HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

P90X vs Insanity

Old
03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Halifaxhab

vCash: 500
I have done both and they are great for upgrading your fitness level. I was fairly fit before trying these as I am military and have to pass certain levels of fitness just to keep my job.

P90X increased overall fitness and flexibility, Insanity drove my cardio levels up but did nothing for strength or flexibility. My 10K run time was cut by over 10 minutes after one round of insanity from 49min to 38min20sec (and I didn't do a single run during that time)

I then tried both at the same time. That did great wonders. After the summer skating was easy and I am still a fairly big guy (6ft 210lb- 33yo at the time) and I was faster than most in my league and they are all much younger and smaller than I.

So as a recreational to semi-competitive player, these programs will do wonders for you. Especially if you work on your dietary intake.

But if you are a serious player looking to have a career. You'll need more than these. But it's a good start point

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I have done both and they are great for upgrading your fitness level. I was fairly fit before trying these as I am military and have to pass certain levels of fitness just to keep my job.

P90X increased overall fitness and flexibility, Insanity drove my cardio levels up but did nothing for strength or flexibility. My 10K run time was cut by over 10 minutes after one round of insanity from 49min to 38min20sec (and I didn't do a single run during that time)

I then tried both at the same time. That did great wonders. After the summer skating was easy and I am still a fairly big guy (6ft 210lb- 33yo at the time) and I was faster than most in my league and they are all much younger and smaller than I.

So as a recreational to semi-competitive player, these programs will do wonders for you. Especially if you work on your dietary intake.

But if you are a serious player looking to have a career. You'll need more than these. But it's a good start point
What is your body fat %? Do you run regularly when you weren't doing the program? That is an incredibly good 10k time.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
What is your body fat %? Do you run regularly when you weren't doing the program? That is an incredibly good 10k time.
12%

yes, I do alot of running. Actually have done a triathalon

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Lososaurus

Between the two? I'd say Insanity. It has a greater focus on cardio and anaerobic exercise plus lots of plyometrics for quick burst speed. It isn't as much of a full body workout as p90x, but takes much less time per day. You could spend that time on specific exercises to work your core and upper body.

Ultimately though, any off ice program will help whether its videos, a gym or a personal trainer. Every pound you shed is a pound you don't have to haul across the ice.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Never tried Insanity but my experience with p90x over the last year I'd feel is fairly positive.

I'm recreational athlete... going to the gym rarely lasted longer than 1-3 months. However, at one point decided I had been sitting on couch too long and picked up P90X as something to start off with in the apartment.

That at least got me moving again, summer came - played Ultimate a couple nights a week, probably dropped P90X after a couple weeks but it was a kickstarter.

Then I ended up going over to the UK - had access to a gym, and actually used the P90X videos there to build workouts around, and kept going to the gym for 6 months solid until I moved back. Because I'm not playing hockey much and focus was more on overall tone than building mass or power - this worked out well for me. Only really used the shoulders/back, chest/arms, abs videos though. Mix that in with a few classes at a gym and saw a solid overall improvement.

So of course comes down to your goals and what you're looking for. I don't think I'd ever go through the full 90 days exactly to schedule, but for achieving my own personal goals the videos are worth it and provide results as I'm able to actually keep going to a gym for longer than I used to.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
hlaverty06

I'm buying insanity today..wish me luck...

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I'm buying insanity today..wish me luck...
i wish you sanity.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Islanderfan17

Pretty simple:

Insanity is for Cardio

P90X is more for a balance of strength and endurance

If you were to do both, I'd do P90x first, and then do Insanity. I've done P90X and got some decent results from it, though it gets repetitive. I'm moving on to Cross Fit now, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have the time and money to commit.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

I never tried P90x myself, but I can comment on Insanity.

I loved it. I've always been fit due to my boxing/soccer background, and I have no trouble admitting this Insanity workout was a harder than it certainly looked. Never tried a home system like this before.

For people saying Insanity is for cardio, can't say it really isn't that simple. I became faster, stronger, explosive right after the whole program. Just remember, there are a lot of plyometrics in this workout as well. When I got back to weight training, I was lifting more and more significantly, my leg exercises were much improved.

I know most people use this to lose weight, but I gained about 12 pounds my first time trying Insanity. Some of my pants weren't fitting after the first month. lol. My core was quite improved after the 9 weeks. That's the thing though, it's very core intensive, and it can neglect many other muscles.

With that said, I go back and forth from Insanity to weights. And it's certainly helped me be as fit as I've ever been.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote