HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Sedin should have gotten a fine or a one-game suspension. His action was not nearly at the same level as Keith's offense, but what he did should still not be ignored.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Sedin should have gotten a fine or a one-game suspension. His action was not nearly at the same level as Keith's offense, but what he did should still not be ignored.
A fine at the very most. Suspending that hit would suggest that there have been about 500 suspensions this year.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Like I said before... what would you say if Keith would have been out with a concussion now? It's possible with that hit and Keith was lucky enough to stay healthy.

Sedin would have gotten a suspension with a Keith injury

Old
03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Like I said before... what would you say if Keith would have been out with a concussion now? It's possible with that hit and Keith was lucky enough to stay healthy.

Sedin would have gotten a suspension with a Keith injury
Concussions are tricky, but quite honestly... a lot fewer players are going to get injured from an impact to the head of the Sedin on Keith ilk than of the Keith on Sedin ilk.

Basically, it was a soft hit. Rather minimal risk of injury. Now before someone pipes in with the inevitable "wow you know nothing about concussions blah blah derp," I do... I've had several of them playing hockey myself. That impact was a pretty soft one. Sedin deserved a fine at the most. And Keith, of course, is perfectly fine health-wise.

If he got injured, Sedin would have gotten suspended. But that's the rub - very few players, if any, will get concussed from that hit. If they did... well, we'd have a couple hundred guys sitting out with head injuries. Luckily the players are not quite that frail.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
A fine at the very most. Suspending that hit would suggest that there have been about 500 suspensions this year.
I didn't realize there was as many shoulder to the head hits that were late as I thought.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Sarava

Quote:
If the Sedin hit was suspendable, then there would have been a hell of a lot more suspensions this season in the NHL. That hit happens in nearly every game of the year.

I will admit that the majority of you are simply unable to see anything without wearing Blackhawk-tinted glasses... but that's about it.
I named 3 people who have been involved in the NHL longer than most of us have been alive...and all you come back with is citing the opinions of trolls in the general forum?

I guess this discussion is over from my end. Neither of us are giving in.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
you're joking right? Those hits don't happen every night, and it was a clear target. Sedin was late, hit his shoulder to the head of Keith (a lot like Brendan Smith's hit on Ben Smith in the preseason - 5 games) and it you could tell he meant to do it.

That is the type of hit they have to remove as well, When players hit other players high when the puck is long gone, and intend to injure guys. If Keith was injured, I guarantee it would of been suspendable. Fortunately, Sedin is a ***** and doesn't hurt anybody.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
I didn't realize there was as many shoulder to the head hits that were late as I thought.
That was no more late than your typical hit in the NHL. It was 1 second after he got rid of the puck at the most.

It was more like "shoulder to the shoulder + head" than anything else. Sedin didn't make contact with solely Keith's head.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

If this hit by Sedin deserved a suspension, I must ask why the NHL specifically said the hit was NOT deserving of external discipline when asked that question a day or two ago.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
This thread does not deliver. Someone needs to make a GDT.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
If this hit by Sedin deserved a suspension, I must ask why the NHL specifically said the hit was NOT deserving of external discipline when asked that question a day or two ago.
There have been a lot of questionable hits the NHL hasn't suspended for this year.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
This thread does not deliver. Someone needs to make a GDT.
Nobody wants to be responsible for making a GDT for what will likely be a loss today. No Toews and no Keith sucks.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Nobody wants to be responsible for making a GDT for what will likely be a loss today. No Toews and no Keith sucks.
Haha the GDT is done...and we're going to be winning tonight

Old
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
There have been a lot of questionable hits the NHL hasn't suspended for this year.
No one's denying that

Ultimately, it's simple. The NHL has deemed that hits like this one are simply not suspendable offenses.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
No one's denying that

Ultimately, it's simple. The NHL has deemed that hits like this one are simply not suspendable offenses.
Based on which examples?

Old
03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Based on which examples?
This one, Zach Bogosian (three different times this season, IIRC), etc. etc.

People need to realize that not every hit that makes some contact with a guy's head is going to result in (or deserves) a suspension.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
This one, Zach Bogosian (three different times this season, IIRC), etc. etc.

People need to realize that not every hit that makes some contact with a guy's head is going to result in (or deserves) a suspension.
The Sedin hit wasn't major, but it should not have been ignored like it has.

I agree that not every headshot will not result in a suspension, but based on the NHL's concern with concussion and concussion-related symptoms, you would think there would be some sort of punishment for each headshot, right?

Old
03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
The Sedin hit wasn't major, but it should not have been ignored like it has.

I agree that not every headshot will not result in a suspension, but based on the NHL's concern with concussion and concussion-related symptoms, you would think there would be some sort of punishment for each headshot, right?
Of course there should be something for every headshot, I think we all agree there. I would have endorsed a small fine for this one - at least let Sedin know he did something wrong.
But nothing more than a fine. Based on precedent set by no discipline being given on similar hits to that one all year long, you can't make an example out of Daniel freakin' Sedin of all people and suspend him.
It was the same argument I was making to Canucks fans before we knew what Keith's suspension would be. I predicted 2-5 games because it was (at least in my opinion) essentially the same as Bourque's hit, and Keith wasn't a repeat offender like Bourque was. Precedent dictated that Keith would get 5 games max, and that's exactly what happened.

Meanwhile, precedent would suggest that Sedin deserved a soft, soft, soft slap on the wrist at most, or nothing. He got the latter, which at least for me was far from unexpected.

What the league should be doing is a different argument than what it is and has been doing. I agree that suspensions and punishments for headshots need to be more severe.
But based on how the NHL has done it all year long, both Sedin and Keith got pretty much exactly what they deserved.
If Bourque had been suspended for 10 games, then I'd have put my guess for Keith's suspension at 6-10 games. But now I'm droning on and on and I think you get my point

I think people misunderstood me in this thread. I do believe that Sedin's hit on Keith was illegal, and in an ideal NHL world deserves some kind of discipline. But you can't give him a suspension when guys have gotten off this year with more dangerous hits than that one.
So like I said, a fine at the most.

I do hope the NHL takes a more iron stance on these hits next year.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Haha the GDT is done...and we're going to be winning tonight
We all know who to blame if Hawks don't win tonight

Old
03-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
So.... Taking the twins thing into account.

Do you think Henrick got a headache when Keith hit Daniel?

Old
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Concussions are tricky, but quite honestly... a lot fewer players are going to get injured from an impact to the head of the Sedin on Keith ilk than of the Keith on Sedin ilk.

Basically, it was a soft hit. Rather minimal risk of injury. Now before someone pipes in with the inevitable "wow you know nothing about concussions blah blah derp," I do... I've had several of them playing hockey myself. That impact was a pretty soft one. Sedin deserved a fine at the most. And Keith, of course, is perfectly fine health-wise.If he got injured, Sedin would have gotten suspended. But that's the rub - very few players, if any, will get concussed from that hit. If they did... well, we'd have a couple hundred guys sitting out with head injuries. Luckily the players are not quite that frail.
Like **** it was a soft hit. And it seems quite obvious you have had a few yourself, and perhaps with more of an affect than you'd like to admit. I repeat myself when I say that no one really knows what affect that head shot had on DK. According to your flawed logic, all players should do the Sedin dive when they get a questionable hit.
Unfortunately some of these Europeans think the same way. Say what you will about Don Cherry but he has been warning fans about this influx of soccer-style faking in the NHL for a decade now. And it is here! DK could easily have faked injury on that play but didn't. GOOD ON HIM.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Chelios

Quote:
If the Sedin hit was suspendable, then there would have been a hell of a lot more suspensions this season in the NHL. That hit happens in nearly every game of the year.

I will admit that the majority of you are simply unable to see anything without wearing Blackhawk-tinted glasses... but that's about it.
So Cherry, Milbury and Fraser all have Blackhawk tinted glasses? It drives me crazy when people who disagree with someone just resort to the "OMG your such a homer...." response. Daniel clearly targeted Duncan Keith's head with that hit. He came in from the blind side and exploded into Keith's head with his shoulder well after the puck had been cleared. It should have been suspendable. If you disagree, then fine, but don't tell me its because we are blind homers. As has been mentioned time and time again there are many knowledgable neutral hockey people who feel the same way.

The most annoying part of this whole situation to me is that if, after the Sedin hit, Keith had laid on the ice clutching his head Sedin probably would have got a major penalty, most likely would have had supplemental discipline and Keith wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Chelios

Quote:
This is absolutely 100% false. Concussions are all about the force transmitted to the brain. A player skating towards and exploding into another player's head with his shoulder is transmitting significantly more force than a player sticking his elbow out as he skates by another player.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Based. On. Precedent. Sedin. Deserved. No. Punishment.

Enough already. This is such a stupid thing to be arguing about when the decision was already made.
And thanks BobbyJet, quite classy to insinuate I might have permanent brain trauma

Old
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
This is absolutely 100% false. Concussions are all about the force transmitted to the brain. A player skating towards and exploding into another player's head with his shoulder is transmitting significantly more force than a player sticking his elbow out as he skates by another player.
Watch the two hits. If you honestly think more force was exerted on Keith's head than on Sedin's head, then please tell me so I don't waste my time talking about this with ya.

Really have had enough in this thread. People love to argue about things that happened days ago and which the NHL has already decided upon, so you guys have fun.

Closed Thread