HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Brendan Gallagher is one of the most intriguing prospects in hockey

Old
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Why Brendan Gallagher is one of the most intriguing prospects in hockey

Interesting article on the Vancouver Province, posted on M.Brunet's blog.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Br...888/story.html

Dare I say, Future captain?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
DrunkenHabz

...if they don't trade him for a bigger, less talented guy. la Bourque if you know what I mean. It's the new Habs philosophy, as Mister Gauthier stated.

But I agree 100% with you, if somehow, this management doesn't fu*k it up, as always.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:35 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
...if they don't trade him for a bigger, less talented guy. la Bourque if you know what I mean. It's the new Habs philosophy, as Mister Gauthier stated.

But I agree 100% with you, if somehow, this management doesn't fu*k it up, as always.
Yeah, right. Bourque is big AND a scorer despite his struggles with us so far, and I'm more than willing to let him redeem himself next year. Don't act like PG is turning us into a team of goons, the size is a very welcome addition.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yeah, right. Bourque is big AND a scorer despite his struggles with us so far, and I'm more than willing to let him redeem himself next year. Don't act like PG is turning us into a team of goons, the size is a very welcome addition.
Even though I've criticized Bourque alot, I still think he deserves a chance to redeem himself, but the coaching staff and the GM have to put him in the right situation to succeed.

As you said, the size and the physicality are very welcome, but in the end it's all about good balance. You still wanna have really skilled guys in your team, small or not.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Bourque played himself out of Calgary and has had a chance to revitalize his career in Mtl. It's not just that he's failed, it's that he hasn't even tried. If you look up "coast" in the dictionary there's a picture of Bourque there. I'd love him to "redeem himself" next year, but on what basis can anyone really expect it?

He averages a little over 1 hit game for his whole career, and he's slowing down and slacking off. I can't see any reason to get my hopes up, personally. Guy's been truly terrible.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
boynickname

I really like his attitude and how he battles for the puck and is also willing to drop the gloves...put that together with his skill and he will have a good NHL career. This is the type of player that will be great when playoffs roll around

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Hullois

This board has got an amazing way of changing the topic of the thread within the first 4 posts lol

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Bullsmith

I love Gallagher but man he's going to take a beating. He's a fantastic story, but by the same token the fact that he's one of our top F prospects is not exactly a sign of organizational depth. Still, he's a heck of a hockey player. His will to win is incredible.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

If Gallagher turns into a useless floater like cammalleri by all means trade him.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
I'm not acting like anything. I'm just recalling what PG said already. And I'm looking at facts. We lost Cammalleri (not that I liked him) and Kostitsyn (didn't really liked him either) that represented our 'talent' department. Since then, our lines have shown Blunden, Bourque, Staubitz, White among others. Add a Moen to that and it's not that far from a goon team. Not to mention that Leblanc tends to lean more on the 'grinder' type than the 'sniper' one. As well as Darche, ect. So please tell me how this team is not turning into a goon/grinding oriented team?

Bourque is big AND has an incredible talent to miss the net. No but seriously, everybody in the world of hockey knows that Bourque is a guy like Pouliot or Kostitsyn. He shows up 1 game and sleeps on the next 4. Sure the salary cap is better looking than when Cammy did the same, but at the end of the day, Bourque is not as physical as we thought him to be and his shot is not as great as Cammy's. (Just to make it clear, I really didn't like Cammy so don't come argumenting that Cammy sucked, you'd be right).

As for Gallagher, he's awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing him play with the big club asap.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I don't want him on the team yet. Let him take his time in Hamilton battling it out with Kristo and maybe Holland.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Gallagher turns into a useless floater like cammalleri by all means trade him.
Exactly. Couldn't have stated it better.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
DAChampion

I'd like to see a line of Gallagher-Desharnais-Gionta -- for one shift, as a curiosity.

In reality, I don't think a team can have more than 2 short guys in the top-6. It's possible, but I doubt it, even 2 short guys might be a lot.

However, I don't see Gallagher making the team as a regular before Gionta's contract is up, so there's no issue. With the way he's going, two full seasons in Hamilton might be enough to propel him to a Calder Trophy nomination.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
This board has got an amazing way of changing the topic of the thread within the first 4 posts lol
Dude that's exactly what I thought when I came back to see who I made mad with my Bourque statement.

Weirdly, I knew somehow everybody would be talking about Bourque instead of Gallagher. I'm sorry, should have known better.

Great article!

Old
03-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Is this thread about Bourque?

Anyway, Gallagher is one of those guys who forces the coach to keep him on the team. He has a size disadvantage and he does absolutely everything necessary to counter that disadvantage; he skates hard, he plays hard, he scores goals, makes passes, he has vision, etc.

I don't know if we'll see him full-time next season but I expect he'll start in Hamilton and earn intermittent callups like Lebland and Palushaj this season) and if he performs as well as he should he'll be a full-time NHLer in 2013-2014

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:34 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I don't want him on the team yet. Let him take his time in Hamilton battling it out with Kristo and maybe Holland.
Holland isn't even close to Gallagher's level.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Gio is done in 2 years.

Its perfect timing.

As far as Bourque goes, cut him loose this summer. The trend is in.

He is just like Gomez. Done in on the early side of his career.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
haburger

Quote:

Erik cole says hi.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Bullsmith

Kristo's another prospect with really big upside, but who's going to have to fight to achieve it. He's not blue chip top line, but like Gallagher has high-impact offensive potential. Keyword is potential.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I love Gallagher but man he's going to take a beating. He's a fantastic story, but by the same token the fact that he's one of our top F prospects is not exactly a sign of organizational depth. Still, he's a heck of a hockey player. His will to win is incredible.
I don't see it as a bad sign, the fact that he made the WJC for Team Canada shows he would be a top prospect for pretty much any team.

It's also another potential steal by our scouts. Keep it up Timmins!

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:23 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:

We dumped a big contract for often injured player in Bourque trade. Plus, got a 2nd pick in an exceptionally deep draft.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
We dumped a big contract for often injured player in Bourque trade. Plus, got a 2nd pick in an exceptionally deep draft.
Don't forget Holland who injured Gallagher.

See, this Bourque talk is related to Gallagher in a way.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He just screams Gio, which is a great thing. Dunno if he'll be able to have a similar impact, but he seems to have the philosophy of Gio and DD which makes him very intriguing as a prospect.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Don't forget Holland who injured Gallagher.

See, this Bourque talk is related to Gallagher in a way.
It wasn't Holland that injured him but he certainly destroyed him on that hit.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
shutehinside

Fire Timmins!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote