HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

mouthguard and gagging

Old
03-23-2012, 01:23 PM
drivesrf

vCash: 500
mouthguard and gagging

So I have issues with wearing a mouthguard, I can't wear one without gagging,boiled cut, no matter what I always gag. I find my that I bite my tounge when I play and this could be bad if I fell on it. Any thoughts??

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
So I have issues with wearing a mouthguard, I can't wear one without gagging,boiled cut, no matter what I always gag. I find my that I bite my tounge when I play and this could be bad if I fell on it. Any thoughts??
What kinds of mouthguards have you tried? It sounds like the mouthguard is too big. It should be covering your teeth, but not touching the back of your mouth, especially not enough to trigger a gag reflex.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
noobman

Try a youth mouthguard as they are smaller than full-sized mouthguards.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
CGNY87

When i did wear a mouthpiece i found that the "bottom" mouthguards felt better. Not sure how they compare as protection. Called "Gravity" by shock doctor. Supposed to have unrestricted breathing and speaking.

Just a suggestion.

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
drivesrf

I have cut down the mouthguard so its not far back, i do have a terrible gag reflex though, I cant hold keys in my mouth without gagging and sometimes even when I brush my teeth haha

Old
03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been using a Gravity for five years, works awesome. Bottom teeth. Also, cut the very back parts of the mouthguard if they bug you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
socktape

And here I've been thinking I was the only one with the gagging problem. I even have a dentist-made mouth guard, so I think it's more psychological. It doesn't bother me when I'm skating, just when I'm sitting on the bench breathing hard and my mouth gets all dry. A quick swig of water helps, or putting the tip of my tongue on the back of my top teeth and concentrating on what's happening on the ice. Sounds weird but I think it opens up my throat.

socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
mbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by socktape View Post
And here I've been thinking I was the only one with the gagging problem. I even have a dentist-made mouth guard, so I think it's more psychological. It doesn't bother me when I'm skating, just when I'm sitting on the bench breathing hard and my mouth gets all dry. A quick swig of water helps, or putting the tip of my tongue on the back of my top teeth and concentrating on what's happening on the ice. Sounds weird but I think it opens up my throat.
i'm in the same boat. terrible gag reflex, sometimes i gag brushing my teeth. i've got a normal shock doctor (possibly the mid range one? I think it cost about $30) that goes on the top teeth that I wear when i play rugby. cheaper mouthguards sometimes make me gag, but the one i've got now doesn't. maybe i just don't notice it during games/practices or something, or the way its shaped, but i haven't cut it or anything.

i might recommend one of the dentist made ones. my roommate uses one for rugby, and it's a much thinner/smaller profile than the shock doctor i wear. like i said though, i just happened to find one that worked for me. i still gag sometimes randomly, when i'm taking it our or something, but its not really an issue

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
shawn1331

Don't wear one? Sorry I don't know it your league requires them, but mouthguards are nearly useless in no contact leagues.

I play in a no contact league and don't wear mouthguards. I keep it in my glove if the ref says anything but they are just not protective.

1) They aren't going to stop you from biting your tongue, because they aren't intended to do that. No matter how much plastic is in your mouth your bottom teeth will always push your talk into the top of your mouth and still bite it hard.

2) They won't stop your teeth from getting knocked out, and often make it worse because it may get loose and when you take your mouth guard off it may pull the tooth out if you have a tight fitting mouth guard.

3) They don't "prevent" concussions and it's been said that they hardly do anything at all by many sport doctors.

4) Concussions haven't slowed down since mouthguards were introduced(I don't mean NHL or pro levels)

I don't know just my oppinion on them. I mean yeah the NHL mandated them but they haven't mandated neckguards and in almost all cases a concussion is alot less severe then getting your jugular sliced by a racer blade.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Doland
The King is Alive

I had this problem when I first began wearing one. Breathing through your nose instead of your mouth helps, a lot.

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also the Gravity guards shift your jaw forward slightly so it forces you to breathe easier.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:19 PM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've been using a Gravity for five years, works awesome. Bottom teeth. Also, cut the very back parts of the mouthguard if they bug you.
I never even thought of using a bottom guard...might try that

Old
03-24-2012, 10:42 AM
takehisheadoff

Depending on your leagues rules it is hard to say. When I first had to wear one when losing the cage I cut it so only my front four teeth were covered. A rule violation but everyone thinks your wearing it . Just be careful you don`t choke on it

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
socktape

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Don't wear one? Sorry I don't know it your league requires them, but mouthguards are nearly useless in no contact leagues...
Mine has keeps me from chipping any more teeth. Got slammed into and hit the deck like a ton of bricks. My teeth smacked together and I chipped a molar ... for me it's well worth a few dry heaves here and there.

socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Skraut

I had the same issue. asked my dentist about it, and he made me a custom molded mouthguard from impressions of my teeth. It was over a year or so ago, and I can't remember if he billed the insurance or not, but I do remember paying $20 out of pocket for it.

It fits my upper teeth perfectly, (naturally) and fits so tight to my teeth I forget it is there, and don't have any issues whatsoever.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote