HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conklin

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 07:54 PM
fuhr

vCash: 500
Conklin

Some of you are getting a little too excited with this whole Conklin thing. Granted,Tommy has struggled,Conklin has played well but lets not get out of hand. He was scored on 4 times by the Rangers and Bruins,he then let in 1 goal against two offensively challenged teams in the Flames and Wild.

This team will go as far as Salo takes it and not Conklin so accept that fact and just hope Ty plays well until Salo gets back. This sounds a lot like those people who thought Jussi should be playing ahead of Salo because he played a few good games. Conklin is not an NHL starter at this point,he may be a good backup,and he clearly isn't a #1 goalie,so don't kid yourselves. All i want is Conklin to start against Dallas whether or not Salo is healthy.

Christ,he didn't even play that many games last year with the Dogs!!!He was not any better than Fichaud or Garon last season.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Oiltalk

I've been waiting for someone to come out and say this. People are way to optimistic here, and are not putting too much thought into the whole thing.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:13 PM
elphy101

I actually don't get the sense that anyone is annoiting Ty Conklin as the savior or our longterm goalie of the future(not yet anyway).

I think people are just stating that they would take Ty Conklin over the Tommy Salo of the last year and a half. Conklin is playing alot better than Salo has in a long time.

Ideally though, Salo will come back once he's healthy and return to form. He seems to be a goalie that needs to be 100% to perform.

Maybe Salo's struggles can be explained by the injured shoulder last year and the injured groin this year. I don't know. I just know that this year, Conklin has been better than Salo. I forgot what it was like to have a goalie steal a game for a team, like Conklin did on saturday against the flames.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:43 PM
H-Bear

I don't think there are many around that think Conklin is our saviour in goal for the next few years. They are just very excited to have a guy who works hard, plays the puck well, and fills his role as a temp #1 goalie very well.

Why wouldn't the fans be excited? Until he proves otherwise, he seems to be a rather capable 1B goalie.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I actually don't get the sense that anyone is annoiting Ty Conklin as the savior or our longterm goalie of the future(not yet anyway).

I think people are just stating that they would take Ty Conklin over the Tommy Salo of the last year and a half. Conklin is playing alot better than Salo has in a long time.
You may be stating this, however a lot of the others want Salo out of here for a 2nd round pick, a bag of pucks, or a happy meal from McDonalds(ok I added that one in, but you get my point)

As stated above, Conklin has played well against teams that couldn't score if their life depended on it, and average against teams that can score. He still has to show his stuff against the elite teams, and work his way up the ladder like Salo did. I don't want to see Conklin rushed into anything.

Salo hasn't been great at all this season, but the team wasn't helping him at all either. Once the Oilers find their groove we will see how things are looking for the goaltenders.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:26 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
You may be stating this, however a lot of the others want Salo out of here for a 2nd round pick, a bag of pucks, or a happy meal from McDonalds(ok I added that one in, but you get my point)

As stated above, Conklin has played well against teams that couldn't score if their life depended on it, and average against teams that can score. He still has to show his stuff against the elite teams, and work his way up the ladder like Salo did. I don't want to see Conklin rushed into anything.

Salo hasn't been great at all this season, but the team wasn't helping him at all either. Once the Oilers find their groove we will see how things are looking for the goaltenders.
Agreed. I think that saying is our goalie savior because he kept two offensively inept teams to one goal a piece is VERY premature. I'll tell ya what... if he does that against the Nucks or Avs or any of he current 50 goal teams then fine, I'll agree with people after a couple times. But so far against two 40 goal teams he hasn't looked like a starter.... or an upgrade on Salo for that matter

Old
11-16-2003, 09:30 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
I don't think there are many around that think Conklin is our saviour in goal for the next few years. They are just very excited to have a guy who works hard, plays the puck well, and fills his role as a temp #1 goalie very well.

Why wouldn't the fans be excited? Until he proves otherwise, he seems to be a rather capable 1B goalie.

1B?Try capable backup but you are right that it's nice to see an Oiler goalie play the puck as well as Conklin does. They haven't had a goalie who could play the puck like this since they had good ol' Freddie!!!!!

Old
11-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Some good statements!

Yah, I would say that right now I would take Conks over Salo. However we are not going to deal Salo (cause there is no market).

I do like how Conks is able to handle that puck, and I do like the fire he shows and hard work.

I'll never forget the statement from training camps/pre-season, not an exact quote but something like "Every time we had to tell Conklin that we were sending him to Hamilton he looks at us like we were crazy" That is a sign of a good goalie in the works I think.

If you look historically this guy has played at top level no matter what level he's at (uscl, ncaa, ahl and hopefully nhl). From what I've seen from him so far he's not a flashy goalie, good puck handler, and seems to be able to make the saves he is supposed to. There are some aspects of his game that I'm not to sure of yet.

BTW, those of you looking at the flames game should know that the one goal he let was only because brew pushing Conks stick. Looking at the Bruins and Rangers game ... take a look at how many shots against he faced.

SM

Old
11-16-2003, 09:57 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101

BTW, those of you looking at the flames game should know that the one goal he let was only because brew pushing Conks stick. Looking at the Bruins and Rangers game ... take a look at how many shots against he faced.

SM
Salo faces a ton of shots on most nights as well,welcome to being a goalie in Edmonton. If he's going to let in 4 goals against teams with a good or decent offence then the Oil are going to lose most of those games. I don't want to seem like i'm taking anything away from Conklin but i just don't expect that much out of him at this stage. He does look like he might have some potential which is nice for a change from an Oiler goaltending prospect.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Salo faces a ton of shots on most nights as well,welcome to being a goalie in Edmonton. If he's going to let in 4 goals against teams with a good or decent offence then the Oil are going to lose most of those games. I don't want to seem like i'm taking anything away from Conklin but i just don't expect that much out of him at this stage. He does look like he might have some potential which is nice for a change from an Oiler goaltending prospect.
ok, but my point is that people are flagging conks for letting in 4 goals when he faced what? 39 shots?

Date Team Opp GP W L T Min GA SA SO GAA Sv%
10-Nov-03 Edm NYR 0 2 1 0 60 4 36 0 2.11 .928
11-Nov-03 Edm Bos 0 2 2 0 60 4 39 0 2.55 .919

I'm not saying that I expect a lot from Conks but he's definally shown more effort and ability to make the saves he's suppose to make *SO FAR* more than Salo (and you can't say that he hasn't let him goals that he should of had)

and I'll re-state as well that I don't expect anything from Conks, but so far he's shown that he deserves to be playing right now

SM
PS, and you don't have to remind me that a goalie in Edmonton can expect to see a lot of shots ......... I'm well aware :p

Old
11-16-2003, 10:27 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
PS, and you don't have to remind me that a goalie in Edmonton can expect to see a lot of shots ......... I'm well aware :p

I thought you might enjoy that!!!!!!!

Old
11-17-2003, 06:12 AM
xauxi

Many posters raised the confidence as an important factor for a goalie. I agree. How bout the confidence on the defenders on their goalie? The Oilers seem to lack of confidence on Salo when he is in the net than when Conk is in the net. We can see the difference by looking the defensive play between 2 goalies. With Conk in the net, I have seen defenders play with more confidence, more aggresive, more exciting..... on the other hand. Why is there this difference? because the players see and feel how their goalies perform.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:03 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
Many posters raised the confidence as an important factor for a goalie. I agree. How bout the confidence on the defenders on their goalie? The Oilers seem to lack of confidence on Salo when he is in the net than when Conk is in the net. We can see the difference by looking the defensive play between 2 goalies. With Conk in the net, I have seen defenders play with more confidence, more aggresive, more exciting..... on the other hand. Why is there this difference? because the players see and feel how their goalies perform.
The games in Boston and NY the defense was playing pretty much the same way it has all year...

Not too bad, but the problem isn't the quantity of chances, but the quality. The defense over the past 2 games has played better. fewer costly mistakes (but still the same amount of mistakes, if you know what I mean).

Take the Minnesota game... Gaborik has a breakaway (gasp!)... if you notice, Gaborik has to go along the side, he can't go up the middle. Now Gaborik is good enough to score on that play, but it isn't ideal, and the goalie does have the advantage. Against Ottawa, the Sens had breakaways right up the middle, which is a much tougher save. Now, both are breakaways, but in the Minnesota game, the defense is in a significantly better position to help out, which has been missing for the most part this year.

I think the team is finally starting to play a lot smarter in their own end... no chasing the puck carrier into the corner, and leaving someone untouched at the top of the crease.

Closed Thread