HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Christmas List for Santa Ferguson

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 04:47 AM
wasting time

vCash: 500
A Christmas List for Santa Ferguson

Dear Santa Ferguson,

The next 3 games are going to be the final pieces of the puzzle to understand what this team is made up of. Generally the first 20 games are a good indicator of what changes are necessary, if any. To date Toronto has demonstrated that they are a middle of the pack team incapable of beating top tier teams.

I think that is pretty accurate.

I think the goal for this team should not be to blow it up, but just augment it a little for this year's playoffs, and prepare for next year.

So, this is what I would like for Christmas:

Goalies:
If Trevor Kidd plays well over the next 3 starts then I would like you to trade Ed Belfour and recall Tellqvist. You have no idea how difficult this is for me to request given my adoration of Belfour as a Tier 1 goalie, but I think that Tellqvist and Kidd could do as well in the playoffs for this team given that the Leafs are not going to win the Cup anyway. In fact, I am sure that Tellqvist would find lightning in a bottle for a series or two.

So please trade Belfour for a young, skilled forward. Thank you.

Forwards:
Unfortunately, few of the Leafs forwards will have any value on the market worth the price of giving them up. So I think we are stuck with them. However, given that Nolan, Sundin and Mogilny are the only forwards returning next year, I would like to see some more youth up front. I think Tucker is expendable and can get you value in return. That's about it.

So please trade Darcy Tucker in a package involving a top 4 defenseman for this year.

Defense:
Going into next year, the Leafs will have the option to resign their entire defensive corp, if they wish. They also have a young crop coming up. As promising as the youth is, it is unwise to consider starting more than 1 in the top 6 next year. Therefore, I suggest resigning McCabe, Kaberle, Berg, Klee, and the defenseman you acquired through the trade of Darcy Tucker. Then, I would evaluate the likes of Colaiacovo, Bell, Moro, Hedin, and Harrison for next year. My estimation is that none of them will be ready for NHL play, with the possible exception of Hedin and Moro.

Therefore, on the bubble is Pilar and Jackman. I think that these two players are very similar in play and circumstance.

I also think that the Leafs have too many defensemen in the AHL.

Therefore, I would like you to trade Karel Pilar and one of the AHL defenseman for one or two young, promising forward prospects. Or, an established younger player like Comrie (I don't actually want him, but will use him here as an example). Then I would sign Jackman for next year to round out the top 6 or 7.

Coaching:
I like Pat Quinn. But I know Santa that you do not want Pat to coach this team next year. I think you want to introduce a new coach this year to light a fire under this year's team and maximize its playoff return.

Therefore, I want you to fire Pat Quinn and hire Robbie Ftorek for the remainder of the year.

Next Year:
Santa, please make next year's team look something like this:

power forward/Sundin/Mogilny
speedy forward/playmaker center/Nolan
tough forward/Stajan/defensive forward
tough forward/veteran center/youth forward

McCabe/Kaberle
McCabe-type defenseman/Klee
Berg/Youth or Jackman

Tellqvist/veteran goalie

Old
11-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Trade Belfour?

Heh.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:30 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

trade jackman, not pilar :p

Old
11-17-2003, 06:34 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
trade jackman, not pilar :p
He played well against San Jose, eh? eh?

Old
11-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
So please trade Belfour for a young, skilled forward.
Why didn't anyone think of this before?

Belfour has been our best player for 14 months now, but IMO, without him we are still looking pretty good.

Teams in the East with better starting goaltending than us right now:
- New Jersey
- Montreal (depending on the day of the week )
- Florida (not a risk to make the playoffs)

Teams in the East with better goaltending than us, if Telqvist is our starter:
- New Jersey
- Montreal
- Florida
- Tampa Bay
- Ottawa

I don't believe in Santa, but I most certainly believe in God, so what do we do? Pray that Aebischer and/or Osgood stink it up down the stretch and the Avs/Blues would rather have Belfour than Joseph!

Old
11-17-2003, 06:52 AM
sluggo*

1) You don't trade Belfour unless you blow up the team. Kidd and Tellqvist won't get the leafs into the playoffs, never mind to a cup. Kidd was good 4 years ago, and Tellqvist is showing he will be a good goalie, but hes still a rookie and it making rookie mistakes (the tieing goal against the Sharks was completely his fault).

Fowards - there probably won't be a next years, so your looking at only Sundin and Nolan returning. Again, its either improve enough now to win or blow up the team.

And if they replace Quinn, Keenan is the guy to do it.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Why didn't anyone think of this before?

Belfour has been our best player for 14 months now, but IMO, without him we are still looking pretty good.

Teams in the East with better starting goaltending than us right now:
- New Jersey
- Montreal (depending on the day of the week )
- Florida (not a risk to make the playoffs)

Teams in the East with better goaltending than us, if Telqvist is our starter:
- New Jersey
- Montreal
- Florida
- Tampa Bay
- Ottawa

I don't believe in Santa, but I most certainly believe in God, so what do we do? Pray that Aebischer and/or Osgood stink it up down the stretch and the Avs/Blues would rather have Belfour than Joseph!
What have you young lads been smoking this morning??

I don't see anyway Toronto trades Belfour.. They would have to be completely out of a playoff race by the trade dealdine and then only a handful of clubs would be interested.. Maybe Colorado, and maybe St. Louis as you say.. MAYBE....

This one just ain't going to happen .. I would rather the team IMO .. trade Sundin for a package like Ottawa got for Yashin.. (Spezza, Chara etc) or even what SJ got for Nolan.. but that is not going to happen either.. Santa or NO Santa..

Old
11-17-2003, 08:09 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Dear Santa Ferguson,

Therefore, I want you to fire Pat Quinn and hire Robbie Ftorek for the remainder of the year.

Robbie Ftorek???? You don't want him as a coach ....

1) He rare wins the games from behind;

2) He doesn't reward or demotes players for good or bad play;

3) He has his lap pets and they can do no wrong.

4) He doesn't have a decent system.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Robbie Ftorek???? You don't want him as a coach ....

1) He rare wins the games from behind;

2) He doesn't reward or demotes players for good or bad play;

3) He has his lap pets and they can do no wrong.

4) He doesn't have a decent system.
Thank you.

I've heard a few people bring his name up around here, and I have no idea why.

When he was fired, I remember people speculating he'd be lucky to ever get a head coaching job again.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:07 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
What have you young lads been smoking this morning??

I don't see anyway Toronto trades Belfour.. They would have to be completely out of a playoff race by the trade dealdine and then only a handful of clubs would be interested.. Maybe Colorado, and maybe St. Louis as you say.. MAYBE....

This one just ain't going to happen .. I would rather the team IMO .. trade Sundin for a package like Ottawa got for Yashin.. (Spezza, Chara etc) or even what SJ got for Nolan.. but that is not going to happen either.. Santa or NO Santa..
Smoking from the tree of wisdom.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
I don't believe in Santa, but I most certainly believe in God,
No can do, my religious friend. Santa is St. Nicholas.

Should've picked the Easter Bunny, dude!

Closed Thread