HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Dudley making me feel better about our future

Old
03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He flat out said Kadri will be a very, very good NHLer. There's no way this team has lost confidence in him, at all.

Those comments actually mean nothing. They would say that regardless.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Those comments actually mean nothing. They would say that regardless.
Thanks.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
**EDIT: Saw that Dirty Dion beat me to it, not sure if I have anything more...**

Wasn't that much to it.

- Talked about the emergency call-ups, whether it was done for a legit emergency or just to get the guys (Hamilton and Kadri) time with the big team, id est was it a forward injured or was it a defender. Duds was asked if it needed to be position for position or if you could call-up a defender for a forward. Duds said he didn't think you would want to do that.

- Was asked about Ron Wilson allegedly having a disconnect between himself and Luke Schenn, which may have been the reason for Luke's sturggles. Dudley said he didn't really have knowledge if that was the case but said RW was a good coach and a good friend and wished him well in his career.

- Talked about his experience in Tampa Bay and Chicago, how both organizations endured years of "We're never going to be a contender" attitude from fans and sometimes management, yet the GM in each case had a plan and stuck to it and they became legit contenders.

- Dudley feels the Leafs have a lot of pieces in place already, and that a jump to elite team isn't that far away. Said he thought that there could be a chance it happens next season. [IMO it was said as speculative and not starry-eyed homerism, more meant to indicate that the team doesn't have that much more to add to be a great team]

- Talked about the prospects in the system, specifically mentioned Colborne as a potential 1C or 2C big-bodied centre that a lot of teams will covet. Talked about Gardiner and his great hockey sense and danger sense, said Gardiner could eventually be a #1 or #2 defenceman.

- Was asked about how important prospects are in the cap world, since ELCs are so good at getting a young star under the cap. Dudley said that that was a small part of everything. He said that one of the good things about the Leafs is there is a smaller gap between the stars already on the team (Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf) and the prospects that are developing. Said that when Gardiner is ready to be the NHLer he will become, guys like Phaneuf and Kessel will still be there and the team will grow together.

*I think that's most of it, may've missed a few things...*
No thanks for you. You were beat to it and then you add you might have missed a few things. What was the point?

Anyways. I say blow this team up

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

My neighbour told me his kids are awesome at everything they do.

Sometimes people are not objective

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I always enjoy Dudley and Poulin's interviews.

Thanks for posting.
Your welcome John I enjoy them too. Great interviews.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Darylman

He was very high on Blacker.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
My neighbour told me his kids are awesome at everything they do.

Sometimes people are not objective
You really expect a manager to say people suck? Throw players under
the bus?

The players he mentioned will do something in the NHL. I also believe
that there is a plan in place to make this team elite, with only a few
additions.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
hdtrax

Awesome recap, thanks DD03.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

He's so monotone . Good interview.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Suntouchable13

I think we really need Kadri and Colborne both to develop into bonafide top 6 NHL forwards. A lot of the future hinges on that happening, I think.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I think we really need Kadri and Colborne both to develop into bonafide top 6 NHL forwards. A lot of the future hinges on that happening, I think.
If Kadri becomes a to 6 forward, and Colborne becomes a big shut down C, I'd be happy. I have high hopes for both.

03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
So you are calling him a liar?
I wouln't call him a liar but it is pretty poor if he doesn't know whether a coach and players are having a disconnect in the dressing room. You would think the guys upstairs know what is going on downstairs. But maybe not, it might be just me that thinks that way.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
the bus?

additions.
Didn't Wilson say we were only three pieces away? So not much has changed.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
William Hylander
There can be only 1

vCash: 431
Management always makes everything sound better than it is, no matter if its Loblaws or the Leafs. We've heard this for 7 years and we haven't made an inch of progress. If all it takes is a guy to spout some BS about how good his players and prospects are when we never see any results. If this is all that's needed to have faith then its easy to see why we are always mediocre.

Why doesn't anyone ask the tough questions like "what happened to the no 5 year rebuild" "Why hasn't Burke made an inch of progress with this team" "What are they gonna do with the goaltending situation that isn't sit on the guys they already have"

Instead the Fan basically went up to Dudley and said: "give us your sales pitch". These guys can make a river of **** seem like a river of milk and honey.

William Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
He's so monotone . Good interview.
Quote:
Darkness Management always makes everything sound better than it is, no matter if its Loblaws or the Leafs. We've heard this for 7 years and we haven't made an inch of progress. If all it takes is a guy to spout some BS about how good his players and prospects are when we never see any results. If this is all that's needed to have faith then its easy to see why we are always mediocre.

Why doesn't anyone ask the tough questions like "what happened to the no 5 year rebuild" "Why hasn't Burke made an inch of progress with this team" "What are they gonna do with the goaltending situation that isn't sit on the guys they already have"

Instead the Fan basically went up to Dudley and said: "give us your sales pitch". These guys can make a river of **** seem like a river of milk and honey.
I guess Dudley is not the drone you are looking for.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Management always makes everything sound better than it is, no matter if its Loblaws or the Leafs. We've heard this for 7 years and we haven't made an inch of progress. If all it takes is a guy to spout some BS about how good his players and prospects are when we never see any results. If this is all that's needed to have faith then its easy to see why we are always mediocre.

totally not true. the team he took over was all the talent they had and it was playing at about the highest level you could expect of them. the current team has so much more to look forward to with a lot of young players/prospects who are only going to improve.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
the bus?

additions.
I just like people to be realistic.

The TS said this conversation made him feel better. My point is what dudley says in public is irrelevant. What do outsiders say about our prospects is more useful info.

And great, we are just a #1 centre, a #1 goalie, and a few more good forwards away from being good. No problem getting those things, right?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
He was very high on Blacker.
i watched a game on sportsnet last year just to see blacker and he surprised me so much. he took over the game and scored 2 goals. He would have the puck at the point and instead of just throwing it down low he skated it from the blue line down low and no one could get it off of him. He also hit a ton and will fight. kids going to be good.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:45 PM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Quote:

they have asked those questions and if u knew what was going on with this team u would realize they have made a lot of progress.... having a lot of talent with the marlies and still in junior.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Budsfan

Great interview and very positive, I think he is right.

I have to differ a bit with his take, on the Ron Wilson disconnect with some players, I believe it was time to change coaches, players are just like fans, they hate losing and when the system being used is not successful, they tend to tune out the coaching, thus a new coach and system may help, maybe not this year but next will be a lot better and I agree there are a lot of key pieces in place going forward.

We have a pretty decent Farm crop in the Marlies and some of the players will soon be with the Leafs and some good prospects in the system will replace them.

I also think that Burke has a plan and we are moving forward with it, at the first of the year we were in contention to be in the play-offs and then the wheels fell off and so we may be a few players away from contending but hopfully it will be soon.

Onward and upward.....Go Leafs Go!

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Thanks very much to both posters for the recap.

Very much looking forward to seeing some of the kids make the jump.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
birddog*

Leafs have 4 guys to build around:

Kessel
Lupul
Phaneuf
Gardiner

Others that will help:

Grabovski
Kulemin
Franson
Gunnarson
MacArthur

Young guys that can help but are not sure things:

Kadri
Colborne
Frattin
Ashton
Meuller
Biggs
Ross
Holzner
Blacker
Percy

Question marks:

Schenn
Reimer

Not much help at all in a rebuild:

Connolly
Lombardi
Armstrong
Steckel
Brown
Rosehill
Komisarik
Gustavson

Needs:

Star player at center, defence and goalie...

The last line says it all. Not easy to acquire and if any team in the NHL acquired those guys they'd be a a contender to. Leaf fans are always thinking this team is one star away from contending. That player never comes.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
KlattNazty

I think it was JE that said Blacker was subban-esque, and I think you can really see it when he plays IMO.

The marlies just do not activate defenceman alot, but I imagine that as he becomes more naturally inclined defensively then you will see his offense come out.

What I saw of blacker was his good speed, his puck pursuit (he is very tough on opposing forwards), and his passing. He could handle the puck too.

But it seemed like he was "focused" if that makes sense, on the defensive side of the game.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
I wouln't call him a liar but it is pretty poor if he doesn't know whether a coach and players are having a disconnect in the dressing room. You would think the guys upstairs know what is going on downstairs. But maybe not, it might be just me that thinks that way.
He's not the GM, he doesn't need to know what's going on between coach and players. He just gives his opinion to Burke and they try to make things happen. From the sounds of it, it sounds like Dudley has only gone out for a beer with Wilson and that's it, lmao.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
rumman

Quote:

BINGO, great post.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote