HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider Discussion Part II (4/9 - Signing Imminent)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
kid is big and fast........looks like he's ready to sign a dealio. Lets getter done

Old
03-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yes Kreider and BC are playing at 8.

North Dakota-Minnesota at 5:30

Both games are on ESPNU
Thanks RB.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
Thanks.
You go to the net, good things happen. Go figure.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:41 AM
RangerBlues

Just have the feeling he is going back for his senior season.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Just have the feeling he is going back for his senior season.
nah kid has nothing left to do there, got his education and dominating the league

btw NYR call up today?

Read: The Rangers Achillies Heel In The Playoffs
posted on March 25th, 2012 at 11:32 am

At Newsday, Steve Zipay writes about the Rangers lack of a power play and secondary scoring and how it could doom the team in the playoffs.

The Rangers rank 11th in the league in goals per game but rank fifth in the league in 5 on 5 Goals For/Against Ratio.

The leading scorer in Hartford is Jonathan Audy-Marchessault but he is only signed to an AHL contract.

The Rangers are expected to call up someone from Hartford before they head to Minnesota tomorrow.

Casey Wellman, acquired from Minnesota for Erik Christensen, could be called up.

2009 first round pick Chris Kreider and Boston College play tonight and if they lose and are eliminated from the NCAA tournament, it is expected that Kreider will sign with the Rangers and could join the lineup immediately.

Mats Zuccarello, who was called up, broke his wrist on Friday.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I hope BC loses.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Two things that made me happy watching Kreider last night:

Beyond him getting on the scoresheet, that was the best overall game I've seen him play in a while. Extremely engaged. Kid knows how to step it up when it counts.

Air Force was extremely impressive in terms of skating ability, physicality, and overall defense. One of the toughest tests BC has had to face. On a day where some of his teammates had trouble getting offense going (Almeida, Whitney, etc.) Kreider got it done.

03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I mentioned this before but I'm really impressed by Gaudreau. Wish we could steal him from Calgary just like Erixon.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:16 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
nah kid has nothing left to do there, got his education and dominating the league

btw NYR call up today?

At Newsday, Steve Zipay writes about the Rangers lack of a power play and secondary scoring and how it could doom the team in the playoffs.

The Rangers rank 11th in the league in goals per game but rank fifth in the league in 5 on 5 Goals For/Against Ratio.

The leading scorer in Hartford is Jonathan Audy-Marchessault but he is only signed to an AHL contract.

The Rangers are expected to call up someone from Hartford before they head to Minnesota tomorrow.

Casey Wellman, acquired from Minnesota for Erik Christensen, could be called up.

2009 first round pick Chris Kreider and Boston College play tonight and if they lose and are eliminated from the NCAA tournament, it is expected that Kreider will sign with the Rangers and could join the lineup immediately.

Many of us have been preaching this since last year. lol Guess it's time to put some emphasis on it now considering the playoffs are just around the corner. Sadly, I think it's wishful thinking to assume that Kreider is going to step onto Garden ice straight from college and be our savior. Sure, he might chip in a bit, but is he going to be the difference? Not sure about that.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Two things that made me happy watching Kreider last night:

Beyond him getting on the scoresheet, that was the best overall game I've seen him play in a while. Extremely engaged. Kid knows how to step it up when it counts.

Air Force was extremely impressive in terms of skating ability, physicality, and overall defense. One of the toughest tests BC has had to face. On a day where some of his teammates had trouble getting offense going (Almeida, Whitney, etc.) Kreider got it done.
All good points. I definitely agree.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He showed gamebreaking ability, which we all know that he has the skill to go with his size and speed.

Pros- Size, Speed, Right place, right time

Improvements- Hockey sense (Noticeable now), effort

Needs improvement- Peripheral vision, shot

The question simply remains how consistent will he be at an NHL level and until we know that, we won't know exactly what kind of player we have here.

03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
He showed gamebreaking ability, which we all know that he has the skill to go with his size and speed.

Pros- Size, Speed, Right place, right time

Improvements- Hockey sense (Noticeable now), effort

Needs improvement- Peripheral vision, shot

The question simply remains how consistent will he be at an NHL level and until we know that, we won't know exactly what kind of player we have here.
Was going to say the same two.

My big peeve on him is def the effort. If he played the entire season like he played the game yesterday, he would have 60+ points and would be the Hobey Baker winner this season. He jut seems like a lazy player far too often. Torts will change that right away though which is why im excited for him to get here already.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

btw NYR call up today?

Hopefully Wellman can keep a spot in the lineup, that way when Zuke returns Mitchell will be scratched or even sent down. Hmm actually even if he find a spot it will be tough because Kreider should be here soon... We can only hope that whoever gets called up does a good job and Torts will figure out the rest.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I think the Rangers hold off on making a roster move until the end of the BC game. If they do that I think they expect to sign Kreider and immediately put him on the team to see how he fairs against NHL competition for 8 or so games... call it a tryout for the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:16 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I think the Rangers hold off on making a roster move until the end of the BC game. If they do that I think they expect to sign Kreider and immediately put him on the team to see how he fairs against NHL competition for 8 or so games... call it a tryout for the playoffs.
I'm unfamiliar with rules here. Is there a deadline to sign him for this season? He's 100% not going to leave BC if they move on, right?

Old
03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with rules here. Is there a deadline to sign him for this season? He's 100% not going to leave BC if they move on, right?
There's no deadline for him to sign. He's going to stick with BC as long as they're still alive in the NCAA tourney. However, it's widely speculated that he'll sign with the Rangers very shortly after they're knocked out -- 'if' they're knocked out anyway.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
With Zucc out--if BC loses today the Rangers might think about it more seriously. We've been doing the win one-lose one routine for a while and despite all the 'well rested' remarks of our coaching staff we don't seem to be playing with as much energy--our forecheck (something that Kreider should be able to help us with) not all that good lately. And just getting his name on a frigging contract means he won't be going back to BC for his senior year--(I like the BC program but I don't think another year there is going to make him a better player). He's a very big guy and a wonderful skater and he's played against NHL level competition in two World Championships. It's time to get him signed.
What if he doesnt finish his education to play for NYR i the PO,and then get a carrier ending injuri. Is there some kind of an insurance for cases like that?
Or does he risk no education and not be able to continue a pro carrier,and end up broke?

By the way,when are the earliest and the latest dates he could be in?

Old
03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
What if he doesnt finish his education to play for NYR i the PO,and then get a carrier ending injuri. Is there some kind of an insurance for cases like that?
Or does he risk no education and not be able to continue a pro carrier,and end up broke?
He forfeits his eligiblity to play NCAA hockey if he signs a professional contract; he doesn't forego his right to a college education. Stepan and McDonagh both signed contracts with the Rangers, and have been taking summer classes at Wisconsin to finish their degrees. Kreider will do the same thing if he chooses to turn pro. He needs 4 classes to graduate I believe. That's a pretty light summer class load.

Kreider will get a signing bonus when he joins the Rangers, and they simply can't cut him and not pay his 3 year ELC if he were to get that badly injured. Kid is all but guaranteed a couple million dollars just by signing his name on the dotted line.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:32 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Can't wait to get this kid on the roster.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:47 PM
NYRangers09

Am I supposed to be rooting for BC to lose tonight so he can sign sooner?

Old
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Am I supposed to be rooting for BC to lose tonight so he can sign sooner?
Do you think having him on the Rangers roster this week (and for the rest of the season/post-season) will have a positive effect on the Rangers? If so, yes. If not, then no.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I just can't root for BC to lose. My boy Linell is on the team, it is just wrong for me to hope he loses. If they lose, fine, but right now, I'm rooting for BC to win the whole thing.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:55 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do you think having him on the Rangers roster this week (and for the rest of the season/post-season) will have a positive effect on the Rangers? If so, yes. If not, then no.
The Frozen Four isn't next weekend, it's April 5-April 7. The Rangers final regular season game is also April 7. So you should be rooting for BC to lose so that Kreider is at least given some regular season games to see if he is ready. If BC makes it to the championship, he would not be able to play any regular season games, and would be forced to start his NHL career during the playoffs if he plays this year.

Unless you're a BC alum, go UM-D.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:58 PM
anofsti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post

By the way,when are the earliest and the latest dates he could be in?
As far as I know, I think he finished his education, but can stay the last year just to play hockey. Even if he has a career ending injury, that doesn't prevent him from going back to college after going pro, it just prevents him from going back to college hockey.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
The Frozen Four isn't next weekend, it's April 5-April 7. The Rangers final regular season game is also April 7. So you should be rooting for BC to lose so that Kreider is at least given some regular season games to see if he is ready. If BC makes it to the championship, he would not be able to play any regular season games, and would be forced to start his NHL career during the playoffs if he plays this year.

Unless you're a BC alum, go UM-D.
I'm aware that the FF is in April. I was simply answering the question about whether we should be rooting for BC to lose tonight. The answer really depends on whether you think Kreider will have a legitimate impact on the Rangers for the rest of this campaign, assuming he signs this week. If you think he will...root for BC to lose. If you don't believe he'll be able to step straight from college onto the Rangers who are preparing for a playoff run, then hope BC wins.

Closed Thread