HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Scott Parker 1st round draft pick

Old
10-11-2011, 05:14 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Scott Parker 1st round draft pick

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind drafting an enforcer 20th overall in any draft? We had 4 1st round picks in 98 and we chose to draft Parker with our final 1st round selection? Notable players that were drafted after Parker

Simon Gagne ( Drafted 22nd overall)
Scott Gomez
Mike Fisher
Mike Ribiero
Brad Richards ( Everyone missed the boat on this one)

The list goes on but seeing as how Gagne got drafted just 2 spots behind Parker kinda makes me thnik what the hell was on PL's mind that day. I know we needed toughness but theres a reason why enforcers arent drafted high.

Last edited by The Kingslayer: 10-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Well he wasn't considered as an pure enforcer back then. IIRC they thought that he could play a PWF role.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Well he wasn't considered as an pure enforcer back then. IIRC they thought that he could play a PWF role.
Really? The Avs had/have top notch scouts. A nutless and blind monkey could see he was nothing more then a tough guy. I liked Parker but to be drafted 20th overall is crazy.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
this

he had 30 goals in 71 WHL games while putting up 243 PIMs.

did they think he would set the world on fire? no, but they thought he could be a 3rd liner that protected players on the top two lines when needed.

park in front on the PP.

he had shown some flashes of soft hands, his scoring game just never developed at the NHL level.

he was not a horrible pick at the time and every draft has hand full of the "doh!! why didn't we draft him!?!?!?!"

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Really? The Avs had/have top notch scouts. A nutless and blind monkey could see he was nothing more then a tough guy. I liked Parker but to be drafted 20th overall is crazy.
He had 30 goals the previous season, and 6 in 7 during the playoffs (a lot of teams gets burned on playoff wonders from Junior who turn out to not do much later). He'd doubled his point total and shaved ~100 PIMs of his total from the previous dub season. It was not absolutely ridiculous to assume he could have been starting a career trajectory from enforcer to PWF.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Weren't there also some financial restrictions at the time? I believe the team didn't want to draft 4 high potential guys in case they had to pay out big money to them in the near future, and instead wanted someone that could play as the team's enforcer/new Chris Simon. At the time of the draft Parker was coming off a 30+ goal 200+ PIM season, and back then there was a huge fascination with size.

Also, at the time of the draft wasn't Richards considered too small, too slow and just riding the coattails of Lecavalier? Can't look back at drafts and say should've, could've...except for the Kuleshov pick, everyone was expecting the Avs to take Havlat and they took the random Russian instead.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:31 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Drafting record from that time period is quite spotty.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...the_avalanche/

they also had sakic and forsberg that they needed to protect. they had filled their need for a forward and two D prospects.

parker was the next big hoel they needed to fill.

granted, i am of the school you just sign one of these guys as a UFA and you don't waste a pick on them, but he had some scouts thinking he could be a power forward.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Can someone explain to me the rationale behind drafting an enforcer 20th overall in any draft? We had 4 1st round picks in 98 and we chose to draft Parker with our final 1st round selection? Notable players that were drafted after Parker

Simon Gagne ( Drafted 22nd overall)
Scott Gomez
Mike Fisher
Mike Ribiero
Brad Richards ( Everyone missed the boat on this one)

The list goes on but seeing as how Gagne got drafted just 2 spots behind Parker kinda makes me thnik what the hell was on PL's mind that day. I know we needed toughness but theres a reason why enforcers arent drafted high.
Yeah but none of this players had what Parker had...The beard!!!!!

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Freudian
calmer than you are

Parker was one scary guy. Scariest guy I can remember the Avs having.

He did probably score just enough in his draft year (52 points in 71 WHL games) to make some of the Avs scout believe there was some upside to him. Looking back it was a mistake. But then again, a better pick than our following three first rounders in 1999, 2000 and 2002.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
Weren't there also some financial restrictions at the time? I believe the team didn't want to draft 4 high potential guys in case they had to pay out big money to them in the near future, and instead wanted someone that could play as the team's enforcer/new Chris Simon. At the time of the draft Parker was coming off a 30+ goal 200+ PIM season, and back then there was a huge fascination with size.

Also, at the time of the draft wasn't Richards considered too small, too slow and just riding the coattails of Lecavalier? Can't look back at drafts and say should've, could've...except for the Kuleshov pick, everyone was expecting the Avs to take Havlat and they took the random Russian instead.
That's the reason I'd heard. But it doesn't really make sense to me, having to make a decision on who you can afford to let go because you have too many good players is a luxury.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post

When the Avs drafted Parker, he was supposed to be the new Chris Simon. Or at least that was the thinking behind the pick. It was tough not to be excited with the draft that season, Parker or not, because of the talent the Avs picked up (with a very young Hejduk and Drury already on the team). With there being a wealth of young talent on the team, the Avs wanted a big, strong player who could protect the guys while still produce offensively.

Sure, it looks like a wasted 1st rounder today... but back then it wasn't so crazy. The Avs actually got some praise for the pick. Everyone thought he was going to put the Wings on alert

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...the_avalanche/

they also had sakic and forsberg that they needed to protect. they had filled their need for a forward and two D prospects.

parker was the next big hoel they needed to fill.

granted, i am of the school you just sign one of these guys as a UFA and you don't waste a pick on them, but he had some scouts thinking he could be a power forward.
I think the mentality for the Avs was just that... fill those areas that needed the most work. Maybe now more than back then, it's take the best player available regardless of needs.

But back then, we were a Cup contending team with a heated rivalry with the Wings and Dallas. The Avs needed that enforcer who could take care of the other team and produce as well. Parker didn't live up to the hype, but he was a scary dude and won a lot of fights in an Avs jersey.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:20 PM
famicommander

Because he's Scott mother****ing Parker, and that's all the rationale that's necessary.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I remember the Simon comparisons.....

At that time as well everyone wanted a big guy to take the beatings that Forsberg was enduring. The game wasn't as wide open, and everyone stood in front of the net..

I can't believe that PL would have taken him if he knew he was only going to be an enforcer.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Well they already drafted so many talented players with the first three picks... so they couldn't afford another expensive pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
AvsFan7*

Just taking a look at that draft year, and WOW who was Ramzi Abid, taken First overall in the 2nd round had 135 Pts in 68 games in the Q during the 97/98 season AND 266 PIM's, either thats a typo or he was an absolute machine.....

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
Just taking a look at that draft year, and WOW who was Ramzi Abid, taken First overall in the 2nd round had 135 Pts in 68 games in the Q during the 97/98 season AND 266 PIM's, either thats a typo or he was an absolute machine.....
Not a typo apparently, and the Avs never could agree to sign him I guess. Sounds like the guy had a rough career though after showing some major promise...

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=16620

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:02 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
Not a typo apparently, and the Avs never could agree to sign him I guess. Sounds like the guy had a rough career though after showing some major promise...

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=16620
Wow 3 straight memorial cups??? Man did he have talent, to bad he couldnt reach a deal with the Avs, one could only wonder what he could have brought to the Avs if we had signed him, those #'s he put up in the Q are simply put amazing.

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
Wow 3 straight memorial cups??? Man did he have talent, to bad he couldnt reach a deal with the Avs, one could only wonder what he could have brought to the Avs if we had signed him, those #'s he put up in the Q are simply put amazing.
If he actually translated to an NHL player he would have had much more of a career than he did/has

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:27 PM
zhack

its not that hard to say what were they thinking, look at most of the top picks throughout the late 90s...most were busts

zhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
As has been said, he wasn't just a scrapper at the WHL level. That was his role as he became a pro, but he was expected to be a solid power forward when he was drafted.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
the Avs had some spotty draft picks during that era. you had guys like Drury,Tanguay,Hejduk but they had some serious issues with maintaining talent levels and getting significant impact players consistently.

but they were drafting lower as Sakic and Forsberg kept getting into the prime of their careers. similar to the Yankees in how they always spent money, won but their minor league system was a mess until they re-tooled it and focused on premier talent that would translate.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

That's the year when we had 4 first round picks , right ?

I remember someone from the Avs saying on TV , I think it was PL , that They went for role players with some of their picks. Coz they wouldnt have enough cash to pay all their players, if they would have drafted the BPA with each pick.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:44 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

I remember the Avs had a crazy record when he was in the line-up.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote