HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2012, 12:32 PM
  #401
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Sedin should have gotten a fine or a one-game suspension. His action was not nearly at the same level as Keith's offense, but what he did should still not be ignored.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:35 PM
  #402
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Sedin should have gotten a fine or a one-game suspension. His action was not nearly at the same level as Keith's offense, but what he did should still not be ignored.
A fine at the very most. Suspending that hit would suggest that there have been about 500 suspensions this year.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
  #403
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,226
vCash: 500
Like I said before... what would you say if Keith would have been out with a concussion now? It's possible with that hit and Keith was lucky enough to stay healthy.

Sedin would have gotten a suspension with a Keith injury

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
  #404
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Like I said before... what would you say if Keith would have been out with a concussion now? It's possible with that hit and Keith was lucky enough to stay healthy.

Sedin would have gotten a suspension with a Keith injury
Concussions are tricky, but quite honestly... a lot fewer players are going to get injured from an impact to the head of the Sedin on Keith ilk than of the Keith on Sedin ilk.

Basically, it was a soft hit. Rather minimal risk of injury. Now before someone pipes in with the inevitable "wow you know nothing about concussions blah blah derp," I do... I've had several of them playing hockey myself. That impact was a pretty soft one. Sedin deserved a fine at the most. And Keith, of course, is perfectly fine health-wise.

If he got injured, Sedin would have gotten suspended. But that's the rub - very few players, if any, will get concussed from that hit. If they did... well, we'd have a couple hundred guys sitting out with head injuries. Luckily the players are not quite that frail.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
  #405
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
A fine at the very most. Suspending that hit would suggest that there have been about 500 suspensions this year.
I didn't realize there was as many shoulder to the head hits that were late as I thought.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  #406
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
If the Sedin hit was suspendable, then there would have been a hell of a lot more suspensions this season in the NHL. That hit happens in nearly every game of the year.

I will admit that the majority of you are simply unable to see anything without wearing Blackhawk-tinted glasses... but that's about it.
I named 3 people who have been involved in the NHL longer than most of us have been alive...and all you come back with is citing the opinions of trolls in the general forum?

I guess this discussion is over from my end. Neither of us are giving in.

Sarava is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  #407
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
A fine at the very most. Suspending that hit would suggest that there have been about 500 suspensions this year.
you're joking right? Those hits don't happen every night, and it was a clear target. Sedin was late, hit his shoulder to the head of Keith (a lot like Brendan Smith's hit on Ben Smith in the preseason - 5 games) and it you could tell he meant to do it.

That is the type of hit they have to remove as well, When players hit other players high when the puck is long gone, and intend to injure guys. If Keith was injured, I guarantee it would of been suspendable. Fortunately, Sedin is a ***** and doesn't hurt anybody.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
  #408
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I didn't realize there was as many shoulder to the head hits that were late as I thought.
That was no more late than your typical hit in the NHL. It was 1 second after he got rid of the puck at the most.

It was more like "shoulder to the shoulder + head" than anything else. Sedin didn't make contact with solely Keith's head.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
  #409
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
If this hit by Sedin deserved a suspension, I must ask why the NHL specifically said the hit was NOT deserving of external discipline when asked that question a day or two ago.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
  #410
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
This thread does not deliver. Someone needs to make a GDT.

brtriad is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
  #411
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
If this hit by Sedin deserved a suspension, I must ask why the NHL specifically said the hit was NOT deserving of external discipline when asked that question a day or two ago.
There have been a lot of questionable hits the NHL hasn't suspended for this year.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
  #412
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte
 
MadhouseOnMadison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
This thread does not deliver. Someone needs to make a GDT.
Nobody wants to be responsible for making a GDT for what will likely be a loss today. No Toews and no Keith sucks.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
  #413
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Nobody wants to be responsible for making a GDT for what will likely be a loss today. No Toews and no Keith sucks.
Haha the GDT is done...and we're going to be winning tonight

Sarava is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #414
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
There have been a lot of questionable hits the NHL hasn't suspended for this year.
No one's denying that

Ultimately, it's simple. The NHL has deemed that hits like this one are simply not suspendable offenses.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
  #415
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
No one's denying that

Ultimately, it's simple. The NHL has deemed that hits like this one are simply not suspendable offenses.
Based on which examples?

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
  #416
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Based on which examples?
This one, Zach Bogosian (three different times this season, IIRC), etc. etc.

People need to realize that not every hit that makes some contact with a guy's head is going to result in (or deserves) a suspension.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  #417
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
This one, Zach Bogosian (three different times this season, IIRC), etc. etc.

People need to realize that not every hit that makes some contact with a guy's head is going to result in (or deserves) a suspension.
The Sedin hit wasn't major, but it should not have been ignored like it has.

I agree that not every headshot will not result in a suspension, but based on the NHL's concern with concussion and concussion-related symptoms, you would think there would be some sort of punishment for each headshot, right?

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
  #418
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The Sedin hit wasn't major, but it should not have been ignored like it has.

I agree that not every headshot will not result in a suspension, but based on the NHL's concern with concussion and concussion-related symptoms, you would think there would be some sort of punishment for each headshot, right?
Of course there should be something for every headshot, I think we all agree there. I would have endorsed a small fine for this one - at least let Sedin know he did something wrong.
But nothing more than a fine. Based on precedent set by no discipline being given on similar hits to that one all year long, you can't make an example out of Daniel freakin' Sedin of all people and suspend him.
It was the same argument I was making to Canucks fans before we knew what Keith's suspension would be. I predicted 2-5 games because it was (at least in my opinion) essentially the same as Bourque's hit, and Keith wasn't a repeat offender like Bourque was. Precedent dictated that Keith would get 5 games max, and that's exactly what happened.

Meanwhile, precedent would suggest that Sedin deserved a soft, soft, soft slap on the wrist at most, or nothing. He got the latter, which at least for me was far from unexpected.


What the league should be doing is a different argument than what it is and has been doing. I agree that suspensions and punishments for headshots need to be more severe.
But based on how the NHL has done it all year long, both Sedin and Keith got pretty much exactly what they deserved.
If Bourque had been suspended for 10 games, then I'd have put my guess for Keith's suspension at 6-10 games. But now I'm droning on and on and I think you get my point

I think people misunderstood me in this thread. I do believe that Sedin's hit on Keith was illegal, and in an ideal NHL world deserves some kind of discipline. But you can't give him a suspension when guys have gotten off this year with more dangerous hits than that one.
So like I said, a fine at the most.

I do hope the NHL takes a more iron stance on these hits next year.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
  #419
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace
 
RedBaronIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Haha the GDT is done...and we're going to be winning tonight
We all know who to blame if Hawks don't win tonight

RedBaronIndian is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 02:35 PM
  #420
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
So.... Taking the twins thing into account.

Do you think Henrick got a headache when Keith hit Daniel?

Gnova is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
  #421
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Concussions are tricky, but quite honestly... a lot fewer players are going to get injured from an impact to the head of the Sedin on Keith ilk than of the Keith on Sedin ilk.

Basically, it was a soft hit. Rather minimal risk of injury. Now before someone pipes in with the inevitable "wow you know nothing about concussions blah blah derp," I do... I've had several of them playing hockey myself. That impact was a pretty soft one. Sedin deserved a fine at the most. And Keith, of course, is perfectly fine health-wise.If he got injured, Sedin would have gotten suspended. But that's the rub - very few players, if any, will get concussed from that hit. If they did... well, we'd have a couple hundred guys sitting out with head injuries. Luckily the players are not quite that frail.
Like **** it was a soft hit. And it seems quite obvious you have had a few yourself, and perhaps with more of an affect than you'd like to admit. I repeat myself when I say that no one really knows what affect that head shot had on DK. According to your flawed logic, all players should do the Sedin dive when they get a questionable hit.
Unfortunately some of these Europeans think the same way. Say what you will about Don Cherry but he has been warning fans about this influx of soccer-style faking in the NHL for a decade now. And it is here! DK could easily have faked injury on that play but didn't. GOOD ON HIM.

BobbyJet is online now  
Old
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
  #422
Chelios
Registered User
 
Chelios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
If the Sedin hit was suspendable, then there would have been a hell of a lot more suspensions this season in the NHL. That hit happens in nearly every game of the year.

I will admit that the majority of you are simply unable to see anything without wearing Blackhawk-tinted glasses... but that's about it.
So Cherry, Milbury and Fraser all have Blackhawk tinted glasses? It drives me crazy when people who disagree with someone just resort to the "OMG your such a homer...." response. Daniel clearly targeted Duncan Keith's head with that hit. He came in from the blind side and exploded into Keith's head with his shoulder well after the puck had been cleared. It should have been suspendable. If you disagree, then fine, but don't tell me its because we are blind homers. As has been mentioned time and time again there are many knowledgable neutral hockey people who feel the same way.

The most annoying part of this whole situation to me is that if, after the Sedin hit, Keith had laid on the ice clutching his head Sedin probably would have got a major penalty, most likely would have had supplemental discipline and Keith wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did.

Chelios is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 04:46 PM
  #423
Chelios
Registered User
 
Chelios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Concussions are tricky, but quite honestly... a lot fewer players are going to get injured from an impact to the head of the Sedin on Keith ilk than of the Keith on Sedin ilk.
This is absolutely 100% false. Concussions are all about the force transmitted to the brain. A player skating towards and exploding into another player's head with his shoulder is transmitting significantly more force than a player sticking his elbow out as he skates by another player.

Chelios is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
  #424
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Based. On. Precedent. Sedin. Deserved. No. Punishment.

Enough already. This is such a stupid thing to be arguing about when the decision was already made.
And thanks BobbyJet, quite classy to insinuate I might have permanent brain trauma

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
  #425
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
This is absolutely 100% false. Concussions are all about the force transmitted to the brain. A player skating towards and exploding into another player's head with his shoulder is transmitting significantly more force than a player sticking his elbow out as he skates by another player.
Watch the two hits. If you honestly think more force was exerted on Keith's head than on Sedin's head, then please tell me so I don't waste my time talking about this with ya.

Really have had enough in this thread. People love to argue about things that happened days ago and which the NHL has already decided upon, so you guys have fun.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.