HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#75 Rangers @ Leafs

Old
03-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its a misplay, but not on Erixon at all. He did the best he could. Even a hall of fame Defensemen is going to have a hard time on that play. It would only be Erixon's fault if back checkers were able to get back and take the puck carrier.

Hank and Erixon are not to blame for the first goal.
Yeah, any time you're starting to put blame on the goalie or the lone defenseman left in yet another oddman rush, you have to start looking back at the mess that resulted in that play.

It's not Hank's and Erixon's fault they couldn't cover up for this team playing retarded hockey. If you do that, you basically say we are playing hockey which should allow oddman rushes. It's pretty much the opposite of the kind of hockey that made this team successful.

That goal is either on Bickel or the guy who is supposed to cover up for him when he does the patented, retarded NYR D-man pinch that we somehow keep doing, despite measly results pretty much since we started doing it. It's a breakdown in communication and it's on Torts for allowing them to keep doing that stuff.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I just wonder if Lundqvist wasnt in net if NYR would thee RANGERS even be a playoff team and if they are they would be a 7th or 8th seed...

Great 2 points.

they need more scoring,secondary scoring,i just dont get it.The talent is there.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Just because one play caused the situation doesn't absolve another player from responsibility. Kessel went around Erixon to get the puck across. I can't even remember the last time we saw that with Girardi, McDonagh, Staal or even Del Zotto.

It's fine. Erixon is a rookie and rookies make rookie mistakes. But it was still a mistake.
Its not a mistake. He made the right play. The mistake would have been getting too aggressive to the puck carrier and trying to stand him up. He tried to take away the middle, it didn't work.

He was up against Phil Kessel, the opposing teams leading point getter, with another man streaking to his left. Not much he can do, I have seen Ray Bourque get beat on plays just like that as well.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:24 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:26 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Good news: we won
Bad news: we really need get over this hump of letting teams back in a game after we tie or take a lead

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Its not a mistake. He made the right play. The mistake would have been getting too aggressive to the puck carrier and trying to stand him up. He tried to take away the middle, it didn't work.
So there's only one mistake that can be made on that play? Please. He made the right play at the wrong time. The defenseman's job is to take away the pass. He failed (aka, "it didn't work") because he mistimed his commitment. That's called a mistake. Luckily, Tortorella will sit down with him and they'll watch the video and Tortorella will tell him "wait to commit just a half a second more and they have no chance to make the play" and, because Erixon is coachable, he will get it.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:28 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Instant classic.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:

ahahahaha

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Chimp

Quote:

Thanks, I needed that. I really needed that. That, and the national anthem in Ottawa saved my night.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:30 PM
darko

That fistbump was akward lol.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Erixon did take himself out of the play lunging at the Leaf player to the outside. He played a good game and is settling in, but that was definitely an error on his part.

Oh well, he is learning and doing okay. I'm pretty happy that there was someone like him to get called up. And at the right time to get settled before the playoffs.
He didn't lunge at the guy on the outside, he went straight down and tried to take away the pass but Kessel made a real nice pass to slide it just between Erixon and Lundqvist. It was a good attempt, but a better play by Kessel

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:31 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
That fistbump was akward lol.
b-b-b-bump

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:32 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Rangers own the best record in hockey. More wins. More ROW's. Both played 75 games.
yet somehow we suck according to some lol

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:33 PM
useref15

Quote:

gold!

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

That is awesome. Thank you. I guess it was schoenfeld next to him. Too bad the stogie was in his hand

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
So there's only one mistake that can be made on that play? Please. He made the right play at the wrong time. The defenseman's job is to take away the pass. He failed (aka, "it didn't work") because he mistimed his commitment. That's called a mistake. Luckily, Tortorella will sit down with him and they'll watch the video and Tortorella will tell him "wait to commit just a half a second more and they have no chance to make the play" and, because Erixon is coachable, he will get it.
I'm sorry dude but this is just silly.

So the coach is going to tell him to wait a half second more on the next two on 1? That is going to fix it? All you can coach is positioning in that play. Erixon's positioning is fine. The fact that play happened is the problem. If the Defensemen and goalie breaks it up, great. If they don't, thats on Bickel and the back checkers.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He didn't lunge at the guy on the outside, he went straight down and tried to take away the pass but Kessel made a real nice pass to slide it just between Erixon and Lundqvist. It was a good attempt, but a better play by Kessel
Exactly, someone with some common sense.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:36 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'll look at it again with a decent replay. Thanks.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I'm sorry dude but this is just silly.

So the coach is going to tell him to wait a half second more on the next two on 1? That is going to fix it? All you can coach is positioning in that play. Erixon's positioning is fine. The fact that play happened is the problem. If the Defensemen and goalie breaks it up, great. If they don't, thats on Bickel and the back checkers.
You're right about the silliness. You think that all there is to defending a 2-on-1 is positioning? No reaction comes into play at all? I hate to ask this question... but have you ever played.... well, any sport?

And by the way, I don't think he lunged either. The coach will tell him to recognize the speed of the play and be slightly more patient. It's that simple.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
trilobyte

Sather was pretty damned happy. How often do we see him doing anything remotely like that? At least I can't recall him bending the corners of his mouth up that far very often.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
You're right about the silliness. You think that all there is to defending a 2-on-1 is positioning? No reaction comes into play at all? I hate to ask this question... but have you ever played.... well, any sport?

And by the way, I don't think he lunged either. The coach will tell him to recognize the speed of the play and be slightly more patient. It's that simple.
Sure, have you?

You can't coach timing against a top offensive player on a 2 on 1. The only thing you can prepare for is positioning.

Its pretty obvious you have never played Defense on a hockey team. No, your street skating doesn't count.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:42 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:

I'll get me and one of my buddies to go 2 on 1 against you. I bet we'll score 10 out of 10 times. In that situation, there really isn't anything Erixon can do.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I'll get me and one of my buddies to go 2 on 1 against you. I bet we'll score 10 out of 10 times. In that situation, there really isn't anything Erixon can do.
I swear to God man, some people. They have no idea.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Sure, have you?

You can't coach timing against a top offensive player on a 2 on 1. The only thing you can prepare for is positioning.

Its pretty obvious you have never played Defense on a hockey team. No, your street skating doesn't count.
Best comeback ever. Say basically the same thing to me that I just said to you. Bravo!

These are elite hockey players. Of course you can teach them when to commit on a play. If all there was to this was positioning, then the best defensemen would not be better at this than anyone else in the NHL. But somehow they are. It's because they both a.) have the ability (which Erixon does) and b.) were taught to do it properly.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
I swear to God man, some people. They have no idea.
No sir. I've been playing hockey for a long time and that play is almost impossible to cover. All you can do is get down and hope to block a cross.