HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 01:46 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
I dont care for Gregor much anymore. His voice irritates me. Especially when he gets excited. Nothing personal, I mean he seems like a nice/regular guy and all.

Brownlee has been disappointing in a lot of ways too. Seems like he is mailing it in these days. I guess it would be hard to "bring it" all time, but some people do, like Rome for instance. Whether you love or hate him, youve got to recognize and acknowledge the passing the guy brings to each and every show.

Nielson and Spector are my favourites. The morning show is starting to bug me again. Frasier is way too agreeable with Nielson or vice/versa and it makes the show dull imo. Nothing against either guy.

I appreciate the pipeline show when I get a chance to listen to it. Lots of good content on there, and although I mostly disagree with a lot of the views Dean and Guy have about various prospects, I really do appreciate their show as it is quite unique and has lots of valuable info pretty much every week.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I've never actually read the comments myself but I've heard about blogs on Oilers Nation where it became obvious in the comments section that Gregor/Brownlee and Tencer/Morley Scott don't really get along very well. Something about the ched guys looking down on the 1260 guys. If that's the case...I don't know why they do. Tencer is CHED's 2nd best guy after Stauffer and I'd listen to Gregor, Spector, Neilson, Fraser and Graham all before him.

The only time I listen to Tencer is on Overtime Open Line every once in a while and it's really just so I can talk to my buddy at work about how annoying Tencer/Brown are. They get in these "goofy" moods where they think they're being hilarious but they're probably the only guys in the whole city laughing....but for some reason, that whole scenario is hilarious to me.
I don't understand why radio guys can't get along, but TSN and Sportsnet guys seem to have no problem being friends in this city.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Gregor is too full of himself for me. He also covers so much obscure stuff that I don't give a rats ass about so I generally avoid his show.

Tencer knows what the people in town want - Oilers in the winter and Oilers + Eskimos in the summer.

Who cares about college football and all the other crap?
Obviously a lot of people or they would've never expanded Gregor's show.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Wow, it sure is hard to please y'all. Judgemental lot. I just listen and enjoy, whatver they talk about, they talk about. I'm just happy we have 24 hour sports talk with lots of hockey discussion in the first place. Amazing the amount of complaints I'm reading here. Its really not that bad.

Although one thing I will comment about is the so called "Hall of Fame report" with Terry Jones and Jim Matheson. I listen anyways and it doesn't bother me in the least, but boy are these guys ever complete hacks. Especially Terry Jones. They literally say and know nothing, and sound so tired and lethargic when they speak. I can learn more about the past, present and future of the team and the league in 5 minutes on HF than I can listening to 5 hours of them. They're lucky they got to come along for the ride 25 years ago, lol.

Last edited by Philly85: 03-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Wow, it sure is hard to please y'all. Judgemental lot. I just listen and enjoy, whatver they talk about, they talk about. I'm just happy we have 24 hour sports talk with lots of hockey discussion in the first place. Amazing the amount of complaints I'm reading here. Its really not that bad.

Although one thing I will comment about is the so called "Hall of Fame report" with Terry Jones and Jim Matheson. I listen anyways and it doesn't bother me in the least, but boy are these guys ever complete hacks. Especially Terry Jones. They literally say and know nothing, and sound so tired and lethargic when they speak. I can learn more about the past, present and future of the team and the league in 5 minutes on HF than I can listening to 5 hours of them. They're lucky they got to come along for the ride 25 years ago, lol.
JM and TJ know very little since ST took over. They try come off as guys that know stuff, but it's really just their opinion.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
JM and TJ know very little since ST took over. They try come off as guys that know stuff, but it's really just their opinion.
They arent the only ones. Nobody knows what goes on anymore.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
They arent the only ones. Nobody knows what goes on anymore.
Sure, but then don't post your opinion as a rumor.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Truth Movement

Don't know why, but my favorite guy is Rishaug. I can't even put my finger on it, but he's my favorite 1260 analyst.

I don't mind Brownlee, it's actually his writing I have issues with. It seems like he just argues both sides against the middle without ever making a definitive point.

Gregor's OK. Sometimes his shows are solid - he's a terrific interviewer - but he can be a dope at times. Spector is a guy whose attitude I like, sardonic as all hell, but I sometimes get the feeling he's not terribly informed, like he couldn't be bothered to learn things that everybody else knows.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Don't know why, but my favorite guy is Rishaug. I can't even put my finger on it, but he's my favorite 1260 analyst.

I don't mind Brownlee, it's actually his writing I have issues with. It seems like he just argues both sides against the middle without ever making a definitive point.

Gregor's OK. Sometimes his shows are solid - he's a terrific interviewer - but he can be a dope at times. Spector is a guy whose attitude I like, sardonic as all hell, but I sometimes get the feeling he's not terribly informed, like he couldn't be bothered to learn things that everybody else knows.
Brownlee is bi-polar. On the radio he is one guy, but when he writes and then comments on ON I just want to punch him in the face.

I like Rishaug too, he seems very professional. Even when he is 100% right, he will take the beating and take the high road.

I like Gregor, because he asks the questions the fans want to know, he has great interviews and he knows more than just CFL and NHL.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Fraser had some real good points though. Like how PRV started the year on the PP and PK and Smyth was on fire so Smyth bumped PRV. Fraser went onto say if you feel Smyth is taking a job away fine, but don't act like injuries won't happen and PRV or whoever is going to be stuck in the AHL all year.

The real problem is what do you do when you let Smyth walk because you think PRV is good enough for the top 6. Then either PRV stinks it up like he did this year or Hall goes down? Now what you left with on the left side?
Actually I have listened to Fraser filling in on other programs and I appreciate the thought he seems to put into his opinions.

He should be utilized more by the station.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

LOL at the Millhouse reference for Tencer.

Absolutely perfect.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
LOL at the Millhouse reference for Tencer.

Absolutely perfect.
You didn't hear that one before? I use to call him that all the time until I was advised not to make fun of posters that don't appear to post anyways.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I get why you lump these guys together given their lackluster radio appearances but doing so is a little unfair. In his day Jim Matheson was a damn good beat writer which is why the HHoF recognized his many years covering the Oilers for the Journal. Now that he's more of a columnist, he's far more speculative than he used to be. Terry Jones on the other hand, is a longstanding hack. He's always been more interested in travelling, socializing, and occasionally stirring up controversy than being informative. How Jones got into the Hockey Hall of Fame is a mystery to me- especially seeing that he never even pretended to be a hockey writer before his induction.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
You didn't hear that one before? I use to call him that all the time until I was advised not to make fun of posters that don't appear to post anyways.
I must of missed all that drama.

Well done...thats the perfect description of that arrogant little blowhard.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
PigeonCamera

On Gregor

I think I prefer Spector in general.

I find Gregor best when Brownlee is in studio or he has Rishaug or Spector on air too.

When he's doing his solo thing, and interviewing someone, I get the sense, with the long pauses, that he isn't even listening to the answers. He asks his question, the guest answers...there's occasionally this long pause as Gregor seems to be reaching for a response. Like he's distracted.

Regarding the Millhouse comment: Regardless of where it originated, I think it's funny. But for Gregor to stoop to name calling was kind of pathetic. Both him and Tencer looked like a couple of immature children. And there was certainly enough ****** to go around. I've never been the biggest Gregor fan, but I don't mind him...there are some decent moments. But this stuff just irritates me.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:04 PM
OilerFan4Life

Gregor is terrific. Tencer is a know-it-all who everyone else in the media hates.

They need to settle this in the octagon. I'd take Gregor with a TKO in the 1st round.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Gregor is terrific. Tencer is a know-it-all who everyone else in the media hates.

They need to settle this in the octagon. I'd take Gregor with a TKO in the 1st round.
I think Tencer pisses his shorts before making it out and has a panic attack.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Dunno if i misheard b/c at first they say Hemsky didnt have a NMC or NTC. But i heard Gregor now saying he has a NMC in his new contract.

Also PJ Stock was saying how the Habs waited until the Blues were in town to give Price his molson award or something. That way they can show it off to Halak.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Dunno if i misheard b/c at first they say Hemsky didnt have a NMC or NTC. But i heard Gregor now saying he has a NMC in his new contract.

Also PJ Stock was saying how the Habs waited until the Blues were in town to give Price his molson award or something. That way they can show it off to Halak.
Are you sure?

Old
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Philly85
Moody'

i heard Gregor say the same thing after his interview with PJ, that some time after the draft/free agency, his NTC/NMC kicks in. That's what he said.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Asher

Right after Hemsky was signed Tambo was asked point blank if there was a NTC and his answer was no. If there is a NTC then Tambo is guilty of lying (which I find hard to believe).

Old
03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post
right after hemsky was signed tambo was asked point blank if there was a ntc and his answer was no. If there is a ntc then tambo is guilty of lying (which i find hard to believe).
nmc =/ ntc

Old
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Asher

Quote:
nmc =/ ntc
That would still be a purposely deceptive thing for Tambo to say.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
That would still be a purposely deceptive thing for Tambo to say.
No not really if someone asked if he had a NMC then he would be lying. no one asked

Old
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
barto

Gregor and Meg Morrison were a terrible combination in my opinion... too easily got off onto some non-sports tangent for WAY too long. I can see it for 30 seconds, maybe a minute, but remember why you're there.

I could listen to Mark Spector a LOT, and his segments with Gregor are my favorite parts of Gregor's show. JG is hard to listen to for very long (voice, arrogance). Would still take him over Tencer, of course.

And good job on whoever mentioned Rishaug - pretty much always like his stuff, too.

Closed Thread