HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs win 4-3 in Shootout

Old
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Al14

vCash: 500
I just don't understand tank nation.

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

I just don't understand any fan that cheers against his own team.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Sundinforever13

lol @ frost referencing the last leafs/habs game and the loser coming out in dead last.

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Crispy Crust

Rangers
Hurricanes
Flyers
Sabres
Sabres
Lightning
Habs

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whydidijoin*

21-year old top prospect for the Leafs scores, gets shootout winner, and has all around good game.

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
why are they trying to win? /facepalm
Because any player caught not trying to win would be bounced right out of the league.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
21-year old top prospect for the Leafs scores, gets shootout winner, and has all around good game.

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.
It's pretty pathetic actually and I want them to tank. When a big part of the teams future has a great game, I can't be upset.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.
When we are in a playoff spot it would have been Kovalchuk goal in OT, so what does it matter now

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
It's pretty pathetic actually and I want them to tank. When a big part of the teams future has a great game, I can't be upset.
Thats because you are an actual fan of hockey

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
why are they trying to win? /facepalm
They are just doing what comes naturally. They are trying to be non-losers.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

Of course no fan thinks that a professional hockey player or team is going to lose on purpose. That being said as someone who wants a lottery pick rather than the usual middling draft pick the last sentence of yours that I bolded is what is so frustrating. Where was the effort when they had a playoff position and then just went into a tank of a huge proportion that teams like the Islanders,the old Thrashers or the Bolts would have given grudging admiration to. Where was the highest level of play versus Boston every single game this season? That is the frustration that tankers have. Basically most of us are sick of the same old same old with this franchise. Be nice to see a real top notch pick in the draft. Last one was Wendel Clark drafted first overall 27 years ago.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

How people can complain about Kadri scoring a filthy a goal in the SO and let Connolly's goal go unnoticed is beyond me.

Kadri is slick and is going to be a solid top 6er for us real soon.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Sundinforever13

yess!! mike in buffalo supporting tank nation

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Melrose Munch

oh wow. we won. nice.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Erdinger

Mike in Buffalo isn't going to jump off a bridge yet. Too bad

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:

For the better of the team in the long run.

If we win the remainder of our games, we still wont win the Stanley Cup. The result of the season will be a failure.

If we finish in the lottery, and then win, we get an asset that is more likely to help us win the Stanley Cup than the guy we will get at #6 or wherever we finish.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
TMV 76
Rookie User

couldn't agree more

TMV 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Borschevsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Of course no fan thinks that a professional hockey player or team is going to lose on purpose. That being said as someone who wants a lottery pick rather than the usual middling draft pick the last sentence of yours that I bolded is what is so frustrating. Where was the effort when they had a playoff position and then just went into a tank of a huge proportion that teams like the Islanders,the old Thrashers or the Bolts would have given grudging admiration to. Where was the highest level of play versus Boston every single game this season? That is the frustration that tankers have. Basically most of us are sick of the same old same old with this franchise. Be nice to see a real top notch pick in the draft. Last one was Wendel Clark drafted first overall 27 years ago.
I will have to agree with this post. It seems some anti-tankers just don't get it. Most pro-tankers don't actually believe the team will lose on purpose. I don't even know why you guys keep reiterating that. It's about the constant frustration with this team and the losing when it counts and winning when it doesn't.

Remember all the talk about late season surges equaling a winning environment that will help in the long run? Yeah, that's worked great, hasn't it?

Seriously, we have this same conversation every year. We have this same scenario play out every year. We're stuck in the same spot every year. And yet, the anti-tankers take offense to us wanting to see something different for a change?

Borschevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
catgoldfish

Say what you will about Kadri. We haven't had a guy like him for a long time. Mogilny or Berezin maybe. He may not be the grittiest player in the world but he's got heart. See how excited he gets after he scores. Stuff like that rubs off on other guys. Love it.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
eyeball11

Quote:

You sir, are a man. Keep up the good work and never go down the road of the losers.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileZola View Post
I can't wait to draft this guy:

Oh, wait.
Point him out

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
How people can complain about Kadri scoring a filthy a goal in the SO and let Connolly's goal go unnoticed is beyond me.

Kadri is slick and is going to be a solid top 6er for us real soon.
He's been declared a bust by Leafs Nation, already. Didn't you get the memo?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

IMO, this team is way better than record suggests. Brian Burke has done a B+ grade job on the roster he inherited. Coaching too is one of the best. Goalies are average but workable. Forwards are talented enough to score 230 goals a season. Defense and prospects in system are of a playoff team.

The biggest bummer on this team is lack of leadership. Not lack of talent. The team went wrong way and the team leadership couldn't step up to the occasion. Leafs need someone who is a true captain. On and off the ice. It's been 40+ years since Leafs stripped C of a player; but Phaneuf doesn't look like the guy who can lead this team to glory. May be, give it to Lupul after december next year? (if he performs on ice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
So thats thomas x2, miller, brodeur, missing any other major goalie that kadri has scored on?
Next up. Lundqvist at ACC

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
For the better of the team in the long run.

If we win the remainder of our games, we still wont win the Stanley Cup. The result of the season will be a failure.

If we finish in the lottery, and then win, we get an asset that is more likely to help us win the Stanley Cup than the guy we will get at #6 or wherever we finish.
Sounds great in theory, but that assumes players, coaches, and management will actually go out and conspire to lose the last whatever number of games in order to get the best possible draft position. Sorry, but that's the land of make-believe, not reality.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

The players will never try to lose.

If you are a player on the Leafs you want to keep your job. If a top end talent comes in, someone loses their job. So they dont care who the Leafs draft.

But the coaching staff and management can put the team in the best situation to lose games. Suddenly call a bunch of guys up from the minors to "see what we have". Play a goalie with very little experience. Give minutes to guys who cant handle it.

The players will still try to win, but you just increase the chances of them losing.

There is a school of thought that constant losing can be bad for a team's development, but I dont see any value in going 3-7 in your last 10 vs going 1-9. I dont think the 3 and 7 team will go into the off season with their heads held high.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
I will have to agree with this post. It seems some anti-tankers just don't get it. Most pro-tankers don't actually believe the team will lose on purpose. I don't even know why you guys keep reiterating that. It's about the constant frustration with this team and the losing when it counts and winning when it doesn't.

Remember all the talk about late season surges equaling a winning environment that will help in the long run? Yeah, that's worked great, hasn't it?

Seriously, we have this same conversation every year. We have this same scenario play out every year. We're stuck in the same spot every year. And yet, the anti-tankers take offense to us wanting to see something different for a change?
Perhaps the tankers don't get it? There's numerous teams (in fact most of the best teams) who never have to tank to get there (Detroit, New Jersey, Philly, San Jose, etc.). Perhaps the "anti-tankers" want 100% from their team every night and solid drafting from whatever position they end up in?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote