HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
brunosevigny

vCash: 500
This is how I see the draft coming:
1st round: High-end forward (anyone of the top 4)
2nd round: Potential top 30 who has fallen (Wilson, Hertl (Would be an amazing pick) etc.)
2nd Round (NSH): I could see us pick a goalie with this one or with the 3rd depending on how it is going (Subban, Vasilievski, Dansk, Whitney).

Old
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Great skater is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Giroux. Maybe elusive skater or whatever but that comes more with a great hockey mind than with great skating ability. Looking at him play, it's obvious in my mind that he's not a great skater.
Giroux has plus speed but doesn't play at break neck speed. There is alot more to skating than just pure speed and Giroux is an extremely dynamic skater which allows him to be so elusive on the ice.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:36 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Actually......Timmins does make the decision on who to draft. It has been that way for a while.

Are you saying that it is an absolute that Grigorenko will be picked before all of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray, Trouba and Reilly.

You may be in for a shock.........on the plus side you can chalk it up to experience. As Grant McKagg said, "just because you can rank a guy as #2 doesn't mean you can pick him at #2"......or something like that.
I seen the post that Grant posted and watched the game Timmins went to on the Friday night game where Grigorenko floated all night.Columbus was there too.But talent like Gringo's isn't something you can teach,having a bodyguard for exceptional players should be a given.I assume Roy's son fills the bill,I might be wrong about Mikhail being the Hab pick,but the most talented player will be Grigorenko no doubt in my mind.The Habs could draft him and trade for Cody Beach from St.Louis to be his RW and nobody would get away with cheap shots with him around to protect Gringo.Beach at 6'6 and over 200 lbs can play puts up points and loves the physical game like White.He is tenth on St.Louis's prospects list so he would be available and any prospect taken in the top three it is wise to protect the investment.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:49 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I seen the post that Grant posted and watched the game Timmins went to on the Friday night game where Grigorenko floated all night.Columbus was there too.But talent like Gringo's isn't something you can teach,having a bodyguard for exceptional players should be a given.I assume Roy's son fills the bill,I might be wrong about Mikhail being the Hab pick,but the most talented player will be Grigorenko no doubt in my mind.The Habs could draft him and trade for Cody Beach from St.Louis to be his RW and nobody would get away with cheap shots with him around to protect Gringo.Beach at 6'6 and over 200 lbs can play puts up points and loves the physical game like White.He is tenth on St.Louis's prospects list so he would be available and any prospect taken in the top three it is wise to protect the investment.
Interesting idea, I made a value thread on the trade forum. He has an uncanny resemblance to Max Pacioretty too.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think what have people so excited about Forsberg is that he is being considered the top swedish forward prospect since Nicklas Backstrom by many in Sweden. Swedish top ten picks tend to hit and hit big time, and when a guy from that country comes along and is as highly thought of as Forsberg is he should be considered a top prospect.

That said Yakupov is the prize of this years draft, but I am a little concerned about him. The concussion bothers me, as does the fact he's not very big and plays an all out brand of hockey similar to Ovechkin, and then you look at the play where he got hurt (cutting across the middle with his head down going 100mph), and you gotta worry about his long term ability to stay healthy as a serious issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosevigny View Post
This is how I see the draft coming:
1st round: High-end forward (anyone of the top 4)
2nd round: Potential top 30 who has fallen (Wilson, Hertl (Would be an amazing pick) etc.)
2nd Round (NSH): I could see us pick a goalie with this one or with the 3rd depending on how it is going (Subban, Vasilievski, Dansk, Whitney).
I too see problems ahead for Yakupov with the style of game he plays sort of like Wendel Clark in his heyday before the injury bug took over.Like you say Forsberg may yet be the best pick,it's very limited viewing on his play.Timmins is over having a look at the European players,so he will know which ones to draft.Gauthier likes the power forwards just like Chiarelli & Cam Neely in Boston do,so Forsberg fits that bill apparently and he could look really good on a line with Eller & Pacioretty in a couple of years.Like you say Bruno the Nashville 2nd pick could be used for a goalie and the European goalies could start playing in Hamilton this season.Vasilievski sure looked tremendous in the WJC's and could be great for the chances of Hamilton taking the Calder Trophy next year.My hope is they take Cristoval Nieves from Kent School he's a pretty talented center that's going to the Wolverines after this season.I hope Gauthier signs one of the goalie UFA's out of college and keeps his draft choices for skaters myself.There are some great goalies coming from the Colleges with lots of experience against good competition.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Great skater is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Giroux. Maybe elusive skater or whatever but that comes more with a great hockey mind than with great skating ability. Looking at him play, it's obvious in my mind that he's not a great skater.
I agree, Giroux is more like Denis Savard or Gretzky, slippery and elusive not super fast. He is very smart and has great hands.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree, Giroux is more like Denis Savard or Gretzky, slippery and elusive not super fast. He is very smart and has great hands.
If he is so elusive why'd he get concussed?

Old
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
quality trolling here!

Anyway, I know I've been pushing hard for Grigorenko but really, with our offensive prospects, I just hope we get to have one of the Grigo/Yakupov/Galchenyuk/Forsberg.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

you ever actually watch hockey or has living in toronto blinded you to it?

Old
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
He was hit by his own teammate..........from behind.

Never claimed he was a Ninja.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Are you serious!!?

Old
03-23-2012, 09:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

So this kid, Ty Loney, 6'3", 20 years old, passed in the draft plays his rookie year for Denver after USHL. Playing on the top line lately. Haven't watched enough Denver games, but I liked what I saw from him.
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66546

Might be worth a 6th. Any ideas?

Old
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs could draft him and trade for Cody Beach from St.Louis to be his RW and nobody would get away with cheap shots with him around to protect Gringo.Beach at 6'6 and over 200 lbs can play puts up points and loves the physical game like White.He is tenth on St.Louis's prospects list so he would be available and any prospect taken in the top three it is wise to protect the investment.
Do you think that Cody Beach is going to be a top six NHL player, or that Grigorenko is going to be a bottom six NHL player?

Old
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Head shake

Old
03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Guilliam

So Yakupov and Galchenyuk were both supposed to play tonight, no?

Anyone know how they're doing?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post

1 PPG by Galchenyuk, assisted by Yakupov.

But Sarnia lost 5-1, in their first playoff game. Galchenyuk -2, Yakupov -3.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:16 PM
hoockeyrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post

Galchenyuk scored the only goal, assisted by Yakupov! but Sarnia lost by 5 to 1

Old
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Guilliam

Thanks guys!

Old
03-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoockeyrocks View Post
Galchenyuk scored the only goal, assisted by Yakupov! but Sarnia lost by 5 to 1
Both Nail and Gally played very little, probably just over 10 mins each and were very ineffective tonight. Gally had the goal on a rebound in which Yakupov got an assist but past that they both showed a lot of rust, as it was Yak's first game back since the hit and only Alex's 3rd of the year. They played on the same line most of the game usually on a loaded line with Ryan Spooner but failed to generate anything. It's very clear it's gunna take some time for them to get up to speed and find that chemistry but if the team plays like they did tonight much longer it'll be a short glimpe of them before the Sting get bounced.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:07 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
Both Nail and Gally played very little, probably just over 10 mins each and were very ineffective tonight. Gally had the goal on a rebound in which Yakupov got an assist but past that they both showed a lot of rust, as it was Yak's first game back since the hit and only Alex's 3rd of the year. They played on the same line most of the game usually on a loaded line with Ryan Spooner but failed to generate anything. It's very clear it's gunna take some time for them to get up to speed and find that chemistry but if the team plays like they did tonight much longer it'll be a short glimpe of them before the Sting get bounced.
That would blow. We need to see more of those 2.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:53 AM
domdo345

Do not want to be the one to say this but Grigo had to display something good in the playoff and he did so far, while the two Russians from Sarnia have yet to prove they are recovered from injuries. Though call.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Both are only indications from game 1 of the play-offs. Don't forget that scouts keep tabs on these players for a long time. I'm sure they are very knowledgable on their progression as players, their upside and have seen them quite a bit in their careers.

Updated mock draft based on the shifting of the standings last night..
Columbus - Nail Yakupov
Edmonton - Ryan Murray
Montreal - Mikhail Grigorenko
New York Islanders - Matthew Dumba
Minnesota - Filip Forsberg
Tampa Bay - Jacob Trouba
Toronto Maple Leafs - Alex Galchenyuk
Anaheim - Morgan Rielly
Carolina - Sebastien Collberg.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:39 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Do not want to be the one to say this but Grigo had to display something good in the playoff and he did so far, while the two Russians from Sarnia have yet to prove they are recovered from injuries. Though call.
Q playoffs are a joke, practically every team makes the playoffs (only 1 team doesn't).

So you get a massive mismatch of Sea Dogs vs Cape Breton, it was horrible to watch. They should have been mercied at one point to stop the massacre.

I think people want to see Grigo play against good teams, hopefully Quebec goes far in the playoffs, and he gets his chance to shine against the top teams.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:18 AM
dm1371

So would you guys go with Grigorenko with our 1st if he's still on the table or is it too much of a risk? considering Galchenyuk has his risks with the injury and all

Old
03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1371 View Post
So would you guys go with Grigorenko with our 1st if he's still on the table or is it too much of a risk? considering Galchenyuk has his risks with the injury and all
I reserve judgement until the CHL play-offs are over for both players.

Closed Thread