HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

LeBrun : Ryan Miller on Sabres' run, preseason hype

Old
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
LeBrun : Ryan Miller on Sabres' run, preseason hype

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...preseason-hype

Interesting short Q&A. Starting to see the Buffalo media take issue with comments like this from Miller:

Quote:
This year, a lot of opinion I normally avoid or ignore was dragged into the locker room by the media, and I took it hard.
Of course, they'll claim innocence, but really, when they spent two weeks asking him if he wanted to be traded because of his wife, you can't blame Miller from being a little annoyed by it. I wish our media would stop trying to be NY Post tabloid reporters and just do their damn jobs.

Since someone will post here saying that 'I don't want my goaltender to be affected by that stuff', I'll preemptively comment that these guys aren't robots, and of course these things affect them.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...preseason-hype

Interesting short Q&A. Starting to see the Buffalo media take issue with comments like this from Miller:

Of course, they'll claim innocence, but really, when they spent two weeks asking him if he wanted to be traded because of his wife, you can't blame Miller from being a little annoyed by it. I wish our media would stop trying to be NY Post tabloid reporters and just do their damn jobs.

Since someone will post here saying that 'I don't want my goaltender to be affected by that stuff', I'll preemptively comment that these guys aren't robots, and of course these things affect them.
I'd feel better about it if the Buffalo sports media was by and large decent, but it's not at all.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The comments about the team defense and this:

Quote:
But we are becoming more effective as we gain confidence in our game. This team is starting to look like a team that can achieve. I always just expect attention to detail and a competitive attitude from our teams. We didn't have that early on. We are gaining some back now.
... point to what we see where the forwards are actually doing their damn job defensively now, as compared to the float-a-thon earlier in the year.

Quote:
All of which came when we started being a more responsible team. Knowing my guys are around me allows me to read the play and commit to saves. Without them, I have to cover more options, and the odds of making a save or second save aren't as good. Having the boys cover my back and work hard makes my job easier. Every goalie in history is a reflection of how well his team plays the game. It is a team sport, and a team effort is needed to win. I just need to do my part.
Chicken or the egg. But both build on one another as he points out.

03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Agreed. I thought it was quite telling and informative for being so short.

Maybe we could get these kind of answers when our local guys ask questions if they could manage to not be such jerks about it.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The comments about the team defense and this:

... point to what we see where the forwards are actually doing their damn job defensively now, as compared to the float-a-thon earlier in the year.

Chicken or the egg. But both build on one another as he points out.
This would be the likely reason why

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=46585445

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Agreed. I thought it was quite telling and informative for being so short.

Maybe we could get these kind of answers when our local guys ask questions if they could manage to not be such jerks about it.
Maybe if they weren't terrible journalists and didn't ask extremely leading questions to which the result 99% of the time is the players framing their answers in clichéd sound bytes because the 'journalist' has already assumed what the answer is going to be.

Even Hamilton, whose opinion on hockey I generally respect, does it all of the time. They only seem to be interested in hearing the players say what they lead them to say.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Every goalie in history is a reflection of how well his team plays the game.
couldn't agree more Ryan...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

I think it speaks to the overall immaturity of our team. I don't mean that to be pejorative, just stating the fact that we are, by NHL standards, an extremely young team still. These guys were labeled as Cup Contenders and one of the elite before the season ever started, and it looked like they bought into their own hype. Maybe it took a string of horrible, crushing road losses for them to get their heads screwed on straight. Miller seems to think so.

The core of this team has been around for a while, but when you look at some ages (guys 25 or under):

Ennis
Foligno
Gerbe
Hodgson
Kaleta
Myers
Sekera
Weber
Enroth

So that's 41% of the 22-man roster being 25 or younger. And we only have three guys who are 30+: Leopold, Regehr, and Hecht. Compare that to, say, Philly, who have the same number of young guys but more vet leaders (eight 30+). Or Detroit, who have 10 guys 30+ and only five who are 25 or younger.

The core has been around for a while but these guys are still immature. Not that it's good to have a bunch of geezers running around, but it does help to have some veteran leaders who have been around the block a time or two. We don't have that and I think Miller's comments totally speak to it. These guys heard the hype, thought they could just show up, and only after constantly getting beat down did they decide to put their heads down and just work hard and play.

You wonder what having a guy like Tomas Holmstrom or Kimmo Timonen or, screw it, Danny Briere could do for this team on the mental side of things.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
[url]Of course, they'll claim innocence, but really, when they spent two weeks asking him if he wanted to be traded because of his wife, you can't blame Miller from being a little annoyed by it. I wish our media would stop trying to be NY Post tabloid reporters and just do their damn jobs.
With the exception of Sullivan, who seems on a mission to create controversy and arguments in everything he covers, I think the TBN and WGR reporters are generally fair in praising the Sabres when they do well and criticizing them when they don't. As Harrington often defends the TBN coverage, "they just write based on how the team plays".

That said, there's no denying that several of them (Gleason, Hamilton and Harrington) do get hung up with promoting their own agendas about certain players (and/or Ruff-Regier) and banging certain drums repeatedly in an effort to win over more people to their side. It's no secret that Harrington has been lobbying for Miller to get traded for some time so Miller's frustration with stuff coming from him isn't surprising.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

To me, it's all about how they ask the questions.

For example, when it came to asking Miller about the trade rumors, there was NO reason to REPEATEDLY bring up Noreen like they did. Again. And again. What was the point?

This is one of the things I loved about Jim Kelley. For something like this, Kelley would have broached the trade rumors, but left out the personal stuff. He might have asked the question privately and off the record, once, but the players respected that he'd keep that info to himself.

Now, these beat reporters keep asking BS questions, and repeating them until they get something they want.

In addition, I think Bucky's 'GM for a Day' columns completely blow up the relationship between the team and media. It's one thing for a player to have to read about how he should be traded in the papers, but to read Bucky complain about the money they make doing it? If I'm a player that busted my rear to make $2M a year, and I think I'm worth that, how am I going to react to reading his tripe about how I should be kept only for $750k? I'm certainly not going to want to give those reporters much of anything in the information department.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
To me, it's all about how they ask the questions.
Exactly, well put. It seems to me that instead of trying to report on what's actually happening, they're just trying to further their own opinions.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Better Call Saul

Harrington and Gleason are two of the biggest morons in the hockey media.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Gert B Frobe

I thought that the preseason expectations were ridiculous based on what I thought were minor additions in the off season. Leino Regher Enroth added to what was a pretty bad 1 and done team that couldn't beat a slumping Flyers team with the worst goalies in the league - why they were picked to win the northeast is beyond me. Don't get me wrong - they should be a playoff team and Miller's crappy play earlier in the season cost them at least a handful of games. Add 8-10 wasted points all on Miller alone and then this team is just a minor disappointment - not the dumpster fire it is now.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I thought that the preseason expectations were ridiculous based on what I thought were minor additions in the off season. Leino Regher Enroth added to what was a pretty bad 1 and done team that couldn't beat a slumping Flyers team with the worst goalies in the league - why they were picked to win the northeast is beyond me. Don't get me wrong - they should be a playoff team and Miller's crappy play earlier in the season cost them at least a handful of games. Add 8-10 wasted points all on Miller alone and then this team is just a minor disappointment - not the dumpster fire it is now.
Leino
Regehr
Erhoff
Enroth

1/3 of your defense, new backup goaltender, new (supposed to be) starting center. That's a LOT of turnover for one season, especially at defense.

Minor additions they were not.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Leino
Regehr
Erhoff
Enroth

1/3 of your defense, new backup goaltender, new (supposed to be) starting center. That's a LOT of turnover for one season, especially at defense.

Minor additions they were not.
Agreed

The preseason expectations were also founded not only on the 3 new acquisitions but largely on the big seasons Stafford and Gerbe had last season, plus Roy's point-per-game play that was expected to resume with him being healthy.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote