HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

They Don't Really Matter Anymore... Canes at the Joe

Old
03-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
They Don't Really Matter Anymore... Canes at the Joe

Meh.

It's finally gotten to the point where it's not going to happen anymore. Still, we've screwed our draft pick enough that I'll cheer for a win, even if it won't do anything.

Lines:

Tlusty - Staal - Larose
Jokinen - Skinner - Ruutu
Bowman - Sutter - Dwyer
Stewart - Brent - Joslin

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Allen
Faulk - Harrison

Detroit: Coming later

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
at home, we might have a chance

at the Joe? we gonna get ****d

but at least it won't hurt our draft slot or our playoff chances which are now prettymuch non-existant.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Could definitely see the Canes winning this in a too little, too late sort of way.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
caniac315

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Could definitely see the Canes winning this in a too little, too late sort of way.
I totally agree. That should be the team motto.

caniac315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
normalpsychology

vCash: 50
i heard the lockerroom vibe is that they still believe they can make the playoffs

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Their magic number is 6 for Washington, 7 for Buffalo. With 7 games left, that'd take a miracle.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
i heard the lockerroom vibe is that they still believe they can make the playoffs

They'll keep believing til their mathmatically out of it... Even if everything went right, they'd still have to win out and lock it up the last game of the season.

Hell, to just get into 8th before the Jackets game, the hurricanes had to win 4 more in a row and others fall apart.

its not gonna happen now.

I honestly just want the Canes to play spoiler now.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I honestly just want the Canes to play spoiler now.
Well, they can sink the Jets and Panthers, if you're okay with the Capitals winning the division...

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:44 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
Not true. Me, Staal and the boys already have our tee times scheduled for mid-April.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:50 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Canes come out ripping tonight. After sleeping on last night's game, I can't help but think that last night's debacle was just one of those games. It totally sucked, but in all honesty, weren't we due for one?

Detroit is 2-6-2 over their last 10, not exactly setting the world on fire. (I can't not mention that they're 28-5-2 at home, however). But despite that totally eee-leet home ice advantage, this team is still only 4th in the Western Conference. There's something very, very wrong about the disparity between home/away records. We've got a real penchant for playing up or down to our opponents, so I'm hopeful we won't get ****ed tonight, even if we do wind up losing.

3-2 victory.

Additionally: I can't help myself, but I'm starting to become a real fan of Drayson Bowman's. The dude looks like he's 12, carries himself like he's 16, but he's certainly played with a lot of poise of late.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:56 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Not true. Me, Staal and the boys already have our tee times scheduled for mid-April.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:56 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I agree re: Bowman. His play has made one of Dwyer, Stewart, or Tlusty expendable, preferably Dwyer since Tlusty/Stewart have some NHL offensive ability. Bowman is probably never going to be the goal scorer he was in juniors, but it seems he has made a fine transition to a 2nd/3rd line tweener role. The main reason he is up over Dalpe, Boychuk, Nash, etc is that he can slot into a 3rd line role since he doesn't shy away from contact and isn't completely lost in his own end unlike the other prospects.

Last edited by vwg*: 03-24-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: probably should add Nodl to the players Bowman could replace, but it's hard to remember Nodl is on our team sometimes...
Old
03-24-2012, 11:06 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchug View Post
Well, they can sink the Jets and Panthers, if you're okay with the Capitals winning the division...
I'm fine with it. Spoiler's not a bad role to have. Almost would feel bad for the Panthers though, first time back in the playoffs in a decade only to end up playing the Pens.

Drayson has been solid in a checking role, I think he's actually catching on to what his game is going to be at the NHL level. Now if he can find his scoring touch from juniors to go with it eventually he'll be a pretty good later round find for us.

Last edited by DaveG: 03-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old
03-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
I agree re: Bowman. His play has made one of Dwyer, Stewart, or Tlusty expendable, preferably Dwyer since Tlusty/Stewart have some NHL offensive ability. Bowman is probably never going to be the goal scorer he was in juniors, but it seems he has made a fine transition to a 2nd/3rd line tweener role. The main reason he is up over Dalpe, Boychuk, Nash, etc is that he can slot into a 3rd line role since he doesn't shy away from contact and isn't completely lost in his own end unlike the other prospects.
I agree, but at least for me Tlusty's 8-game point streak or whatever it got to permanently puts him in a group above Dwyer and Stewart. Shocked to see someone still comparing them.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:12 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'm fine with it. Spoiler's not a bad role to have. Almost would feel bad for the Panthers though, first time back in the playoffs in a decade only to end up playing the Pens.
That would be epic.

I'm sure they enjoyed every bit of the thrashing we took from the Pens in the 09 ECF, so I'd definitely welcome a Pens-Panthers first round series.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I agree, but at least for me Tlusty's 8-game point streak or whatever it got to permanently puts him in a group above Dwyer and Stewart. Shocked to see someone still comparing them.
Tlusty is definitely better than Dwyer and Stewart but I think he's a guy Bowman could eventually replace, especially if Bowman got some of the increased ice time Tlusty has had at times this season. To me, they are almost completely interchangeable players. Tlusty is more proven on the PK, but that's about it.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
That would be epic.

I'm sure they enjoyed every bit of the thrashing we took from the Pens in the 09 ECF, so I'd definitely welcome a Pens-Panthers first round series.
When you're playing for a team a decade removed from the playoffs and you're taunting an opposing team with faux golf swings after the regulation horn, I wouldn't disapprove of a Pens/Panthers series either.

I've never been high on the Panthers to begin with, but watching them get absolutely drilled out of the playoffs without a single victory wouldn't make me cry.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
When you're playing for a team a decade removed from the playoffs and you're taunting an opposing team with faux golf swings after the regulation horn, I wouldn't disapprove of a Pens/Panthers series either.

I've never been high on the Panthers to begin with, but watching them get absolutely drilled out of the playoffs without a single victory wouldn't make me cry.
I felt bad when that happened to the Thrashers, and I wanted them to make a run, but I won't cry if Florida gets creamed. If there's any franchise (mainly for hiring their conspiracy outrage announcers, but also for the sucking) and fanbase that deserves it...

I'd also be happy enough for Winnipeg to miss. The canadian hate for southern teams, selective memory and interpretations of history... Yeah, I'll take Washington winning the division any day. Ovechkin is an ass, but I don't have any real beef with the team or fans as a whole.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I'd also be happy enough for Winnipeg to miss. The canadian hate for southern teams, selective memory and interpretations of history... Yeah, I'll take Washington winning the division any day. Ovechkin is an ass, but I don't have any real beef with the team or fans as a whole.
Once Winnipeg gets moved to an appropriate division I'll be fine with them making the playoffs. But not while they're in the Southeast and certainly not this year. The absurdity of what we've seen from the Canadian media hyping things after the move, the complete dismissal of what history they had in Atlanta, and quite frankly the sheer arrogance are enough to turn me off the team until we don't have to see them more then twice a year.

Am I happy that Winnipeg got a team? absolutely. But it should have come via expansion, or in Phoenix (sorry Yotes fans) re-relocating. But after seeing the **** that ASG pulled in the sale (including rejecting bids that were for all 3 entities, rather then just the NBA team and the arena for the sheer reason that it would mean keeping an NHL team in town) and the outright refusal of the league to step in and do anything to keep the team just makes me sick.

Then to hear the absurdity all over HF that they'll for sure make the playoffs because the Southeast is weak, and because they have the backing of the fans in Winnipeg is just ****ing ridiculous. They certainly weren't making it before as Atlanta, and the team did nothing to improve its roster, being in a different city with different fans is a marginal difference at best.

As I said, I won't give a **** if they make it once they're out of our division. Hell I may even pull for it to happen. But right now, while they're in our division, after seeing the vitriol the Canadian media has had towards the southeast for years only ramped up to another level after this move? No, **** that. And I'll feel the same way about Quebec once they get another team too.

And don't get me started on the team being called the Jets. It's like they're trying to whitewash history, and the media is just simply letting them get away with it. Hopefully there at least Quebec will have the balls to say "this is a different franchise, calling them the Nordiques would be disingenuous". But I doubt it.

sorry for the rant.

and no, i have no anger towards the fans themselves. much of what is going on with the fans is all in good fun (booing the other teams best player) or being fueled by the media. if anyone needs to take the blame for this it's the Canadian media all the way up to TSN.

Last edited by DaveG: 03-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Dave pretty much nailed it on how I feel about Winnipeg as of now.

I pretty much hate every SE team, especially the Jets (always hated the Thrashers) and Panthers. I'm sort of indifferent about the Lightning and I have a very, very mild interest in the Caps organization since their ECHL farm team is down here.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Once Winnipeg gets moved to an appropriate division I'll be fine with them making the playoffs. But not while they're in the Southeast and certainly not this year. The absurdity of what we've seen from the Canadian media hyping things after the move, the complete dismissal of what history they had in Atlanta, and quite frankly the sheer arrogance are enough to turn me off the team until we don't have to see them more then twice a year.

Am I happy that Winnipeg got a team? absolutely. But it should have come via expansion, or in Phoenix (sorry Yotes fans) re-relocating. But after seeing the **** that ASG pulled in the sale (including rejecting bids that were for all 3 entities, rather then just the NBA team and the arena for the sheer reason that it would mean keeping an NHL team in town) and the outright refusal of the league to step in and do anything to keep the team just makes me sick.

Then to hear the absurdity all over HF that they'll for sure make the playoffs because the Southeast is weak, and because they have the backing of the fans in Winnipeg is just ****ing ridiculous. They certainly weren't making it before as Atlanta, and the team did nothing to improve its roster, being in a different city with different fans is a marginal difference at best.

As I said, I won't give a **** if they make it once they're out of our division. Hell I may even pull for it to happen. But right now, while they're in our division, after seeing the vitriol the Canadian media has had towards the southeast for years only ramped up to another level after this move? No, **** that. And I'll feel the same way about Quebec once they get another team too.

And don't get me started on the team being called the Jets. It's like they're trying to whitewash history, and the media is just simply letting them get away with it. Hopefully they at least Quebec will have the balls to say "this is a different franchise, calling them the Nordiques would be disingenuous". But I doubt it.

sorry for the rant.

and no, i have no anger towards the fans themselves. much of what is going on with the fans is all in good fun (booing the other teams best player) or being fueled by the media. if anyone needs to take the blame for this it's the Canadian media all the way up to TSN.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Bravo sir!!

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:39 PM
totalkev

Anybody know who's in goal? I think one thing the four-game winning streak and the struggles of the Eastern Conference bubble teams has glossed over is that Cam has been pretty average this year. I think he sucked early, got hot for a little while, then has been very average down the stretch, all leading to a decidedly un-clutch effort in Columbus that deflated the entire team. Granted, he's our only chance if we're ever going to be in the playoffs again, but for now, I'd give Boucher plenty of time. Cam just hasn't been very good this year.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Eh I thought Ward had been fine down the stretch this year up until last nights game. But I'm honestly hoping it's Boucher. The playoffs are prettymuch toast and Ward could use a night off after what happened last night.

Doing some math right now on this

Cam's breakdown by month:

October: 245/264 - .928
November: 365/410 - .890
December: 295/336 - .878
January: 339/359 - .944
Feburary: 205/222 - .923
March: 338/367 - .921

FWIW, before last nights game Cam was 317 of 341 for this month, good for a .930 sv%

Last edited by DaveG: 03-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Anybody know who's in goal? I think one thing the four-game winning streak and the struggles of the Eastern Conference bubble teams has glossed over is that Cam has been pretty average this year. I think he sucked early, got hot for a little while, then has been very average down the stretch, all leading to a decidedly un-clutch effort in Columbus that deflated the entire team. Granted, he's our only chance if we're ever going to be in the playoffs again, but for now, I'd give Boucher plenty of time. Cam just hasn't been very good this year.
Nothing yet on whether it will be Ward or Boucher.

Just read through Detroit's injuries, and yikes.

Also read that we're 14-0-1 at the Joe since 1989, so they could probably pull a bunch of traffic cones from the parking lot and do just as well against us.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:12 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:

And don't get me started on the team being called the Jets. It's like they're trying to whitewash history, and the media is just simply letting them get away with it. Hopefully there at least Quebec will have the balls to say "this is a different franchise, calling them the Nordiques would be disingenuous". But I doubt it.

sorry for the rant.

Very well put.

I am still annoyed that they are called the Jets again. I do have a feeling though when Quebec gets another team, they will follow the new precent and call themselves the Nordiques.

And I am getting fairly sick of the attitude that the Canadian media has toward us. I mean it's not like the Canadian teams have done better than us in the past decade or so. We've earned our spot in the NHL

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote