HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#75 Rangers @ Leafs

Old
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:47 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I'll get me and one of my buddies to go 2 on 1 against you. I bet we'll score 10 out of 10 times. In that situation, there really isn't anything Erixon can do.

I bet you the puck bounces on you at least once.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
I'll get me and one of my buddies to go 2 on 1 against you. I bet we'll score 10 out of 10 times. In that situation, there really isn't anything Erixon can do.
Who cares what you and your buddy can do to me? It has nothing to do with it. I'm not an NHL-caliber defenseman. Neither, for that matter, was John Tortorella. Yet somehow, he does a good job coaching defensemen. Go figure!

Please, tell me why almost all 2-on-1s end up with either a shot on goal from the puck carrier or the defenseman smothering the puck?

Erixon committed too early. Kessel, being the great player he is, took advantage. It really is that simple.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
It's close!

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:49 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Who cares what you and your buddy can do to me? It has nothing to do with it. I'm not an NHL-caliber defenseman. Neither, for that matter, was John Tortorella. Yet somehow, he does a good job coaching defensemen. Go figure!

Please, tell me why almost all 2-on-1s end up with either a shot on goal from the puck carrier or the defenseman smothering the puck?

Erixon committed too early. Kessel, being the great player he is, took advantage. It really is that simple.
You seem to be an expert on positioning. maybe you can go show Erixon how to position himself against a premier player on a 2 on 1 break away! Oh wait...

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:49 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I bet you the puck bounces on you at least once.
Maybe twice or three times lol. But not because of this dude. haha

Old
03-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
No sir. I've been playing hockey for a long time and that play is almost impossible to cover. All you can do is get down and hope to block a cross.
For ****s sake. OF COURSE all you can do is go down and hope to block a cross. The timing of when you go down has everything to do with your success in that situation. I never said he made the wrong play.

Quote:
You seem to be an expert on positioning. maybe you can go show Erixon how to position himself against a premier player on a 2 on 1 break away! Oh wait...
Positioning wasn't the problem on that play.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Best comeback ever. Say basically the same thing to me that I just said to you. Bravo!

These are elite hockey players. Of course you can teach them when to commit on a play. If all there was to this was positioning, then the best defensemen would not be better at this than anyone else in the NHL. But somehow they are. It's because they both a.) have the ability (which Erixon does) and b.) were taught to do it properly.
You are saying a whole lot of nothing, and speaking in platitudes.

I have seen Ray frikkin Bourque do the exact same thing on the exact same type of play. He got beat. There is nothing a coach can say in that situation. But in your fantasy world, the coach is going to break down the clock tell him when at the exact second he supposed to take the middle away. Not bearing in mind he has to not only worry about either a shot from the puck carrier or a skater coming to left. On top of that, that he also might be screening his goalie.

Not to mention, that the next two on 1 probably will not even look the same as this time. But yeah, all fixed with timing.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

NHL Network tried to predict the future and failed.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Rangers have the most wins in the league.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Rangers have the most wins in the league.
You wouldn't tell from reading this message board, thats for damn sure.

useref15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
For ****s sake. OF COURSE all you can do is go down and hope to block a cross. The timing of when you go down has everything to do with your success in that situation. I never said he made the wrong play.

Positioning wasn't the problem on that play.
Maybe you should be an assistant coach for the Rangers telling these guys how to time there falls on odd man breaks.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
No sir. I've been playing hockey for a long time and that play is almost impossible to cover. All you can do is get down and hope to block a cross.
agreed.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post

I have seen Ray frikkin Bourque do the exact same thing on the exact same type of play. He got beat. There is nothing a coach can say in that situation. But in your fantasy world, the coach is going to break down the clock tell him when at the exact second he supposed to take the middle away. Not bearing in mind he has to not only worry about either a shot from the puck carrier or a skater coming to left. On top of that, that he also might be screening his goalie.

Not to mention, that the next two on 1 probably will not even look the same as this time. But yeah, all fixed with timing.
In the NHL, the defensemen gets beat on that play 50% of the time. It really is a 50/50 play. Kessel faked, Erixon went down to defend because he HAS to and Kessel made a great play. Not on Erixon. The play was on Dubi

Old
03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post

Yeah... this is where I think you have no idea what you're talking about. The defenseman shouldn't be worried about the carrier taking a shot, at all, other than forcing him to do so. If he's between the goalie and the puck, he's out of position, so properly and completely executed, he should not be worrying about screening the goaltender.

Besides, I never said Tortorella is going to break down to the exact millisecond anything. What I'm saying is that Tortorella will look at the video with Erixon. Probably ask him what he could have done better to prevent the cross and then tell him to wait until the last reasonable moment to go down for the block. There wouldn't be any need to talk about microseconds.

And be proud. You two have successfully gotten me to give up on this issue (not give in, different thing). Maybe actually think about what I'm saying next time. And maybe look up the definition of platitude.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

Do you know how silly this sounds. This is the equivalent of telling a goalie his glove hand needs to be higher when he faces a shot point blank range in the slot.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Yeah... this is where I think you have no idea what you're talking about. The defenseman shouldn't be worried about the carrier taking a shot, at all, other than forcing him to do so. If he's between the goalie and the puck, he's out of position, so properly and completely executed, he should not be worrying about screening the goaltender.

Besides, I never said Tortorella is going to break down to the exact millisecond anything. What I'm saying is that Tortorella will look at the video with Erixon. Probably ask him what he could have done better to prevent the cross and then tell him to wait until the last reasonable moment to go down for the block. There wouldn't be any need to talk about microseconds.

And be proud. You two have successfully gotten me to give up on this issue (not give in, different thing). Maybe actually think about what I'm saying next time.
I am speaking about the shot from the puck carrier in reference to him possibly screening his own goalie. The point is the defensemen has so many variables he has to worry about. What if the puck carrier cuts into middle and takes the shot far side? Kessel had a few options in that scenario. Erixon is at such a disadvantage from the play, there is no point in even talking your perceived fault.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Abooch68

It's Saturday night... Stop arguing about it and go out and get laid..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

Another thing they fail at...

They ALWAYS have the wrong records for teams when they show the final score screen with the goal scores, assists, and the records. ALWAYS. Tonight after our win, they showed us with 46 wins. We have 47. I swear, they NEVER get it right. Is it that hard to add 1 win to whichever team won?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Tawnos

Quote:

It's funny, I was pretty pissed off when I saw that because it went up before Callahan even took his shot. I figured NHL Network was 30 or so seconds behind the actual game and just updated it quickly. Then Callahan scored.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:11 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA! Didn't they suspect in the least that the Maple Leafs can't afford to win these days? They're now in play for a Top 5 pick in the draft, now that they don't have to send a pick to the Bruins.

Glad that the Rangers won and the Pens lost, but that has to be in your mind that the Leafs may be tanking.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
It's Saturday night... Stop arguing about it and go out and get laid..

useref15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:34 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Yup...did you see the post tonight when we went down 1-0? This team stinks! Season over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
You wouldn't tell from reading this message board, thats for damn sure.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Now that richards finally figured out how to score in the shootout, we actually have a respectable shootout lineup.

Remember last year's shootout lineup?
- Wolski, a lazy player who's been cut from so many teams in his short career
- Emo boy, who cuts himself if he misses
- MZA who was an AHLer at the time

Now we have
- An elite sniper
- A top line center
- Our captain

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:14 AM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Now that richards finally figured out how to score in the shootout, we actually have a respectable shootout lineup.

Remember last year's shootout lineup?
- Wolski, a lazy player who's been cut from so many teams in his short career
- Emo boy, who cuts himself if he misses
- MZA who was an AHLer at the time

Now we have
- An elite sniper
- A top line center
- Our captain
I don't want to burst your bubble but he only scored once so far. So lets see what happens. Also, the play offs are about to start so shoot outs aren't gonna be an issue soon.

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote