HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Dudley making me feel better about our future

Old
03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Management always makes everything sound better than it is, no matter if its Loblaws or the Leafs. We've heard this for 7 years and we haven't made an inch of progress. If all it takes is a guy to spout some BS about how good his players and prospects are when we never see any results. If this is all that's needed to have faith then its easy to see why we are always mediocre.

Why doesn't anyone ask the tough questions like "what happened to the no 5 year rebuild" "Why hasn't Burke made an inch of progress with this team" "What are they gonna do with the goaltending situation that isn't sit on the guys they already have"

Instead the Fan basically went up to Dudley and said: "give us your sales pitch". These guys can make a river of **** seem like a river of milk and honey.
Maybe since the interview was with the Director of Player Personnel then they would ask Dudley questions that relate to his responsibilities and not Burke's.

Just a wild guess.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:31 PM
One Man Wolfpack

Rick Dudley is a refreshing interview as opposed to listening to Burke. I like Burke's for the entertainment value but Dudley seems to be humble and straight forward. A little positive in light of this dark cloud around this team.

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
after hearing this i hope some leaf fans preech patience and stop making crap up about burke being "impatient" and trading the future for now. He wont do that and i believe there a good plan in place. Very happy he talked about Jesse Blacker i love this kid and he will be a good one.
This. Can someone explain how everyone screams for elite players from the draft (top 3 - 5) but yet they need to make the playoffs every year? The logic of some fans on here puzzle me.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:05 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

i love this at 2:30, "i like ron wilson as a coach i thought he was a very bright guy, he became a friend of mine and i wont say anything disparaging about him" ... an obvious prelude to a diss ... " i know that randy is a GREAT coach..."

if there is one good thing about this crash, we got to abort the rotten ronnie experiment because even if he got us in the playoffs this year then we'd have to deal with his playoff crappiness which would have taken a couple more years to fully digest and we got carlyle before somebody else scooped him up ... carlyle teams play vintage leaf hockey with none of that non stop pinching **** etc... so i am desperate for something positive and this is it

plus dudley, an exceptional talent evaluator confirms kadri as legit

now excuse me, i have to go to the tv and watch the leafs get the piss kicked out of them

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
The Iceman

It is never a problem having too many good players but if Leafs management thinks Colborne will be a #2 centre, and they intend to sign/trade/draft a #1 centre where does that leave Grabovski and his BIG fat contract.
Doesn't seem reasonable to have him on the 3rd line.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Maybe since the interview was with the Director of Player Personnel then they would ask Dudley questions that relate to his responsibilities and not Burke's.

Just a wild guess.
Dudley can only answer one question then. What does this player look like? He's never gonna say anything even slightly controversial. This is just damage control getting ready for the ****storm next season. What the point of even listening anymore?

I'm sure Dudley had his answers prepared 4 days before the interview though, what ground breaking news he has faith in the players.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
This. Can someone explain how everyone screams for elite players from the draft (top 3 - 5) but yet they need to make the playoffs every year? The logic of some fans on here puzzle me.
Tankers are realists who love the leafs and are prepared to wait a few yrs while we draft top end elite talent
If everyone in leafs nation would unite with the playoff dreamers and become tankers then just maybe we would get a cup winner

Till that happens happy mediocrity

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:13 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
He called Kadri "inordinately talented". Based on what I keep hearing, there is no doubt this team still believed kadri can be a great NHler
Once we move him to center his high end creativity will truly shine through.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
It is never a problem having too many good players but if Leafs management thinks Colborne will be a #2 centre, and they intend to sign/trade/draft a #1 centre where does that leave Grabovski and his BIG fat contract.
Doesn't seem reasonable to have him on the 3rd line.
If/when we develop/acquire two top-6 centreman who are better than Grabovski we will pretty easily be able to move him for significant value (think a 1st-rounder) to a team looking for a # 2 C. If we never get two centreman better than Grabo, he's a very good # 2 C and a good piece of the puzzle.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:02 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Tankers are realists who love the leafs and are prepared to wait a few yrs while we draft top end elite talent
If everyone in leafs nation would unite with the playoff dreamers and become tankers then just maybe we would get a cup winner

u should start an online petition this yr for every1 in the leaf nation to become tankers

we would get the #1 pick 4 sure

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Yeah, I can see it now: Rick Dudley comes on the radio and says the Leafs have an average group of prospects and the talent on our team isn't very good.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
bluebarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Yeah, I can see it now: Rick Dudley comes on the radio and says the Leafs have an average group of prospects and the talent on our team isn't very good.
#honesty

bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post

Seems to me the tankers have the least patience of all. Their dream is unfolding before their eyes yet they still rant and complain! Tankers, in my opionion talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
You are correct but I do not understand your point. Would you rather hear nothing? What exactly are you expecting from Dudley?

Old
03-24-2012, 10:24 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You are correct but I do not understand your point. Would you rather hear nothing? What exactly are you expecting from Dudley?
I don't understand posts like that either

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
ihlmvp

I think the comments about keeping the age gap between today's leaders and the up and comers is telling - particularly with goaltending. The "plan" might just be to hope a young goalie turns into a star as the team develops and, if not, wait for the right time (team challenging for top 4 playoff position) to bring in a veteran that can be a true #1.

ihlmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Realistically speaking you don't talk down your assets.

I'm sure if you played a clip from every other GM/AGM from 29 other teams you'd hear a similar take on their assets.

Rally talks are nothing new, nor even limited to sports. Hold onto your NorTel stocks they are going to $200.

We can see the talent of Gardiner on the ice, don't need to hear someone say it. We can see the talent that Kadri has on the ice. He isn't in the minors because he lacks talent, I would suspect everyone knows that. Blacker we've been hearing good things about since he was drafted. Same with Percy.

We all have hope and dreams, and project good things for the team. Just like 2 years ago when management called the Leafs a team that would contend for the playoffs.

This isn't a post to be negative, because we all want a contender, but an injury to a goaltender can undo everything else.

Leafs fans continue to wait, not for the hope, we wait for the result. We always have hope year after year after year after year after GM after GM after GM ...

We'll be there regardless of who wears the uniform, directs traffic, or holds the seats of power.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Seems to me the tankers have the least patience of all. Their dream is unfolding before their eyes yet they still rant and complain! Tankers, in my opionion talk the talk but do not walk the walk.
THIS!

What they want is high draft picks all of whom turn into a healthy Crosby, no growing pains, no learning curve, and no actual watching of hockey games required.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure either.

He said nothing earth shattering.

People used to comment about JFj, neither confirming nor denying comments, but it isn't like Burke or anyone else ever comes out and gives you inside information.

It's just a feel good interview in another year of failure.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Realistically speaking you don't talk down your assets.

I'm sure if you played a clip from every other GM/AGM from 29 other teams you'd hear a similar take on their assets.

Rally talks are nothing new, nor even limited to sports. Hold onto your NorTel stocks they are going to $200.

We can see the talent of Gardiner on the ice, don't need to hear someone say it. We can see the talent that Kadri has on the ice. He isn't in the minors because he lacks talent, I would suspect everyone knows that. Blacker we've been hearing good things about since he was drafted. Same with Percy.

We all have hope and dreams, and project good things for the team. Just like 2 years ago when management called the Leafs a team that would contend for the playoffs.

This isn't a post to be negative, because we all want a contender, but an injury to a goaltender can undo everything else.

Leafs fans continue to wait, not for the hope, we wait for the result. We always have hope year after year after year after year after GM after GM after GM ...

We'll be there regardless of who wears the uniform, directs traffic, or holds the seats of power.
Ulf, a very fine post. bravo.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
lol thats funny

03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
hulksmash

I have faith in Burke and this team. I never thought that it was going to be easy for this team to progress. It's taking time but I feel we got some great pieces that will help us for a long time. We are in the right direction for sure. Just a few more key pieces and some experience and some veteran leadership.

hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
hulksmash

* I also would love to see a reality T.V show about all these arm chair GMs we have in this forum, would be funny and a big big mess because everyone thinks it's soooo easy to manage a team.

hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Kadri next year will surprise a lot and I can't wait.
I've seen that comment every year for the last 3 years.

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
I've seen that comment every year for the last 3 years.
Maybe from others, but for me Ive been the guy preaching patience and defense, so next off-season training camp, it should be good for me to see.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote