HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs win 4-3 in Shootout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
  #126
Al14
Registered User
 
Al14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nepean
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 500
I just don't understand tank nation.

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

I just don't understand any fan that cheers against his own team.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:30 PM
  #127
Sundinforever13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
lol @ frost referencing the last leafs/habs game and the loser coming out in dead last.

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #128
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,493
vCash: 500
Rangers
Hurricanes
Flyers
Sabres
Sabres
Lightning
Habs

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #129
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
21-year old top prospect for the Leafs scores, gets shootout winner, and has all around good game.

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #130
keonsbitterness
Registered User
 
keonsbitterness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
why are they trying to win? /facepalm
Because any player caught not trying to win would be bounced right out of the league.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #131
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
21-year old top prospect for the Leafs scores, gets shootout winner, and has all around good game.

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.
It's pretty pathetic actually and I want them to tank. When a big part of the teams future has a great game, I can't be upset.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
  #132
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul
 
Dirty Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto,in ur crease
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
21-year old top prospect for the Leafs scores, gets shootout winner, and has all around good game.

Leaf fans are outraged.

More at 11.
When we are in a playoff spot it would have been Kovalchuk goal in OT, so what does it matter now

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
  #133
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
It's pretty pathetic actually and I want them to tank. When a big part of the teams future has a great game, I can't be upset.
Thats because you are an actual fan of hockey

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
  #134
rimshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of South Mtn.
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
why are they trying to win? /facepalm
They are just doing what comes naturally. They are trying to be non-losers.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
  #135
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I just don't understand tank nation.

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

I just don't understand any fan that cheers against his own team.
Of course no fan thinks that a professional hockey player or team is going to lose on purpose. That being said as someone who wants a lottery pick rather than the usual middling draft pick the last sentence of yours that I bolded is what is so frustrating. Where was the effort when they had a playoff position and then just went into a tank of a huge proportion that teams like the Islanders,the old Thrashers or the Bolts would have given grudging admiration to. Where was the highest level of play versus Boston every single game this season? That is the frustration that tankers have. Basically most of us are sick of the same old same old with this franchise. Be nice to see a real top notch pick in the draft. Last one was Wendel Clark drafted first overall 27 years ago.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
  #136
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
How people can complain about Kadri scoring a filthy a goal in the SO and let Connolly's goal go unnoticed is beyond me.

Kadri is slick and is going to be a solid top 6er for us real soon.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
  #137
Sundinforever13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
yess!! mike in buffalo supporting tank nation

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
  #138
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,453
vCash: 500
oh wow. we won. nice.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
  #139
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Mike in Buffalo isn't going to jump off a bridge yet. Too bad

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
  #140
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I just don't understand tank nation.

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

I just don't understand any fan that cheers against his own team.
For the better of the team in the long run.

If we win the remainder of our games, we still wont win the Stanley Cup. The result of the season will be a failure.

If we finish in the lottery, and then win, we get an asset that is more likely to help us win the Stanley Cup than the guy we will get at #6 or wherever we finish.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
  #141
TMV 76
Rookie User
 
TMV 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
couldn't agree more

TMV 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:56 PM
  #142
Borschevsky
Registered User
 
Borschevsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Of course no fan thinks that a professional hockey player or team is going to lose on purpose. That being said as someone who wants a lottery pick rather than the usual middling draft pick the last sentence of yours that I bolded is what is so frustrating. Where was the effort when they had a playoff position and then just went into a tank of a huge proportion that teams like the Islanders,the old Thrashers or the Bolts would have given grudging admiration to. Where was the highest level of play versus Boston every single game this season? That is the frustration that tankers have. Basically most of us are sick of the same old same old with this franchise. Be nice to see a real top notch pick in the draft. Last one was Wendel Clark drafted first overall 27 years ago.
I will have to agree with this post. It seems some anti-tankers just don't get it. Most pro-tankers don't actually believe the team will lose on purpose. I don't even know why you guys keep reiterating that. It's about the constant frustration with this team and the losing when it counts and winning when it doesn't.

Remember all the talk about late season surges equaling a winning environment that will help in the long run? Yeah, that's worked great, hasn't it?

Seriously, we have this same conversation every year. We have this same scenario play out every year. We're stuck in the same spot every year. And yet, the anti-tankers take offense to us wanting to see something different for a change?

Borschevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
  #143
catgoldfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Say what you will about Kadri. We haven't had a guy like him for a long time. Mogilny or Berezin maybe. He may not be the grittiest player in the world but he's got heart. See how excited he gets after he scores. Stuff like that rubs off on other guys. Love it.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
  #144
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I just don't understand tank nation.

As a certified hockey coach, I've always coached to win every game. I've always tried to instill a winning attitude with my players.

You just can't expect an NHL team to roll over and lose. The players are not taught to pick and chose when to win or lose. It's their job to play at the highest level at all times.

I just don't understand any fan that cheers against his own team.
You sir, are a man. Keep up the good work and never go down the road of the losers.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
  #145
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileZola View Post
I can't wait to draft this guy:



Oh, wait.
Point him out

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  #146
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
How people can complain about Kadri scoring a filthy a goal in the SO and let Connolly's goal go unnoticed is beyond me.

Kadri is slick and is going to be a solid top 6er for us real soon.
He's been declared a bust by Leafs Nation, already. Didn't you get the memo?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  #147
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 500
IMO, this team is way better than record suggests. Brian Burke has done a B+ grade job on the roster he inherited. Coaching too is one of the best. Goalies are average but workable. Forwards are talented enough to score 230 goals a season. Defense and prospects in system are of a playoff team.

The biggest bummer on this team is lack of leadership. Not lack of talent. The team went wrong way and the team leadership couldn't step up to the occasion. Leafs need someone who is a true captain. On and off the ice. It's been 40+ years since Leafs stripped C of a player; but Phaneuf doesn't look like the guy who can lead this team to glory. May be, give it to Lupul after december next year? (if he performs on ice)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
So thats thomas x2, miller, brodeur, missing any other major goalie that kadri has scored on?
Next up. Lundqvist at ACC

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  #148
keonsbitterness
Registered User
 
keonsbitterness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
For the better of the team in the long run.

If we win the remainder of our games, we still wont win the Stanley Cup. The result of the season will be a failure.

If we finish in the lottery, and then win, we get an asset that is more likely to help us win the Stanley Cup than the guy we will get at #6 or wherever we finish.
Sounds great in theory, but that assumes players, coaches, and management will actually go out and conspire to lose the last whatever number of games in order to get the best possible draft position. Sorry, but that's the land of make-believe, not reality.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
  #149
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
The players will never try to lose.

If you are a player on the Leafs you want to keep your job. If a top end talent comes in, someone loses their job. So they dont care who the Leafs draft.

But the coaching staff and management can put the team in the best situation to lose games. Suddenly call a bunch of guys up from the minors to "see what we have". Play a goalie with very little experience. Give minutes to guys who cant handle it.

The players will still try to win, but you just increase the chances of them losing.

There is a school of thought that constant losing can be bad for a team's development, but I dont see any value in going 3-7 in your last 10 vs going 1-9. I dont think the 3 and 7 team will go into the off season with their heads held high.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
  #150
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
I will have to agree with this post. It seems some anti-tankers just don't get it. Most pro-tankers don't actually believe the team will lose on purpose. I don't even know why you guys keep reiterating that. It's about the constant frustration with this team and the losing when it counts and winning when it doesn't.

Remember all the talk about late season surges equaling a winning environment that will help in the long run? Yeah, that's worked great, hasn't it?

Seriously, we have this same conversation every year. We have this same scenario play out every year. We're stuck in the same spot every year. And yet, the anti-tankers take offense to us wanting to see something different for a change?
Perhaps the tankers don't get it? There's numerous teams (in fact most of the best teams) who never have to tank to get there (Detroit, New Jersey, Philly, San Jose, etc.). Perhaps the "anti-tankers" want 100% from their team every night and solid drafting from whatever position they end up in?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.