HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs win 4-3 in Shootout

Old
03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I never expected a contender in 3 years, no, and I want to see Burke and the rest of the management team continue to carry out this plan, but they can and have made mistakes.

Would playing young players like Kadri over Lombardi or Armstrong really put us in a worse position? It's hard to say that it would. To me, Kadri seems to be ready for a legitimate shot at the NHL. Where we sit, wait, and watch as he goes through ups and downs as he starts his NHL career. The AHL has been a good development route for him, but I think this year would have been a great jumping off point for his NHL career instead of stagnating in the AHL. That's not to say more AHL time hasn't benefitted him, but I think he would have gotten valuable experience with the Leafs that he just can't get with the Marlies.
Absolutely agree with this post.

At this time last year I truly believed Kadri was ready for a full-time spot this year. While I do believe Kadri is a better player overall right now than he was last year, the issue for me is that he is still trying to figure out what he can pull off in the NHL. The main reason for that is his longest stint in the NHL has been 17 games, and that was his first ever callup.

That being said, if Kadri keeps up playing the way he has this year, I find it hard to think he isnt on our opening day roster next year

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Yes we do
Only in Fringe where we can go to an alternate universe to see the reality there. Here, we can't project something into the past that did not happen.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Within a year of drafting them, both Zetterberg and Datsyuk shot up Detroit's prospect rankings. Their stock rose so rapidly that both were "can't miss" by the time they arrived in North America.

Like I already said, you don't seem to grasp the nature of what a prospect is.
By the time they came over to NA at the age of 23, they were "can't miss" prospects. That's some seriously talented scouting. My point still remains. Had the Wings had any inkling of the talent those two players would develop, there's no way they would have risked leaving them until the 6th and 7th round. They lucked out on them, simple as that.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

best part was seeing reims actually look good again, it seems like he is returning to form after that injury

03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
best part was seeing reims actually look good again, it seems like he is returning to form after that injury
ever since Tampa, he has looked great, apart from that Boston game

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Jake Gardiner will also be a part of the Calder Cup playoffs this year, and I'm fairly comfortable saying that his development was not stunted by plying his trade at the NHL level this year during his development.

Since the opportunity is similar for Gardiner as it is for Kadri post Leafs season end, than the only thing lost was NHL experience from the later's situation.
Gardiner has been outstanding all year and has arguably been one of our best D, Kadri hasn't done as well and I feel the time he spent down on the Marlies was worth having sent him down, if last night's game was any indication.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
ever since Tampa, he has looked great, apart from that Boston game
we just crap everytime we play against the bruins in general...basically this entire season we have just been intimidated by them come one game.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Be great to see them go on a run here to finish the season. Could get up to 10 or maybe even 9th if they take out Buffalo in the two games.
Not sure if serious ......

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:21 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
By the time they came over to NA at the age of 23, they were "can't miss" prospects. That's some seriously talented scouting. My point still remains. Had the Wings had any inkling of the talent those two players would develop, there's no way they would have risked leaving them until the 6th and 7th round. They lucked out on them, simple as that.
This deserves a mini bump. Good post!!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
What? So smart Leaf fans want to win pointless games that hurt our draft pick because that's making the team better? Please explain how that works? I'm not sure how long you've been a leaf fan but we've been doing that for the past 4 years and guess what? We're swimming in a bowl of mediocrity.
Only in the minds of the uninformed are we swimming in the bowl of mediocrity.

Being accepting of a loss is one thing, but smart Leaf fans cheer for the team they claim to like, and are happy when their young goalie and top prospect (part of that future you claim to care so much about) play key roles in a win, regardless of when that game takes place.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:46 PM
iceblue

Are we stuck on post game thread? No pregame or game day for the game tonight??

Much as this season disappointed, we still have a few games left to watch before next season.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
I fail to see how 8 meaningless games at the end of the year is gonna further their development. It certainly didn't further the team's development the last 2 years. History shows us that these wins accomplish nothing.
Those eight meaningless games would allow our inexperienced core to get accustomed to the game at the NHL level in a low pressure environment.

If we're out of the play offs we may as well experiment with NHL ready prospects and different line combinations in order to see what needs addressing in the off season.

I know we'd all like a number one pick but I for one would be pretty disheartened if the Leafs threw every game for the rest of the season and our gm had no idea how all of his potential players played in a new system prior to making trades in the off season.

You can draft high every year and still finish in a subpar position. Look at Edmonton and Columbus.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
we just crap everytime we play against the bruins in general...basically this entire season we have just been intimidated by them come one game.
yup, any goalie that play for us, would look like crap against Boston

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
they have us psychologically defeated this year.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote