HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012 NYR Playoff Thread

Old
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Small chance that we keep the division, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Either way, I am not really panicking. The Rangers have to work out kinks quickly either way.

Its not like winning first was a surefire hit either. The Rangers still have to get the monkey off their backs with the Caps. Granted, Philly is a much harder matchup(but thats the breaks, you can't expect to go through the playoffs playing the florida's, Buffalo's, Winnipeg's).

I am much more concerned that they start looking like the team earlier in the season than winning the division.

Exactly and that's why Philly gets me nervous moreso than Caps for instance. We haven't played since the all-star break like we were. If we were, I'd not fear anyone and obviously we wouldn't be in position we are in where #1 seed is likely a pipe dream. We have 8 games to get our $hit together and if our boys can't put together consistant performances EVERY game like we were, I don't care if its Buffalo or Florida let alone a red-hot Philly,we can easily be one and done. I'm hopeful but forget hope as that aint going to get us through this stretch. Executing the basics, getting some clutch goals for a change of pace like Cally's the other night vs Detroit and Hank stopping everything in sight is what is needed.

Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
If the Rangers win tonight, pressure is still on the Pens. Anything can happen.

I'm kind of shocked that people are mailing in 1st place with 8 games left and we have the lead.

Must be Mets fans.
It's a little discouraging when your team is playing .500 hockey while the team you're battling with hasn't lost a game in regulation in over a month.

03-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
That's why I'm cautious of it. But the Habs gave them a run for their money. They went to OT in game 7.

Philly might have even been favored, as everyone remembered Boston's choke job against them last year. Beating them in 4 I'm sure gave them a boost.

Tampa gave them a hard time as well. Another Game 7. Horton scored the 1-0 goal with 7 minutes to go in the third.

Vancouver-I was skeptical of them since the first round. The horrible games they played in Chicago transferred over to the Finals.
All those teams gave Boston problems, because Boston(calling a spade a spade)wasn't that great of a team. They were good, but they benefited greatly from a weak EC.

Sometimes weaker teams win cups. Last year that was the case. You can't look at the aberrations as the blueprint. I would rather look at a team like Chicago, that was a high quality team.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
If the Rangers win tonight, pressure is still on the Pens. Anything can happen.

I'm kind of shocked that people are mailing in 1st place with 8 games left and we have the lead.

Must be Mets fans.

Shocked? Playing .500 inconsistant hockey in all facets which is 180 degree turnaround from the way 90% of the way the rest of our pretty amazing season has been whereas our main competitor looking like a friggin freight train winning pretty much every stinken game by 3+ goals a game can do that to a justifiably jaded fan base...no? So shocked is hardly the adjective I'd use. Realistic is more like it. Been a fan for many years going back to the Ratelle,Hadfield,Park and Eddie years. I've seen this very same tape played over and over and over again thru the years and its happening again.

Sure this team looks dang good and there is a different feel to it compared to most years. It's a team that surely has overachieved but let's be realistic here, Penguins are rolling at the right time and we aren't. So even with a 1 pt lead currently, its only a matter of time before we head to the 4 spot where we have our matchup with the Flyers which is not a matchup that has me doing cartwheels considering they are firing on all cylinders as well and which was the point of the thread anyways

Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
All those teams gave Boston problems, because Boston(calling a spade a spade)wasn't that great of a team. They were good, but they benefited greatly from a weak EC.

Sometimes weaker teams win cups. Last year that was the case. You can't look at the aberrations as the blueprint.
Yes you can look at it that way. Obviously Pitt was banged up. Their lottery picks weren't healthy. Philly had a tough time beating Buffalo. Tampa barely edged out the unhealthy Pittsburgh line up, though hive them some credit for winning a series they were down 3-1 in. Vancouver was a mess against Chicago. (Best series last year, IMO) but had a pretty easy time against Nashville and San Jose. So yes, the stars aligned for Boston last year. I was just making a point that sometimes, teams can go all the way facing the aforementioned circumstances. That's all.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
mahonistan*

Jesus it's like we aren't in the playoffs. I remember last year when people were saying "if we make it in we have a shot to go far." Now it's "we didn't get first, we may as well throw in the towel."
THIS JUST IN
THE SKY HAS JUST FALLEN THE SKY HAS JUST FALLEN! THE RANGERS SUCK BECAUSE THEY AREN'T UNDEFEATED! TRADE EVERYONE!

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
It's very unlikely the Penguins continue this unbeaten run for the rest of the year. We are still in 1st, and have the tiebreaker. Even if the Penguins beat the Sens tonight, we have a very winnable schedule coming up and could easily take back the lead.

I wouldn't say its obvious that we are playing the Flyers.
I don't see much slowing them down. Crosby's return will ensure success. Regardless as to whether how much they have been winning. Any team gets better with one of the top-3 players in the world returning into the line up. Let's just put it this way, I won't be shocked if the Penguins win 7 of their last 9.

And I don't see the Rangers winning much more than 4 or 5 of their last 8.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Jesus it's like we aren't in the playoffs. I remember last year when people were saying "if we make it in we have a shot to go far." Now it's "we didn't get first, we may as well throw in the towel."
THIS JUST IN
THE SKY HAS JUST FALLEN THE SKY HAS JUST FALLEN! THE RANGERS SUCK BECAUSE THEY AREN'T UNDEFEATED! TRADE EVERYONE!
Agreed. This Ranger team is only a handful of teams that have a legit chance to win the Stanley cup. I especially like the chances of this team with Hank in nets.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:11 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
I'm okay with facing the Flyers, but I wouldn't be happy about our seeding. We'd eventually have to beat the Penguins in a seven game series on their home ice, which is just too much to ask for from an offensively mediocre team. It would be the 2008 playoff match up all over again... Out in 5.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but a realist. I'm actually very confident that the Rangers could beat any team in the league with the sole exception being the Pens. The only reasonable chance of beating Pittsburgh is if we have home ice.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 03-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm okay with facing the Flyers, but I wouldn't be happy about our seeding. We'd eventually have to beat the Penguins in a seven game series on their home ice, which is just too much to ask for from an offensively mediocre team. It would be the 2008 playoff match up all over again... Out in 5.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but a realist. I'm actually very confident that the Rangers could beat any team in the league with the sole exception being the Pens. The only reasonable chance of beating Pittsburgh is if we have home ice.
Well chances are if we were to meet the Pens, it wouldn't be until the ECF in that case. I'd bank on the 6 upsetting the 3 which would cause a Devils - Pens matchup and although the Pens are the best team in the league right now, the Devils have had their number. You never know what could happen in a 7 game series.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Well chances are if we were to meet the Pens, it wouldn't be until the ECF in that case. I'd bank on the 6 upsetting the 3 which would cause a Devils - Pens matchup and although the Pens are the best team in the league right now, the Devils have had their number. You never know what could happen in a 7 game series.
Course its very possible for Boston to get knocked out first round.

Our path to ECF could be Philly-Devils-Pitt.

That would be almost impossible to overcome. Even if we made it through all that, I doubt we would have anything in the tank left for SCF.

With that said, even if we keep first place. We still would have to play the Caps, Ottawa, Devils. All teams that can give us problems. The only team the Rangers really can beat outright is a team like Florida or Winnipeg if they were to sneak in. Every other team is not a given. Damn if you do, Damn if you don't

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 03-24-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Course its very possible for Boston to get knocked out first round.

Our path to ECF could be Philly-Devils-Pitt.

That would be almost impossible to overcome. Even if we made it through all that, I doubt we would have anything in the tank left for SCF.
Definitely agree. Which is why I think it's huge to get first but I just don't think it's likely. The Rangers have very little room for error if they want that top spot because let's be honest, Pittsburgh isn't slowing down. I thought the law of averages would factor in at some point but I just gave up with that, they look like world beaters. The Rangers just gotta take care of their own business right now, they can't bank on Pitt losing games because it doesn't look likely.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Definitely agree. Which is why I think it's huge to get first but I just don't think it's likely. The Rangers have very little room for error if they want that top spot because let's be honest, Pittsburgh isn't slowing down. I thought the law of averages would factor in at some point but I just gave up with that, they look like world beaters. The Rangers just gotta take care of their own business right now, they can't bank on Pitt losing games because it doesn't look likely.
Personally I think the ceiling for them is the ECF. They are just not enough of a threat in the offensive zone to be legit SC contenders. The only way this team gets to the dance is if the stars align. Like Pitt suffers a bad injury down the stretch or something.

Honestly, I'm happy with the team. We didn't have to go through the torture of hoping for a playoff spot.

As long as the Rangers work really hard and establish their forechecking better during the playoffs; I will be a happy camper. This is going to be a great learning experience for our younger players. IMO, they are ahead of schedule on where they are supposed to be. This offseason is going to be seeing which of our pieces stay or go.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Jeez. You freaking people. Everyone's eager to give up early so they don't look foolish.

I can seriously only come on the boards when we're winning.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Jeez. You freaking people. Everyone's eager to give up early so they don't look foolish.

I can seriously only come on the boards when we're winning.
Whose giving up? I said this even when they were winning. I am trying to be a realist.

Even if we blow out Toronto tonight, its not going to change how I see this team.

I can say though if Toronto wins, its going to be the apocalypse on this board.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 03-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lol ****ing pathetic bunch.

Not worth my time.
I'm with ya.

I really don't care who we play in the first round as long as it's not the Pens, which it won't be. We will beat NJ, Philly, Washington or Buffalo. Yes, we will. Hopefully by the time we have to play the pens, they'll be beaten up. I bet baby Malkin gets injured before the regular season ends anyway. Just a gut feeling.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

We've got a lead, and the tie-breaker on Pitt. They're on fire right now, but they're not going to win-out.

It's pretty much a 50-50, and people here are treating it as an inevitability

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Personally I think the ceiling for them is the ECF. They are just not enough of a threat in the offensive zone to be legit SC contenders. The only way this team gets to the dance is if the stars align. Like Pitt suffers a bad injury down the stretch or something.

Honestly, I'm happy with the team. We didn't have to go through the torture of hoping for a playoff spot.

As long as the Rangers work really hard and establish their forechecking better during the playoffs; I will be a happy camper. This is going to be a great learning experience for our younger players. IMO, they are ahead of schedule on where they are supposed to be. This offseason is going to be seeing which of our pieces stay or go.
Yeah they've already exceeded my expectations for the regular season and as long as they can get deep into the 2nd round, I'm satisfied as that's what my prediction was going to the season. I didn't think this was a SCF team heading in and I still didn't really see it during the season even though we've sat atop first for a while. Not to say I'm saying there's no way this team gets there and I'm writing the season off but realistically speaking, it will be tough to get there especially with the Pens being hot. I'm extremely happy with the way everything has gone this year as this is just the beginning of what should be a stretch of 3+ years of the team being near the top of the league. I just hope this team doesn't get knocked out in the first round because it would cause everyone here to go nuts and destroy all the good feelings of what was a great season and if we fall to 4th and face Philly, I'm afraid that's what could happen with Bryz playing well now.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
We've got a lead, and the tie-breaker on Pitt. They're on fire right now, but they're not going to win-out.

It's pretty much a 50-50, and people here are treating it as an inevitability
Not sure it's 50-50 when one teams as hot as can be and the other is playing .500 hockey. The one thing the Rangers have going for them is they have an easy schedule this upcoming week which they have to cash in on. Rangers and Pens basically have identical schedules the final week except they have an extra matchup against the Flyers while we have ours against the Caps.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
bubba5

Who cares about first place. Just play some good hockey. Get the bodies rested and healed and come out in the first round like gang busters. Do I want home ice through out, sure, but would rather have a healthy team as little banged up as possible.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
sousuffer

He clearly started this thread so that if this happens, he can claim he "told us so".

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Yeah they've already exceeded my expectations for the regular season and as long as they can get deep into the 2nd round, I'm satisfied as that's what my prediction was going to the season. I didn't think this was a SCF team heading in and I still didn't really see it during the season even though we've sat atop first for a while. Not to say I'm saying there's no way this team gets there and I'm writing the season off but realistically speaking, it will be tough to get there especially with the Pens being hot. I'm extremely happy with the way everything has gone this year as this is just the beginning of what should be a stretch of 3+ years of the team being near the top of the league. I just hope this team doesn't get knocked out in the first round because it would cause everyone here to go nuts and destroy all the good feelings of what was a great season and if we fall to 4th and face Philly, I'm afraid that's what could happen with Bryz playing well now.
Nice, well thought out and articulated post. Well done! You echo my sentiments exactly about the team currently and where we're going 3 or so years down the road. It's a building process for sure and I would also be very pleased with winning the 1st round and being competitive in a 2nd round match-up.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
ck20

Malkin and the Pens show absolutely zero signs of slowing down especially with getting Crosby and Letang back whenever that was, so I don't understand how any of you can say "oh, well they HAVE to start losing.." and are banking on that more than OUR team fixing their 20-30 brain farts a night.

Either way, I'd rather take 4th and pray we can keep rocking Philly like we have all season. But that would probably just been followed by a 2nd round sweep..only time will tell.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Very valid point on Pens-Devils. Ask any Pens fans about Brodeur, they're petrified of him.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Rangers vs Sens/Caps/Sabres- First Round

When we retain the 1 seed, which possible 8 would you rather play?

I'd probably go with the Sens because it means they're continuing to slide. Then I'd go with the Sabres because the Caps have a much better ROW number. They've been screwed by shootout that won't exist in the playoffs.

(if a mod can make a poll that'd be cool)

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote