HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it possible for the flyers to purposely lose?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

vCash: 500
In reference to the OP:

Why are so many people scared to play teams like Pitt, NJ, NY? Its the playoffs, nothing that happened in the regular season is of any value except the points to determine seeding (ask Washington over the past few years). I could care less who we play, this team has the talent to compete with anyone, I'd rather have Pittsburgh out of the gate than later in the Conf. Finals with a banged up roster and potential injuries and Crosby in his 100% groove. Bryz is confident right now and a big part of winning the cup is a hot goaltender who thinks he can't be beat.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:07 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

A) What the hell

B) After the last game, I can see everyone including Lavi, Homer, G or Jagr saying "yeah I definitely want to face these people we just lost to in the first round"

C) WHAT
THE
HELL

kudymen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
ghiigh33
Rookie User

Apparently I set off some kind of fire here. Yikes. Sorry for the question. Yes, I really am a flyers fan and I want to see them win. But from an unbiased point of view.....pittsburgh is better right now. And yes bryz has played fantastically the past few weeks....but I really think the flyers would struggle to take the pens. Yeah its a matchup I would love to see.

Last edited by ghiigh33: 03-22-2012 at 04:17 PM.
ghiigh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiigh33 View Post
But from an unbiased point of view.....pittsburgh is better right now.
And once the playoffs start, you can throw all that out the window.

Just like if we were to play the Panthers in the playoffs, it would matter who is "better" right now. All that matters is who plays better in those 4-7 games.

It doesnt make a difference who we play.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
no team with any self respect would lose on purpose
This is why I have no respect for the Pittsburgh organization.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
They didn't penalize the pens for intentionally sucking for years
Amen. The Chairman does not play by those rules. He would not allow this team to be ruled by the "SUCK". Like the penquins.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
In reference to the OP:

Why are so many people scared to play teams like Pitt, NJ, NY? Its the playoffs, nothing that happened in the regular season is of any value except the points to determine seeding (ask Washington over the past few years). I could care less who we play, this team has the talent to compete with anyone, I'd rather have Pittsburgh out of the gate than later in the Conf. Finals with a banged up roster and potential injuries and Crosby in his 100% groove. Bryz is confident right now and a big part of winning the cup is a hot goaltender who thinks he can't be beat.
Later in the conference?
Is that the reason?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiigh33 View Post
Apparently I set off some kind of fire here. Yikes. Sorry for the question. Yes, I really am a flyers fan and I want to see them win. But from an unbiased point of view.....pittsburgh is better right now. And yes bryz has played fantastically the past few weeks....but I really think the flyers would struggle to take the pens. Yeah its a matchup I would love to see.
Id rather them go into the playoffs on a nice hot streak. That is their best chance at taking out the Penguins or Rangers.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryb View Post
Lose on purpose???? To hell with that. This is Philadelphia, not Pittsburgh.
They'd be losing to pick a playoff opponent, not tank for half a decade to stack their **** team in their **** city with top 5 picks.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Some nights I think it's impossible for them to purposefully win.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
RyK15*

Look guys, if we're to go to the Cup, EVENTUALLY we'll have to play a very tough opponent. It's inevitable. If this team really can make that run, why not get the Pens or Rags out of the way now? Think of the momentum this team would have going forward after defeating an archrival in the first round. And even if we lose, we're not going down without a fight. I'm sure that even if the Penguins beat us in 7 games, they'll be so banged up from the series that they'll go down in the next round. We'll have to play one of Boston, Pittsburgh, or New York. The only question is when. I'd rather get it out of the way. Going to the Conference Finals is honestly worthless to me. I'm 22 years old, and I've already seen that 5 times. I want to win the Cup.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Broad Street Elite

Let me preface by saying this:

You Do Not Ever Try to Lose

Now, let me say this. 5th seed in the East is going to suck. The road to the Stanley Cup could feature a tough physical battle with the hottest team in the NHL (Pittsburgh), a series against a Ranger which we have yet to beat (yes, we're better), a potential championship series against the defending SC Champs, then the best out West.

It's going to be brutal and physically exhausting for a team filled with key youth that lack playoff inexperience.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:04 AM
flyingsouth

Oh sure, they could purposely lose... but what a gutless display that would be. Better to suck and lose honestly than throw games because you don't have the balls to face A grade opposition early in the playoffs.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Kaktus*

Let's put it this way.. If NJ is 1 point behind us and this is the last game of the season and we are in 5th place?

I am sitting out Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Jagr, Timonen and Bryzgalov with Grossman and Coburn. Let NJ move into 5th and you are welcome.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

The Flyers got Montreal, Tampa, Ottawa, and Toronto coming up next (3 of them at home).
Right now Montreal with a 4-3-3 record in their L10 is the best team out of that bunch. I'm gonna freak if they lose those games as it is, nevermind on purpose.
Especially with PIT x2, NYR, and BUF to close out the season.

Beat the Penguins two times in regulation, go 8-0, hope Pittsburgh drops another 2 points -> 1st seed coming up.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
mcsarahbell
Rookie User

Send a message via AIM to mcsarahbell Send a message via Skype™ to mcsarahbell
I don't want to play against any team that we don't take seriously right now...why? We don't take them seriously ... take two periods off...and they end up beating us. Are we forgetting that we've played very well against ****tsburgh all year, even with Crosby back? I'd rather play Pittsburgh than NYR, who we can't seem to buy a goal against...but the reality is you have to beat the best...to be the best. So, FFS... you take who you take and come ready to play.

mcsarahbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Let's put it this way.. If NJ is 1 point behind us and this is the last game of the season and we are in 5th place?

I am sitting out Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Jagr, Timonen and Bryzgalov with Grossman and Coburn. Let NJ move into 5th and you are welcome.
Florida has one of the easiest remaining schedules. How do you know that Boston won't have that 3rd seed? I'd rather play the Penguins or Rangers in the first round.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Teezax

The argument is silly, if we want the cup we'll need to get by the Pens/Rangers anyway.
Bring 'em on.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahbell View Post
I don't want to play against any team that we don't take seriously right now...why? We don't take them seriously ... take two periods off...and they end up beating us. Are we forgetting that we've played very well against ****tsburgh all year, even with Crosby back? I'd rather play Pittsburgh than NYR, who we can't seem to buy a goal against...but the reality is you have to beat the best...to be the best. So, FFS... you take who you take and come ready to play.
Amen, sister! The Flyers should have other teams nervous about playing them in the first round. I'm not expecting a deep Cup run anyway, so all the playoff experience this young squad can get under their belts will be great. Though if they come out of the first round relatively healthy, I have a little voice telling me that all bets are off as to how far they can go.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No, the Flyers are not going to lose on purpose.

Also, Flyers over Pens in 5, 6 max if we have to start on the road.
let me guess we are going to sweep the Bruins and Rangers too on the way to the Cup Final.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahbell View Post
I don't want to play against any team that we don't take seriously right now...why? We don't take them seriously ... take two periods off...and they end up beating us.
The last thing I want to see is to tank to get a match-up we could easily lose and still be called out for purposefully doing it. Let the chips land where they fall.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
The argument is silly, if we want the cup we'll need to get by the Pens/Rangers anyway.
Bring 'em on.
That's what I thought 2 years ago about the Capitals and Pens.
Anything can happen.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:07 PM
ninetynine*

Aim for the highest position possible, but rest Jagr for Shelley the last couple games. We can't have a 40-year-old Jagr getting a groin injury at the end of the season, we need him in the playoffs too much and he's too old to risk.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:24 PM
BernieParent

Considering the low chance of passing both the Rangers and Penguins, the final games should be the time to establish lines, even out playing times and make sure the team goes into the playoffs as healthy as possible. Not tanking at all, but not going hell bent for leather either.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Aim for the highest position possible, but rest Jagr for Shelley the last couple games. We can't have a 40-year-old Jagr getting a groin injury at the end of the season, we need him in the playoffs too much and he's too old to risk.
I'd rather call someone up or play pretty much anybody else, if they decide to do this for whatever reason. We know what Shelley can do: nothing. I'd rather see what others can do.