HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

They Don't Really Matter Anymore... Canes at the Joe

Old
03-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, they were gassed after Detroit responded quickly to the Canes back to back PPGs. The emotion was sucked out of them and when you're on a back to back that's disaster. No emotion = no legs, and no legs = no win. Not against a team like the Red Wings regardless of how Cam played.
I agree. They had nothing left in the 3rd.

Mebanecanesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
FlashyG

Can't say enough good things about Cam Ward.

He doesn't get the recognition he deserves, I've never seen a better performance from a goalie giving up 5.

That would have been a different result if you guys hadn't played last night.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Just thought it should be noted, Ward made his 4000th save over the past two seasons tonight. Some goaltenders don't make that amount over 3 seasons.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
ZetterBurger

Ward could have just had the best goaltending performance against the Wings since Quicks 50 save shutout last year. He is incredible. I expect good things from the Canes in 2 years.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
If free agency plays out the way some of us are hoping, and with the momentum we have had under Muller, I'm hoping you don't have to wait that long even.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I hate losing to the wings..

I hate even more not getting to see the rest of the game cause my pc **** the bed...then again, we lost so maybe I'm not so upset I missed that.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm not even mad about this result. We didn't deserve to win. Hell, we didn't even deserve a loser point.

Specifically, I'm not sure I've ever seen this group make so many blind clearing passes. The Wings defensemen were just picking them like cherries, because not one of our players had the poise to just slow down and look where he was lobbing the puck in his own zone.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

#NotEvenMad

It's just not worth it.

The wife and I went over to a neighbors house. Thank the heavens there was lots of beer there, and I was surrounded by people who weren't appalled by my grotesque, Corvo-style tattoos. Checked the phone a few times to get the score, and thought we had another one in the bag. Oh well.

I've decided I'm just going to focus on the positives. Kirk Muller, for one. Some sort of vague commitment by JR to actually pursue a FA in the offseason for another.

It's been quite the season. Gotta head to bed if I'm gonna make church and take a meth run in the morning.

Addendum: Did I mention the part about the beer?

Last edited by PaulProteus: 03-25-2012 at 01:50 AM.
PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
Speaking of positives, Staal is top 10 in assists, and went 14-6 on faceoffs tonight.

In other news, Ray Whitney is second in even strength assists and is tied with Jason Spezza for fourth in even strength points.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:52 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
Speaking of positives, Staal is top 10 in assists, and went 14-6 on faceoffs tonight.

In other news, Ray Whitney is second in even strength assists and is tied with Jason Spezza for fourth in even strength points.
Yeah, I'm about ready to just have at it with the doubters. Eric Staal is the captain we need. I'm damn happy with the season he's had.

As soon as we ditch EhStew in the off season, I'll be glad to see Whitney slide back into the #13.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:16 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I'll just put this out there: If the rest of the NHL had the same class as Red Wings fans, I'd hate these losses a lot less

Best of luck to you fellas.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:26 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Glad I had to go to a wedding intstead having to watch this debacle. I think that might be a first for me to say.

Faulk and Harrison must have been brutal tonight. Well, even more brutal than everyone besides Ward.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:21 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post

Old
03-25-2012, 08:31 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Just imagine if Staal played with a consistent winger who pots 30-40 goals regularly. His playmaking ability is vastly underrated.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:42 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Oh I know it is. But the fact that he's top 10 in assists, given the absolute **** that he works with for wingers consistently, is just... I mean how the hell? No offense to LaRose or Slutty, but they're not legit top liners, and same goes for everyone else that he's played with this year sans Skinner.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:05 AM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I'll just put this out there: If the rest of the NHL had the same class as Red Wings fans, I'd hate these losses a lot less

Best of luck to you fellas.
Agreed. Wings fans I've met have always been much classier than almost any others I see.

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 12 oz Drinks View Post
Agreed. Wings fans I've met have always been much classier than almost any others I see.
Winnipeg fans should strive to be like the fans at the Joe. I can see why Detriot has such a great home record. They were very loud and supportive and just gave off a great positive energy that their team fed off of. Not a bunch of classless taunting and booing like Winnipeg fans.

Last edited by DaveG: 03-25-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: unnecessary
Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
Winnipeg fans should strive to be like the fans at the Joe. I can see why Detriot has such a great home record. They were very loud and supportive and just gave off a great positive energy that their team fed off of. Not a bunch of classless taunting and booing like Winnipeg fans.
Am I the only person who's OK with the booing? I mean it's not like Winnipeg has any built in rivalries off the bat, and they're playing in the Eastern Conference when about half the Western Conference is farther east then they are.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
CarolinaCaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Faulk and Harrison must have been brutal tonight. Well, even more brutal than everyone besides Ward.
If not for Ward, we give up 10+ goals. Ward was actually phenomenal last night. Hard to win when you give up FIFTY SHOTS.

CarolinaCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
Am I the only person who's OK with the booing? I mean it's not like Winnipeg has any built in rivalries off the bat, and they're playing in the Eastern Conference when about half the Western Conference is farther east then they are.
There is nothing wrong with a little booing, their fans just do it at such an excess that it seems mindless. They have a great atmosphere in their building. I just think they could try to utilize it in a positive manner. I doubt their players get excited excited when their fans boo and taunt the other team. More often than not it probably just motivates the opposing teams players, like it did with Staal the other week.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
the booing doesn't bother me, its the stupid chants that never seem to work... not that I care to much but just boo don't chant esp when it isn't working.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
WWAD

Quote:
To me it seems just so embarrassingly try hard.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
LadyCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
To me it seems just so embarrassingly try hard.
Agreed. It's like they're trying way too hard to prove that they're the biggest and bestest fans in the league. To me it's the fanbase equivalent of the person who just got a new girlfriend after having been single forever and is going around bragging about how great she is and every sentence starts with "Well, my new girlfriend...". We get it, Winnipeg, you're no longer #foreveralone. We're happy for you, but to be honest, none of us REALLY care that much. STFD and **** and stop trying so hard to prove you're one of the big kids now.

That said, this stance may be hypocritical of me, because one of the things I love about college hockey is the obnoxious cheers, the "SIEVE! SIEVE! SIEVE!" and the "**** 'em up, **** 'em up, rah rah rah!" and so forth.

LadyCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Those are the clean ones

Old
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
caniac315

vCash: 625
Did anyone see the Huffington Post story about the game last night? They corrected it now, but it seems they posted it first as the South Carolina Hurricanes. That's just wrong. This is the addendum at the end....

CORRECTION: An earlier headline for this article mistakenly identified the Hurricanes hockey team as the South Carolina Hurricanes. They are the Carolina Hurricanes.

caniac315 is offline   Reply With Quote