HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Dudley making me feel better about our future

Old
03-24-2012, 12:39 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Maybe from others, but for me Ive been the guy preaching patience and defense, so next off-season training camp, it should be good for me to see.
The next couple weeks might be interesting.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Maybe from others, but for me Ive been the guy preaching patience and defense, so next off-season training camp, it should be good for me to see.
I really hope you are right. These Leafs have just been a disappointment year in, year out.

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
I really hope you are right. These Leafs have just been a disappointment year in, year out.
Could be that people misunderstood there is a difference elite prospect and good prospect.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:54 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You are correct but I do not understand your point. Would you rather hear nothing? What exactly are you expecting from Dudley?
What I'd rather hear is the rubes have stopped lapping up every trance of positive spin while ignoring annoying things like facts and trends.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Seems to me the tankers have the least patience of all. Their dream is unfolding before their eyes yet they still rant and complain! Tankers, in my opionion talk the talk but do not walk the walk.
Dream?
I can't imagine they're laying awake wondering who the Leafs will pick 6th overall. Personally I'm hoping these past few months have been a blip and the fairly experienced team can be a playoff team next season. I imagine those impatience tankers want the team to bottom out and pick 2nd overall at worst.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Seems to me the tankers have the least patience of all. Their dream is unfolding before their eyes yet they still rant and complain! Tankers, in my opionion talk the talk but do not walk the walk.
No kidding. The way some are talking, it sounds like they only want to be miserable.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Leafs are guaranteed to miss the playoffs and there are 7 games left.

Would you prefer 1st. overall pick or 15th. overall pick?

If you prefer 1st. overall you are a tanker.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

I prefer 15th overall so long as it didn't require mortgaging the future. I like to see my team have a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I prefer 15th overall so long as it didn't require mortgaging the future. I like to see my team have a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup.
Patience is all about waiting for the greater good. Winning now hardly helps the leafs except some marginally better stats in the lastfew games.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

We might get closer to the lottery depending on how we play and how others play or we might not. No sense labeling people as tankers just because they prefer high draft picks cause it's not that black and white.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
We might get closer to the lottery depending on how we play and how others play or we might not. No sense labeling people as tankers just because they prefer high draft picks cause it's not that black and white.
Yes, que sera sera.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:16 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
This is something that Dudley mentioned. He said Burke had a plan and that he won't get swayed by the media, or the fans. He knows what he's going to do have to do to get this team to become elite and he's going to do it.
Bottom pairing dman Komisarek signed to a 5 year deal at $4.5 mil per year with a NMC. 4th line forward Colby Armstrong signed to a 3 year deal at $3 mil per year. AHL quality Brett Lebda signed to a 2 year deal at $1.45 mil per year. Talented but lazy Tim Connolly signed to a 2 year deal at $4.75 mil per year. Phillipe Dupuis brought in to fix our PK. A trade that ended up with us dealing a possible franchise center (Seguin) and a possible franchise dman (Hamilton) for a very skilled but very flawed winger (Kessel). I would say the most important pieces for a team to build around are a legit #1 C, a reliable top pairing 2-way dman, and a legit starting goalie, none of which Burke has been able to acquire. Our 4th straight season as a bottom feeder under Burke, with no legit franchise player to show for it.

But don't worry, Burke has a plan and he's sticking to it, all is well.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:20 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Bottom pairing dman Komisarek signed to a 5 year deal at $4.5 mil per year with a NMC. 4th line forward Colby Armstrong signed to a 3 year deal at $3 mil per year. AHL quality Brett Lebda signed to a 2 year deal at $1.45 mil per year. Talented but lazy Tim Connolly signed to a 2 year deal at $4.75 mil per year. Phillipe Dupuis brought in to fix our PK. A trade that ended up with us dealing a possible franchise center (Seguin) and a possible franchise dman (Hamilton) for a very skilled but very flawed winger (Kessel). I would say the most important pieces for a team to build around are a legit #1 C, a reliable top pairing 2-way dman, and a legit starting goalie, none of which Burke has been able to acquire. Our 4th straight season as a bottom feeder under Burke, with no legit franchise player to show for it.

Ferguson talked about "The Plan" as well.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Ferguson talked about "The Plan" as well.
Trouble was JFK jr prostituted himself by just simply doing what he was told. He was a yes man.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Trouble was JFK jr prostituted himself by just simply doing what he was told. He was a yes man.
Why do you think Peddie hired him? He had no choice but be a yes man if he wanted the job.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Why do you think Peddie hired him? He had no choice but be a yes man if he wanted the job.
If he indeed accepted the job to be a yes man them he should have never opened his mouth about a plan to tank. Cop-out. JFK jr was a sham.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
If he indeed accepted the job to be a yes man them he should have never opened his mouth about a plan to tank. Cop-out. JFK jr was a sham.
Actually he was just an unlucky pilot. JFJ on the other hand would not have been hired as a GM by any other organization. Peddie was the real GM,JFJ was just used to get Quinn out of the way.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
I doubt Ferguson had an interview with Peddie where he was explicitly told that he wasn't in charge of the teams direction. More likely Peddie sized him up as a qualified, likeable chap he could manipulate.

Still Ferguson should have kept the business operations to himself. But who could blame him after Peddie stabbed him in the back by saying he shouldn't have hired him.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
I doubt Ferguson had an interview with Peddie where he was explicitly told that he wasn't in charge of the teams direction. More likely Peddie sized him up as a qualified, likeable chap he could manipulate.

Still Ferguson should have kept the business operations to himself. But who could blame him after Peddie stabbed him in the back by saying he shouldn't have hired him.
Anyone remember that bizarre press conference when Fletcher was hired? Fletcher saying all the things he's supposed to say, and Peddie right next to him actually mouthing the words in time, like he wrote it all for him. The only thing missing to make that picture complete, would have been to have Cliff sitting Peddie's lap, with an arm up his ass. Ventriloquism at it's weirdest.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:42 PM
deprw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Hard to blame Burkes off season signings, since the realistic crop was very thin. We need stop gaps, because we don't have players to fill those roles. Off course it's tragic that you can say that almost every single UFA signing have wen't wrong. What you can do. I though those were good signings. I knew from the start that we can't lure those big fishes to our pond to rebuild this thing. Most players want to win now. After last season, when we had Bozak and Grabo as top2 center position, we needed depth and Connolly is that. When we signed Komisarek & Beauchemin our defense corps was brutal. We were soft as butter before Armstrong and we were after his signing, cos he has been hurt most of the time. Brutal, but was there better and realistic options? You need 23 players for hockey team. You can't throw in team full of 2nd tier prospects, you need NHL players. Record is horrible, but what you can really do. Burke has built our organizational depth to healthy level, so in future we can get more of those depth guys from our own organization. Then we can ditch all those top gaps. Komisarek is tradeable this summer. Lombardi and Armstrong are pending UFAs same with Connolly.

I just hope that Dudley is right, that we are on the verge of good team. Then it's managements problem to turn it into contender stage.

deprw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprw View Post
Komisarek is tradeable this summer. .
I'm starting to think this is along the lines of an urban legend.