HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Corey Trivino Arrested

Old
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Well, if people had actually read my post, once again they charge the defendant with whatever they have enough probable cause for. Obviously the district attorney felt there was enough evidence to charge him with all these counts, doesn't mean they are all going to stick. I'd be interested to know if the female asked for an order of protection.

Also, has anybody else considered that he's been kicked off the team for a violation involving this that has nothing to do with him actually getting arrested? People are saying the team kicks him off without a verdict but what if he broke an imposed curfew or was told he cannot continue to play for them and use alcohol and the arrest just showed that those did indeed occur leading him to be kicked off the team.
You're absolutely right. Jack Parker told him to go to rehab. In short, Trivino said, "no". Parker told Trivno that if he has anymore problems involving alcohol, he's off the team. He did, and now he's gone. It has nothing to do with an arrest.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Well, if people had actually read my post, once again they charge the defendant with whatever they have enough probable cause for. Obviously the district attorney felt there was enough evidence to charge him with all these counts, doesn't mean they are all going to stick. I'd be interested to know if the female asked for an order of protection.

Also, has anybody else considered that he's been kicked off the team for a violation involving this that has nothing to do with him actually getting arrested? People are saying the team kicks him off without a verdict but what if he broke an imposed curfew or was told he cannot continue to play for them and use alcohol and the arrest just showed that those did indeed occur leading him to be kicked off the team.
Well I can't speak for Trivino but I thought it was pretty clear. Another alcohol incident and your off the team. Therefore he's off the team.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
Well I can't speak for Trivino but I thought it was pretty clear. Another alcohol incident and your off the team. Therefore he's off the team.
Parker said go to rehab, and he [Travino] said, "No, no, no"

Old
12-16-2011, 08:35 AM
crashthenet

Tough week for Parker, eh?

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...yle_leaves.php

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
JoonasJ86

Does anybody know what's Trivinos future from now on? Does he have a chance to pull it together and still play somewhere this season? Let alone play in the NHL ever?
Is it possible for him to jump to WHL for example?

JoonasJ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Bauer Warrior*

I suppose that would depend on the results of his hearing, whether or not he's indicted, and whether or not he's found guilty and sentenced. This story has died. So I really don't know what his status is. Has anyone followed it closely?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
You won't hear anything until his hearing this month at some point.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
JoonasJ86

Oh yeah, i thought he had the hearing already. If he is found not guilty, maybe he'll get a short stint in Bridgeport.

JoonasJ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonasJ86 View Post
Oh yeah, i thought he had the hearing already. If he is found not guilty, maybe he'll get a short stint in Bridgeport.
Bridgeport sure could use the help.

They've got lots of PTO guys down there right now.

Still, if he has serious alcohol problems, the classy thing would be for the Isles to enroll him in a program while having him play on a PTO for the rest of this season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:09 AM
IslesNorway

In his current state the Isles will stay well clear of Trivino. I can't see Wang and Snow offering him a deal unless he commits to rehab and signs up for AA meetings.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:23 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Bridgeport sure could use the help.

They've got lots of PTO guys down there right now.

Still, if he has serious alcohol problems, the classy thing would be for the Isles to enroll him in a program while having him play on a PTO for the rest of this season.
^^ This. There have been others who have had similar issues and gotten second kick at the can. One bad boy I can remember is Billy Tibbets, another may be Josh Gratton.
He MUST sign up for AA and any other rehab program, admist remorse, keep squeeky clean, zero tolerance policy in effect.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
In his current state the Isles will stay well clear of Trivino. I can't see Wang and Snow offering him a deal unless he commits to rehab and signs up for AA meetings.
I would imagine his lawyer has already started the ball rolling re: rehab and AA. The lawyer can than tell DA and judge that his client has enrolled and is seeking treatment, that will be his defense and they will push for a suspended sentence; don't know if DA will go for it, but that would be my guess. This is typical ******** that drunks use to escape punishment.

The reality of this is rehab is serious business; AA and rehab are two entirely different entities. You may attend AA in rehab, but nobody forces you to go. Rehab is the business of getting sober in a closed environment, usually 30 days, it is not the be all to end all that people think it is. Alcohol is easily obtained in rehab(alcoholics know where the booze is), so Corey will have to watch himself. AA you admit you are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. This is no easy task. 90 meetings in 90 days is just the start, if he is serious about this he should forget hockey for this year and concentrate on getting sober. AA is not a closed environment that rehab is, so no one is watching you except a sponsor if he is smart enough to get one. Extremely tough for beginners to live their life this way, but if he is serious about getting his act together this is probably the best way

Last edited by nrf83: 01-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
I would imagine his lawyer has already started the ball rolling re: rehab and AA. The lawyer can than tell DA and judge that his client has enrolled and is seeking treatment, that will be his defense and they will push for a suspended sentence; don't know if DA will go for it, but that would be my guess. This is typical ******** that drunks use to escape punishment.

The reality of this is rehab is serious business; AA and rehab are two entirely different entities. You may attend AA in rehab, but nobody forces you to go. Rehab is the business of getting sober in a closed environment, usually 30 days, it is not the be all to end all that people think it is. Alcohol is easily obtained in rehab(alcoholics know where the booze is), so Corey will have to watch himself. AA you admit you are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. This is no easy task. 90 meetings in 90 days is just the start, if he is serious about this he should forget hockey for this year and concentrate on getting sober. AA is not a closed environment that rehab is, so no one is watching you except a sponsor if he is smart enough to get one. Extremely tough for beginners to live their life this way, but if he is serious about getting his act together this is probably the best way
good post.

I don't think anyone's in a position to know what the real story is. Much of this is managing perceptions from a PR aspect as much as helping Trivino with his life and profession (if he's even good enough to play pro - which is still unknown)

This could be anything from a real drinking problem, poor judgement or possibly worse with whatever happened with the girl....or it could just be something that happens in College all the time, rarely gets reported, something that involves drinking and behaviour that's somewhat "normal" for College and not something that requires any rehabilitation except some maturity.

This could be anything from one extreme to the other - who knows. I only care about this from a hockey/NYI standpoint. I'm glad the victim wasn't hurt (at least as far as I know, not sure of the specifics obviously - emotionally, etc) but in terms of Trivino, you're totally right, his lawyer will have to say "all the right things" to help him get his career back on track.

How much of a problem it is AND how willing Trivino is to commit to the process of change - we'll never know.

Handled the right way, Trivino should have NO TROUBLE continuing his hockey career, if the drinking problem isn't severe. Whether he matures enough, quickly enough is unknown but this isn't so severe a situation that it hinders Trivino's hockey (not like it's a Mike Danton situation. I recall Gilmour was accused of something really serious when he was young)

On-ice, Trivino was finally starting to show some potential. If he can show some of that in the ECHL or AHL then he's still got a shot. If Trivino commits to changing, it would be a classy move by the NYI to offer him a chance. If not, he'll have to find a try-out at some point or wait until next season.

Trivino's not good enough to waste too much effort/resources on him - he's no Gilmour. He was already facing an uphill battle to even get a pro contract, this just makes it far more difficult.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Trivino's not good enough to waste too much effort/resources on him....he was already facing an uphill battle to even get a pro contract, this just makes it far more difficult.
This is where the buck stops I think, he was too far down the prospect pool ladder to begin with and I think the Isles will not put too much effort into him, he blew it.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
This is where the buck stops I think, he was too far down the prospect pool ladder to begin with and I think the Isles will not put too much effort into him, he blew it.
Then again, according to a recent article by Point Blank, the Isles attempted to sign him both after his sophomore and junior years.

I think we'll see something. They wanted him in the same manner as Ness.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Just an update for those still interested.. Prosecution has dropped the most serious charge against Trivino but he is still facing additional charges:

Quote:
Former Boston University men’s hockey forward Corey Trivino is no longer being charged with assault with intent to ****, the most serious of seven charges stemming from a Dec. 11 incident, due to insufficient evidence, officials said.

Brighton District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said there was no evidence suggesting Trivino intended to use force in efforts to **** the victim.

“We have an ethical obligation not to pursue a charge that we know we can’t prove,” he said. “It’s certainly not a reflection of the victim’s credibility or anything of that nature.”
http://dailyfreepress.com/2012/03/23...-trivino-case/

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:23 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Not trying to defend anybody but I work in criminal justice and just want to make everyone aware of two things:

First, whenever someone is arrested they slap as many charges as possible on the person to strengthen the chance of "any" conviction, which in most circumstances ends up being the the least minor charge through plea bargaining. The police report that is revealed is usually the one that strengthens the arrest and is "always" the complainants side of the story.

Secondly, and most important, everyone is innocent until proven guilty and many people forget that and are quick to convict in their own minds without hearing the true facts.

With that said, sounds like the kid definitely effed up but will probably end up with some sort of probation on a misdemeanor charge and without other facts to purport that this is normal behavior, then it could just be an immature stupid act of poor judgement in an intoxicated state. He'll get his punishment and try to move on but I am going to reserve judgement on his character until further investigation.

Oh, and I also would like to add that whomever brought up the Mark Sanchez article... interestingly he was involved in that incident with the female reporter where she felt uncomfortable in the locker room one day. That's a pattern...
Seems to jive well with what a poster said about this early in the case. His point number 1. Oh, that was me wasn't it?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote