HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cole gives middle finger to the tank, Habs win 5-1

Old
03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Toastman

vCash: 500
Erik Cole Sucks, Overpaid and old. We should have signed Connolly, because at least he knows how to tank.

But seriously, Cole is the exact player we have been missing.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
poetryinmotion

I hate everythiiiiiing

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
That was a pretty rough affair...

Crazy.

A serious Habs/Sens rivalry brewing?
Not until they meet in the playoffs.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Bourque got a 10 minute misconduct. Hopefully that means he's more comfortable with the team now, as at the time he got it he seemed to be.

He's been playing better. Just wish he'd level someone every so often when he has a chance. Goals will come and I'm hoping next year he and everyone else will be playing good again.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:04 AM
BLONG7

Blunden White and Staubitz...nice 4th line for next season...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Yea that would be nice. I loved seeing White and Staubitz challenging Neil at the same time, when's the last time we had two guys who actually could do well in a fight?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Just sayin'....smallish DD won his puck battle with Jared Cowan on Cole's 3rd goal. DD vs Cowan. I guess sometimes, smaller doesn't matter....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Awesome, just awesome, team spirit is back, at least. And, again, Campoli was one of the first to jump into the scrum, team guy.

Was getting tired of seeing the team pushed around, now I really like how they play. Didn't think a guy like Staubitz would have that much of an impact, him and White are wrecking havoc, and I hope they sign Moen back (unless he wants a ******** of money), or get a guy like Boll or Crombeen via a trade.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just sayin'....smallish DD won his puck battle with Jared Cowan on Cole's 3rd goal. DD vs Cowan. I guess sometimes, smaller doesn't matter....
My theory is that DD has been smaller than everyone at every level of hockey he's ever played. He's had to learn to battle his whole life, and I think he's pretty much perfected his technique for winning puck battles.

Eller on the other hand has probably been bigger than other kids most his life. I bet puck battles came easy to him growing up, now in the bigger, stronger NHL he's had to refine his technique. I have no doubt he'll continue to get better in that area, and he's already at least as good as Plekanec at it.

Not to pile on Plekanec, but that's easily the worst part of his game. He could learn a thing or two from DD in that aspect.

Re; toughness. The thing I love about our team so far is that they're doing toughness the right way. We don't have idiots targeting guys like Alfredsson and Karlsson after the whistles. They go out and make big hits, and when another team tries to take liberties with their teammates, we have guys who can, and will, fight them.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He out muscled Spezza too, on a play.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:44 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
That was a pretty rough affair...

Crazy.

A serious Habs/Sens rivalry brewing?
Hope so !

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It is. From the mouth of Brian Burke, this line will make us a "truculent team." It would be nice to see a change in our ID from a smallish team with no gumption to one that will keep other teams honest without the need to good things up.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
It is. From the mouth of Brian Burke, this line will make us a "truculent team." It would be nice to see a change in our ID from a smallish team with no gumption to one that will keep other teams honest without the need to good things up.
Sign both Blunden and Staubitz as 12-13 interchangeable players. Put Blunden in on less physical teams and Staubitz against tougher opponents.

This is if Moen is resigned as he could play with Eller and maybe Leblanc. Next year Gionta is back so Pleks will have Gio and Bourque. Moen Eller Leblanc would be a good third line.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Love that Montreal beat the Senators they are only two points clear of a playoff spot right now, with Toronto out the only thing to make this better would be to see Ottawa bow out as well. I'm glad Montreal has done everything it could to help Ottawa miss the post season.

Now back to tanking!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Valois

Oooh boy, I'm gonna have to make separate accounts for both forums if the games continue like this

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
There are guys in Hamilton that can easily do what he does.
Who?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Et le But

Is it just me or have we been on the winning side of blowouts a lot this year? For a last place team it feels like we've humiliated the opposition more than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Re; toughness. The thing I love about our team so far is that they're doing toughness the right way. We don't have idiots targeting guys like Alfredsson and Karlsson after the whistles. They go out and make big hits, and when another team tries to take liberties with their teammates, we have guys who can, and will, fight them.
I like this, and I hope to see more of it. I like to see the guys playing with an edge and we do have a few dirty players but it's mostly small things. Having guys who can fight is nice but I don't want to see them turn into the Bruins and target everyone for BS moral victories. It's one thing to add toughness but I'm glad they are still going for classy guys.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:11 PM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is it just me or have we been on the winning side of blowouts a lot this year? For a last place team it feels like we've humiliated the opposition more than the other way around.
We are not as bad as we have looked, or felt, this year. Our goal differential shows this.

With a small retool, we will be back next year and a force within a few years with Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Holland and others.

I've been saying this, and will continue to say this, all year.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Too many blown leads, that's why. They lose by 1-2 goals because all year long the Habs sucked in the 3rd period.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

So Cole did get a record after all: the fastest hat trick to START a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2012032310

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
So Cole did get a record after all: the fastest hat trick to START a game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2012032310
Yes, the Habs record.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Bill Mosienko, 21 seconds.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:00 PM
habdynasty

Erik Cole made Montreal history Friday night by netting the fastest hat trick from the beginning of a game, doing so by scoring three consecutive goals not even six minutes into the first period. Not too fazed by his success, he quickly shone the light on his teammates for the night’s triumph.

Highlights Canadiens - Senators

“There was passion, and especially so from the guys we’re counting on to be a physical presence in our line up,” stated Cole as he was surrounded by a sea of journalists. “As a group we did a good job of being five-man strong and sticking up for one and other, getting guys in on scrums and everything.”

Montreal has seen its physical game grow since claiming Brad Staubitz off waivers on February 27 and after Ryan White made a comeback after missing most of the season due to surgery.

“It’s fun to play these types of games and it’s always fun to play against rivals. We’re happy we got this one tonight,” shared White who dropped the gloves with Sens heavyweight Chris Neil at the end of the first.

“I stick up for my teammates and if we stick together out there can go a long way,” continued the feisty winger. “I don’t know if it was an element missing in our team, but it’s something we definitely need to have and every team needs it. It’s a tough league. You’ve got tough guys on every team and guys playing hard. We just want to make sure are guys are protected, our goalie is protected and our big guns are protected. If we keep playing like that, we’ll be alright.”

The one who witnesses most of this first hand is grateful his team's new, rugged identity.

“I think it’s been pretty huge when you have guys backing you up,” confessed Carey Price. “You play a little bit grittier knowing you’ve got four or five guys who are willing to stick up for you. It gives you more confidence,” he continued.
Teams are a little bit more hesitant to come to the front of the net ever since Whitey stuck up for me,” said the All-Star netminder of White’s actions against the Minnesota Wild on March 1, where he served 22 total minutes for fighting. “Obviously they were going to the front of the net a lot, trying to stir things up, but we had five guys right there willing to stick up for each other

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Erik Cole made Montreal history Friday night by netting the fastest hat trick from the beginning of a game, doing so by scoring three consecutive goals not even six minutes into the first period. Not too fazed by his success, he quickly shone the light on his teammates for the night’s triumph.

Highlights Canadiens - Senators

“There was passion, and especially so from the guys we’re counting on to be a physical presence in our line up,” stated Cole as he was surrounded by a sea of journalists. “As a group we did a good job of being five-man strong and sticking up for one and other, getting guys in on scrums and everything.”

Montreal has seen its physical game grow since claiming Brad Staubitz off waivers on February 27 and after Ryan White made a comeback after missing most of the season due to surgery.

“It’s fun to play these types of games and it’s always fun to play against rivals. We’re happy we got this one tonight,” shared White who dropped the gloves with Sens heavyweight Chris Neil at the end of the first.

“I stick up for my teammates and if we stick together out there can go a long way,” continued the feisty winger. “I don’t know if it was an element missing in our team, but it’s something we definitely need to have and every team needs it. It’s a tough league. You’ve got tough guys on every team and guys playing hard. We just want to make sure are guys are protected, our goalie is protected and our big guns are protected. If we keep playing like that, we’ll be alright.”

The one who witnesses most of this first hand is grateful his team's new, rugged identity.

“I think it’s been pretty huge when you have guys backing you up,” confessed Carey Price. “You play a little bit grittier knowing you’ve got four or five guys who are willing to stick up for you. It gives you more confidence,” he continued.
Teams are a little bit more hesitant to come to the front of the net ever since Whitey stuck up for me,” said the All-Star netminder of White’s actions against the Minnesota Wild on March 1, where he served 22 total minutes for fighting. “Obviously they were going to the front of the net a lot, trying to stir things up, but we had five guys right there willing to stick up for each other
Wow ! it took the management 2/3 of a season (+ many previous seasons) to find out something we knew all along !

Good enough reason to kick them out a.s.a.p.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:06 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Too many blown leads, that's why. They lose by 1-2 goals because all year long the Habs sucked in the 3rd period.
It makes me sick thinking St-Louis has ONE guy over 20 goals, ONE guy over 50 points... And they are leading the WHOLE ****ing league !

Reminds me of the Florida Panthers going to the SC Finals in the late 90's...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote