HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: March 22, 2012 Nashville Predators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 07:59 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Please bench the Cube. He has been a turd with skates.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:01 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I agree with those lines except for the 4th. Smith needs to watch and it needs to be Bourque-Gaustad-Halishuk/Tootoo that's a complete energy crashing line...
No way you sit Smith. He creates more chances than people on are 1st line do. He just does not have the experiance to finish. If he had a person on his line who knew how to help him he would be a lot better. Someone who knew how to crash the net, get in the way, and know how to bury a rebound would benefit greatly from Smith play. Tootoo brings energy but he could not hit a beach ball with his stick.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:37 AM
GLM

pens fan.

preds looked disinterested as soon as geno scored his first goal. it totally deflated them.

radulov looked a bit rusty and tired on some shifts but got the first goal otu of the way. he is a great talent.

felt the preds picked to take sid away, and geno and neal took over. maf too

game could have been closer had the preds hit some of the opportunities they had. there were goals that were DEFINITELY left on the table.

i dont follow the team, but it seemed like rinne goes down an AWFUL lot too quickly.

andre koistitsen seemed to be invisible. has he been playing well for you guys?

good luck the rest of the way, your team is very good.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
MrBrightside

As a Penguins season ticket holder, I'm amazed at how much negativity there is on this board about the way your team played last night. The Pens only had 23 shots, the fewest they've had all season, and Malkin had 10 of them...no one has bottled them up the way that Nashville did last night in a long time. The Pens got bounces and Rinne wasn't very good, but otherwise that really was more of a 3-2 game than a 5-1 game. Once you integrate Radulov and get Gaustad back, I really think you're going to make a run in the playoffs. Good luck.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
analogkid
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

I've got a bad feeling about this

Saw this post before I left the hotel yesterday and got to dwell on it all day. Someone take away this guy's crystal ball!

Old
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
As a Penguins season ticket holder, I'm amazed at how much negativity there is on this board about the way your team played last night. The Pens only had 23 shots, the fewest they've had all season, and Malkin had 10 of them...no one has bottled them up the way that Nashville did last night in a long time. The Pens got bounces and Rinne wasn't very good, but otherwise that really was more of a 3-2 game than a 5-1 game. Once you integrate Radulov and get Gaustad back, I really think you're going to make a run in the playoffs. Good luck.
I agree that the game was closer on the ice than it was on the score board, but the negativity is coming from our all-world goalie/all-world top defensive pairing/best offense we've had in years falling completely apart in the past two games and at a very critical time. Rinne has looked bad in the past two games, and the team has let up 11 goals in those games. They scored 4. An ass kicking at the hands of the healthy Penguins is one thing, but to have it follow an ass kicking at the hands of the Oilers is just deflating.

But... the problems can be fixed. That's the important part. We need to get Josi and Goose back, get Rads familiar with the team, get AK to play like he did when we first got him, and get back to the resilient team we saw play most of the season. Getting full 60 minute efforts would help a lot, too.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Sometimes I wonder if any of you guys actually watch the game, or you just look at the score to see how we are "playing"...

Let's see how this game went.

Pros:
1.) We had the better and more quality scoring chances from the start to the end of the game.
2.) We didn't back down physically even when we got down. I swear I think Letang is a chick. He gets tossed around more easily than Sullivan does. I literally saw Spaling throw him around behind their goal in one sequence. Really dude??? He gets hurt everytime he steps on the ice. If you think Josi is made of glass, then Letang is made of egg-shells because he gets 'broken' everytime you make contact with him.
3.) Hillen, Suter, and Weber jumped into the play offensively more than they normally do albeit it with nothing really to show for it at all.

Cons:
Pens were the luckiest team in the league and we were the unluckiest last night.
1.) First goal tips off of Hillen's stick, hits Rinne's glove, and goes straight into the net. If Malkin shoots that puck 1,000 times, that doesn't happen again.
2.) right after their goal we get a great chance by taking a shot from the point (I think it was Klein?) that was tipped on net by Radulov. I'd seriously say that the puck finds the net more than 3/4 of the time, but instead this found a surprised Fluery's glove.
3.) Right after that Bourque, Spaling, and AK have a GREAT chance to score in a scrum, but couldn't lift the puck.
4.) On their 2nd goal, the puck is shot over the net by Letang, but on the way to the net, the puck hits Dupuis in the shoulder and goes into the net... um. Ok.
5.) Right after their 2nd goal Tootoo, Yip, and Smith have another GREAT chance to score in a scrum. But somehow the puck squirts behind Fluery, but goes out the side of the net rather than in it. (see a trend?)
6.) With 3 minutes in the 1st, Klein then has a great chance on a wrap around that both Bourque and Spaling WHIFF on lifting the puck over a down and out Fluery.
7.) their 3rd goal, Radulov is standing wide open at our own blueline but Boullion decides to send a weak, weak, weak pass up the middle and right to the Pens. How we EVER sit Ellis in place of Boullion blows my mind.
8.) Right after their goal, AK has a great one-timer chance that goes wide but then puts the puck back through the crease. Spaling has a WIDE OPEN GOAL (like literally had 100% of the goal to shoot at) and misses wide. I believe this miss was worse than Smith missing the wide open empty net back at the beginning of the year.
9.) Their 4th goal, Suter steals the puck from Kunitz -- count it -- 3 times. Yet the puck keeps going back to his stick and he just throws it at the net while falling away and it happens to go off of Weber and into the net. (so, the trend hasn't stopped has it?)
10.) Fisher AND SK both have wide open one-time chances in the slot that they have at least 40-50% of the net to shoot at, but shoot wide towards the end of the 2nd period.

I'm not even going to break-down the third period because it is blatantly obvious that Pens scored on all of their non-chances and we couldn't even score on wide open chances this game. When the Pens were up 4-1, I was sitting there watching and thinking, 'we should be up 4-1 right now. oh well!' Sometimes the puck bounces your way and you get the breaks and sometimes it doesn't. Don't let the score fool you, I thought we slightly outplayed them all night long. Oh well. Can't win them all. I still have us as favorites to come out of the West quite easily.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 03-23-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammar police
Old
03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
Thanks man. You guys definitely have an offensively gifted team. Your players find each other in the offensive zone better than any time i've ever seen.

With that being said, our fan base is very negative because we almost have to be. We haven't ever had good luck, ever really. Radulov coming back might be the best luck we have ever had as a fan-base. So some people use the negativity to protect themselves from expecting great things from this team so that they don't get hurt when we fail.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
<snip>

8.) Right after their goal, AK has a great one-timer chance that goes wide but then puts the puck back through the crease. Spaling has a WIDE OPEN GOAL (like literally had 100% of the goal to shoot at) and misses wide. I believe this miss was worse than Smith missing the wide open empty net back at the beginning of the year.
</snip>
Yep, I agree for the most part, except for this one. There will never be a miss that is worse than the Smith empty netter.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, last night's result was a combination of very bad luck/flukey goals and a some bad plays. The only goal that wasn't a fluke/bad bounce/giveaway was Malkin's last goal. That one just plain beat Peks.

I'm still on the fence with Ellis over Cube. Yeah, Cube had a horrible turnover which led directly to a goal, but Ellis gets pushed around too much by the other team's forwards most nights. Sure, it's not a turnover in front of our goal like last night, but it usually results in a turnover behind our net which usually leads to a scoring chance. And FWIW, Neal read Cube's blunder perfectly. He saw that Cube was trapped on the wall and was looking at the player in the slot, stepped up and intercepted it. Still dumb on Cube's part.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

I'm glad some people saw the same game as me.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
glenngineer

UTM, I'm pretty much with you. I think the last 2 games the bounces and even some calls have gone against us. We've had scoring chances, good ones, that we usually bury but it seemed there's been an invisible glass blocking our shots in addition to the other teams goalies. I think sometimes the leadership group needs to lead more. Like I said earlier, Gill admitted to having a poor game. As good as Suter and Weber usually are, I am just not seeing them elevate their games at a crucial time of the year. They are also not talking about that either. Sometimes it takes a leader to come out and say I need to play better and some of the other guys follow suit.

Many years ago Al Arbour said this very thing to the Islanders team he was coaching. He said he wasn't coaching well and some of the problems the team was having was due to his efforts. He stepped up and took one on the chin but in doing so, gained the trust of his team and they went on to win 4 Cups in a row. I'm not saying this is a Trotz issue, I'm saying it's a leadership issue. Fisher leads by example on the ice as he's busting his tail all the time. Bourque, who's a rookie busts his tail every time he takes the ice. I'm just not seeing that from Suter and Weber. You and I have discussed how lucky we are to have these two and we should enjoy that and I agree with that sentiment. Problem I have now is I just don't see that pairing as the dominant pairing they were earlier in the year. I really think we're missing Josi more than we think as he is able to control the puck on the blue line as well as Suter does. Without him we are not moving the puck as well as we had been with him in the lineup.

I have to say the effort was there from a lot of the guys on the ice last night but we didn't get the results we wanted. As long as we keep skating hard and pressuring teams, I think we'll be fine. We haven't really hit a major slump since about December. When was the last time we actually lost 2 in a row in regulation? I honestly can't remember but we have been pretty darn good for a long time now.

I think now that the Radulov distraction is over and he's here and hopefully with Josi, Wilson and Gaustad coming back soon things should solidify going into the final weeks of the season and into the playoffs.

Maybe Weber needs to start growing his beard again.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The defense is making mistakes, but it has all year. Pekka simply isn't making the big save at the moment, and to compound matters, he's giving up a couple of soft goals per game. We're in such a hole before the game has even begun that we spend the entire time trying to dig out of it.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Maybe Weber needs to start growing his beard again.
Bingo.

He did it early last season if i remember, he should 100% do it early this year. I think it states a lot.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

@glenn

The last time we lost two in a row was last week on our West Coast swing, but before that it was the end of February. And before that, the end of December.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Not having Josi is hurting A LOT. Hillen and Boullion are good in small doses. With Josi out they are getting way more responsibility than they can handle. Gill needs Josi badly as well as Josi's skill set compliments Gill's perfectly. We need him to get healthy and stay healthy.
I agree with the rest of your post, but not so much with this paragraph. I think Gill is a bigger problem than you think, and Josi's presence isn't going to fix that. Gill's feet look they are embedded in cement pails. He has virtually no mobility and takes forever to get the puck onto and off of his stick. When he gets in trouble in his own zone, he goes down and starts fishing on the ice. He gets walked at least twice per game.

Josi is still a rookie and has shown plenty of defensive gaffes of his own. He has the second worst +/- among defensemen on the team. He has had 2 or 3 concussions this season and he might be a bit timid now. I think it is a lot to expect of him or even Ellis, Hillen or Bouillon to make up for Gill's deficiencies. As the season winds down and we enter the playoffs, I think Gill is our biggest risk on the blue line.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
token grinder

I think Gill will be better in the playoffs when refs swallow their whistles.....we didn't get him for run and gun regular season.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Anyone called the GDT for Saturday yet? If not, I'll take it.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:29 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
@glenn

The last time we lost two in a row was last week on our West Coast swing, but before that it was the end of February. And before that, the end of December.
the last time before this week we lost two in a row in regulation was x-mas.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:52 PM
wadesworld

Opposing players have definitely figured out that over-the-shoulder (usually the far one) is the way to beat Rinne.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
the last time before this week we lost two in a row in regulation was x-mas.
Ah I glanced over the word "regulation".

Old
03-23-2012, 04:02 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Opposing players have definitely figured out that over-the-shoulder (usually the far one) is the way to beat Rinne.
Nothing new there. This has been common knowledge since he arrived in Nashville.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:24 PM
predfan98

I think its a leadership issue...

I see the Fisher line busting it, I see Bouque giving it...

But Suter lost his jock a couple of times last night, and Weber looked lackluster and hasn't been physical in a while.
They aren't stepping up at this time of year.
I felt lucky to have them last year..... but this year.....they have not been as good or seemingly as driven.

I do see all the good things, but we need the leaders to lead in the locker room and in their play....

Predator hockey has always been giving it your all and busting it on the ice. We finally have more skill , and it seems like we've lost the other.

I think that lack of "heart" or whatever, is probably the main reason people take losses like this so hard.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Steelburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrypt View Post
Pens built their team by sucking for 5 years and stocking up on #1/#2 picks. Thats no way to build a team I can respect. I hope you guys stick it to them if you meet in the SCF.
You speak truth, but you leave out the context. Lemieux and Burkle (Pens owners) bought the team out of bankruptcy in '99 after the previous owner mismanaged it for most of the 90's. They felt it was important to pay back all the team's creditors, so they trimmed payroll for several years, which resulted in all the losing seasons while the Pens had one of the lowest payrolls in the NHL.

By 2005, they had paid back every single cent owed by the team, which is extremely rare in bankruptcy cases. They even paid back relatively tiny amounts owed to local businesses. It's no coincidence the Pens started to get good again after '05.

The draft picks were just a (extremely nice) side effect of Lemieux and Burkle doing the honest and classy thing.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
klt2001

If it makes anybody feel better, Montreal kicked the Senators butt too today w/ the final score being 5-1 also. So it seems Preds aren't the only ones getting beat badly by lesser teams or just teams in general. Seems like there were alot of teams today that got beat badly by other (lesser) team (i.e. NY Rangers losing to Buffalo 1-4; Carolina losing to Columbus 1-5)

http://www.nhl.com/

Last edited by klt2001: 03-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
If it makes anybody feel better, Montreal kicked the Senators butt too today w/ the final score being 5-1 also. So it seems Preds aren't the only ones getting beat badly by lesser teams or just teams in general. Seems like there were alot of teams today that got beat badly by other (lesser) team (i.e. NY Rangers losing to Buffalo 1-4; Carolina losing to Columbus 1-5)

http://www.nhl.com/
It does happen, and certainly nobody would argue the Pens are a lesser team.

But, if the Preds are going to go from being a nice playoff story until their annual early exit to a true contender, they're going to have to quit crapping the bed when they have their chance to shine.

Closed Thread