HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part III (incl. protest discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post
what classes are you taking this semester?
jmsb

comm 315
comm 320
mark 405
mark 453

Old
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Andy

@LL

Yah, I've been using the site that other poster gave me. Now I just gotta find an apartment and head down to Ottawa to check them out. A lot of them are asking to start May1st, but I only plan to head down to Ottawa at the end of August to move in.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Forsead

I'm perhaps interested in doing a master degree in my field (civil engineering) does anyone know any good university where I could go and that the fees aren't too high ? (I was thinking about countries like France, Germany, Denmark etc.)

Also as an alternative I was thinking about doing an MBA and I have the same questions ? any good place with good programs that doesn't cost too much ?

Old
03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
EmelinHipCheck

I think Charest is misinterpreting a certain Pink Floyd song.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Also, has anyone ever done exchange programs through Concordia? I just saw that, and I'd love to do a semester in the states.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Which is easier or more interesting to someone who just prefers math and a simple calculation? I have an elective to take, it's gonna be one of those two.
Neither of them really involve a great deal of math or calculation; but I would say Micro has a bit more.

In Micro you will do elasticity, price and quantity equilibriums, and LR/SR supply curves.

Macro it is more about CPI indexes, money supply formulas, government budgets and inflation.

I would say Macro is more interesting, you get to see how money is created, distributed, how the national economy and government budget functions, and international trade. Whereas Micro is more how different type of firms operate, demand and supply, and the individual consumer's behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Also, has anyone ever done exchange programs through Concordia? I just saw that, and I'd love to do a semester in the states.
Why the US?

Old
03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://international.concordia.ca/st...s/wherecanigo/

Australia and various places in Europe have me drooling.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Neither of them really involve a great deal of math or calculation; but I would say Micro has a bit more.

In Micro you will do elasticity, price and quantity equilibriums, and LR/SR supply curves.

Macro it is more about CPI indexes, money supply formulas, government budgets and inflation.

I would say Macro is more interesting, you get to see how money is created, distributed, how the national economy and government budget functions, and international trade. Whereas Micro is more how different type of firms operate, demand and supply, and the individual consumer's behaviour.

Why the US?
Seems like trivial reasons, but:
I want an english school because while it would be cool, I can't see myself learning a third language to the point that I'd be okay speaking it on a day to day basis. That leaves German, Australian and British schools. I speak fluent french, but something about France turns me off. Germany would be cool, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend a lot of money of a German school. I'm preferably looking for a place with good climate, culture, which matches or surpasses that of Montreal (or else it would be pointless, no?). I would love to study in Australia, but I keep hearing horror stories about spiders, and I'm a huge arachnophobe, so I don't think I'd be able to survive six months if I woke up next to a huge spider one night
So that leaves the US, since I'm guessing rent in the UK is through the roof (isn't London the only city more expensive than NYC in terms of sq. ft?). There are a few Californian schools that look interesting, but they're state colleges. Don't know if I'd want to go to a State school, considering I've heard bad things about them. But I wouldn't rule out the opportunity. The one that interested me the most is DePaul in Chicago. Heard great things about that city, and the school. Plus, apparently you get a $5 000 grant if you get accepted to the program, which could pay a serious chunk of rent.

EDIT: Ireland also looks fun as well.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:41 PM
habscup

Quote:
I want an english school because while it would be cool, I can't see myself learning a third language to the point that I'd be okay speaking it on a day to day basis. That leaves German, Australian and British schools. I speak fluent french, but something about France turns me off. Germany would be cool, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend a lot of money of a German school. I'm preferably looking for a place with good climate, culture, which matches or surpasses that of Montreal (or else it would be pointless, no?). I would love to study in Australia, but I keep hearing horror stories about spiders, and I'm a huge arachnophobe, so I don't think I'd be able to survive six months if I woke up next to a huge spider one night
So that leaves the US, since I'm guessing rent in the UK is through the roof (isn't London the only city more expensive than NYC in terms of sq. ft?). There are a few Californian schools that look interesting, but they're state colleges. Don't know if I'd want to go to a State school, considering I've heard bad things about them. But I wouldn't rule out the opportunity. The one that interested me the most is DePaul in Chicago. Heard great things about that city, and the school. Plus, apparently you get a $5 000 grant if you get accepted to the program, which could pay a serious chunk of rent.

haha just stay here if you have so many concerns

Old
03-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Just got accepted back to McGill for my MA. Maybe I'll be on this part of the boards a little more.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:50 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
haha just stay here if you have so many concerns
That defeats the purpose of going to a new place?

Old
03-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:

Whoever told you that state schools in the US are bad doesn't really know what they are talking about. The Cal system and a number of Land-grant universities in the Midwest (think OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) are top-notch research institutions with enormous budgets and fantastic faculties. I can't attest to econ specifically, but I'd be shocked if certain Cal schools (probably UCLA, UC-Berkeley, maybe Santa Barbara or San Diego) didn't have very, very well-regarded programs.

If you want to go to Chicago for economics, you should go to University of Chicago. Probably the most dominant economics faculty in world history.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:04 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Whoever told you that state schools in the US are bad doesn't really know what they are talking about. The Cal system and a number of Land-grant universities in the Midwest (think OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) are top-notch research institutions with enormous budgets and fantastic faculties. I can't attest to econ specifically, but I'd be shocked if certain Cal schools (probably UCLA, UC-Berkeley, maybe Santa Barbara or San Diego) didn't have very, very well-regarded programs.

If you want to go to Chicago for economics, you should go to University of Chicago. Probably the most dominant economics faculty in world history.
It would be for History or business, depending on whether I switch or not. the Californian schools are Cal State or San Fran. State. The latter sounds really neat, San Fran is one of my top to-visit places.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Ahh. I think there is a difference in California between the University and State systems. The UC system is well regarded, State not as much although I'm sure they have at least one flagship campus.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
habscup

Quote:
That defeats the purpose of going to a new place?
pick one of those places and go, australia, france are neat places to go for a semester or two, do it!

Old
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
Just got accepted back to McGill for my MA. Maybe I'll be on this part of the boards a little more.
MA for what?

I got rejected from McGill's Political Science MA programs, but Ottawa accepted. Still waiting for an answer from Toronto, but even if they accept I doubt I'll go since they don't offer admission scholarships and Ottawa does.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
EmelinHipCheck

This thread seems interesting, i'll introduce myself considering what we are discussing. I'm currently in my first year, studying Relations Industrielles at Université de Montréal.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
MA for what?

I got rejected from McGill's Political Science MA programs, but Ottawa accepted. Still waiting for an answer from Toronto, but even if they accept I doubt I'll go since they don't offer admission scholarships and Ottawa does.
Political Science. That probably sucks to hear, sorry man. What kind of stuff do you do?

Old
03-25-2012, 03:32 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Political Science. That probably sucks to hear, sorry man. What kind of stuff do you do?
Which program?

Old
03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I was saying that I was accepted to do my MA in the Political Science department and apologizing for any potential awkwardness that that creates.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I was saying that I was accepted to do my MA in the Political Science department and apologizing for any potential awkwardness that that creates.
I got this much, but I was asking which poli sci masters program you got into, there are a dozen of them.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Andy

Quote:
Political Theory, ideally I wanted to focus on political obligations, specifically the account of fair play, but there arent any professors in Ottawa that specialize in obligation or even the related field of political legitimacy.

I didn't expect to get accepted to McGill's Poli Sci Masters program anyway. My GPA was only 3.5, I wasn't in honors and only took one 400 level Poli Sci course. I didn't do any internships or volunteer work. I literally offered nothing to the university, so the refusal was expected.

What are you specializing in?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Political Theory, ideally I wanted to focus on political obligations, specifically the account of fair play, but there arent any professors in Ottawa that specialize in obligation or even the related field of political legitimacy.

I didn't expect to get accepted to McGill's Poli Sci Masters program anyway. My GPA was only 3.5, I wasn't in honors and only took one 400 level Poli Sci course. I didn't do any internships or volunteer work. I literally offered nothing to the university, so the refusal was expected.

What are you specializing in?
How come you didn't do an honours if you got a 3.5 GPA?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
How come you didn't do an honours if you got a 3.5 GPA?
I never planned on doing a masters. I went to university just to get a bachelors degree at first, but then in my last year I realized that I was actually enjoying what I was doing, but by then it was too late to go into honors. I didn't want to extend my bachelors anymore than I had to. I regret not figuring this out earlier, but it is what it is.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
This is an odd question, but is there any job market at all in Montreal for English-only speakers?

Not trying to offend anyone it's just something I've been wondering.
yes there is a market for that

where i work there is at least 5-6 persons that only speaks englsh
my brother in law speaks only english

dont expect getting a customer service job

Closed Thread