). THIS is the bad logic about making a far greater "example" out of Keith than the lightly punished
no harm /no foul SEDIN. YOU watch --making an example of retaliation wilnot stop head shot INSTIGATIONS!
Of course retaliatory head shots don't set a good example moving forward, but the case here is that Keith's head shot has overshadowed Sedin's here. I completely understand what you're saying. Does Daniel deserve a suspension just as much as Keith? Absolutely. In my opinion, Keith is expecting the hit from Daniel because quite frankly they rarely play the body in that sense, had Keith been expecting the hit, he's quite the elusive one. Just my thought though. I still think the hit was high, but because Keith was unprepared with that type of physical play it ended up being a head shot.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Cullksinikers

You know, losing Keith doesn't help the Hawks' hopes of being the 6th seed or the Canucks' hopes of getting out of the WCQF. Maybe we get that 7th seed. How does that sound, Canucks fans?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
StealthNuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
If Keith gets more then 5 games I question the league. 5 games for a first time offender is about as big as it comes and is deserved by Keith it was a reckless stupid play. However if he gets 5-7 games which is what Sutton got for doing a repeat offense in the same season then I start to thing the league has more then just a player safety agenda.
I think you are missing 1 big thing here.

The meeting was originally called to a phone hearing for a 1st time offender, aka maybe 3 games. After the fact a Ref or Linseman came forward and said " I heard Keith say he was gonna get Daniel".

Ok, now the phone call changes to a in person hearing because it was a "Bounty" hit if you will.

Being a first time offender has gone out the window because he said he was gonna do it.

Edit: As a Canucks fan i say 10 games, as a Hockey fan i say 6.. Therefor 8 seems just right.. All in all, we are all humans and Daniel Sedin most likely wont play the rest of the regular season and possibly further. Duncan Keith gets a rest and can be overly fresh for the playoffs.

So anything less than 8 games and the blackhawks are laughing all the way to the playoffs IMO.

Therefor Im thinking Duncan Keith gets 8 games.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Spice Trader

Long Time Canuck Fan here that hates but respects the hawks skill.

IMO if they gave D Sedin a 1 game suspension or a 5 min and a misconduct i wouldnt have been up in arms about it. If kieth isnt a dirty player then Sedin is a saint. I dont think sedin was intending to hit keith in the head but fact is he did. not a good hit and worth at minimum of a penalty or at most a game maybe 2.

The Problem with Keiths retalitation is its PURELY predatory. the puck is 10 feet over sedins head and keith delivers a boderline leaping elbow to Daniels head. This kind of hit has got to go.. period. Your missing toews we missing sedin crosby backstrom ect ect i wanna watch these guy play hockey not goons throw elbows.

I think keith will get a stiff penalty because
A such a nationaly watched game
B how bad it looks with regards to the predatory nature of it.

imo between 3-7 games.

D sedin has already missed 1 game due to injury if he missed 1-3 more what more do you want?

I can promise you as a van fan id 100 % rather not have sedin out or have kieth suspended. All it is doing is giving an easier 1st round to someone else doesnt help Van at all.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
There is revenge in everything in hockey. How many times does a guy who threw a bad hit get taken out later in a game. If your punishing revenge then Bieksa should get games for punching Keith in the face later in the game.
I agree that there is revenge in hockey for everything. Some of Burrows' tactics I don't agree with, but for a man who was complaining about hair pulling I expected him to stick up for himself at least once with any Canuck if they're all soft. Trust me as soon as it happened, the first thought that came to my head was this had the potential to turn Bertuzzi - Moore ugly. At the end of the day, the NHL does not need another black mark like that again.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post

IMO if they gave D Sedin a 1 game suspension or a 5 min and a misconduct i wouldnt have been up in arms about it. If kieth isnt a dirty player then Sedin is a saint. I dont think sedin was intending to hit keith in the head but fact is he did. not a good hit and worth at minimum of a penalty or at most a game maybe 2.

The Problem with Keiths retalitation is its PURELY predatory. the puck is 10 feet over sedins head and keith delivers a boderline leaping elbow to Daniels head. This kind of hit has got to go.. period. Your missing toews we missing sedin crosby backstrom ect ect i wanna watch these guy play hockey not goons throw elbows.

imo between 3-7 games.

D sedin has already missed 1 game due to injury if he missed 1-3 more what more do you want?

I can promise you as a van fan id 100 % rather not have sedin out or have kieth suspended. All it is doing is giving an easier 1st round to someone else doesnt help Van at all.
Well, that's kind of a wide range considring the face he could be out for less than 50% of our remaining regular season games or the rest of the regular season.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
You know, losing Keith doesn't help the Hawks' hopes of being the 6th seed or the Canucks' hopes of getting out of the WCQF. Maybe we get that 7th seed. How does that sound, Canucks fans?
I would like a 4th year in a row where we played the Hawks. As much as you hate the Canucks, it's been a great rivalry. Name one series that has had everything the playoffs are about?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Sarava

This thread is starting to spin out of control. Canuck fans need to go back to their own board to discuss this.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Sevanston

Haven't heard anything about a ref coming forward about hearing Keith said this or that.

Henrik said he heard Keith say something.

But Henrik, as Daniel's twin brother and teammate testifying against a bitter rival, is not exactly an objective witness.

Old
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthNuck View Post

The meeting was originally called to a phone hearing for a 1st time offender, aka maybe 3 games. After the fact a Ref or Linseman came forward and said " I heard Keith say he was gonna get Daniel".

Ok, now the phone call changes to a in person hearing because it was a "Bounty" hit if you will.
Is this fact or conjecture? Did a Ref really say that?

Old
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Quote:
I would like a 4th year in a row where we played the Hawks. As much as you hate the Canucks, it's been a great rivalry. Name one series that has had everything the playoffs are about?
I think the Hawks-Canucks series has been brutal the last few years. Just wonderful. It seems like the Canucks really get under every team's skin. Boston-Vancouver aren't big fans of one another this season, either.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthNuck View Post

Being a first time offender has gone out the window because he said he was gonna do it.

Edit: As a Canucks fan i say 10 games, as a Hockey fan i say 6.. Therefor 8 seems just right.. All in all, we are all humans and Daniel Sedin most likely wont play the rest of the regular season and possibly further. Duncan Keith gets a rest and can be overly fresh for the playoffs.

So anything less than 8 games and the blackhawks are laughing all the way to the playoffs IMO.

Therefor Im thinking Duncan Keith gets 8 games.
Again Keith isn't the first person to say and do something like this, people are making a huge deal out of this but this stuff is said all the time and many times acted upon.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I know Keith waived the in person meeting...but what's really the point in having one? It seems like a waste of time to fly to New York to talk things over with Shanny...

Old
03-23-2012, 12:37 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
I think he gets the rest of the regular season plus the 1st 2 playoff games. Let's be real hear, he basically tried to decapitate Sedin.

Don’t be ridiculous. Being a first time offender, I think he gets 2 – 5 games.

As for the hit itself. Yes, it was a bad one. No question of that but lets look back shall we. Last season we had that brutal head shot on Seabrook that seemed to start off a flurry of head shots by the Canuck team on Blackhawks. There were at least a half dozen more in that series and the Hawk players did not retaliate.

This season the trend continued and the cheap shots kept coming. I think Keith had finally had enough when, of all players, none other than Daniel Sedin gives him an obvious head shot earlier in the same game. And of course, no penalty on the play that easily could have caused a concussion to Keith. Keith’s retaliatory head shot 7 minutes later shouldn’t be condoned by any means, but I certainly understand how it could have happened. It is no coincidence that Canucks are hated around the league for this type of crap, not to mention the girly diving and whining etc....

If Keith deserves any kind of suspension (and I think he does) Sedin should also get at least 1 game as well. Chances are very good that without Sedin’s cheap shot that went uncalled, the hit against the twinkie would not have happened. I also perdict that if a Canuck player does it again, Hawks will not turn the other cheek like they have done in the past. Keith is a mild mannered player and I think it is quite ironic that he he is the one who has essentially stated to all Canuck players, that enough is enough!

Old
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post

imo between 3-7 games.

I thought Sedin, having DK in a vulnerable position (shoulder coming up under chin), finished the check when he didn't have to and it was a head shot. He should have got 2 and if he had maybe that would have ended it.

That said, DK had a lot of ways to get back at him (clean hit, lumber, whatever) but played it stupid and there is no denying what he did.

I think DK is going to get hit hard (it just seems to have that feel) and if he does he can't complain. He chose to play it dumb and now he has to accept the consequences.

I hate everything Canuck, but do hope Sedin is okay and back soon.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
stingo

Quote:
I say 5 - 6. We should really make it a game and start a pool.
Why don't you go on your own board and make a poll?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Sleight Of Hand
No More Coldplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Don’t be ridiculous. Being a first time offender, I think he gets 2 – 5 games.

As for the hit itself. Yes, it was a bad one. No question of that but lets look back shall we. Last season we had that brutal head shot on Seabrook that seemed to start off a flurry of head shots by the Canuck team on Blackhawks. There were at least a half dozen more in that series and the Hawk players did not retaliate.

This season the trend continued and the cheap shots kept coming. I think Keith had finally had enough when, of all players, none other than Daniel Sedin gives him an obvious head shot earlier in the same game. And of course, no penalty on the play that easily could have caused a concussion to Keith. Keith’s retaliatory head shot 7 minutes later shouldn’t be condoned by any means, but I certainly understand how it could have happened. It is no coincidence that Canucks are hated around the league for this type of crap, not to mention the girly diving and whining etc....

If Keith deserves any kind of suspension (and I think he does) Sedin should also get at least 1 game as well. Chances are very good that without Sedin’s cheap shot that went uncalled, the hit against the twinkie would not have happened. I also perdict that if a Canuck player does it again, Hawks will not turn the other cheek like they have done in the past. Keith is a mild mannered player and I think it is quite ironic that he he is the one who has essentially stated to all Canuck players, that enough is enough!
This ....100%

Also, the above Vancouver fan must not have read the Moderators note above. Which is go to your own boards. He asked nice.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
stingo

It was the same hit Doan laid out on Benn the previous night, the only difference is, is that Benn isn't soft, and Dallas didn't purposely sit out Benn in order to force the league to hand out a bigger suspension.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I think the Hawks-Canucks series has been brutal the last few years. Just wonderful. It seems like the Canucks really get under every team's skin. Boston-Vancouver aren't big fans of one another this season, either.
If anything, the other teams get under the Nucks skin.

VAN traded CoHo because of the Bs
VAN goes headhunting the Hawks best players (Bolland, Seabs, Keith & Toews) to make sure they miss some games against them

Old
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Sarava

Thanks to all the non Hawk fans for leaving voluntarily.

If anyone wants to discuss this with opposing team's fans, they should probably go to the NHL talk forum.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
stingo

Funny that Canuck fans are saying Keith hid behind refs all night. What does Lapierre do, every single game?

Their whole org is such a tired joke.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Pailhead

At this point I'm just hoping he doesn't miss any playoff games. My gut feeling says it will be the rest of the regular season. People keep comparing it to the Doan elbow on Benn...with Doan as a repeat offender. However, Benn didn't sustain an injury. We can speculate all we want on whether or not Vancouver is "resting" Sedin to make it appear he's injured in hopes of a bigger suspension for Keith, but I'm guessing the perception in the league offices is that Sedin is in fact injured with a concussion. I could be wrong, but I thought Shannahan takes into account whether a player was injured or not. If that's the case, I don't think we can rule out a longer suspension for Keith just because he's not a repeat offender like Doan.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
RegDunlop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Funny that Canuck fans are saying Keith hid behind refs all night. What does Lapierre do, every single game?

Their whole org is such a tired joke.
Lapierre has 7 fighting majors this year.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegDunlop73 View Post
Lapierre has 7 fighting majors this year.
And he lost all of them.

Closed Thread