HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is it really that big of deal?

Old
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Is it really that big of deal?

If we finish 1st or 4th?

Seriously, we should be thankful for the great hockey we've witnessed the majority of the season. I too want to see this team finish 1st but if they don't I won't be too upset it's a heck of a lot better than 8th.

So enough of the debbie downer crap.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
When you play the way they played the entire season it's disappointing to not finish first. It has a 05-06 quality to it. Play great all season and collapse at the end.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
glad you said something about this.

If we finish first, we might play Buffalo, or Winnepeg in the first round.

If the Pens finish first, we'll finish 4th and most likely play the Devils or Flyers.

I'm hoping we finish 1st.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
EEDAWGZ

Home ice advantage is nice too

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Yes.

I'd rather have home ice and the chance to play a Buffalo in the 1st round than Philly or NJ.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
When you play the way they played the entire season it's disappointing to not finish first. It has a 05-06 quality to it. Play great all season and collapse at the end.
Can't disagree, just saying "oh well" considering outside of the first 10 games or so this is the worst we've looked all year. Pens may be peaking granted they are a very talented team they just aren't as good as they look during a high. Similar to Boston earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post

If the Pens finish first, we'll finish 4th and most likely play the Devils or Flyers.

I too hope for first but we've done well against the Devils and Flyers this season they don't scare me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Home ice advantage is nice too
That's the one thing that I want more than record pts or wins for a season, it is nice especially for the Rangers as the home crowd really gets behind them in the playoffs, plus the home games are a blast to watch.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Yes.

I'd rather have home ice and the chance to play a Buffalo in the 1st round than Philly or NJ.
we do have home ice in Jersey

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Vitto79

its going to go down right to the end of the yr with the Pens......its likely a good thing cause the team wont coast into the playoffs.........they are playing meaningful games with trying to take the East.............in the end it would blow if the had the 2nd best record then got 4th and played Philly cause they will kill each other in the first round

Dont mean to be negative sounding cause I am really not but I dont expect them to win the cup this yr. I do expect it within 3 yrs though........this team is still young and only now turning the corner

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
for the record this would not be a collapse. The Pens are stupid good, its the truth, no one else is even a threat.......you realize they have won a few cups right? Competing with the Pens should be refreshing overall

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

It just sucks that we've been in first the whole year and lose it in the final stretch. But at the beginning of the year you told me we'd finish 4 th in the East I would've been ecstatic.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
It just sucks that we've been in first the whole year and lose it in the final stretch. But at the beginning of the year you told me we'd finish 4 th in the East I would've been ecstatic.
A point I meant to make in the OP but spaced it lol, we all hoped for a 4th place finish thinking that would be a good spot to reach for, I think a 4th place finish still exceeds most expectations.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post

The Rangers actually show up to play their hated rivals though. If its not for a blown call or a bad stanchion at the rock, we have 5 wins in that series. I would rather play 3 divisional foes in the playoffs because I know we can beat them. We have had a hard time against buffalo (It seems every game but the last one went to a shootout. Miller is great). I want to see great hockey this postseason. I want to see the Rangers beat the Flyers, Devils, and Pens in a postseason. That my friends would be a post season I could drink to.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Do people really think that Pittsburgh is going to stay this hot the remainder of the season? I don't see it. No team can play at that level for that long. If they do, they win the East. You have to commend them for it, not bash the Rangers for playing a decent stretch of hockey and Pittsburgh having to literally win every game to catch them.

Remember Boston being really hot? Detroit? Now it's Pittsburgh. We'll see how long it lasts. They can't play THIS well for the remainder of the season + the entire playoffs.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
for the record this would not be a collapse. The Pens are stupid good, its the truth, no one else is even a threat.......you realize they have won a few cups right? Competing with the Pens should be refreshing overall
What few cups? Are you counting 91 and 92?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Do people really think that Pittsburgh is going to stay this hot the remainder of the season? I don't see it. No team can play at that level for that long. If they do, they win the East. You have to commend them for it, not bash the Rangers for playing a decent stretch of hockey and Pittsburgh having to literally win every game to catch them.

Remember Boston being really hot? Detroit? Now it's Pittsburgh. We'll see how long it lasts. They can't play THIS well for the remainder of the season + the entire playoffs.
If they play like this the rest of the season, they win the cup and there's not much any team can do about it except play them strong and try to outlast them.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
What few cups? Are you counting 91 and 92?
they did go to two cups in a row against an amazing Detroit team.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
If Jaroslav Halak can stone them, I don't see why Henrik Lundqvist couldn't.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
If we finish 1st or 4th?

Seriously, we should be thankful for the great hockey we've witnessed the majority of the season. I too want to see this team finish 1st but if they don't I won't be too upset it's a heck of a lot better than 8th.

So enough of the debbie downer crap.
I can't speak for others, but I'm more upset that the team has been going downhill since January. We were playing such good, consistent hockey but the past few months we've been hot and cold. I'm more upset about the fact that I see our dreams of a deep playoff run fading fast. The kind of hockey we've been playing the past 3 weeks won't get us out of the 1st round.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
they did go to two cups in a row against an amazing Detroit team.
Fire your fact checker

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:52 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

I'm glad you brought up Boston and Detroit's hot streaks. How long did they last? Cause I remember them being hot for a long ****ing time.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:01 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Fire your fact checker
Why? They went to the SC finals twice in a row. They lost the first and won the second. Do I need to elaborate? Those Detroit teams were GREAT as were those Pens teams. 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. Fire your fact checker bro.
If Malkin and Crosby don't get hurt last year I think they win the cup.
****tsburgh is the best team in the league with Crosby and Malkin and they are still a good team without them.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Why? They went to the SC finals twice in a row. They lost the first and won the second. Do I need to elaborate? Those Detroit teams were GREAT as were those Pens teams. 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. Fire your fact checker bro.
Yep, I cant read. Thought you said won two cups. My bad.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:08 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yep, I cant read. Thought you said won two cups. My bad.
On second though, I can see why you would have read it that way. Should've said went to 2 SC finals in a row instead of just cups.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

For me it has nothing to do with the seeding. It's about going in looking like crap. If I had the choice I'd rather go in as a hot 4 seed than a cold 1 seed.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
For me it has nothing to do with the seeding. It's about going in looking like crap. If I had the choice I'd rather go in as a hot 4 seed than a cold 1 seed.
Exactly.

We can't expect to do much in the playoffs, regardless of seating with our current play. We need to find some consistent offensive threat. We need to do that quickly.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote