HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No More Nancy Drew

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
  #76
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Props to Miller as well. HUGE save on Richards right before Ennis' backbreaking goal. Everything is just clicking. This Foligno kid is something special. Getting his jersey for sure.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
  #77
omglolnub
Registered User
 
omglolnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Something not talked about much lately.

Remember all the criticism Ted Black and more important Terry Pegula got ~2 months ago for saying injuries were a big part of their poor play?

Obviously it was much more than that, but good on the team for backing up their owner after he backed up them.
But...but...but...



omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:40 PM
  #78
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Maybe people aren't talking about Miller so much tonight because we have gotten used to him being very much on form for quite a while now. But yes, he was really strong tonight and made a number of timely saves.


Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
  #79
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Leino looks absolutely nothing like he did for the first half of the season. He's close to being "all there" and gearing up for playoff form by the looks of it.

And he plays bigger than he is.
He's not small (listed at 6'1", 190 lbs) but he plays a bit bigger than that, or so it seems.

Guys like Tropp, Foligno, and Leino will play a big part in any playoff success we have, and a lot of that won't involve the score sheet.

The way Foligno and Tropp are playing right now alone makes us a different team than we have been for most of the season.
ummmm yes and no. The thing about Leino that gets on my nerves even now, is that he is ALWAYS embellishing contact for calls. Not full blown Dives, but just as annoying to me. Watch him lose an edge on one of his skates but not fall when he gets bumped. I don't know if that's just some quirky thing he does to maintain balance. But it looks like he's tugging on the refs heart strings to me. If it is deliberate embellishment (and I'm convinced it is), he should do it randomly and not all the time. Maybe then he might get a call, but it's a cry wolf situation right now.

On the other hand, he can be slippery and tough to check when he knows he has the upper hand size wise or if he's got fresher legs.

He's a smart player, but I think he needs to play with more discretion. For lack of a better word.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:42 PM
  #80
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Something not talked about much lately.

Remember all the criticism Ted Black and more important Terry Pegula got ~2 months ago for saying injuries were a big part of their poor play?

Obviously it was much more than that, but good on the team for backing up their owner after he backed up them.
I do remember Pegula saying something in the way of Ryan Miller sometime before the trade deadline when things were heating up...something along the lines that no one on the team was untradeable....Seems like we've been playing well since around that time...hmmmm

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
  #81
Ham
Registered User
 
Ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
NHL.com has as the heading "Staff Party" for the win tonight... I for one think "Staff Infection" was a missed opportunity!

Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
  #82
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 500
Hodgson has really come into his own in the last few games. I love that Ruff had been giving him PK minutes almost from the get go. That trust seemed to pay off tonight with Coho getting top PK minutes and playing well. He played 18+min tonight (2nd game in a row) and looked great.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:18 PM
  #83
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,499
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I do remember Pegula saying something in the way of Ryan Miller sometime before the trade deadline when things were heating up...something along the lines that no one on the team was untradeable....Seems like we've been playing well since around that time...hmmmm
That was Ted Black I believe.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
  #84
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Hodgson has really come into his own in the last few games. I love that Ruff had been giving him PK minutes almost from the get go. That trust seemed to pay off tonight with Coho getting top PK minutes and playing well. He played 18+min tonight (2nd game in a row) and looked great.
Yup, he looked fantastic. Really happy with that acquisition, him and Ennis may be one fo the smallest center duos, but man are they skilled.

Hopefully we can get some big wingers to compliment them.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:25 PM
  #85
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Yup, he looked fantastic. Really happy with that acquisition, him and Ennis may be one fo the smallest center duos, but man are they skilled.

Hopefully we can get some big wingers to compliment them.
We already have for Ennis

Ennis' wingers

Foligno --> 6'2" 215lbs
Stafford -> 6'2" 215lbs


and Coho's wingers aren't exactly small


But you left out Roy who has played more than either of them.

Having 3 top 6 centers makes us a very good team.


Last edited by joshjull: 03-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
  #86
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Anyone happen to find a clip of Ehrhoff blocking the Gaborik shots? I couldn't find it.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:33 PM
  #87
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Anyone happen to find a clip of Ehrhoff blocking the Gaborik shots? I couldn't find it.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=35&id=167234

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:43 PM
  #88
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We already have for Ennis

Ennis' wingers

Foligno --> 6'2" 215lbs
Stafford -> 6'2" 215lbs


and Coho's wingers aren't exactly small


But you left out Roy who has played more than either of them.

Having 3 top 6 centers makes us a very good team.
Yes Roy deserves some love, he's been playing well. I'd like more offense out of his line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Muchos gracias. Ehrhoff you're a beast!

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
  #89
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Back of the net: I counted three, but may have missed some due to bathroom breaks.

Trapezoid: For this I'm gonna say four, but I'll bet I missed some.
I was thinking if someone got checked behind the net someone should say "he just got ran over by a rhombus in the trapezoid"

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:18 AM
  #90
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,596
vCash: 500
Team would be downright terrifying if Vanek was healthy.

He needs to get himself right.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:27 AM
  #91
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
ummmm yes and no. The thing about Leino that gets on my nerves even now, is that he is ALWAYS embellishing contact for calls. Not full blown Dives, but just as annoying to me. Watch him lose an edge on one of his skates but not fall when he gets bumped. I don't know if that's just some quirky thing he does to maintain balance. But it looks like he's tugging on the refs heart strings to me. If it is deliberate embellishment (and I'm convinced it is), he should do it randomly and not all the time. Maybe then he might get a call, but it's a cry wolf situation right now.

On the other hand, he can be slippery and tough to check when he knows he has the upper hand size wise or if he's got fresher legs.

He's a smart player, but I think he needs to play with more discretion. For lack of a better word.
I disagree completely about Leino 'diving'. The guy is just one of those players with a weird and unique manner of skating, protecting, stickhandling, etc. He gets into trouble (e.g. losing his edge) but manages to pull out of it.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:27 AM
  #92
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sens are only two up (with one game in hand).
no game in hand

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:31 AM
  #93
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Leino looks absolutely nothing like he did for the first half of the season. He's close to being "all there" and gearing up for playoff form by the looks of it.

And he plays bigger than he is. He's not small (listed at 6'1", 190 lbs) but he plays a bit bigger than that, or so it seems.

Guys like Tropp, Foligno, and Leino will play a big part in any playoff success we have, and a lot of that won't involve the score sheet.

The way Foligno and Tropp are playing right now alone makes us a different team than we have been for most of the season.
Well, he's playing a lot better than he was in the beginning, and his line is generating some good pressure, but thats mostly Roy and Pommers if you ask me. Every time the possession moves to him, it frequently dies. And any time the scoring chance ends up on his stick, it fails to go in. I think that he'll eventually overcome that, but he's been struggling the past few games.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:33 AM
  #94
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Awesome game.

Loved: Stafford, Foligno, Tropp, Ennis, Poms defensively, Roy defensively, Hodgson, Miller, and props to Turnbull for NHL Goal No. 1

Liked: Ehrhoff (brutal giveaway and then redeems himself), PK

Really, really, really loved:
Beating the Rags,
the team's confidence and enthusiasm (I give huge credit to guys like Foligno, Ennis and Tropp for this);
the JETS
the HABS!

I'm really hoping that the somewhat demoralizing losses by Ottawa (blown out by Montreal) and the Caps (blowing a 3-goal lead to Winnipeg at home) will crush their spirits, leaving us to take 7th and Winnipeg to take 8th : )

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:34 AM
  #95
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
**** it. i'm going to the game on tuesday.
I'll be there always a strong contingent of Buffalo fans at DC games.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:37 AM
  #96
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,150
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Great win but can't overlook tomorrow. I hope they play a simple game and just play to get into OT, then go from there....

But tonights game ah bud couldnt have asked for a better effort from anyone!!

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:01 AM
  #97
FoSotC
Registered User
 
FoSotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Awesome game.

Loved: Stafford, Foligno, Tropp, Ennis, Poms defensively, Roy defensively, Hodgson, Miller, and props to Turnbull for NHL Goal No. 1

Liked: Ehrhoff (brutal giveaway and then redeems himself), PK

Really, really, really loved:
Beating the Rags,
the team's confidence and enthusiasm (I give huge credit to guys like Foligno, Ennis and Tropp for this);
the JETS
the HABS!

I'm really hoping that the somewhat demoralizing losses by Ottawa (blown out by Montreal) and the Caps (blowing a 3-goal lead to Winnipeg at home) will crush their spirits, leaving us to take 7th and Winnipeg to take 8th : )
Sums up my thoughts as well.

Definitely happy for Turnbull. I checked out his twitter account when he was recalled, seems like a pretty humble guy.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:17 AM
  #98
jamers
McTankel Mechanic
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Wow. What a game.

good
Miller
FES line is wicked good
Ehrhoff
Tropp

bad
Still waiting for Vanek to step up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Team would be downright terrifying if Vanek was healthy.

He needs to get himself right.
ugly
Caps got a point

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:20 AM
  #99
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Ottawa is in serious trouble. Look at ther sked. A rested Pens team tomorrow. I don't think Minny will be a gimme for Buffalo by any stretch.
They just got Anderson back.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:24 AM
  #100
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post

Real story is FES and our defensive play though, this team looks completely different, I'm not sure if it is them forging some sort of identity or just getting healthy bodies back. But they look different from the team that was playing in Mannheim. The defensive play is better, the forwards know what they are doing, the defense is getting pucks to them quickly and we transition into offense quickly. Maybe it's just me but everything just seems to be coming together. Stafford is getting real hot right now which is just what we need. Now if we could only get our first line rolling, we'd be in great shape. Props to Ennis and Foligno, just perfect chemistry wow, words cannot describe.

Sulzer and Ehrhoff got some German connection or something because they are just solid solid. Leopold looks bad, but Myers does a solid enough job to cover for him. Sekera and Regehr, solid
Sulzer in, Weber out. I think it is that simple. They should consider a contract for this guy. Huge upgrade right now. I love his first pass out of the zone.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.