HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Shanahan’s ruling on Keith a big deal (5 games for Dunc)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Like **** it was a soft hit. And it seems quite obvious you have had a few yourself, and perhaps with more of an affect than you'd like to admit. I repeat myself when I say that no one really knows what affect that head shot had on DK. According to your flawed logic, all players should do the Sedin dive when they get a questionable hit.
Unfortunately some of these Europeans think the same way. Say what you will about Don Cherry but he has been warning fans about this influx of soccer-style faking in the NHL for a decade now. And it is here! DK could easily have faked injury on that play but didn't. GOOD ON HIM.
Don Cherry has been warning people about all of the baaaad things outside of Ontario for years.

Which is a big part of the reason he's such a moron.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Based. On. Precedent. Sedin. Deserved. No. Punishment.
Based. On. Rule 48. Yes. He. Does. If you disagree, then fine. But stop acting all high and mighty pretending that there is no question that you are right. As has been said time and time again, which you refuse to acknowledge, many prominent hockey people (including Kerry Fraser of all people) thought Sedin deserved supplemental discipline.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Watch the two hits. If you honestly think more force was exerted on Keith's head than on Sedin's head, then please tell me so I don't waste my time talking about this with ya.

Really have had enough in this thread. People love to argue about things that happened days ago and which the NHL has already decided upon, so you guys have fun.
I watched the two hits. A player skating and then exploding into another player's head with his shoulder delivers more force than a fly by elbow.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Based. On. Rule 48. Yes. He. Does. If you disagree, then fine. But stop acting all high and mighty pretending that there is no question that you are right. As has been said time and time again, which you refuse to acknowledge, many prominent hockey people (including Kerry Fraser of all people) thought Sedin deserved supplemental discipline.
Then why wasn't he suspended? Why have so many players with hits that were quite honestly worse than that one gotten off with either a small fine or nothing at all?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
I watched the two hits. A player skating and then exploding into another player's head with his shoulder delivers more force than a fly by elbow.
"Exploding?" Yeesh, you guys are insufferable. That was one of the softer hits I've seen all year long.

It was hardly a "fly by" elbow. Really, the appropriate time to use the word "exploded" would be Keith's hit, not Sedin's - Keith came up and blasted Sedin in the face with it.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Then why wasn't he suspended? Why have so many players with hits that were quite honestly worse than that one gotten off with either a small fine or nothing at all?
My guess would be because he is not known as a dirty player, he is out anyways and Keith didn't flop to the ice like he was shot after the initial hit. The fact that he didn't get suspended in and of itself doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been suspended. Unless you believe that Brendan Shanahan is infallible and never makes a mistake.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Chelios

Quote:
"Exploding?" Yeesh, you guys are insufferable. That was one of the softer hits I've seen all year long.

It was hardly a "fly by" elbow. Really, the appropriate time to use the word "exploded" would be Keith's hit, not Sedin's - Keith came up and blasted Sedin in the face with it.
Sedin is skating in at Keith from the blind side with his knees bent, as he comes in to make the hit he straightens up and delivers a direct blow to Keith's head. On the other play Keith is stepping up on Sedin (presumably to make a hit), when he realizes that Sedin is going to get he sticks out the elbow.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
My guess would be because he is not known as a dirty player, he is out anyways and Keith didn't flop to the ice like he was shot after the initial hit. The fact that he didn't get suspended in and of itself doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been suspended. Unless you believe that Brendan Shanahan is infallible and never makes a mistake.
Ahaha, I am inclined to hate Shanahan from his Red Wings days

It's not that I believe the NHL always makes the right decision.

It is simply that precedent dictates Sedin should have received either a fine (at most) or nothing at all. Worse hits than that one have gone unpunished.

It doesn't make it right, but it doesn't matter. The NHL has made it reasonably clear what is suspendable and what isn't. It's why most of us with any knowledge of the league knew that Keith wasn't getting more than 5 games for that hit.

In an ideal world, of course what Sedin did should have had some type of consequence! He made pretty direct contact with Keith's head, after all. But in the current NHL where precedent has already clearly been set, Sedin got the punishment that he deserved from the league: nothing.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

I think I've said a few times that I'm done with this thread, so let this be the last time I say that

Time to move on. Respond if you guys want to, but I've said all I'm ever going to say, and we're just going in circles now.

So let's go ahead and watch the Hawks beat Nashville, hm?

Old
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Don Cherry has been warning people about all of the baaaad things outside of Ontario for years.

Which is a big part of the reason he's such a moron.
Well he does go over the top at times, and I don't always agree with him, but most of the time he is right, even if it isn't immediately apparent.

The day that diving becomes acceptable behaviour in the NHL, is the day the game has been ruined by the foreign influence.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
BobbyJet

Just watched the Avs-Canucks highlights from this afternoon ... more head shots by both teams. It's become an epidemic and has to stop!

Old
03-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Ok , This thread has run its course

Keith suspension begins tonight , Sedin is out and I dont think there is much more to discuss

This thread is heading towards talk that is non-productive nor needed

Hopefully Dunc comes back refreshed and ready to go

Closed Thread