HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scotty Bowman on the Avs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
  #1
jake07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Scotty Bowman on the Avs

According to Scotty Bowman in his column in the Le Journal de Montreal, the Avs are lucky to battle for series mainly because of the shooting, or they have an excellent record that makes this year.Bowman say a shootout is not a concept team.

Im not like this guy,i think he hates the Avs for a long years when he coach Detroit

jake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
  #2
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Link?

And I'm not incensed about Bowman's assessment. WE ARE lucky to be in a playoff race because of the shootout. By the same token though, three point games are keeping a lot of these other teams in it as well.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
  #3
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 32,323
vCash: 50
It's a pointless discussion. The rules are what the rules are. Being good in SO/OT is better than not being good at it. Avs have no reason to apologize for it. If the rules were different or if Avs had less faith in their shooters/goalie in SO, they might approach third periods and overtimes differently and their record would reflect that.

Bowman might as well said Avs would be solidly in a playoff spot if they didn't have almost hundred minutes more of PK than PP.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
  #4
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz
 
JWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 303
Country: South Korea
Posts: 11,908
vCash: 0
What does he think about the Devils?

JWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
  #5
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake07 View Post
According to Scotty Bowman in his column in the Le Journal de Montreal, the Avs are lucky to battle for series mainly because of the shooting, or they have an excellent record that makes this year.Bowman say a shootout is not a concept team.

Im not like this guy,i think he hates the Avs for a long years when he coach Detroit
Tu ne parles pas l'anglais

Désolé, c'est très drôle

Thanks though. Any team threatened is going to try to make cracks at a team

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
  #6
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Landeslog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,243
vCash: 500
Can't say I disagree. But I also think the teams with 13 loser points (ahem...Calgary) should feel even luckier

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
  #7
jake07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Tu ne parles pas l'anglais

Désolé, c'est très drôle

Thanks though. Any team threatened is going to try to make cracks at a team
i make effort loll

jake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
  #8
Jaymond Flurrie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
In my opinion the standings system is pretty fair to Avs when it all evens out. Sure, go ahead and cherry pick one way or another, but I think Avs are where they deserve to be.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
  #9
Unaffiliated
Registered User
 
Unaffiliated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,253
vCash: 500
It's still perfectly understandable

Bowman thinks shootout success is the real reason we're in the playoff race, which will not translate well to the postseason.
OP thinks Bowman just hates us from back when we were huge rivals with DET.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
  #10
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 900
Scotty Bowman can go sit on a porcupine.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
  #11
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
Saying the Avalanche are lucky to be where they are implies LA and San Jose, both with double digit OT loss totals, should be ahead of them. At least Colorado survives overtime to make it to the shootout.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:36 AM
  #12
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated
 
Pual Statsny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Awesometown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
It's the nature of the beast. A playoff team is a playoff team; you can't adjust the standings by strength of schedule, injuries, AHL callups, or anything else even if objectively they influence point systems, too. I think that the fact of the matter is that the Avs have spent a good portion of the season being a terrible team but since acquiring some players to round out their scoring they have all of the tools to be a playoff team. Should be an interesting playoff race nonetheless.

Bowman would certainly be singing a different tune if he were the executive of a team on the bubble.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  #13
Gumballhead
Registered User
 
Gumballhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Scotty Bowman can go sit on a porcupine.
It already looks like he shaves with one.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
  #14
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,358
vCash: 500
The standings wouldn't change much even if all SO were T.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
  #15
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 50
Who cares what this tool has to say.

If the NHL has ANY brains whatsoever, they would EXTEND the 4 on 4 overtime from 5 to 10 minutes (or even 20 minutes in my mind) because let's really face it, THAT'S THE REAL SHOW, not the crappy penalty shots.

The percentage of completed games would go UP by 50%, possibly even more and there would be WAYYYY less talk of crappy shootout victories.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
  #16
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,445
vCash: 500
Didn't he have an article recently back talking about how we have a great future?

Whatever, he hates the Avs and we hate him. It should be no other way.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  #17
Gumballhead
Registered User
 
Gumballhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Who cares what this tool has to say.

If the NHL has ANY brains whatsoever, they would EXTEND the 4 on 4 overtime from 5 to 10 minutes (or even 20 minutes in my mind) because let's really face it, THAT'S THE REAL SHOW, not the crappy penalty shots.

The percentage of completed games would go UP by 50%, possibly even more and there would be WAYYYY less talk of crappy shootout victories.
Yeah, the 5 minute OT is stupid. I can understand not playing endless OT's but they need to give the teams a chance to really settle it. If they feel they need to expand the roster or game day lineup, then do that as well. Overtime is EXCITING.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:10 PM
  #18
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,207
vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Who cares what this tool has to say.

If the NHL has ANY brains whatsoever, they would EXTEND the 4 on 4 overtime from 5 to 10 minutes (or even 20 minutes in my mind) because let's really face it, THAT'S THE REAL SHOW, not the crappy penalty shots.

The percentage of completed games would go UP by 50%, possibly even more and there would be WAYYYY less talk of crappy shootout victories.
Yeah, but I find myself saying "C,mon Hejduk, bury it..." more during the shootout than I do during OT.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:14 PM
  #19
freeboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
so whats wrong with being lucky??
I think a teams over all " luck" is a reflection of many intangibles...
is it lucky when a puck bounces around and goes in? of course.. but that luck gets generated by the pucks on net etc... like my favorite "improved player" for the avs.. Cody Mcloud, he actually is playing pretty well... has some good hockey goals, but also some stupid lucky goals... like the one where he lobbed the puck towards the goallie and the goalie acted like he never saw it, perhaps lost in the crowd background..
so I will take "luck" any day, BUT if he ment to say we do not have the talent to compete in the playoffs , performance in the shootout only means we win in shootout.. it does not mean we cannot win close game etc etc
Go avs

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.