HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #8 (fighting off zzzz's)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 08:52 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #8 (fighting off zzzz's)

Well, I can't believe I'm still awake. That game was sloppy and disorganized and downright boring. We did not play very well at all. You can really tell we're missing players right now. This game wouldn't have beaten many teams in the league tonight. Keepin this preamble simple, on to the player reports.........

Back of the bus

Shawn Horcoff....errr....PPL.....errr...anchor.....errrr ....Clearcoff. Whatever you wanna call him, this guy is playing brutal. Not to mention he got absolutely knocked silly. Offensively he's not doing anything, Defensively he's running around, in the neutral zone it's even worse. He's seriously lucky Reasoner and Comrie aren't in the lineup.

The blimp pilot: Seriously, the guy crashed the blimp! Multiple times! Even onto the ice! They had to haul the thing off. Brutal night man!

Middle of the road

Ferguson was mediocre, but he CANNOT let other teams take runs at our scorers like he did tonight, he was on the ice for multiple ugly hits and did nothing.

Staios was decent tonight, Brewer was okay, Smith the same, Cross too, Bergeron was a mixed bag. Some very nice plays, got burnt once, makes a play that only he seems to be willing to make from our zone and starts the winning goal. Good game, but not great.

Tony made alot happen with his speed, Georges was pretty good but didn't get results, Stoll is still solid, Moreau could've had a very good game, Pisani didn't do much, Chimera and Hemsky were stuck with the anchor, had decent games but Hemsky kept getting double and triple coverage and couldn't get the puck to Chimera who was actually doing a fairly decent job of getting open. Radek skated with some intensity tonight but instead of letting a Bondra-esque ripper go on his rushes, he either passed, stopped, or flopped one at the net. Torres was average. Smyth until his goal was quite ordinary.

Valiquette had a decent night workin the gate and the water bottles, solid effort Stevey. At least we're not payin ya $3.9 mil!

Leading the way

Mike York had an excellent game, shame he wasn't the 3rd star instead of Smyth. Very good read to get open and let MAB find him, then feed Smyth on the doorstep. On his goal, displayed excellent patience and simply put it in the wide open net. We need this Mike York alot more often.

Ty Conklin: I repeat- TY! TY! TY! TY! TY!
The only reason we won tonight was because this guy wasn't letting anything by. He's all over the place, he's fearless, he plays the puck, he flat-out makes big saves. Got unlucky with Brew kicking his stick or he woulda had the SO tonight. ATTABOY TY! You've done somethin Tommy hasn't done in quite some time.

------------

Like I said before, we don't win this game most nights. Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy.

We need to learn to carry the puck deep on the PP, instead of stopping 1/4 of the way into the opposition zone to set up some strange play.

And oh yeah, there are TWO sides to the ice, even on the PP, not just ONE.

If Marty's out for even longer than originally suspected, we need reinforcements, NOW!

GET RID OF THE USELESS BLIMP ALREADY!

At least we got the 'W'

I'll end with a: cut the anchor and throw it overboard!

and a

TY! TY! TY! TY! TY!

and I'm gone.....

Old
11-15-2003, 09:07 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
pretty decent assesment. Agreed with you on everypoint, including the brutal clod hoppers (or whatever they're called) blimp. I think it was great at the start of the game for Rod Phillips. He's so deserving, and it showed that it really touched him.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:17 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Mike York had an excellent game, shame he wasn't the 3rd star instead of Smyth. Very good read to get open and let MAB find him, then feed Smyth on the doorstep. On his goal, displayed excellent patience and simply put it in the wide open net. We need this Mike York alot more often.

Ty Conklin: I repeat- TY! TY! TY! TY! TY!
The only reason we won tonight was because this guy wasn't letting anything by. He's all over the place, he's fearless, he plays the puck, he flat-out makes big saves. Got unlucky with Brew kicking his stick or he woulda had the SO tonight. ATTABOY TY! You've done somethin Tommy hasn't done in quite some time.
Well we sure can agree to agree here!

Old
11-15-2003, 09:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

im not even going to bothing posting as it would repeat what he said...they need to find a blimp guy who can go in night in, night out and perform on a consistant basis...one night they have one guy at the control and a new guy the next....consistancy consistancy consistancy....

Old
11-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Digger12

You know, Hemsky's been getting on my nerves lately (how do you not get a single shot on goal during a 6 game road trip??), but I had no problems with him tonight. The thing I find with Hemmer is that you can usually tell in his first couple of shifts if he's going to be a factor or not tonight...and he was involved early in this game, at least physically. For the first time in a while he was actually hitting people again. I almost felt sorry for him tonight, because you can tell as soon as he gets the puck he just gets swarmed. Horcoff and Chimera are getting ZERO respect from their opponents right now, when that line's been on the ice it's all about getting Hemsky...the other two guys don't even warrant consideration.

I think it'll do a world of good to get Isbister back, because maybe then we can see some of these mishmash lines get sorted out.

Dvo/York/Torres and Stoll/BG/Salmo were the only two lines that did anything for me tonight. The other two lines could stand for some changes.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:31 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Can someone please tell me why Clearcoff is getting so much wuality ice time? he was simply BRUTAL...Doesnt MacT have another cleary fetish with the PPL?

Old
11-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
Can someone please tell me why Clearcoff is getting so much wuality ice time? he was simply BRUTAL...Doesnt MacT have another cleary fetish with the PPL?
Perhaps because Horcoff and Stoll were the only two natural centers left in the starting lineup?

Marchant gone
Comrie as good as gone
Reasoner injured for the next month

Our top 3 centers from last year...

Me wearing speedos isn't as scary as the Oilers' center depth at the moment.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:52 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Perhaps because Horcoff and Stoll were the only two natural centers left in the starting lineup?

Marchant gone
Comrie as good as gone
Reasoner injured for the next month

Our top 3 centers from last year...

I think it's a credit to our GREAT depth that we can have our top three centers from last year not playing and still win games and compete (even if it wasn't that good of an effort). There isn't a SINGLE team in the NHL that you could take their top three centers away and have the team be as succesful as the Oilers have.

I just pray that Reasoner's injury doesn't do to him, what Smyth's injury a couple years ago (also going into the boards) did to him!

Old
11-15-2003, 09:54 PM
OYLer

Ban Speedoes At Hfboards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Trust me here pleeeeeease!! don't post a picture to test that theory!

Old
11-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
pretty decent assesment. Agreed with you on everypoint, including the brutal clod hoppers (or whatever they're called) blimp. I think it was great at the start of the game for Rod Phillips. He's so deserving, and it showed that it really touched him.
It was a great cheer the Oiler Fans let out for Rod tonight...he was getting emotional, I could see a tear

Old
11-15-2003, 10:19 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
It was a great cheer the Oiler Fans let out for Rod tonight...he was getting emotional, I could see a tear
yep, me too! He did the little tap/pat to the heart to show he was touched. He was completely not expecting it too, you could tell - did you see him when Morley stood up!? it was great! was 630 on a commercial break at the time or what was going on? I'd love to hear his "SCOOOOOOOOOOORRREZ.... RYAN SMYTH" from the OT goal. I some times will listen to him even when the game is on T.V (mute the T.V. and turn up the radio), but it just isn't the same, as what you hear on the Radio (especially from Rod Phillips) isn't EXACTLY what is going on and you can really see how he gets excited - but I love it, and I wouldn't have it anyother way!

Old
11-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Mr Sakich

i agree except with brewer. IMO, he was one of the best dman tonight and he played all his minutes against iggy. He is the anchor of the defense.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Allan

Quote:
I just pray that Reasoner's injury doesn't do to him, what Smyth's injury a couple years ago (also going into the boards) did to him!
Well, Reasoner won't have the big plate in his ankle, which Smyth said dug into him and was quite painful when he skated, and he won't be out nearly as long, so with any luck, he'll be back to the Marty Reasoner we know and love six weeks from now.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:33 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
i agree except with brewer. IMO, he was one of the best dman tonight and he played all his minutes against iggy. He is the anchor of the defense.
Credit were it's due.

I was happy with Brewer tonight.

How often do I say that?

Ever wonder what he would have been like as a forward?

Big rangey winger with the wheels?

Not something I've given alot of thought to. Just popped into my head momentarily. I'm sure it's full of holes....

Old
11-16-2003, 08:25 AM
theoil

It just seems to me that ever since Sutter took over as coach in Calgary that one of the main focuses of his improving the Flames and restoring pride to that organization is to beat the Oilers every chance they get. I think he sees Edemonton as being the focus of getting back into the playoffs and has his players convinced that the Oil are occupying the spot that they deserve to have and that as a result they come out with the intensity of a playoff game. The Oilers, on the other hand, seem to come out against the Flames with the attitude that the Flames are a bad team not worth getting up for. Even the game before last night where it started with 3 fights saw Edmonton relax 5 minutes into the game and Calgary carry the play. I only saw the 3rd and OT last night due to being such a good husband but it looked the same way again. The Flames were playing their 7th game of the Stanley Cup final and the Oilers were not. It looked better than the previous games but the Flames are still clearly outworking the Oilers.

That said I think they hurt themselves badly because doing so because you can't match that intensity over an 82 game schedule and imo the Sutters always burn their players out during the regular season. But it is hard to watch, since I, like most Oil fans, hate losing to the Flames more than any other team.

As I like to point out to Flames fans. We have had good times and bad times and times we would like to forget but at least we have never been reduced to hiring a Sutter.

Old
11-17-2003, 03:50 AM
M00se

I was at the game Saturday night, and I just wanted to mention that I thought that Hemsky while not great offensivly played great defensivly. He blocked a couple shots, was forchecking and took the body a couple times. The main reason I thought that there was no offence today was the fact that MacT put out those incredibly retarded lines. Smyth with Moreau and Pisiani? Hemsky with Chimera and Horcoff? What a complete waste of those guys skills. If it wasn't for York's line we would have lost. On the plus side I thought that the Stoll line was great. Laraque was taking the body and stirring things up, while I don't know what the numbers were it seemed like Stoll was winning more faceoff then loesing (the only Oiler), and Salmo was creating opportunities.

However, I do have to agree with all your assessments the Oilers were lucky to pull out the win they sure didn't deserve it, Ty stole one. If Salo was in goal the score was easily 4-1 and there is no overtime.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
However, I do have to agree with all your assessments the Oilers were lucky to pull out the win they sure didn't deserve it, Ty stole one. If Salo was in goal the score was easily 4-1 and there is no overtime.
I love these comments...

Thanks JoJo

Old
11-17-2003, 06:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

ya, I can't believe Salo takes flak when he's not even in the ****** game! brutal. I don't care how much he's making or what his stats are, when you have to start talking about "what if this guy" after a game that he wasn't in then you're mentaly troubled. Conklin didn't face one pointblank chance from the Flames all night. There were a couple decent chances, but nothing special that's for sure! The team simply played about 150% better defensively, giving up perimeter and low % shots, instead of keeping the other team to only a few, VERY high % chances.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:08 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
There were a couple decent chances, but nothing special that's for sure!
How does that work? Calgary claims Conklin was "exceptional" and you're saying "nothing special"

Closed Thread