HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zuccarello

Old
03-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
What an unfortunate way for his season to go. Gotta feel for the guy.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Blocking shots does more harm than good IMO. Way too often we see players (some good, some bad) missing extended periods of time during the season to try to save a goal, but in reality, that's what your goalies there for.

I'm not saying Zucc did the wrong thing I'm just saying that when you play a style like we play, a physical, grinding, shot-blocking team, this is the consequences you pay. Eventually, you'll get dealt snake eyes and Callahan will be out for 30-40 games or someone of similar importance. Does it pay?

Bad time for Zucc to go out. He was just getting into the groove and now Feds has to come in for Zucc instead of coming in for that bum Mitchell.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
You mean a team where he doesn't have to hurl himself in front of 100 mph bombs?
Perhaps, I'm thinking a team that either gives him a look at top 6 minutes(maybe a bottom feeder)or a puck possession team.

Really comes down to what Zuc wants. I doubt he wants to go through another year in Hartford though.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

There goes any offensive contribution from our bottom 6, Boyles fluke goal tonight nonwithstanding. Really bad to lose him considering how bad our bottom 6 is now.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Obviously, he is done the rest of the season. I kinda don't think he is going to resign here. Not unless they give him a one way contract for a year or so(I doubt it).

I think he is going to a team that actively pursues him in the offseason and better fits his play style.
Considering the Rangers brass came out and said they want to resign him and Zuccarello came out and said he wants to play here, id assume that him signing here is the stronger possibility.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
What an unfortunate way for his season to go. Gotta feel for the guy.
for sure, I hope they stick to resigning him. He can be a help to this team, 1 yr guaranteed is a good move

btw go whoever is playing BC..........Kreider a rangers for sure if they lose now

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Considering the Rangers brass came out and said they want to resign him and Zuccarello came out and said he wants to play here, id assume that him signing here is the stronger possibility.

Source?

I remember hearing about that last season. I never heard anything lately to support that. I could be wrong.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Having MZA and AA together in our bottom six gave us three lines that could produce for the first time in a looong time. I was counting on that line producing at .5g pg down the stretch and maybe etting hot in a series and helping the team finish off opponents.

Losing MZA puts a huge work load on AA if he stays in the bottom six to contribute.

On a somewhat related note, wow did AA have a few strong shifts between Cally and Dubi. I think Stepan gives us more in general there, as AA can play more of a two way game in the bottom six… but geeez shades of the Pack line of last season at it's best.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Really feel for the guy. We'll miss him on the ice for sure.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Having MZA and AA together in our bottom six gave us three lines that could produce for the first time in a looong time. I was counting on that line producing at .5g pg down the stretch and maybe etting hot in a series and helping the team finish off opponents.

Losing MZA puts a huge work load on AA if he stays in the bottom six to contribute.

On a somewhat related note, wow did AA have a few strong shifts between Cally and Dubi. I think Stepan gives us more in general there, as AA can play more of a two way game in the bottom six… but geeez shades of the Pack line of last season at it's best.

I think AA is going to be centering our second line. Step's play has slipped a bit, they might try to give him more limited minutes.

I think he has been fairly brutal on our PP as of late.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im not going to go digging through the other threads, but it was posted a few days ago. Both sides want to remain in a relationship.

NO player is getting guaranteed spots. Yes he will have to earn a spot.

After showing his very improved game, there's no reason to believe he can't earn his spot back in camp. He and CK can play either wing. There are spots open.

Hagelin. Richards. Gaborik
Kreider. Stepan. Callahan
Dubinsky. Anisimov. Zuccarello
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

Plenty of room.

Even if they sign Parise or whatever, someone with a big enough contract would have to be moved (most likely Dubinsky) and that's an open spot.

Parise. Stepan. Callahan
Kreider. Anisimov. Zuccarello
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

If anything id think this actually helps the Rangers in their negotiations. How many teams have really scouted him since his return call up? How many would chance it when he's going to miss probably the rest of the season?

Rangers know him, know what he's about, Tortorella appreciates him, and so do his teammates.

I think he will return.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Im not going to go digging through the other threads, but it was posted a few days ago. Both sides want to remain in a relationship.

After showing his very improved game, there's no reason to believe he can't earn his spot back in camp. He and CK can play either wing. There are spots open.

Rupp. Boyle. Prust

Plenty of room.

Even if they sign Parise or whatever, someone with a big enough contract would have to be moved (most likely Dubinsky) and that's an open spot.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. With that said, We all know what happened with Avery a couple seasons back.

Zuc already earned a spot at camp, and then was sent down. I think it would be risky for him to try to stay in a system that is not really optimal for him.

Btw, that first line looks like it probably isn't going to last.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. With that said, We all know what happened with Avery a couple seasons back.

Zuc already earned a spot at camp, and then was sent down. I think it would be risky for him to try to stay in a system that is not really optimal for him.
He was sent back because he wasn't a strong skater and he wasn't physically strong enough. He improved both areas while in Hartford, VERY apparently.

How does the system not benefit him? He was playing outstanding hockey.

This nonsense about our "system" stifling offense is ridiculous. And uninformed. The PLAYERS may lack the ability to score consistently. NO way does crashing the net hard stifle offense. Its supposed to create more goals. VAST majority of goals are scored that way on EVERY team.

I believe the two sides will work something out.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
I think AA is going to be centering our second line. Step's play has slipped a bit, they might try to give him more limited minutes.

I think he has been fairly brutal on our PP as of late.

Stepan's been sort of getting stuck half-way between a lot of plays, but I don't think Torts has the option of putting him on the 3rd line the way AA can. AA's game lends itself to being either on a checking line or a scoring line. Stepan's game so far would make him a shooter on a checking line. Not a bad thing to have, but there's no-one in our bottom six that's going to open up ice for him to pull the trigger, and he doesn't handle the puck enough to make time/space for Boyle to be effective in front of the net.

Stepan's ineffective play will have to be overlooked, because there's just nowhere to put him outside the top 6.

It's awesome how one shift you look at AA and you're like awesome job defensively, and then the next shift he jumps between Cally and Dubi and the line has the best shift of the entire game. It's no surprise to anyone that knows the sport that whatever line AA's been put on has looked good this season.

Gabby and Step need a LW, we try out the whole line-up then AA slides in and the line starts rolling.

Richards and Cally need a LW, AA slides down and the line has a massive game against Philly, and then again in NJ.

Step and Gabby go through a drought after ASB… put AA back there and Gabby takes off again.

MZA and Boyle need a LW, AA slides down and the line looks like it'll be a solid contributing 3rd line.

The guy's contributions to this team this year have been massive, and he's about the most unsung player in the line-up.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
He was sent back because he wasn't a strong skater and he wasn't physically strong enough. He improved both areas while in Hartford, VERY apparently.

How does the system not benefit him? He was playing outstanding hockey.

This nonsense about our "system" stifling offense is ridiculous. And uninformed. The PLAYERS may lack the ability to score consistently. NO way does crashing the net hard stifle offense. Its supposed to create more goals. VAST majority of goals are scored that way on EVERY team.

I believe the two sides will work something out.
Its not nonsense. Our system requires a TON of board play in the offensive zone. Not all teams play that style. Some teams cut to the open ice allowing play in the gaps. Zuc I think would benefit a system that isn't so dependent on grinding through our forecheck.

I never said that our system was offensive stifling, I don't know how you got that from my post(or that I am against crashing the net?). Zuc's lack of size is a factor in the system we play. He was doing great on the PP, when he had space to work with. Also, with our current team configuration, he doesn't really have that many skill guys to play with on the bottom six. I don't think Zuc should be stuck with Boyle.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 03-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Stepan's been sort of getting stuck half-way between a lot of plays, but I don't think Torts has the option of putting him on the 3rd line the way AA can. AA's game lends itself to being either on a checking line or a scoring line. Stepan's game so far would make him a shooter on a checking line. Not a bad thing to have, but there's no-one in our bottom six that's going to open up ice for him to pull the trigger, and he doesn't handle the puck enough to make time/space for Boyle to be effective in front of the net.

Stepan's ineffective play will have to be overlooked, because there's just nowhere to put him outside the top 6.

It's awesome how one shift you look at AA and you're like awesome job defensively, and then the next shift he jumps between Cally and Dubi and the line has the best shift of the entire game. It's no surprise to anyone that knows the sport that whatever line AA's been put on has looked good this season.

Gabby and Step need a LW, we try out the whole line-up then AA slides in and the line starts rolling.

Richards and Cally need a LW, AA slides down and the line has a massive game against Philly, and then again in NJ.

Step and Gabby go through a drought after ASB… put AA back there and Gabby takes off again.

MZA and Boyle need a LW, AA slides down and the line looks like it'll be a solid contributing 3rd line.

The guy's contributions to this team this year have been massive, and he's about the most unsung player in the line-up.
All good points.

AA certainly has been one(if not the)most important utility player on this team.

I certainly think its an issue with Steps. Didn't we try him on wing last season? Or can we move him down to a third line, and see if has an chemistry with a call up?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Well, just to follow up. Zuc is an RFA this offseason. Therefore, the ball is in the Rangers court, whether they want to keep him or not.

That changes the conversation dramatically, I think they will at least qualify him.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Metal Militia

vCash: 50
Quote:
Source?

I remember hearing about that last season. I never heard anything lately to support that. I could be wrong.
http://bluelinestation.com/2012/03/2...anger-revived/

Metal Militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
Thank you.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:19 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
I fractured my wrist when I played hockey, and I wore a cast for 4 weeks (my wrist fractured and dislocated), and I was back at playing about 3 weeks after the cast came off. Of course different fractures need different time to heal, but atleast with the Rangers he has a professional team to help his rehab. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:25 AM
TigerJack

What a fascinating thread. One could start believeing that his career is over when reading it.

First of all; Lett´s wait for the doctor´s report befor concluding about how serious this is. The only thing we know for sure is that the rest of the season is over, and at least a couple rounds of post season. Most likely the rest of the whole season.

Mats is a fighter. He has shown that before. When you can handle being sent down to Hartford after 3 games this fall, after being very good at camp, you can handle an injury like this also. He has been out long term before also, with his ankle, many times. Last year he broke his hand in april for the Whale, and came back for camp, fit for fight and did good.

Mats WANTS to be in the NHL. So bad. Not because of the money or anything, but because he wants to play hockey in the best league in the world, and because he believes he belongs there. And he has shown this time that he does. His attitude is very different from his norwegian fellows who didn´t bother fighting for their spot, and took off home again (Holøs, Olimb).

When it comes to him being resigned or not, I can´t see how this injury in any way could effect this, unless the doctor says that his fracture is so complicated that it will never be 100% again. Of course there is a chance that this is could be, in worst case. The wrist is not what you want to break, especially as a hockey player, and especially not his most important hand, the left.

Patrick Kane was out 6-8 weeks with a fractured wrist, and had surgery. Hopefully this is the case for Zuke too.

Best case: Might even be back for Conference Finals if the Rangers make it there.
Worst case: Career ending injury, but I refuse to believe that.

When it comes to shot blocking like this. Is it actually worth it? As someone else said in this thread; the team actually has a goalie. IMO blocking shots at any cost is quite stupid. Sorry, but I think Zuke´s blocking of that shot was totally unnecessary. I wouldn´t question it at all if it was a game 7 in PO or another must win PO game. Or a regular season game fighting for a PO spot. Yes, it´s important for the team to clinch the division and stay in front of Pittsburgh, and even the President´s Trophy to get Home Ice all the way. But the Rangers are still in a hell of a position. But you have to look at the consequenses. Zuccarello has been so good after the call up, and his only mission is to help the team by playing great hockey and to clinch his spot in the line up for good. That´s why he doesn´t yield these situations either, but this time the price was high to pay.

IF it´s the clubs policy to block every shot in any case at any cost, they should at least start wearing protection in such important areas of the body.

Last edited by TigerJack: 03-24-2012 at 02:50 AM.
TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:30 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I fractured my wrist when I played hockey, and I wore a cast for 4 weeks (my wrist fractured and dislocated), and I was back at playing about 3 weeks after the cast came off. Of course different fractures need different time to heal, but atleast with the Rangers he has a professional team to help his rehab. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery.
There is no problem for a player to play hockey, even with a little pain in his hand. The most important thing is that all the joints are fine, and alle the movements go smoothly.
The problem is if Zuccarello´s wrist is "crushed" by the puck or not. If we are talking about many small bones, there are a lot of them in the wrist, that are broken og smashed, we are talking about a complicated injury, with surgery.
But it could also just be a simple plain bone break. Then he might not even need surgery.
Fingers crossed while we wait for the x-rays and reports. Hopefully we get great news!

Such a blow for Zuke and the Rangers. And also for the norwegian fans who for the first time really could look forward to seeing Zuccarello in the playoffs.

Btw, Red Wings´ Ericcson is out with a broken wrist. They are talking about 4 weeks. So of course there is hope!

Last edited by TigerJack: 03-24-2012 at 02:44 AM.
TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:43 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

Rupp. Boyle. Prust

Plenty of room.

Parise. Stepan. Callahan
Kreider. Anisimov. Zuccarello
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

If anything id think this actually helps the Rangers in their negotiations. How many teams have really scouted him since his return call up? How many would chance it when he's going to miss probably the rest of the season?

Rangers know him, know what he's about, Tortorella appreciates him, and so do his teammates.

I think he will return.
Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Whitney/Kreider - Stepan - Zuccarello/Whitney
Rupp/Zucarello - Boyle - Prust
Bickel (used for brawls)

Comparisons
Whitney > Fedotenko
Kreider > Mitchell
Zuccarello > Wolski/Christ
Rest is the same

A ton of other, possibly better, line combinations/possibilities
Ease Kreider into the pro game
Sign Ray Whitney as a one year UFA stop gap for added depth/scoring/experience
No big UFA long term deals cuz we need the $$ next year for our upcoming RFAs

Resign Bickel as a spare Fwd/D
Possibly qualify Strålman (depending on if we can sign Justin Schultz /longshot/ or not and if Sauer returns)

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Erixon - Sauer ?

Strålman/Vet UFA, Bickel

Schultz + McWrath seasoning in Hartford (possibly with Ceresnak)

Last edited by BBKers: 03-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.
BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

wait until the swelling settles before the doctor gets a good look at it...

what's worse? a complete break or a hairline fracture?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:43 AM
KenGuru

He needs surgery. His agent says he is out 6-8 weeks (TV2)

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote